New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Loathsome Gulch: A Supernatural Western

The sun beats down on the town of Crete, sun bleached bones and water-starved weeds pock mark the ground and shift in the wind. The wooden buildings of the town seem both optimistically unfinished and irreparably old as dozens of people of all sorts duck in and out on their daily business. Despite the aggressive heat and the undeniable bustle, there's a calm over the town, no bumps in the night or gang violence today as far as y'all can tell. What does that mean for you?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Loathsome Gulch: A Supernatural Western

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 0 (Origin), Juice 0

It's a fine day for a fight, and that's exactly what Jake is itchin' for as he makes his way to Big Heck's cabin.

Jake takes a great deal of pride in his speed and quickness, and rightfully so. But he's had some close calls against foes stronger than him, and he suspects there will be more of the same in his future, so he's eager to sharpen his skills against big strong opponents. And they don't come much bigger or stronger than his good friend Big Heck.

Jake reaches Big Heck's cabin, and looks on with equal parts pride and bemusement at the landscaping Big Heck tricked him into doing. When he reaches the door, he knocks loudly and impatiently. "Come on out Big Heck! It's a fine day for a little sparrin' with your friend Jake!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Big Heck Highwater, Biggest Man in the West
    Clue 0, Juice 0

"Who's that out there, causing raising such a commotion?" boomed a big voice from behind the cabin. "There's only one fellow of my acquaintance can cause such a fearful clatter!"

Big Heck Highwater strolled around the corner of the cabin in his shirtsleeves, enormous splitting axe on his shoulder. The ax, a lumberjack's two-handed chopper, looked like a toy in Big Heck's hand. "I was just a-splitting a couple cords of firewood," he said. "Not hard work for a fellow such as myself...but I bet it'd be powerful difficult for a little sprout like old Jake Wendell, even if he says he's the Fastest Man in the West," he added with a grin.

"Just funnin' you, Jake, just funnin'. What can I do for you this fine day? Sparring, you say?" he said, shaking the smaller man's hand.

I'm toying on whether or not to write Heck's posts in the storyteller mode, I fear it'd be a bit obnoxious

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Noch'ay-lichi
    Clues 0(Origin), Juice 0, Statuses, Other

Rising with the sun was quite routine for Noch'ay-lichi and his Spanish mustang, Cochise. Noch'ay-lichi has become accustomed to riding Cochise with a white man's saddle but still uses the war bridle of his people; a simple cord made from hide, looped around the lower jaw for control. On some mornings, like the present, the pair will ride the perimeter of Eagle Lake, passing through Gila Forest and then the lakeside edge of Crete before returning to their cabin. The Gila Forest was full of wildlife this time of year; elk, fox, cougar and black bear. The forest was full of juniper, oak, and cactus. All signs of abundance and harmony. Cochise would stop on occasion to drink from the lake. In these moments Noch would relax in the sunlight, often raising his chin to the sky.

Seeing a small mule deer grazing near the lake's edge, Noch'ay-lichi slowly pulled the handmade bow from his back, nocked an arrow, and loosed it toward the small deer. The animal shook and spun before a second arrow struck it in the neck. It fell dead. Noch and Cochise moved toward the animal with no semblance of urgency. Noch'ay-lichi dismounted, prayed to the Great Spirit and thanked the deer for its sacrifice. Then, he smiled. Dinner. He gutted the animal lakeside, keeping only the main organs, and then strapped it to the back quarter of Cochise and returned to the cabin. Every part of the deer would be used for something.

5. - Top - End - #5

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 0, Juice 0

"Sparring, yup. I ain't too proud to know I still got some things to learn when it comes to handlin' myself in a fight. And I don't know anyone nearly as good as you in a scrap. So if that firewood didn't wear you out, why don't you come on down..."

Jake hops down from Big Heck's porch and sketches out a 24-foot-ish ring in the dirt around him with a few deft motions.

"... and see if you can't tag me with that ax you got there?" Jake says with a boyish grin, settling into a relaxed fighting stance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ok, I'm not really sure how PvP fights work in City of Mist :) Let me know if I need to make a roll or take any other action(s).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

The day continues as the crew goes unmolested,

Noch, what is it like in Gila Forest? Is it a calm and tranquil place untouched by the white man or is it commercially forested and otherwise intruded upon? Is it a spiritual or magical place, or just somewhere you like to live?

Heck, the crew's recently been asked to do a job that you haven't told anyone else about yet. What's the job and who gave it to you? Do you wanna take it? Are you gonna keep it a secret or will you share with the rest of the class?

