New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (D&D 5e) The Plague of Nightmares IC

"Wait, someone killed him, when we weren't looking?!"

The gnome frantically investigates the site of the murder, looking for any signs the assailant might have left behind. Perhaps some hair belonging to the assailant, grasped by Imbert. Some kind of cloth or tread from the assassin's clothes. A footprint or two, indicating where he or she came from and escaped to...

Investigation: (d20+5)[23]
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

"How ssstrange. Where did you go, assssassssin?"

Spoiler: survival to look for tracks
    Show

(1d20+4)[14]
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

rest now priest.
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    "Wait, someone killed him, when we weren't looking?!"

The gnome frantically investigates the site of the murder, looking for any signs the assailant might have left behind. Perhaps some hair belonging to the assailant, grasped by Imbert. Some kind of cloth or tread from the assassin's clothes. A footprint or two, indicating where he or she came from and escaped to...

Investigation: [roll0]
    On a board from the wagon just behind Imbert's back you can find a single black feather sticking from a slit in the wood. You recognized no such thing before you began your search.

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "How ssstrange. Where did you go, assssassssin?"

Spoiler: survival to look for tracks
    Show

[roll0]
    You carefully examine the area, but the assassin appears to have left no tracks of any sort that majorly help. Next to Imbert's body there are a couple of black feathers on the ground and in the cart, about 5 or so in total, but nothing that could give you any sense of direction. This person was exceptional at stealth it seems, though apparently no master as evidenced by the feathers left.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuzu looks at the black feather carefully, trying to ascertain:

1. How fresh is it? Does the shaft still feel warm to the touch?

2. How was it torn off? Is the base of the calamus torn and maybe even bloody, or does it look like it molted off?

3. What type of feather is it? Is it a large flight feather, or a more soft and fluffy down feather?

4. How big is the feather, relative to the Zuzu's ten inch wand?

5. Is it possible to ascertain whether the feather belonged to a bird mount, or a humanoid avian like an Aarakocra?

Nature: (1d20+3)[21]
    Now Playing

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zuzu looks at the black feather carefully, trying to ascertain:

1. How fresh is it? Does the shaft still feel warm to the touch?

2. How was it torn off? Is the base of the calamus torn and maybe even bloody, or does it look like it molted off?

3. What type of feather is it? Is it a large flight feather, or a more soft and fluffy down feather?

4. How big is the feather, relative to the Zuzu's ten inch wand?

5. Is it possible to ascertain whether the feather belonged to a bird mount, or a humanoid avian like an Aarakocra?

Nature: [roll0]
    1) The feather is definitely fresh and feels quite warm.
    2) It appeared to have been already loose on the animal itself as a result of the beginning of molting and then was plucked off by the boards of the wood.
    3) It is a down feather, but a rather strangely tightly bound one
    4) It is slightly shorter than Zuzu's wand, suggesting that it must have been quite a size-able bird
    5) Just by looking at it you cannot tell what it came from, but the feather does remind you of a crow's.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Whoever did it flew in with wings. Either under his or her own power, or on an exceptionally well-trained bird, a giant raven maybe," Zuzu says after he completes his investigation of the feather. "If you want to find them, I think you should look up and not down."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-06 at 07:47 PM.
    Now Playing

8. - Top - End - #98

Intresting
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

9. - Top - End - #99

Intrestingfine than let js find the killer.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Yvonne knelt as she traced the holy sign of Vitay in the air above the dead priest, to beseech her protection for his soul on the way to the afterlife. As the child spoke of flying on giant birds, the knightess spoke somewhat dryly."I imagine somewhat that is a Kenku feather. Most other birds are not known for wielding knives, and I dare say we would have noticed a bird large enough to carry a man flapping in among us."
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

11. - Top - End - #101

so small knife wielding bird kills preist after we attempt to learn anything.the spirit has secrets i doubt the kenku is alive they are probably much like the wolves.to seckenried than
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Intelligence (Nature) check: What does Zuzu know about kenku?

(d20+3)[13]
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-09 at 12:20 AM.
    Now Playing

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Intelligence (Nature) check: What does Zuzu know about kenku?

[roll0]
    Note: some of the things in here are just weird rumors that are not true at all, but Zuzu does not know that.

Kenku are short, flightless bird people that can mimic any sound they here (but you are unaware that they can only speak through mimicry). They are commonly found in cities and have a bad tendency to take on less than reputable lines of work. It is said that if that they are hit by silver than they will be rendered paralyzed. They are also able to communicate with birds as if they shared a language and can control them to a certain degree. When in their presence, the wind always seems to be oddly excited and erratic.
    -

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You all continue down the silvery road, onward towards Senckried to continue with your mission. It is not long until you come across a massive wrought iron gate 50 ft. in length which blocks the entryway into a relatively narrow valley into Senckried. Just within there is a guard house and within it four guards tasked with making sure no one with harmful intentions will enter the fief. You all walk up to the gate and find that it will be unnecessary to call for help, for there are already two guards standing directly in front of the gate facing you. The two of them are clearly natives to the area and it is quite obvious by their signature "Senckried" appearance. Needless to say that the people are certainly not the most attractive, but they are definitely not as hideous as the rumors would have you believe. It is not humanly possible for them to be something to be anymore lankier than they are, and despite the fact that guards like them probably eat well they are still gaunt. The most striking feature though is their faces with oddly extended noses and ears. The bags below their eyes always make them seem sleepy, which in this case is correct, but even where they fully awake they would still look like that. The rumors have proven to be true to a certain extent, but if they were true then the people of Senckried would look like monsters, but despite their odd features you can clearly identify them as humans. And their eyes remain the same as everybody else's so they are not impossible to sympathize with.

