New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    It is a time war, they have to fetch the eldrazi to kill him.

Our Lady returns.
    Too Much Flesh vs Not Enough Flesh is a compelling idea, but we're never seeing Yawg back.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I know, but I can dream...

They do need some new recurring villains with the Eldrazi and Nicol Bolas gone. Xenagos seems intetesting, lillia feels inevitable with her having the chain-veil free, they need some new ones though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #1383

I know, but I can dream...

They do need some new recurring villains with the Eldrazi and Nicol Bolas gone. Xenagos seems intetesting, lillia feels inevitable with her having the chain-veil free, they need some new ones though.
    Xenagos is sadly confirmed Very Dead.

Liliana is literally no longer a villain, and she still has the Chain Veil. The Raven Man and the Onakke Spirits are still around and still causing trouble.

Tezzeret is a recurring villain, as is Ob Nixilis. Those are big players. As well, much of Kasmina's lines in MTG Arena are hinting at her being in control of an order of Planewalkers across the Multiverse. Davriel isn't a villain but he's attached to an engimatic group of planeswalkers that could easily serve as villains. Those are the biggest Things I can think of at the moment, beyond Emma and Phyrexia at the moment.

Dovin is also still around but he's blind. I imagine there's also other Bolas minions now free to do whatever they see fit, and the Chandra comics are making use of Tibalt. There's also Sorin and Nahiri's hate ***** for each other, and if they want they can extremely play Viviene Reed as a green villain (Garruk is also a thing).
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-06-03 at 08:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    I've heard rumors that Theros might be coming back. I pray that this is the case, cause I love Theros.

Color Philosophy Question: How would you describe a friend of mine? He claims to be Grixis, but TBH I've never seen the slightest bit of black in him. He's a fanatical worshipper of science (Blue) but doesn't do all that well with authority (Red). Lately I've noticed him seeming more and more tribalistic, demonizing people that he doesn't like (aka anti-vaxers and the "bigoted *******s" who "don't believe in science", which I saw as a very White characteristic. He'd probably deny it if I said he seemed Jeskai to me, but do y'all think these characteristics seem to fit?

And if so, what positive traits would be shared with a Red-primary Jund (me)?
    That just sounds like Izzet. Is he concerned with finances? That’s a little black.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've heard rumors that Theros might be coming back. I pray that this is the case, cause I love Theros.

Color Philosophy Question: How would you describe a friend of mine? He claims to be Grixis, but TBH I've never seen the slightest bit of black in him. He's a fanatical worshipper of science (Blue) but doesn't do all that well with authority (Red). Lately I've noticed him seeming more and more tribalistic, demonizing people that he doesn't like (aka anti-vaxers and the "bigoted *******s" who "don't believe in science", which I saw as a very White characteristic. He'd probably deny it if I said he seemed Jeskai to me, but do y'all think these characteristics seem to fit?

Izzet or Jeskai seem fine, if he believes in unethical scientific experiments he could be Grixis.

Love of efficiency, hatred of weakness, freedom of expression. You differ in science versus nature, learning for its own sake versus learning for survival.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking that with Liliana no longer being a villain, now would be a good time for Garruk to come back and bite her butt. I like it because it would probably involve at least an attempt at trying to heal him, which ties back to Lili's brother.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

Please do not be offended but Magic color personality matching sounds eerily like horoscopes to me...

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Banned

It is a time war, they have to fetch the eldrazi to kill him.

Our Lady returns.

Edit: Other then being Phyrexia based I have no idea what the next meta-arc is about. The Weatherlight is back so we have two seta of protags available.
    That just leads to a compleated Emrakul down the road and nobody wants that.

Do remember that Yawgmoth was NEVER A PLANESWALKER, and he killed/lobotomized the original oldwalker that brought him into Phyrexia, made Urza fight his master creation for his amusement after having him kill his friends, and almost killed Urza when he believed the 'oldwalkers are all powerful and unbeatable' spiel and trying to tackle Phyrexia on his own.

Then instead of wimping out like Bolas with his army of dead teens, he built a whole freaking world of nanomachines, and then threw that entire world on top of his target world, watsaplanarbridge.jpg.

Emrakul got punk'd by neowalkers with attitude. Not even a match.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    That just leads to a compleated Emrakul down the road and nobody wants that.

Do remember that Yawgmoth was NEVER A PLANESWALKER, and he killed/lobotomized the original oldwalker that brought him into Phyrexia, made Urza fight his master creation for his amusement after having him kill his friends, and almost killed Urza when he believed the 'oldwalkers are all powerful and unbeatable' spiel and trying to tackle Phyrexia on his own.

