New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Help with references

Hi guys,

Currently, I will like to develop a setting based on the premise:

“...after the onset of an unbearable day and a night, and the Isle of Atlantis sank below the sea and disappeared forever.” Or so we thought...

My idea is that the gods incarcerated the Atlantean king Atlas in a magical tomb underneath the capital of Atlantis as punishment for his crimes (which will be revealed through the campaign) they removed the capital and surrounding waters encapsulated it in magical fields and hid it in between the planes.

This happened as the same time the continent was sinking, and the few Atlantean survivors only saw the capital disappear in a flash of blinding lights nobody knows the fate of the King of Atlantis.

They were survivors transported with the capital are the forefathers of the current inhabitants of my setting. For the Atlanteans I am planning to use the Tieflings as the gods punished them for their arrogance and changed into monster looking race to reflect their actions. I was also going to use humans & Minotaurs (UA Waterborne supplement) for sure and probably add more races (uncommon ones) as I go...

At this point I am just looking for references, if they are of the inhabitants of Atlantis, like how many different races they were in Atlantis. Names of places that I can use etc... So please if you know something, can you let me know?
    Avatar courtesy of the Awesome & Talented Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Help with references

It is going to be hard there, as Atlantis isn't a D&D setting but a very old Egyptian and Greek myth. Looking at those, Numenor from the LotR, and Avalon myths from Ireland will help.

In D&D you get a lot of Post-Apoc stuff based on Tolkein. Forgotten Realms is basically nothing but Roman Empire and Atlantis references.

Basically though you need:
    1. What was Atlantis like at height?
    2. Why did the Gods destroy it?
    3. What are the survivors like?
    4. What would be the consequnces of its return?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do you mean references to the ancient myths regarding Atlantis? I'd start with Wikipedia; and in fact I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Atlantis (Ancient Greek: Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος, "island of Atlas") is a fictional island mentioned within an allegory on the hubris of nations in Plato's works Timaeus and Critias, where it represents the antagonist naval power that besieges "Ancient Athens", the pseudo-historic embodiment of Plato's ideal state (see The Republic). In the story, Athens repels the Atlantean attack unlike any other nation of the (western) known world,[1] supposedly giving testament to the superiority of Plato's concept of a state.[2][3] The story concludes with Atlantis falling out of favor with the deities and submerging into the Atlantic Ocean.

Despite its minor importance in Plato's work, the Atlantis story has had a considerable impact on literature...
    Note that, according to Wikipedia's article on Atlas, the king of this island is the son of Poseidon and a mortal woman, not the titan who holds up the sky; different guy, same name.

The footnotes inside the quote will provide older references, and the rest of the Wikipedia article gives other historical perspectives on the myth.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

For games, I think Primeval Thule references Atlantis, and there's 'what it says on the tin' Atlantis, the Second Age.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you guys for all your help! I know it was a tall order to start but now I have some info to start with!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    For games, I think Primeval Thule references Atlantis, and there's 'what it says on the tin' Atlantis, the Second Age.
    Thanks, I got a hold of the 5E version and it looks like a good start. I think I’ll use it as a template and build from there.