Beyond the iron bar between you one of the men reveals his voice. "You cannot... cannot enter. No one shall enter Senckried. Leave, leave now. Turn back before it is too late." His voice is inundated with pain and fear, making him quiver much like the flame of the lantern he is holding. You can hear his erratic breathing through the bars. He clearly does not want to say that, but he is staying it anyway. His friend next to him simply clutches his head while quietly sobbing to himself.

That does not make any sense though. The lord of Senckried explicitly asked for help on curing the plague, why would he suddenly give contradictory orders. Something is not right here.
    -

15. - Top - End - #105

so if i am correct do not enter sayeth you. The message from the lord of this fief said "come help End the plague." a mystery to be sure.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sariel Vailo View Post
    so if i am correct do not enter sayeth you. The message from the lord of this fief said "come help End the plague." a mystery to be sure.
    The guard at the gate is getting increasingly distressed and starts stuttering. "He... he... cha... cha... changed his mind, changed his mind. No one enters Senckried. No one. "
    -

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuzu resolves to craft for himself a spell that will be able to detect the subtle presence of magic spells, as he focuses his gaze on the guards' strange behavior. Are there any indications that an enchantment is afoot? Or are the guards somehow under duress?

Arcana: (1d20+5)[21]
    Insight: (1d20)[15]

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that we had the benefit of a short rest, Zuzu will use arcane recovery to recover one level 1 spell slot.
    Now Playing

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zuzu resolves to craft for himself a spell that will be able to detect the subtle presence of magic spells, as he focuses his gaze on the guards' strange behavior. Are there any indications that an enchantment is afoot? Or are the guards somehow under duress?

Arcana: [roll0]
    Insight: [roll1]

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that we had the benefit of a short rest, Zuzu will use arcane recovery to recover one level 1 spell slot.
    There does not appear to be any magic involved, but the two guards are frightened to their very cores. If you did not know any better, you would believe that they had weapons pointed at their heads. They are deeply terrified of something, but you cannot tell what. Nothing seems amiss from what you can see.
    -

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zuzu tries to look the part of a frazzled woebegone traveler in need of shelter.

"Please sir," he says in a small pitiable tone, "There are bad things out here! You wouldn't turn away needy travelers, would you?"

To accentuate the point, mournful wolf howls, growing progressively louder, start to emanate in the background.

Persuasion: (1d20-1)[17]
    Sleight of Hand to hide the fact that Zuzu just cast Minor Illusion: (1d20+3)[17]
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-10 at 10:57 PM.
    Now Playing

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zuzu tries to look the part of a frazzled woebegone traveler in need of shelter.

"Please sir," he says in a small pitiable tone, " There are bad things out here! You wouldn't turn away needy travelers, would you?"

To accentuate the point, mournful wolf howls, growing progressively louder, start to emanate in the background.

Persuasion: [roll0]
    Sleight of Hand to hide the fact that Zuzu just cast Minor Illusion: [roll1]
    They do not seem to notice that you cast the spell. At this point the leading gaurd is clutching his head to and making some sort of sobbing noise too. "There are worst things in here! Just leave."
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-03-10 at 09:40 PM.
    -

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Yaotl is irritated that Zuzu is talking in his color.
    "Could you ssspare medical help? We have wounded. He gestures to his considerable injuries (he's at 4HP).

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

More devilry afoot. No surprise. The knightess stepped up to the bars, and her tone was sharp and commanding.
    "I am Knightess Yvonne, the Faithful! You have little right and even less cause to bar my passage. I have come to slay the evil in this land and ensure the safety of the Lady Yuria Senckreid. Now let me through!"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yaotl is irritated that Zuzu is talking in his color.
    "Could you ssspare medical help? We have wounded. He gestures to his considerable injuries (he's at 4HP).
    Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    More devilry afoot. No surprise. The knightess stepped up to the bars, and her tone was sharp and commanding.
    "I am Knightess Yvonne, the Faithful! You have little right and even less cause to bar my passage. I have come to slay the evil in this land and ensure the safety of the Lady Yuria Senckreid. Now let me through!"
    When you mention Lady Yuria the both of them suddenly seem to perk up. The leading gaurd begins to open his mouth to speak...

