New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    It's currently control winter. I'm staying away until they put commander in and add support for phones.
    Aren't they only including some of the newer sets?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

For now. I'm hoping older sets get added. And if not, well, they've had as much time from me on it as they're going to get.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

For now. I'm hoping older sets get added. And if not, well, they've had as much time from me on it as they're going to get.
    Wouldn't count on any more sets.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

All of Standard is in, and they don't plan on adding supplemental sets, because that's not what Arena's for.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Arena is probably why they introduced Brawl as a format, so they can have commander in arena without having to implement all the old sets
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the thing, though. Arena has a 60-card, standard-only singleton format. It is not brawl. It has no commanders.

A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Arena is probably why they introduced Brawl as a format, so they can have commander in arena without having to implement all the old sets
    Brawl isn't in Arena. You can only draft and play standard constructed. And... that's honestly not the magic I play.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Brawl isn't in Arena. You can only draft and play standard constructed. And... that's honestly not the magic I play.
    Relax, Arena is still in closed beta and the implemented features are bugging out sometimes. I disconnected for a few games already and a bugged interaction denied my input to summon a creature.

I don't think if someone used his ingame gold on a Brawl or Draft and then the game bugs out majorly, they'd get angry. It needs polish and stability, then we can talk about adding features imho.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So I just had a thought for a modern deck... I'm not sure how realistic pulling it off is but if you manage to get at least 2 Anointed Processions and a Spawnsire of Ulamog on the board you basically have unlimited mana and you also get to flood with as many eldrazi as you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    So I just had a thought for a modern deck... I'm not sure how realistic pulling it off is but if you manage to get at least 2 Anointed Processions and a Spawnsire of Ulamog on the board you basically have unlimited mana and you also get to flood with as many eldrazi as you want.
    That is pretty unrealistic. A four drop enchantment that doesn't win the game or put you in dominating position is just too slow in Modern. Also, the ability on Spawnsire can only get Eldrazi from your sideboard in competitive Modern play.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2018-07-15 at 09:49 PM.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

After several years I finaly made a new EDH deck. It's Brion Stoutarm's Rugby playing field. With fans of the Boros Legion.
    Of course, I ran into the age-old EDH problems: 100 card solts are not enough! Currently at 105 and I not sure what to cut. Maybe the fine Magic-afine ladies and gentlemen on this forum can help me out?

The deck:

Spoiler
    Show
    Creature (28)
    1x Ajani's Pridemate
    1x Anarchist
    1x Burnished Hart
    1x Captain of the Watch
    1x Evangel of Heliod
    1x Giant Harbinger
    1x Hamletback Goliath
    1x Hedron-Field Purists
    1x Hellrider
    1x Karmic Guide
    1x Kor Duelist
    1x Mirror Entity
    1x Mother of Runes
    1x Odric, Master Tactician
    1x Preacher
    1x Purphoros, God of the Forge
    1x Reya Dawnbringer
    1x Scourge of Geier Reach
    1x Serra Ascendant
    1x Serra Avatar
    1x Siege-Gang Commander
    1x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x Sun Titan
    1x Sunhome Guildmage
    1x Sunspear Shikari
    1x Taurean Mauler
    1x Valduk, Keeper of the Flame
    1x Vulshok Sorcerer

Land (38)
    1x Battlefield Forge
    1x Boros Garrison
    1x Boros Guildgate
    1x Clifftop Retreat
    1x Ghost Quarter
    13x Mountain
    1x Needle Spires
    13x Plains
    1x Rogue's Passage
    1x Sacred Foundry
    1x Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
    1x Temple of the False God
    1x Temple of Triumph
    1x Wind-Scarred Crag

Instant (9)
    1x Blessed Light
    1x Boros Charm
    1x Comet Storm
    1x Dawn Charm
    1x Rootborn Defenses
    1x Secure the Wastes
    1x Shattering Pulse
    1x Street Spasm
    1x White Sun's Zenith

Enchantment (6)
    1x Angelic Accord
    1x Angelic Renewal
    1x Assemble the Legion
    1x Dictate of Heliod
    1x Flickerform
    1x Oblivion Ring

Artifact (11)
    1x Argentum Armor
    1x Basilisk Collar
    1x Darksteel Plate
    1x Elixir of Immortality
    1x Scythe of the Wretched
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Spear of Heliod
    1x Staff of Nin
    1x Sword of Light and Shadow
    1x Ur-Golem's Eye
    1x Whispersilk Cloak

Sorcery (7)
    1x Act of Treason
    1x Fireball
    1x Mass Calcify
    1x Mizzium Mortars
    1x Traitorous Blood
    1x Traitorous Instinct
    1x Vandalblast

Planeswalker (5)
    1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
    1x Ajani Goldmane
    1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1x Koth of the Hammer
    1x Nahiri, the Harbinger

Candidates for cuting:

Ajani's Pridemate Maybe I'm not that much of a Lifegain deck. Sure, gaining (lots) of life is the plan but it is mostly done in larger chunks once a turn or so instead if the Soul Warden "oops, my Ajani's Pridemate is a 12/12 on turn 4" style of life gain. Maybe it is just mediocre in my deck.

