New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [IC] Monster Hunters

Idranel accepts the hand. "I know. Usually I... have a solution. It's not fair" she says, aware that it sounds childish to complain. "You did well with that healing there. I can't do such a thing on a wide scale."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Alexander hesitates. He can see his comrade is in real pain. "It was thanks to your quick thinking that we were able to recognize the monster's multiple life-lines and quickly snuff them out. This was a team effort."

He looks up at the sky with a frown. "I cannot claim to know why the Light decided to recall these children today. But I do believe that our presence here was a part of Its plan. Perhaps we were not able to save everyone. But had we not been here at all, what would have happened? It is important to mourn the dead. But it is just as important to count the living and see how much worse things could have been."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I know you're right Alexander" Idranel says, forcing her voice to level. "And you fought very well. All of you did. And all I did was save a single person and give guidance. Still... I know that they would have been worse off if we hadn't come when we did, but I can't let myself think that they were fortunate that we showed up and they only lost friends, family and homes. It's frustrating because I can't make it right. That's what I really hate about this. That I'm powerless. And that it feels like a bigger matter to me than the tragedy these people suffered."
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2018-03-12 at 04:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274

Alexander shakes his head. "You should not feel guilty that your empathy has its limits. It is the nature of all living things to prioritize the self and kin. Without that drive, we would not have made it this far."

He smiles at Hrothrun. "Thank you, my friend. I fear my lance has little chance against a blaze of that size."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

While the main portion of the Flight is dealing with the flames Talim set up a makeshift Field Hospital to try and deal with as many of the burned villiagers as posible.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun nods back to Alexander as he finally takes a rest from creating water to throw on the fire. "Aye, and that was a nice hit from your lance there. Things could have been much worse if we hadn't put that thing down as quickly." He goes over to Talim, helping to heal the more injured townsfolk. Åska comes out of the burned forest, shaking ash and burned wood from his wings. He glances around, sees that no one else appears to be in too much danger, and takes wing, circling around to where the flames still burn on the mountainside. He begins doing what he can to make a firebreak that will at least limit the spread of the fire.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I can cast 5 Cure Light Wounds, 5 Lesser Restorations, and 3 Cure Moderate Wounds. I'll expend as many as needed.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Idranel moves to help the injured as well. It makes her feel a little better about the whole thing that she can actually be of use.

Show
    Medical training class feature, combined with uses of Healer's kit from Vest of Surgery, means that Idranel can, given time, heal people without a maximum number of targets (she merely can't help a single individual indefinitely. Healing amount is (heal check-15) x2. So between 32 and 70hp

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Between Alexander, Hrothrun, and Idranel's healing skill, all those who seemed on the edge of death are successfully brought back from it. They thank the group profusely as they come around, and eventually, one of the adults comes over. She seems unsure who to approach, but after a moment, she decides to go to Aska, since he was the one diving into the flames and setting up the firebreak, which will likely save the forest from irreparable damage. "Thank you for your help," she says. "Things certainly would have been much worse if you and your companions hadn't intervened. I... I'm afraid we don't have any means to repay you, but... I suppose anything off that beast is rightfully yours," she says.

Spoiler: Rescources Used
    Show
    Hrothrun spends (1d4)[1] Cure Light Wounds, and Idranel uses the healing kit (1d8)[8] times. Alexander, make sure you track that you've used one of your channels.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-03-13 at 09:35 AM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aska seems surprised. ”We are hunters, it’s what we do,” he replies simply, not meaning to brush off the woman’s thanks but unsure how else to respond. “I am only sorry we could not have been here sooner.” He picks up the saddle where it fell and brings it to Hrothrun. “I had to cut the straps,” he says simply.
    Hrothrun examines the damage. It was a fairly clean cut, and the saddle itself still had its integrity intact. “It’ll be a simple enough fix,” he replies, taking out some tools and quickly shaping a fastener to join the strap. It would be better to replace it entirely, but the fix should hold well enough.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

10. - Top - End - #280

Jenna grins and pulls a skinning knife out of Alexander's bag. "Weeeeeeell, since you're offering..."

Alexander frowns. "We have a mission to attend to."

"By the Light, Alexander, are you suggesting we just fly off and rudely abandon the reward these fine people have offered out of the goodness of their hearts?" Jenna asks in mock shock.

Alexander winces. "Well, no, but -"

"Perfect!" She gets to work skinning the creature, and humming to herself as she does.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun chuckles a bit as he works. "Might as well let her go about it," he says to Alexander. "I'm not going anywhere until I can repair this saddle, anyway."

-----

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

After taking the time to skin the Chimera and repair Aska's saddle, the remainder of the group doing what they can to help the villagers, the Flight decides it's time to move out again. But this time, they will be carrying on without Adim.

"I think I'm going to stay here a bit," he tells the group. "Help these folks rebuild. I'm eager to get to join Morgan, but this takes precedence, for me. I know you all have to be elsewhere, though," he says, seeing the group off with the rest of the villagers, who once again thank the group for their help.