Jake, y'all haven't heard anything about your nemesis Abraham in a suspiciously long time. What do you think they're up to? How do you feel about all this waiting? Are you doing anything to work on finding them on your own time?
    Last edited by Daffodil; 2018-03-07 at 08:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
    Noch, what is it like in Gila Forest? Is it a calm and tranquil place untouched by the white man or is it commercially forested and otherwise intruded upon? Is it a spiritual or magical place, or just somewhere you like to live?
    The Gila Forest is sacred to the Apache, Navajo, and native tribes. The city of Crete takes lumber from the forest sparingly. The Apache often refer to the Gila as the Blue Wilderness due to the giant blue firs that dominate the northern portion of the forest. The conifer needles are a brilliant blue color year-round. This area, in particular, is a supernatural place of power for the Apache and for shaman, such as Noch. The forest is home to black bear, pronghorn, bald eagle, peregrine falcon, elk, white-tailed deer, osprey, mule deer, bobcat, spotted owl, cougar, gray fox, white-nosed coati, collared peccary, bighorn sheep, and wild turkey. The Gila is also home to the windigo, kitsune, waldgeist, dryad, and leshy. Though often unseen by humans, these creatures prosper in the Blue Wilderness imposing their will and agenda. Living just outside of the forest at the edge of Eagle Lake, Noch is content to be a visitor to this enormous woodland.

8. - Top - End - #8

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 0, Juice 0

Big Heck smiles at Jake's playful challenge, and strolls right on into the makeshift sparring ring.

At first, things go well for Jake. Big Heck is deceptively quick for man of his size and strength, and he wields the two-handed chopper effortlessly, the tool blurring into deadly arcs around him. But no matter how fast Big Heck swings, Jake is always a step ahead, untouched and unruffled.

Soon, however, Big Heck intuits a pattern to Jake's movements. Big Heck shifts the ax to one hand and takes another biting cut at Jake, forcing him to dodge out of the way. Then quick as a cobra, he snaps his other fist into the place where he knew Jake would be. The fist catches Jake square in his solar plexus. Big Heck pulled his punch, but the blow was still powerful enough to put Jake on his ass and leave him gasping like a fish on land.

After Jake catches his breath, Big Heck extends a hand and pulls him back onto his feet and asks, "How did I beat you?" "You're... too fast..." pants Jake. This draws a huge guffaw out of the big man, who then patiently explains that being strong or fast is all well and good, but knowing your opponent well enough to anticipate what they will do, that's the real trump card in a fight.

Big Heck invites Jake into the cabin for a simple but hearty lunch, and regales him with stories of some of his most memorable fights and the lessons he learned from them. Afterwards, Jake shows his gratitude by doing the dishes and sweeping the property clear of newly-fallen leaves. Then he heads home, with a skip in his step and the new lessons racing through his mind.

Show
    @Gull, I thought I'd go ahead and wrap up Big Heck and Jake's little encounter so we can get to the good stuff Daffodil's planned for us. Hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by CodeSlinger; 2018-03-09 at 09:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 0, Juice 0

Quote Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
    Jake, y'all haven't heard anything about your nemesis Abraham in a suspiciously long time. What do you think they're up to? How do you feel about all this waiting? Are you doing anything to work on finding them on your own time?
    Things have been quiet, too quiet when it comes to news of Abraham's gang. Jake can feel in his guts that they're up to something, and it makes him deeply unsettled that he hasn't the faintest idea what it might be. Frustrated and impatient, Jakes makes the rounds to check in for the umpteenth time with Them Who Can See, the posse's network of supernatural-aware allies, desperate to see if anyone has some nugget of information to offer.

10. - Top - End - #10

Clue 0, Juice 0

Show
    All good! Sorry, been a busy couple days.

Big Heck swore as he broke his third match, then gave up and lit his cigar from the lantern on the table. Puffing away contentedly, he strolled out to the porch as Jake Wendell wandered away down the road.

Why hadn't he told Jake about what Preacher Watson had told him? Well, that was indeed a question. First off, Preacher Watson wasn't hardly the sort of man you always took seriously. Preacher Watson was a nomadic man of the cloth, given to fits of fire-and-brimstone castigation, and he tended towards the look and behaviour of a John the Baptist, a wild-eyed ascetic frequently rolling out of the wilderness to inform folk of their failings in the eyes of the good Lord.

So it was natural that Big Heck might have some misgivings as to what the good preacher might have to say. But what he had told Heck about what was up in the Gath highlands was concerning, and he had already decided that he would bring it up to his two friends, the other two of the "Three Fates", as folk tended to call them. But he would tell Noch first. The weird Apache was a wise man, moreso than Heck himself and definitely moreso than young Jake. He would know what to do.