Then instead of wimping out like Bolas with his army of dead teens, he built a whole freaking world of nanomachines, and then threw that entire world on top of his target world, watsaplanarbridge.jpg.

Emrakul got punk'd by neowalkers with attitude. Not even a match.
    Emrakul got beaten by a group of Oldwalkers channeling an entire plane to use as a weapon, her incomplete remnant lost to Nuwalkers. The plot would be more like Eldrazi+New Phyrexia+Gatewatch vs Yawgmoth, because villain vs villain is more fun.

I know it won't happen, but I happen to like extravaganza type sets. War of the Spark was amazing.

10. - Top - End - #1390

Everything Yawgmoth did was pre-mending, where the planar bounds where more fragile.

Emrakul was sealed away with her fellows by Ugin, Sorin, and Nahiri pre-mending as well.

The Gatewatch did not defeat Emrakul. At all. You have to understand this. Emrakul was amused by their struggle and decided it'd make more sense to bide her time till they would be more receptive of her great will. The heroes did not defeat her.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Firbolg in the Playground

He'd probably deny it if I said he seemed Jeskai to me, but do y'all think these characteristics seem to fit?
    No, just Temur. I view him as viewing science as a dogma rather that engaging in critical review and consideration. Temur bands with his tribe, hates the outsiders, and respects those who do science. Unless he is aiming to profit from demonization, he doesn't seem black to me.

Indeterminate, since colors are descriptive rather than prescriptive and most personality traits are independent of color alignment. Have you considered instead numerology, horoscopes, and online quizzes?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    No, just Temur. I view him as viewing science as a dogma rather that engaging in critical review and consideration. Temur bands with his tribe, hates the outsiders, and respects those who do science. Unless he is aiming to profit from demonization, he doesn't seem black to me.
    That makes sense to me. Up until a month ago I had him down as Temur, before I seized on the idea of "dogmatism=white". You seem to have him down pretty well.

Izzet or Jeskai seem fine, if he believes in unethical scientific experiments he could be Grixis.

Love of efficiency, hatred of weakness, freedom of expression. You differ in science versus nature, learning for its own sake versus learning for survival.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    That just sounds like Izzet. Is he concerned with finances? That’s a little black.
    Or maybe pure Izzet. It's definitely his strongest pair, but I try to avoid two-color combinations for people, because it misses out on crucial bits of personality (yes, I know the entire system does this). Four is too complicated/boring, but three is the perfect number.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Please do not be offended but Magic color personality matching sounds eerily like horoscopes to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Indeterminate, since colors are descriptive rather than prescriptive and most personality traits are independent of color alignment. Have you considered instead numerology, horoscopes, and online quizzes?
    I am not offended. I get that a lot.

I don't think this particular friendship is on the rocks or anything. There is no immediate need to sort things out, but I enjoy sorting people by color and other theoretical systems and I thought it would be enjoyable to conduct an experiment and see whether the color chart matches up with personal philosophy differences.

And no, I do not follow my horoscope. I also don't use online quizzes to sort people, in fact it is those types who give all "lets-put-people-into-arbitrary-distinctions" people a bad name.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

Nicol Bolas also definitely isn't dead, so I'm sure at some point far down the road we'll see him wreak some havoc again.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

14. - Top - End - #1394

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Nicol Bolas also definitely isn't dead, so I'm sure at some point far down the road we'll see him wreak some havoc again.
    Honestly not for a VERY long time. Everyone thinks he's dead due to Jace and he lost his spark and all his magic. He can't see he can't fly he can barely move. Dude's not going anywhere for a long time. Also Ugin is there, forever, watching him.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Honestly not for a VERY long time. Everyone thinks he's dead due to Jace and he lost his spark and all his magic. He can't see he can't fly he can barely move. Dude's not going anywhere for a long time. Also Ugin is there, forever, watching him.
    Bolas will probably come back after the next version of the Mending, so at least five years.

Ironically I only started liking the Gatewatch plot with Hour of Devastation, and now they are dialing it back. Having them get stomped gave the whole thing more poignancy, and Jace became a lot more likable.

16. - Top - End - #1396

Bolas will probably come back after the next version of the Mending, so at least five years.

Ironically I only started liking the Gatewatch plot with Hour of Devastation, and now they are dialing it back. Having them get stomped gave the whole thing more poignancy, and Jace became a lot more likable.
    T... there is never going to be anything like the Mending again. At all. The Mending is called as such because it's literally both in and out of universe them scrabbling together everything they can to fix the canon so it's actually usable. The canon is reasonable now, there's not a reason to ever have something that intrinsicly changes the nature of the spark again, because it's good now.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

It would be bad if they changed the lore now with the Netflix serie incoming about MTG.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ettin in the Playground

That makes sense to me. Up until a month ago I had him down as Temur, before I seized on the idea of "dogmatism=white". You seem to have him down pretty well.

