New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question "Shadow Golem" -- need to find referenced creature, likely from Monster Manual II

There was a reference made elsewhere to an entry in the 3rd edition Monster Manual II -- a construct somewhat like a golem, but more clockworkish, and inhabited by a shadow spirit instead of an earth spirit.

Could someone with access to that book give me the actual name, the page number, and an overview?

Thanks.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: "Shadow Golem" -- need to find referenced creature, likely from Monster Manual II

Crafted on the plane of shadow is the shadesteel golem MM III p. 72.

Not mine but a useful list of the different kinds of golems: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...f-Golems-Redux

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Shadow Golem" -- need to find referenced creature, likely from Monster Manual II

Quote Originally Posted by lylsyly View Post
    Crafted on the plane of shadow is the shadesteel golem MM III p. 72.

Not mine but a useful list of the different kinds of golems: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...f-Golems-Redux
    Thank you.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    There was a reference made elsewhere to an entry in the 3rd edition Monster Manual II -- a construct somewhat like a golem, but more clockworkish, and inhabited by a shadow spirit instead of an earth spirit.

Could someone with access to that book give me the actual name, the page number, and an overview?

Thanks.
    The creatures you are likely thinking of are not actually classified as Golems. They are constructs, but they don't have "Golem" in their name.

They are either from Monster Manual 2 or Fiend Folio. They are featured in the first part of the Shackled City AP.

I can't remember the name but your description is a pefect fit.

I will check my books if I get home from work.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    The creatures you are likely thinking of are not actually classified as Golems. They are constructs, but they don't have "Golem" in their name.

They are either from Monster Manual 2 or Fiend Folio. They are featured in the first part of the Shackled City AP.

I can't remember the name but your description is a pefect fit.

I will check my books if I get home from work.
    Automatons, from Monster Manual 2.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Automatons, from Monster Manual 2.
    Yes, Automatons

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

THAT is what I was looking for, thank you.

3e Monster Manual II, pg 27-28 -- Automatons.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    THAT is what I was looking for, thank you.

3e Monster Manual II, pg 27-28 -- Automatons.

Huh. I'd never read their fluff before...I had no idea of their shadowy connections.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

On a related note, Pathfinder has Shadow Golems, too. Different yet still similar. CR 14.

http://archivesofnethys.com/MonsterD...Shadow%20Golem