New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [IC] Monster Hunters

Hrothrun chuckles. "Not at all, if you're confident enough that I've identified it correctly." Åska glances up. "I can be ready to catch you, in case the ring doesn't work," he offers.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Nah if the ring doesn't work then my flight suit will. Mind giving me some hight Gela?"

Gela rolls her eyes and kneels down so Talim can climb on. They fly a couple thousand feet up, and Talim jumps!

If the ring doesn't work he uses his flight suit to fly back to Gela's Saddle.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A couple thousand? Are you sure about that?

Talim and Gela start to climb, but as they get higher and higher away from the ground, a sickening feeling crawls up into his stomach. The feeling persists, growing worse and worse as he gets farther off the ground. When Gela reaches the peak of her flight, two thousand feet in the air, it's less of a dive and more of a swoon off of the dragon's back.

The Feather Fall does kick in, and Talim drifts slowly to the ground. Thankfully, the horrible feeling of nausea passes once his feet are on the ground again.

If Talim tries to remove the ring, he finds it seemingly stuck on his hand.

Spoiler: -evil laugh-
    Show
    Introducing the Ring of Acrophobia!

If you're more than 10 feet off the ground, it inflicts the sickened condition.
    Once you get up to 50 feet, you need to make a DC 5 Will Save or become nauseated.
    The DC of this save increases by one for every 50 feet above that you travel.
    Soo... long story short, 50 feet made that a DC 5 save, plus an additional 1950 feet on top of that, made that a DC 44 Will save just now.
    Good luck!
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

4. - Top - End - #364
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"****ing cursed, bull**** ****ing ****ty ******* wizards. Who the **** thought this was a good idea? ****ing *******s. Actually you know what I'm going to be all right. Give me a few minutes to cut my hand off."

Gela, "Don't you think that might be a bit extreme?"

5. - Top - End - #365
    Colossus in the Playground

"A cursed ring? How did someone wearing a cursed ring that makes them feel ill travel all the way from Air to Ice?" Alexander asks, raising an eyebrow.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"I don't ****ing know, but if I ever figure out who gave him this ring I'm going to ****ing choke them."

7. - Top - End - #367

Alexander scratches his head. "Well, then. All we can do for now is take these bodies with us and continue on to the hunter's home."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Idranel leaves the matter of the ring unmarked. "I agree. We are far from spent. Though we might want to double back on this area to see if there are more of the beasts, I think"

9. - Top - End - #369

Alexander nods in agreement and hops on Jenna's back. The two of them fly overhead and look for any signs of other perytons in the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20-1)[2]
    (1d20+10)[20]

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: I promise
    Show
    You killed them all!

Taking another flight above the area, the group finds nothing more. Collectively, they decide that it's time to move on to the house of the Hunter - though there is, of course, the problem of Talim feeling airsick whenever he gets more than ten feet off the ground.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

11. - Top - End - #371

Spoiler
    Show
    How long is Talim nauseated for? If we assume he failed his DC 44 Will save, you didn't give a duration on the impairment.

"We should get going. But...Talim..." Alexander frowns, lost as to what the group should do to deal with this predicament.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    How long is Talim nauseated for? If we assume he failed his DC 44 Will save, you didn't give a duration on the impairment.
    Show
    It went away as soon as he touched the ground again. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun feels partially responsible for not figuring out the ring was actually cursed. "Åska and I can stay low with you, Talim, in case we run into anything unfriendly on the way."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"That sounds like a plan" Idranel says quietly. "Alexander and I can keep watch from above."

15. - Top - End - #375

Alexander looks at Idranel worriedly. Is she going to be upset if the two of them are up there alone together? She's probably still mad at him.

He decides not to question things and simply takes off, climbing high into the air and keeping a watch out as they move on to the Hunter's manor.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    How high does Gela fly with Talim?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Talim spits "I guess we'll see how long we can fly close to the ground before we hit some trees or something. Maybe Gela and I should just head to the guildhouse."

Show
    Sorry, I was out all day.

18. - Top - End - #378

Alexander hesitates, but he nods. "Stay safe, my friend. Give Sunny my regards."

He straddles Jenna and they take off.

Show
    The plan is for Talim to low fly to the guild house while everyone else goes to the next mission. We're ready to move ahead.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"I guess we'll see you guys in a little while"
    Gela takes flight as Talim hurls off the aft end.

20. - Top - End - #380

As the group flies, Alexander sighs and pulls out his notebook. He starts writing down notes about the peryton.

"Appears to be a mixture of a hawk, a wolf and a stag. Large antlers, possibly valuable? Attaches its shadow to a target, even if that target is flying too high to cast a proper shadow. Seems to inspire fear in its targets."

He sighs and puts the notebook away. "...Are either of you concerned that Meliko might have a point? That last target wasn't much of a challenge for us. But we chose to seek it out anyway. If we keep going after small fry, our rank really might drop behind everyone else."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I try not to let her bother me. But... you aren't wrong. They did not feel too dangerous. I think we can leave missions like this to less experienced hunters." Idranel says. "However, I don't share your insecurity about official rankings." she adds in acidic tones. It looks like your talk did leave a bruise.

22. - Top - End - #382

"Insecurity?" Alexander repeats, blinking. "Is it insecure to want to get better, and to appreciate the rewards for getting better?"

He scratches the back of his neck. "Well, anyway, you both did really well in that last fight," he offers, trying to ease any tension he might have inspired before.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hrothrun shrugs. "Thanks. As for rankings... I would be willing to take on tougher bounties. The peryton certainly didn't offer too much of a challenge. It'd certainly be nice to see Meliko put in her place. Though we should probably wait for Talim to get the curse on that ring broken. If we're going to start taking tougher enemies we should at least have a full team."

-----

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Wanting to get better and wanting to increase your rank are not the same thing. One is about being strong, the other is about looking strong. And we need to report our success afterwards anyway."

25. - Top - End - #385

Alexander nods in agreement with Hrothrun. "Let's ask Sunny why the pickings for missions were so sparse earlier. There was barely any actual hunting on the list. Maybe we should have listened to Talim and gone for the strange investigation instead..."

He glances over at Idranel. "I...There are some benefits to looking strong that simple strength alone do not confer..." he says, trying to defend his integrity without appearing overly hostile.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Talim continues periodically throw up, as he flies closer and closer to the guild house. Gela has taken to flying upside down every few minutes to prevent sick from landing on herself.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Of course there are" Idranel says. You think she's smiling.

28. - Top - End - #388

Alexander relaxes a bit. "Well, then. Let's see if we can't do even better on this second mission and then return home for another fine night of drinks!"

<It's funny how the Light keeps you calm even in the face of a necromancer, but you're still too scared to ask a pretty girl for one dance.> Jenna muses.

Alexander ignores her and focuses on the flight. They shouldn't be much father from the Hunter's home ..

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

The group, except for Talim and Gela, flies farther to the east, where Hrothrun knows (with his familiarity of the territory) that the group will find Arlou. Sailing on through the crisp, clear air, it's easy for the group to begin feeling fatigue from the cold temperatures.

Spoiler: Save
    Show
    Fortitude Save, please, for the conditions. DC 15. You all get an additional +2 to the save because of the furs Sunny packed for you that you are presumably wearing.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As the northern chill creeps into the air, Hrothrun seems more chipper, while Åska's grumbling increases. He takes to breathing out small gouts of flame to keep himself warm.

Spoiler: Fort Saves
    Show
    Hrothrun (+2 for furs, +4 for tundra child trait): (1d20+16)[30]
    Åska (+2 for furs): (1d20+12)[32]
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-03-23 at 11:34 AM.

-----