Or maybe pure Izzet. It's definitely his strongest pair, but I try to avoid two-color combinations for people, because it misses out on crucial bits of personality (yes, I know the entire system does this). Four is too complicated/boring, but three is the perfect number.

I am not offended. I get that a lot.

I don't think this particular friendship is on the rocks or anything. There is no immediate need to sort things out, but I enjoy sorting people by color and other theoretical systems and I thought it would be enjoyable to conduct an experiment and see whether the color chart matches up with personal philosophy differences.

And no, I do not follow my horoscope. I also don't use online quizzes to sort people, in fact it is those types who give all "lets-put-people-into-arbitrary-distinctions" people a bad name.
    Well, I can’t get anymore accurate for myself than black/blue. According to this test, I’m overwhelmingly black/blue:
    https://still-anchorage-15218.herokuapp.com/resultsPage

That said, if we were going with a three color identity, I am pegged as 20% green and only 10% white and 10% red, so Sultai would fit me best.

What matters to me is I grow stronger and richer and more knowledgeable, while my enemies grow weaker and poorer and more ignorant. I do whatever it takes to win in the long run—rather that means suppressing my emotions to work under somebody or betraying somebody at a crucial moment.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Banned

Well, I can’t get anymore accurate for myself than black/blue. According to this test, I’m overwhelmingly black/blue:
    https://still-anchorage-15218.herokuapp.com/resultsPage

That said, if we were going with a three color identity, I am pegged as 20% green and only 10% white and 10% red, so Sultai would fit me best.

What matters to me is I grow stronger and richer and more knowledgeable, while my enemies grow weaker and poorer and more ignorant. I do whatever it takes to win in the long run—rather that means suppressing my emotions to work under somebody or betraying somebody at a crucial moment.
    Yes but how is that relevant to the card game?

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Sure, but things change. If they were going to kill him, they would have just killed him. After all, you don't get rid of a perfectly good villain. They've kept the story resource available to them should they come up with a good reason to use it. Bolas still has allies out there.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2019-06-05 at 12:21 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

21. - Top - End - #1401

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Sure, but things change. If they were going to kill him, they would have just killed him. After all, you don't get rid of a perfectly good villain. They've kept the story resource available to them should they come up with a good reason to use it. Bolas still has allies out there.
    Yeah but don't expect Bolas in five years. We just got finished with what are effectively ten entire years of Bolas. We're not seeing him again for a very long time.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

Can we please discuss the actual game, not the incredibly vague and dumb colour philosophies?

Any cards people are excited to get from MH1? I know a few people after Urza and Ayula.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

I know how it relates to Magic the Gathering, but all this talk about color identity of real people probably veers too close to a philosophical discussion to really belong in this thread.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

Can I just say, I love Command the Dreadhorde with Golgari Explore core? :)

A megalomaniac win con that uses the graveyard, life as ressource, goes off like a combo deck and is still fun to interact with. It also crushes Mono Red
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-06-05 at 10:53 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Can I just say, I love Command the Dreadhorde with Golgari Explore core? :)

A megalomaniac win con that uses the graveyard, life as ressource, goes off like a combo deck and is still fun to interact with. It also crushes Mono Red
    Mono Red just won our local MCQ so that seems interest. Got a list?

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Mono Red just won our local MCQ so that seems interest. Got a list?
    There ya go: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public/119716

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone else find cabal therapist really frustrating? The only way to use it I can find is sack it to itself.

If menace was death touch it would at least have been flexible, but its timing means you can't really peak at their hand to know what to pick until t3 (either peak t1 or peak after activation t2.)

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ettin in the Playground

What is the worst creature card?

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

What is the worst creature card?
    It depends on what your metric for "Worst" is.

Is it Scornful Egotist? Him having a very high CMC only allows for some very narrow applications.

Is it chimney imp? Similar scenario, very high CMC for what little it does.

Is it Wood Elemental? It's probably Wood Elemental.

In addition to costing 4 to cast in the first place, you then have to sacrifice UNTAPPED forests in order for him to do anything. I legitimately cannot imagine a deck or scenario where Wood Elemental is a card you ever actually want to play. You're overpaying for a creature that is functionally vanilla.

Funnily, he might be usable in decks like Titania, Omnath Locus of Rage, or even Lord Windgrace if the "untapped" restriction weren't there.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2019-06-05 at 06:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think Leviathan was a strong contender from my youth. He was so very Timmy, but in the wrong colors and so expensive no one every lived to cast it.