New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: NT's Mummy's Mask: The Half Dead City

Vic extends her hand "Victoria. I'll get my friend over here and see if they're interested. Although it looks like she's in the middle of a conversation."

She heads over to where Ilepy is and tries to get her attention when there's a lull in the conversation. "Ilepisys? Sorry to interrupt, but there's a gentleman over here with a khopesh I thought you might be interested in."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

It didn't take long for Anai to be snoring, sound asleep and fully a dead weight laying on the floor in the middle of the door.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Boru smirked. "Well, looks like I'm not going anywhere anytime soon", he thought. He continued his soft rocking and hummed to himself to pass the time. He then resolved himself to wait for the rest of the party to retire so they can take her to the women's quarters rather than attempt to move her himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ilepy relaxed a little bit, still uneasy at her comment about taking care of things, but she slid the drink back over to the woman before taking a drink and deciding the forward way was the way to handle the , as she took note of her friend being drunk. situationSo lets cut to the chase then. What can the Sapphire Sphinxes do for you? Especially since I don't recall hearing the Sand Scorpions being called at the starting ceremony she said as she shifted towards the back of her chair and taking a swig of her drink. Ilepy knew that she needed to get some more information from this woman before she could feel a little bit easier by the woman's comments.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

"We were called, it was 3 groups after yours. You must have been busy with your own group and not heard." She takes a sip of the drink, and is about to respond when the "bisch" comes up behind her. Without turning around, the woman you were talking to lets out a sigh. "Neither I nor my associates know who has been assigned the sanctum, Velriana."

'Velriana' seems momentarily taken aback at the use of her name, but recovers herself quickly. "Well if you find out make sure you tell me or my friend Khelru over there in the corner. Only adherents of Nethys should explore a temple of Nethys, not some drunken oaf like the ones I've seen around here." She walks off to find some other adventurer to talk to.

The woman you're sitting next to shakes her head. "Wizards have no sense of subtlety when information gathering. Anyways, where were we? Oh yes, the Sand scorpions. Well, if you run into any ghouls in the necropolis kindly dispatch them, but we're a rathe self-sufficient crowd."

Victoria arrives.
    Last edited by NikolaTesla; 2018-05-30 at 11:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ilepy sighs to herself and raises her glass. At least you probably don't have to deal with high pitch sequels of joy, every single time you find an artifact she chuckles to herself. "But if we do find any, we will deal with them." she says before turning her attention to Victoria. Oh, sorry Victoria. What did you say about a khopesh? she asked quickly before turning back to the half-elf she had been having a conversation with. Good luck with your expeditions she said as she stood up, to pay attention to what Victoria had to say

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

"The halfling over there has been having a rough day, so I thought maybe he'd feel better after a sale. I remembered your khopesh was broken, and, well here we are." Vic says with a smile.

"It might be magical but I have no way to check myself."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ilepy smiles and gives Victoria a quick hug before running over to the halfling to see if she can buy his khopesh. While she does have the one from the tomb, she would like one that looked more like her old one. At some point she does want her personal one fixed. Thank you Victoria. I will see if he is willing to sell it she says as she runs over to the halfling, and sits down next to him Hi, my friend told me that you may want to talk to me about that khopesh

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Some time before speaking with the boring, self-involved man, Anai had sat down with the blonde, rugged woman. You look world traveled. I'm Anai. She proffered a hand and a warm smile.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #310

Spoiler: Anai
    Show
    The woman takes a deep swig from her mug but seems completely unfazed by the alcohol. This probably has something to do with her size; she's a full head taller than Anai and is not skinny."Indeed I am! I am Sigurn of the Linnorm Kingdoms, descendent of the Djinn Malakusaphat". Did you have much success in your efforts today, Anai?"

Spoiler: Ilepy
    Show
    "Ah-hah, so you are the one she said may be interested in acquiring it. Feel free to inspect it, I know a sword mage when I see one and you can probably learn more about it than I know."

Ilepy casts detect magic to attempt to identify it's properties.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Oh very! We were assigned a tomb of a prodigious general in Ancient Wati, just prior to the plague. A proper tomb. We recovered tons of historical artifacts! It's exciting! This is my first time doing field work. Though, I suppose, you don't know what I'm talking about. I work for the Ministry of Culture in Sothis. I was assigned as the Ministry's appointed representative in the proceedings here in Wati. Unfortunately that offers me no special treatment in the selection process. Anai stops, cheeks coloring red. My apologies. I tend to ramble. Yes, we were most successful. So, Sigurn of the Linnorm Kingdoms, descendent of the Djinn Malakusaphat. That's quite a mouthful. What brings you this far south? Are you dealing with the heat well?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ilepy picks the sword up and inspects it for a little bit, she was able to pick up some hints of magic, maybe a lightning enchantment, but isn't to sure. She looks at the halfling and smiles, Well, it definitely its in great condition. Out of curiosity, how much would it take for you to part with this sword?