Hellrider Great card and I do have lots of token producers (it's kind of the second game plan of this deck) but maybe it is to much of a win-more? Still, end of turn Secure the Wastes, then Hellrider smash for millions seems to good to pass...

Purphoros Very strong and would without a doubt perform well in this deck. The issue is that he may be too strong: I have a dislike for "oops, I win" combos and while Purphoros + mass token producing is not quite on the level of Purphoros + Cloud of Fairies would be, it is very close.

Elixir of Immortality I do have some ammount of graveyard recuring and rather few draw effects. Maybe I just don't need Elixir.

Blessed Light Maybe I don't need it, but I have not that much removal for enchantments or exile effects for creatures. I feel a bit uncomfortable with cuting it, but maybe I should replace it with Angelic Edict. Sure, sorcery speed is worse but at least I could get it back with Anarchist...

Comet Storm/Fireball Maybe I don't need two fireball effects. But I would like to draw one with some ammount of consistency to close out a game.

Act of Treason / Traitorous Blood / Traitorous Instinct Maybe three Threaten effects are to many? But these effects are great with Brion so I don't feel comfortable with going less then three.

I probably need to make more then 5 cuts, since my mana situation is not ideal. Currently it's just Burnished Hart, Sol Ring and Ur-Golems Eye. I probably should make room to include at least one of the likes of Land Tax, Armillary Sphere or Weathered Wayfarer, and one or two additional mana rocks.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2018-07-17 at 09:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

This might not be too helpful but just something I noticed: I think you could cut down on the threaten effects. They're good with Brion but kind of inconsistent and quite weak in a multiplayer game when Brion isn't on the field--and he won't be all the time, he's a big threat. That said, you could look intro replacing at least one of them with Captivating Crew, which can do that repeatably, even if it's pricey to drop it and do it in the same turn.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, you have a point that Brion will not always be on the field. But I will try with 3 Threaten, as stealing the opponents creates and tossing them right back was kind of the original idea of this deck.
    I will keep the Captivating Crew in mind, good find!

Cuts and changes so far:

Cuts:
    - Ajanis Pridemate: it just not the right deck for it
    - Siege Gang Commander: it feels like he is playing his own sidegame of tossing goblins - of that there are none besides him self, his gang, Mirror Entity and Taurean Mauler. I'm sure he would pull his weight but I have to make cuts...
    - Dawn Charm: it is really nice to have and I would love to have a slot for it, but it is not essential and Boros Charm and Rootborn Defense simply do more against board wipes
    - Elixir of Immortality: don't need it
    - Fireball: I do want acces to this kind of effect, but I have to settle with one card. But maybe I should axe the Comet Storm and keep the Fireball, just for the sake of Anarchist...
    - Koth: after having reduced the number of mountains Koth is just bad in this deck. An easy cut!

Changes:
    Minus 4 Mountains
    Plus 2 Plains
    Plus Command Tower
    Plus Slayers Stronghold
    Plus Boros Keyrune
    Changed Blessed Light for Angelic Edict

I need to make one more cut to make room for Land Tax or Armillary Sphere...
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2018-07-17 at 04:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I would like some feedback on a deck a cooamnder deck Im trying to make about:

Jalira, Master Polymorphist

I wanted to make it a token, Undead theme... And a bit of milling. A lot in fact. But I have trouble finishing the deck...

First, can that commander be good?

And second... is that strategy any good? Im not sure how many creatures I should have. Should all of them have a way to come back from the Graveyard, like the Undying ability? Should I add Elixir of Immortality or Perpetual Timepiece?

EDIT: Should I use Stitcher Geralf instead as my commander?

Spoiler: The deck
    Show
    Creatures: (10)

Rusted Slasher
    Reef Worm
    Forgotten Creation
    Thopter Assembly
    Docent of Perfection
    Chasm Skulker
    Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    Laboratory Maniac
    Psychosis Crawler
    Thing in the Ice

Sorcery: (8)

Preordrain
    Ponder
    Windfall
    Rite of Replication
    Wash Out
    Polymorph
    Tinker
    Milotic Manipulation

Instant: (17)

Ray of Command
    Swan Song
    Cyclonic Rift
    Arcane Denial
    Hinder
    Lat Nam Legacy
    Boomerang
    Marchant Scroll
    Fabricate
    Visions of Beyond
    Brainstorm
    Hurkyl's Recall
    Milotic Manipulation
    Oona's Blessing
    Think Twice
    Steel Sabotage
    Day's Undoing

Enchantement (7)

Shinx Tutelage
    Intruder Alarm
    Control Magic
    Compulsion
    Skywise Teaching
    Ensoul Artefact
    Metallurgic Summoning

...Artefacts: (17)

Hedron Archive
    Sky Diamond
    Grimoire of the Dead
    Coats of Arm
    Thought Vessel
    Proteus Staff
    Armillary Sphere
    Mind's Eye
    Lightning Grease
    Eldrazi Monument
    Batterskull
    Sickleslicer
    Chemeric Mass
    Acorn Catapult
    Nuisance Engine
    Crawlspace
    Vedalken Shakles

Planeswalker: (2)

Jace, Memory Adept
    Jace, Unralver of Secrets
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-07-18 at 07:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jalira, tokens, and self-mill are the bread and butter of her archetype.