Taking to the sky once again, you make up some ground that you lost while walking this morning. It hasn't set you behind too much, perhaps only a quarter of a day. By the time evening comes, you have crossed the border into Ice. There isn't a town to rest at tonight, not unless the group flies on past dark.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun bids Adim a final farewell and mounts up. He and Åska both fly in silence for a while. But, he is glad to see that the repairs to the saddle seem to be holding up, and to feel the familiar bite in the air as they travel northward. Towards dark, he begins to try and identify where they are, and if there's a safe place for them to make camp for the evening.

Show
    Rolling Knowledge (Geography) to determine if there's a place where we are less likely to get ambushed by some creature in the night, or at least somewhere with access to good camping ground: (1d20+1)[10] (untrained for Hrothrun, but he is from nearby-ish)
    (1d20+5)[12] (trained for Åska)

If I need to roll something else let me know and I'll roll it in the OOC

-----

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Talim and Gela also scan for campground locations.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge Geo Talim
    (1d20+11)[28]
    Survival Talim
    (1d20+13)[27]
    Knowledge Geo Gela
    (1d20+9)[19]

15. - Top - End - #285

Alexander sighs as he flies into the new territory. The chill wind feels good on his face, it almost makes him forget that he's sweating up a storm inside his armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Geography): (1d20+12)[13]
    Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) for Ice: (1d20+12)[16]
    Knowledge (Nature) about Ice's wildlife and terrain: (1d20+12)[23]
    Knowledge (Religion) about Ice's faith.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Location
    Show

Talim is able to direct the group forwards to a safe and wide landing place based on a scan of the geography below. The group touches down in a valley where a wide stream is running by. The water is shallow, so there's no threat of anything hiding in it, however, there is always the possibility of something coming up in the night to try and get to the water if you were to make camp here. All the same, the surrounding area is an open taiga, so as long as someone is on watch, likely nothing will get the jump on you. The ground is a bit marshy, and the dampness will be unpleasant to sleep on, but that's the case for most of the landscape in the Ice Realm - if it isn't marshy, it's icy.

Alexander recalls Ice is a realm known for the giants which wander the mountains, hills, and taiga. Though giants certainly aren't to be taken on lightly, the open surroundings, again, mean you will likely see them coming, if they decide to show up at all. Large animals also roam the realm of Ice, but usually the most intimidating creatures, like mammoths and dire tigers, usually stick to more open regions, where the plantlife grows more thickly and life is more easily sustained. This close to the mountains, it would be rare to run into a creature like that.

Alexander and Hrothrun both know (one from research, the other from living here) that the Ice Realm is ruled by a young Queen named Catha. She is the youngest monarch to ever sit on the throne of Ice, and was elected to the position mainly based off of the convincing words of the country's Prime Minister, Taliesin. She has only been queen for two years, now, so it is a bit early to make judgement about her rule, but she seems to be a good-hearted queen, concerned for the welfare of her people.
    As for religion, the Ice Realm can be considered one of the most reverent of not only their element, but all the elements. Their Realm is home to the most sacred site on the continent, the Pillar of the Eight. Many pilgrims make their way here, and the Ice realm is very open to travelers for this reason. They are considered neutral in terms of alignment because they welcome all and hold prejudice towards none, good or evil.

17. - Top - End - #287

Alexander smiles at Hrothrun. "I hope it isn't too stressful to return to these lands, Hrothrun. I must admit, I am rather jealous that you have had the opportunity to simply approach the Pillar of Eight without hassle. I believe that my voice may actually reach the Light if I spoke to It from there."

Jenna shakes her head. "You're such a nerd, Alexander. How about you pay attention to what actually matters? We need to get a fire going before you all freeze."

Alexander nods and looks across at Talim. "So, what is our plan? Are we going after the peryton first, or the haunted house?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun laughs. "Not at all. It's only my home town where I would be unwelcome. I don't have anything to fear coming back to the Ice realm." He glances up into the mountains, a smile twinged with a bit of regret on his face. "As far as the Pillar... my father took me to see it as a young boy. It is truly breathtaking. Perhaps we could make a trip up there once the job's done. It shouldn't take long by air. And I bet even you'd put up with the cold to get a chance to go see it, eh, Åska?"

"I have to admit, the Pillar is one of the few good reasons to travel somewhere so cold," the dragonkin replies, with a half smile on his face. The two set about gathering firewood and clearing a good site to camp. "All this marshy ground... what I wouldn't give for a proper stone to heat for the night," Åska laments, pushing into the soft earth with a claw.

-----

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Alexander nods and looks across at Talim. "So, what is our plan? Are we going after the peryton first, or the haunted house?"[/QUOTE]

"I would prefer we deal with whichever is closer. We don't know how long either mission will be so we can't prioitize by duration of mission, so we might as well deal with the closer one first."

20. - Top - End - #290

Alexander pulls out the mission dossier and looks it over. "Ah, Idranel, you have exquisite penmanship," he comments, before looking at the locations specifically.