13. - Top - End - #313

Show
    "Yes, the Grand Mausoleum made sure there was no preferential treatment. Though some people don't seem to realize that..."She casts a glance at Velriana.The heat isn't so bad with a simple endure elements spell; the sisters she indicates the two veiled women with crows on their shoulders take care that. We're a rather large group, but we were assigned what appeared to be a wealthy pawn-broker's shop and there was more than enough to go around.

Spoiler: Ilepy
    Show
    He's hoping to get 2,000 gold scarabs for it, though if you actually want to buy it some good social checks might lower that.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Anai can't help but smirk. I suppose a spell would help if you can't handle the heat. Was there anything of historical value in the pawn-broker's shop? I'm sure the Ministry would be more than willing to pay you and your group for such finds.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #315

Show
    "Historical significance?"She places a finger on her lip as she thinks for a minute."Maybe to somebody, but what we found was mostly shiny trinkets; necklaces, decorative daggers, what I assume were once beautiful dresses, and a fair number of rings.

Eventually everyone finds their way to bed, and you discover that at least as many people as were down in the tavern are already sleeping (or at least trying to). The ones upstairs seem to have been the ones who had a rougher time of it in the necropolis judging by the various used bandages lying around their sleeping mats. Those of you who are foreigners may be surprised to find that they all sleep rather warmly despite the daily heat of the desert; its at least as cold at night.

The next morning you awake to various aches and bruises, but also a sense of accomplishment for the day previous. A communal porridge is served for breakfast, but the only reason it doesn't taste like wet cardboard is the excessive amount of cinnamon in it. During breakfast, an Abadaran acolyte enters the common area with a caged seagull. On closer inspection, it has a letter attached to it's ankle.

"Anai Nahas? Is there an Anai Nahas here? You have a message from the ministry of culture in Sothis." With some difficulty in avoiding the seagull's beak he removes the letter to present it to Anai.

Spoiler: The Letter
    Show
    Anai
    The ministry has received word that an auction will be held for the treasures recovered from the necropolis. We have been informed that we should appear in 6 days, since apparently that's about how long Wati feels it will take to explore the necropolis but will not be so long that the explorers take their goods and leave. You are aware of what objects are of interest to the ministry and we assume you have some idea of what will be available at the auction. However, traveling with large coffers of gold scarabs is hardly a safe policy and you know very well that the ministry receives only adequate funding from the government of the Ruby Prince. Thus we though it prudent to ask you how much gold you believe we should bring with us when we travel to Wati for the auction. Inscribed on the reverse side of this letter is a spell to send this seagull back with your answer.

Hoping you are well and have not been turned into a ghoul,

Dashomir Halabibi, Acquisitions

Spoiler: Magic on reverse side
    Show
    It's a scroll of animal messenger

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Anai quickly wrote a reply to Dashomir.

Spoiler: Letter
    Show
    Dashomir
    Based solely on our own experiences, we have excavated items worth approximately 6,500 Gold Scarabs in one day. though roughly 4,700 of that are in magical gear. Extrapolating, our group will excavate approximately 10,800 Gold Scarabs worth of relics and 28,200 in magical gear. I'd not concern ourselves with the re appropriation of the magical gear; their historical significance are minor and there will be no shortage of buyers. In my professional opinion, I'd only travel with 10,000 Gold Scarabs at maximum. It is unlikely our group or others will be as successful each day.

And don't worry. I'm still amongst the living.
    -Anai Nahas, Acquisitions Field Operative

As she turned over the paper and read the scroll, her face turned into a grimace. Before we head to the necropolis, we will need to borrow a spellcaster. I can't return this without some help.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

After getting breakfast, Boru rejoined his companions "Morning, all. How'd you all sleep?" His inquiries were silenced when the acolyte brought Anai her letter, however. After Anai read over the note, Boru's brow furled "Why would they send you a note you'd need assistance to reply to? Don't they know who you're traveling with? Or do they assume one of us is secretly" he hazard a guess judging on the magical talent of the rest of the team "druid or whatnot?"

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Vic mixes milk into a mug of coffee as she says "Morning all. Wow, Anai, you look fine considering how much you had last night."

She pulls her hat down more to cover her eyes from the morning sun. "You had twice as much as me in half the time. Your liver must be made of steel."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Anai's cheeks color crimson. Ah... ya. I don't normally drink. Nor that much. But Dad always said alcohol barely affected him the morning after. Something about hybrid vigor. The best of Orc and Human. Though I suppose I'm more Human than Orc. Her fingers drum nervously on the table before mumbling. I won't be drinking that much again any time soon, I promise.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well don't be embarrassed, I only brought it up because I'm impressed. We earned a drink after that tomb."