"'There were giants in the earth in those days,'" Big Heck quoted to himself as he smoked his cigar, echoing the scrap of scripture that Preacher Watson had babbled at him, over and over again. "Giants. Huh. I guess it's 'bout time I met someone bigger'n me."
    Last edited by Gull; 2018-03-10 at 09:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

The sun rolls leisurely through the sky as the day continues on.

Noch, the blue firs shift in the wind and whisper a portent of dire things to come. The quiet in the Gulch has been uncharacteristic and those in the know would say concerning. How have you spent this temporary peace? Wisely I hope.

Heck, you're instincts are good. Noch will surely have some insight, do you go to him immediately or is there something that needs doing first? Do you think the good Preacher came to you in good faith? Does he know about the world you walk in or is this the ravings of an overzealous busybody? You consultation with your shamanic ally will surely sort this out.

Jake, you've spoken with Them Who Can See countless times and they've grown tired of your pestering. There's only one left that will humor your unprompted visits to worry about Abraham. Who are they? Why do they still listen to your worries? Introduce us to them and I'll see what they have to say.

12. - Top - End - #12

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 0, Juice 0

After making the rounds with most of Them Who Can See, Jake has naught to show for it but some new blisters on his feet and a whole lot of disgruntled goodbyes. Not that he blames them; Jake is growing weary of the routine himself. Resigned, he makes his way to the last person on his list, Paloma.

Paloma is a fortune-teller who lives out in the woods. In many ways, Jake reminds her of one of her grandsons, so she's always been patient and kind towards him. Jake greatly appreciates her hospitality, but is sometimes hesitant about visiting her because he doesn't want any trouble to follow him into her door.

After reaching her house, Jake raises his hand to knock, but the door swings open before he can do so. "Come in! We can skip the niceties, it seems like you're in a hurry. Would you like a treat? I just popped out the cranberry scone from the oven. It taste so good!"

Jake gratefully accepts a scone, then sits down and waits to see what Paloma has to say.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Noch'ay-lichi
    Clues 0(Origin), Juice 0, Statuses, Other

Noch'ay-lichi returned to his cabin near Eagle Lake and strung the deer to remove its hide and prepare its meat for eating. While this work continued, Noch enjoyed the tasteful, raw liver of the animal. He cut small slices with his knife, letting the meat melt slowly in his mouth before chewing. Cochise too enjoyed the flavorful liver before returning to a shady spot to forage on the nearby brush. Noch cut the deer into quarters and hung the meat in the smokehouse, adjacent to his cabin.

Noch'ay-lichi knew that the present peace would not last. He must perform the Dance of Bear and Snake. This should be done without delay. As he had done many times before, Noch built a small fire in a clearing just behind and within sight of his home. Here, he would perform the ritual to the season of Spring and pray for prosperity. In full regalia and ceremonial dress, Noch'ay-lichi pulled Cochise closer to the fire and fed his assistant a tiny Narrowmouth Toad. Cochise promptly gnawed the toad into a mash. The toad represents the Underworld and in this ceremony, the spirits of the Underworld must be consumed, holding them at a great distance. Noch'ay-lichi sang the old songs in a staccato rhythm with his dance steps following on beat as he circles the fire for a full resolution and then returns in the repentant direction. Noch calls out to the season of Spring. He asks only for Spring's audience.

The Dance continues with Noch bending on all-fours and the laying flat at times. In this way, he represents the Bear and Snake. You see, the Bear and Snake are evil, in both the Spirit Realm and the waking world. Long ago, Bear and Snake used deception to kidnap two young girls. The girls were stubborn and disobedient to their parents but did not deserve to be taken. Spring created butterflies and Sun shown its light so that the butterflies and warm sunlight would lure the girls to safety. Bear and Snake were cunning and took the girls. The tribe searched for days will little return. They even employed Moon to search, but Moon could not see into every dark corner. Spring sent Wind to find the girls. They were now in a cave, made sick by Bear and Snake, as the two lurched over them. The White gods and the Black gods with Holy boy and Red boy made Bear and Snake dance a ritual to cure the sickness of the girls. The gods sang songs about sending Bear and Snake away forever but instead sent them beyond the seasons, giving them only half of the year to be free. Bear and Snake would be guarded by Fall and Winter as they slept and watched carefully by Spring and Summer in their freedom.