"It seems we are closer to the peryton at the moment. Well, we just finished an exhilarating battle, but we cannot afford to stop now. This beast shall fall before our combined might!"

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"We agree" Berilian says. "Next time, I want my share of the fighting." he adds, glancing at Idranel. He pauses for a moment. "Good"

Idranel unpacks her tent from Berilian's bag, setting it up and enjoying the beautiful landscape for a long while before joining the rest of the group, hopefully by the fire. She hadn't seen the Pillar, and was excited at the prospect of seeing it, but work had to come first. The chill and damp are kept at bay by her enchanted armour.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"If the Peryton is closer then we might as well deal with it first. Now, lets split camp jobs, who wants to go hunt dinner, and what will the watch schedule be? I could do the midnight watch if you guys want."

23. - Top - End - #293

As Hrothrun begins to set up camp in an impressive manner, Alexander glances over at his other companions. "Let's review our collective knowledge before we engage. All we have on the beast is its species. What does everyone know about perytons? If we discuss this ahead of time, there will be no need to interrupt the flow of combat to discuss strategies and weaknesses."

Jenna tilts her head. "A preemptive plan of attack? ...Careful, you're starting to sound a bit cooler than a priest should."

Alexander rubs his furrowed brow. "If you don't have anything to add -"

"Fine, fine, I'll go get some firewood with Aska." She walks off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+12)[13] for Alexander

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Arcana Checks
    Show
    Everyone with 20 or above:
    Savage creatures of nightmare, perytons combine the features of stags, wolves, and great birds of prey. Though vicious beasts, perytons possess all the intelligence of a human. Perytons hunt any creature weaker than themselves, but prefer humanoid prey, as they particularly relish the taste of such creatures' still-beating hearts.

Perytons loathe all other creatures, even their own kind, and adult male perytons often attack one another on sight. However, strong females sometimes lead small family flocks composed of the alpha female, two or three weaker females, and up to six fledglings. The flock drives off males when they come of age, but females are allowed to join the pack when they mature, provided they swear allegiance to the alpha female. Unpaired males frequently attack such flocks in the hope of making off with a mate; failing that, they approach more peacefully, with offers of warm humanoid hearts (or even still-living victims) to attract females. A peryton is 4 feet in length with a wingspan of 11 feet. It weighs 250 pounds.

The creatures are resistant to common weapons, but this can be overcome with enchanted weaponry. They peryton also has a supernatural ability called Shadow Mark which it uses to make a link with itself and its next victim, giving it increased power against the target of the Mark.

25. - Top - End - #295

After Alexander listens to Idranel and Talim's explanation, he nods. "Well, then. Is there any chance that we might be able to sneak up on this beast? Do we know anything about its senses?"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: More on the Peryton
    Show
    The Peryton has Darkvision and Low Light Vision. Nothing extraordinary aside from that.

After spending a while discussing the tactics of taking down their latest target, camp is set up and the group decides to turn in, one by one, for the night. They take watches, naturally, but the night passes mostly in silence. During Gela's watch, early in the morning, a group of strange creatures are spotted wandering on the mountain behind you, but they seem either disinterested or wary, and do not approach the camp. Morning dawns.

27. - Top - End - #297

Alexander rises and gives thanks to the Light for guiding he and Jenna safely through another night of shadow.

He stands up and starts to saddle up for take off.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Idranel greets the rising sun with a yawn. She beckons her released elemental closer. "You've done well. Rest now." The mass of water shrinks down into itself and flows into the vial proffered by the rider. Of course, it didn't strictly need rest, but she thought it appreciated not having to work constantly. She's kept the fire going to have something to warm their breakfast. She wakes up those that don't rise on their own once she judges that they've had enough rest.

29. - Top - End - #299

Alexander stands up from his prayers and opens his eyes. The first thing he sees, to his surprise, is the soft glow of sunlight reflected off of his companion's long hair, carefully pulled into a ponytail. He gulps.

Alexander hesitates, then smiles and walks over to the woman as she tends to the fire. "Good morning! ...Erm, so, Idranel, can I ask you to tell me a bit about yourself? It seems like all I know about you is your name and your place of origin." He adjusts his glasses and turns his head for a moment to make sure the end of his blonde goatee is straight before turning his gaze back to her.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Good morning. And sure." she replies. "It's no dramatic secret or anything" she prefaces her story, clearing her throat and speaking up a little. "I... I'm not sure where to start..."she says, looking away for a bit. "Oh. I know. How I set off to become a Hunter. I'd always kind of dreamt of being this big, heroic kind of person. But my parents were merchants and craftsmen. I learned a bit of that craft too. Made my armour. Several over the years in fact, learning how to wear them well. I had a big brother that tried and failed to join the Hunters. I mean, I have a big brother still" she finishes awkwardly. "He's set to inherit the family business. I found my way to my dream, sort of. I'm still not much of a hero..."