The usual strategy is to have some cheap token producing spells, and only high mana creatures in the deck, preferably with powerful ETB effects. I'd cut a lot of the weaker creatures in your deck like Fatestitcher, add a few more things like Stormtide Leviathan, and add some Thopter producers as mono blue Zombies is sadly hard to do. Rise from the Tides is definitely a great centerpiece card in the deck, if you can dig it out of your graveyard at all reliably.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Jalira, tokens, and self-mill are the bread and butter of her archetype.

The usual strategy is to have some cheap token producing spells, and only high mana creatures in the deck, preferably with powerful ETB effects. I'd cut a lot of the weaker creatures in your deck like Fatestitcher, add a few more things like Stormtide Leviathan, and add some Thopter producers as mono blue Zombies is sadly hard to do. Rise from the Tides is definitely a great centerpiece card in the deck, if you can dig it out of your graveyard at all reliably.
    Thanks for your imput!

However, I discovered a few things while making this deck... One of them being Living Weapons and Chimeric Mass.

Both doesnt count as creature when you seek your deck with either the commander,Polymorph spell or Proteus Staff.

With that in mind, I took off most of my creature that werent HORROR... Why? Because of the synergy the monster have between them. Thing in the Ice for exemple will be able to clear the field while my biggest more threatening monsters remain on the field.

I added a few artefacts that give tokens as you suggested. Tell me if I need more things that give free tokens, like Flayer Husk, Mortar Pod or Skinwing

... Im not sure how many lands should I keep available though but I figured 39 was enough
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-07-18 at 03:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Hey all. I just wanted to let you all know I just received 5 additional closed beta keys to Magic the gathering Arena. If anyone is interested, please let me know.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Hey all. I just wanted to let you all know I just received 5 additional closed beta keys to Magic the gathering Arena. If anyone is interested, please let me know.
    they want to do a stress test

on Friday, July 20 between the hours of 12PM – 8PM PDT (7PM – 3AM UTC) and get access to:
    • Half-Off Draft Event. Draft Core Set 2019 for half-off (2,500 Gold or 375 Gems) with all the same rewards!
    • No-Entry Constructed Event. Play in a special constructed event with no entry fee and extra prizes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your 5 Closed Beta Access Codes:
    kx9-wqaa-rrc
    ema-ugom-jec
    z4d-6a6t-181
    y3w-1b1p-a38
    ut1-ak3b-8fp

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

I also have some beta keys. Only gonna give 2 here, because I know some other people who might want some.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    1jo-qejd-ec3
    msw-xh41-hqe

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Im working every days for the whole month of July... Won't be able to participate in this, unfortunatly.

21. - Top - End - #381

A friend gave me a MTG Arena promo code, but I can't seem to get it to work.... T____T

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

I still got my codes.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I still got my codes.
    Can you PM me one?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

What are those codes giving us btw?

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    What are those codes giving us btw?
    Beta Access mostly. I think a bit of starting gold to invest into your first deck though there are a few nice decklists out there that just use the cards you get with the game. Other than that, you can start grinding the daily quest - and if you are good with drafting, you can grind it for packs You pull equal with 4 wins (1 loss allowed, second one is kill afaik).

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Oooh, I'll take one of those codes too then! If someone want to share that is

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, I'll take one of those codes too then! If someone want to share that is
    we posted a few in the thread, just try them out.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Fire up MTG Arena before 1. of August to get 3 packs and 5k gold for free.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

... I just discovered I should play Commander with a different group. OMG I was so eager to play my Toothy and Pir deck but one game I was focused by one player. He made me mill half my deck! (for NO reasons! He started it and never stopped it! 4 cards a turn for 10 turns) and the other I was playing against a competitive deck with almost no answer agaisnt.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-07-25 at 10:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Bugbear in the Playground

... I just discovered I should play Commander with a different group. OMG I was so eager to play my Toothy and Pir deck but one game I was focused by one player. He made me mill half my deck! (for NO reasons! He started it and never stopped it! 4 cards a turn for 10 turns) and the other I was playing against a competitive deck with almost no answer agaisnt.
    To be fair, having half of your deck milled is probably an advantage.

Mill is pretty difficult to make work in Commander, and unless you're going infinite you sort of have to focus one player or you're never going to get anything done.