"None shall enter Senckried!". The sound though is not coming from the guards mouth though, it came from behind you. Needless to say, standing directly behind the group not even 10 ft. away is the ghost you saw before. "Turn back now. Do not walk any further. Stay away from Senckried."

The guards at the gate suddenly become rigid, as if in anticipation for something. It seems as if they were strangely expecting this. Both of them seem to open their mouths once again to but no words come out.

Needless to say, this ghost is beginning to piss you off more than a little. You were always told encounters with phantoms would be terrifying, but instead you just feel annoyed.
    -

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The "phantom" was getting on Zuzu's nerves.

The underage wizard had just one reply.

Deflagro!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fire Bolt. (d20+5)[19]. On hit: (d10)[10]. On crit: (1d10)[6].

Not expecting it to do any damage, but ehh.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-11 at 08:27 PM.
    Now Playing

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Yaotl agrees with Zuzu completely. "You bore me, phantom. All threatsss and blussster. Thisss pack challengesss your dominance! Defend yourssself!"

Flames roar to life beneath the ghost, as Yaotl creates a bonfire beneath it.
    Spoiler: roll the save
    Show

(1d20)[11] + its Dex save bonus (DC 12) or (1d8)[7] fire damage.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The "phantom" was getting on Zuzu's nerves.

The underage wizard had just one reply.

Deflagro!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fire Bolt. [roll0]. On hit: [roll1]. On crit: [roll2].

Not expecting it to do any damage, but ehh.
    Yaotl agrees with Zuzu completely. "You bore me, phantom. All threatsss and blussster. Thisss pack challengesss your dominance! Defend yourssself!"

Flames roar to life beneath the ghost, as Yaotl creates a bonfire beneath it.
    Spoiler: roll the save
    Show

[roll0] + its Dex save bonus (DC 12) or [roll1] fire damage.
    Your attacks do nothing against the ghost, who simply looks smugly at you. He suddenly gives a grin, as if he has already won. For not accomplishing anything he looks oddly triumphant. It isn't until soon after that you realize what is going on.

"LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!" One of the guard's screams at you all. Everything at that point afterwards happens too quickly for you to get a good grasp on what is going on. The gate in front of you quakes and instantly shatters into a thousand shards of wrought iron. Accompanying it is a burst of thunder that wrings your ears out. Some shapes are flung past you, but you cannot immediately tell what they are. All of you turn in the direction of the levelled gate to see a kenku standing in the moon-light, holding a broken shard of mica in his or her hands. You cannot quite tell where the guards went.

From behind you, you can hear the ghost screaming. "Hemra, you dunce! You were supposed to set the damn shatter off next to them, not 5 yards away!" The light that was generated from the ghost before now subsides and instead you hear the unexpected noise of leather boots hitting the ground. Once you turn back to see the ghost you realize that it is gone, and in its place is a man of flesh who is nearly identical to the ghost has just landed on the ground with a thud from his formerly floating position. He must have been a man who was only temporarily ethereal. He takes out two sabres which shine in the moonlight.

Despite the fact that you are utterly confused as to what is going on, the kenku is much too shocked by her failure and the once ethereal man is to busy berating her to really focus you. You have enough time to react in the weird chaos.

Combat has begun. You have won initiative.

Enemy statistics coming up very soon.
    -

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

FYI, the ranger is in the bonfire. If he ends his turn there, he has to make the save again.

Yaotl looks ready for the fight. "Guardsss! Aid usss for your homeland!"

He then conjures a cloud of green mist, sending it flying into Hemra's face.
    Spoiler: con save (dc 12)
    Show
    (1d20)[1] against (1d12)[11] poison damage

Yaotl isn't sure if she's dead or dying, but the poison definitely did the trick.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-11 at 09:56 PM.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"HIEMO!" Zuzu shouts as he takes cover from the saber-wielding man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move away from him.
    Frostbite. DC 13 CON save (d20+4)[19] to avoid (d6)[6] cold damage. On a failed save, the man has disadvantage on the next attack he makes, before his next turn ends.

Alas, the man seems unaffected by his cantrip.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-11 at 11:15 PM.
    Now Playing

29. - Top - End - #119

is this one of the reasons you fear guards. she will want to stay notified and take the dodge reaction
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Shrapnel bounced harmlessly off her shield as the metal of the gate shattered explosively. Swiftly, the snake-man dispatched the kenku, and so Yvonne focused on the erstwhile phantom.
    "Your trickery has failed, craven!"
    Yvonne clanged her sword against her shield.
    "Mine armour ist faith! Mine sword ist judgement! Come forth, ye wicked!" She roared her battle prayer as she stomped towards the ranger, shield presented and sword ready to strike.

Yvonne moves to D7 and takes a swing at the ranger.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[15] vs 15 to hit
    If hits: (1d8+3)[7] damage

If the enemy moves away out of the fire, attack of oppotunity
    (1d20+5)[25] vs 15 to hit
    If hits: (1d8+3)[5] damage
    Last edited by Awful; 2018-03-12 at 06:02 PM.