"Do we know anything about our next site?"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Well it was once the manor of some noblilty of the day. That's about it for the moment. Most likely won't be set up like Ahkentepi's tomb; it be a normal, livable home repurposed to be a place of rest.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Boru looked down when Anai talked of drinking. Perhaps it was a blessing that she seemed to black out about last evening's activities. Especially if she was as scared as it seemed. He decided to skip past it and only rejoin the conversation when she brought up the day's endeavor.

"Here's hoping. Though if it was a home that was converted to a resting place, is there concern for us finding whatever killed them? Boarding up the homes is a common way to deal with plague victims as I understand it. We don't want to catch something nasty"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

If you are worried of a long dead Plague Boru, then you are already dead. The whole Necropolis was built to house the dead from the Plague, the majority of which are repurposed buildings. Ahknetepi's Tomb was an outlier, not the rule.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Boru nodded. Better he draw her out with facts that she had certainty with rather than the fear that came out last night. "I suppose so. Still, best we keep our eyes peeled in case there's more nastiness about."

25. - Top - End - #325

Just then the Ulfen woman, Sigurn, comes up behind you. "Did I hear that you needed a scroll cast for you Anai? I can't cast many spells myself but I have a way with magical items." Her height makes it easy for her to peer over top of you all to see the magical writing. "Animal messenger? Yeah I can manage that.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Anai face lit up with joy. Oh really Sigrun? Thank you! I can't thank you enough! Here, you want to send it to... Anai began a long winded but detailed description of the Sothis branch of the Ministry of Culture, so Sigrun could direct the pelican's return trip.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

27. - Top - End - #327

Sigrun listens for a bit, but after a moment raises a large hand. "I think I've got it." she says, then after taking a little bit of bread and proffering it to the caged pigeon, holds her hand a few inches above the sheet of paper. The magical script begins to glow, then swirl's off the page in five streams that come together at her hand, before appearing to bloom like a flower. A nearly transparent energy flows out from it and seeps into the seagull, ruffling it's feathers a little.

"That should do it, just attach your message and the little birdie will be off."

Later when everyone was ready, you set off again for the Necropolis. It's a much shorter walk this time; after the two blocks from the Tooth and Hookah to arrive at the southern gates the mansion is only another 4 blocks to the north-east. Sandstone walls ten feet high enclose this estate, affording those who once lived inside some privacy. A two-story stone house is visible beyond the walls, adjoining the rear wall of the property. In the center of the estate’s southern wall stands a pair of tarnished bronze gates hanging partially open. A pair of statues flanks the gate. Dusty hieroglyphs are carved into the wall at eye level to the left of the the bronze gates, which are decrepit and appear to have been broken open long ago. There is no means to secure them, and they would not stand much punishment.

Spoiler: Hieroglyph translation (Ancient Osirian or apporopriate linguistics check)
    Show
    House of Pentheru

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Boru hefted his new glaive, he could really feel the difference in weight compared to his old one. He took a look an Anai and nodded, taking point and opening the door.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

'House of Pentheru'. Anai stared at the placard for a few moments, before nodding in ascent to Boru. She cringed as the gate made a horrid noise as Boru forced it open. It is unlikely that the manor will be as booby-trapped as Ankentenpi's Tomb but we can't be sure. Keep an eye open, just in case. Anai led the others into the manor grounds.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

30. - Top - End - #330

As you enter through the gate you hear what seems to be some distant shouting... another group running from some ghouls, perhaps? Dust and sand cover the ground of this small courtyard. To the east and west stand pairs of columns, once brightly painted and now bleached from the sun, which support stone archways
    leading to other section of the property. Tarnished bronze gates hang open under both arches. To the north, a small flight of steps leads up to a pair of ornate doors in the south wall of the house between another set of columns.

As you look around, perhaps peering through the gates, the sounds of shouting grow louder until until they're nearly deafening; the sounds of an angry mob just outside the gates. From the top of the stairs comes a frantic sounding woman's voice, crying out in Ancient Osiriani.

Spoiler: Anceint Osiriani
    Show
    “Hold the gates! Don’t let them inside the
    compound!”

As she shouts, powerful blows rock the outer gates, as if people in the mob were being hurled (either by themselves or by the other people in the mob) at the gates as makeshift projectile weapons. Almost everyone manages to keep their heads, in particular, the more historically minded of you realize that this is likely a haunt of the last living night of the house of Pentheru during the height of the plague. Unfortunately, Ilepy is not quite so cool headed and takes off running from the gates, deeper into the compound.