New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default RIP John Peter Bain a.k.a. TotalBiscuit

I just learned of Totalbiscuit's passing.. poor man. He was basically my age :(

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RIP John Peter Bain a.k.a. TotalBiscuit

Damn.

That's the way it goes with cancer, it can take you real fast from fine to not. A year or so ago, by accident, me and my Dad met one of his mates down at the park, where he was racing model power boats. He told my Dad he'd been diagonosed with some form or other (I forget what). But it was barely a couple of weeks - Dad was away and had planned to go see him when he got back, his mate died. I thank the stars we'd bogged up that day, as if gave Dad one last chance to speak to his mate... And his mate was at least able to enjoy himself a bit before the end. (And he, at least, was fortunate enough to make into his sixties.)

I was only a very casual listen/viewer, but my symapthies go out to his family, friends and fans.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

It was not that surprising. His most recent announcement was that his liver was too damaged to participate an experimental trial and on the podcast he said multiple times doctors recommending to cease care. At least the proceeds of his career left his family with something other than grief.

This may be the first millenial celebrity to die of natural causes *mortality shivers*
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that's awful to hear. I wasn't very familiar with him, but I used to watch his Hearthstone videos every now and then, and he seemed like a good guy from those. I'd heard he'd been diagnosed with cancer a little while back, but didn't know it was bad enough that it might take him so quickly. He will be missed, I'm sure.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I watched him a good deal in high school, but haven't seen much of his stuff since then. Still, one or two of the games I still play today came from him recommending them during that period, so I can't say this doesn't hit me on some level. Thanks for everything, dude. :/

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I just learned of Totalbiscuit's passing.. poor man. He was basically my age :(
    Cripes. Now I need to go check that Beaglerush is okay...
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was a very casual watcher of his videos, but he seemed like a nice chap.

darn shame.

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am still reeling from the news. I mean, him having cancer was no secret but still

I haven't been watching a lot of his videos lately, on account of my machine being too old for most new games, but it was still entertaining and helpful to watch those I did.

He wasn't afraid to call out the biggest names in the industry if he felt they were taking gamers for a ride. At the same time he did his part to promote indie titles he thought were worth it.

RIP
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Great Modthulhu: Be aware that one thread about this has already been locked for violating the board rules on permissible topics. I recommend people be very careful and limit themselves to expressing condolences for the loss of the individual in question.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Great Modthulhu: Be aware that one thread about this has already been locked for violating the board rules on permissible topics. I recommend people be very careful and limit themselves to expressing condolences for the loss of the individual in question.
    Deeply troubling that they couldn't the first time around.

In any case, I will confess that I wasn't a huge fan of the man's body of work. But I did quite enjoy his Terraria Let's Plays with JesseCox. It's always deeply sad when a promising and vital young voice in the arts passes on. I held and still hold an enormous respect for the man and his pro-consumer positions and am deeply saddened by his passing. The most fitting tribute now is to continue his work where he left it off. As far as consumer advocacy goes, there's always work to be done.

Sincerest respects, TB.