Noch'ay-lichi could not know for certain if Spring was attending his ceremony, but he prayed as if the season were there. Noch asked that the sicknesses of Bear and Snake be kept free of the Gulch and from the people of Crete. He prayed that Spring would grant the Gulch with good rains and prosperous crops. Noch asked that the Underworld be silent for the season. And finally, he prayed to the White gods and Black gods, to Holy boy and Red boy that the creatures of the Blue Wilderness would remain at peace for the whole of spring. To conclude his Dance, Noch would burn the dried tongue of a bear and the shed skin of a snake on the waning fire. And then, he would yell out in his native tongue, I am Noch'ay-lichi, son of Minzina'tay, Shaman of the Gulch. Hear my prayers. Hear my prayers! HEAR MY PRAYERS.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-03-12 at 12:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Clue 0, Juice 0

Big Heck sat on a boulder at the edge of Eagle Lake, smoking a cigar and watching the water. He maintained a respectful distance from the shaman's cabin- he had been planning to just knock on the door like an ordinary human being, but Noch had been kicking up a storm in there and Heck thought that it would be best not to interrupt the medicine man. So now he sat, and smoked, and watched the water.

He believed Preacher Watson, if it came down to that.

The itinerant reverend was madder'n a march hare, that was for sure. He was not one of Them Who Can See, but he saw nonetheless. Man who covered that much territory in the Gulch, who wandered into the wilderness for the amount of time that he did, saw things.

And apparently he saw giants.

Best to chat with Noch about it. The shaman would come out and see him when he was ready, Big Heck didn't have to announce himself. He smiled a moment. Nah, his evil-smelling cigar would do that for him.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Noch, the spirits are receptive. Spring sends their regards, let me see how you Change the Game. Mark you're Juice, the tags you used and whether you hit 10+ on your sheet; mark the quantity on your posts please. You've done the prepwork, you'll be going into this investigation with an edge. Across the way you can see that Heck is here to speak with you, you'll surely both have things to tell each other.

Jake, Paloma has insights for you. Investigate them, mark your clues appropriately on your posts and feel free to bank the questions for later if you'd like. It will be assumed that you are recalling the information you gathered now.

Paloma hops up onto her seat across the table from you and grabs her own scone, she munches cheerily and speaks quickly with a half-full mouth. A teapot heats on her tiny stove and birds chirp cheerily outside,

"Yes, yes, you are thinking of the Abraham again, yes. Well you will know that nothing has changed, I cannot see them still. But I see other things, yes. I see you're allies, I see a massive man. I see many things, but not the Abraham. They are close, perhaps you will find what I cannot see? You will sit with me and we will talk, you may ask me about what I see but we will have a nice chat until my tea is gone, yes? Then you go see your friends, much is to be done and very soon."

The hundreds of glass baubles that hang from the ceiling of her little cabin jingle in the gentle breeze as you pass the time chatting with Paloma.

16. - Top - End - #16

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 3, Juice 0

Show
    Not sure what would be meaningful to ask at this juncture, so I'll take the option to bank them for later. Gracias!

Though somewhat disappointed that Paloma didn't have any juicy tidbits about Abraham and his gang, Jake still greatly enjoyed their chat. She shared some very interesting gossip, which Jake committed deeply to memory, as Paloma's information had never steered him wrong (even if it sometimes took him a while to make the proper connections). And her baking was as delectable as ever (chef's kiss).

Afterwards, Jakes took his leave of Paloma and went to seek his friends as she suggested. Just before Jake crossed the threshold of the little cabin, he realized he had no idea where they were, and turned back to Paloma with a questioning look. With a knowing smile, she pointed a chubby little finger in the direction of Eagle Lake and Noch's cabin.

Jake gave Paloma a jaunty wave and set off in that direction, happily chewing on one last scone.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Noch'ay-lichi
    Clues 0(Origin), Juice 3(Bear Dance), Statuses, Other

Spring had heard Noch's prayer. He was pleased. There would be Peace in the Blue Wilderness. At least, for a season. Heading back toward the cabin, Cochise neighs and pulls his head back, stopping. It is then that Noch smells the vile tobacco smoke of Big Heck. Noch pats Chochise on the neck, urging his assistant to keep going. Talking to the Spanish Mustang, It's just Heck. A friend.

Noch'ay-lichi leaves Cochise at the cabin as he walks up to the big man. Ya'ateh, Noch greets Heck with a customary Hello.

18. - Top - End - #18

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 3, Juice 0

Jake covers most of the distance between Paloma's cabin and Eagle Lake in a flash, but slows down to a brisk walk as he approaches Noch's cabin. He's learned that it's considered impolite to kick up too much dirt and loose leaves when you visit someone's home. As he gets closer, he sees Noch and Big Heck and calls out to them (around the last mouthful of scone), "Heya! I didn't miss anything, did I?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Clue 0, Juice 0

"Howdy Noch," said Heck, and then added, "Jake," as the third of their group joined them. "Listen fellows, I think there might be something up there in them Gath Highlands that might require a spot of our attention. I spoke with Preacher Watson- that's right, that one- and he was spinning some tales 'bout...nephil- nefra-, damn it, giants. Said he saw them up there, and they was wearing bones. Bones of folk, not of beasts. I thought we might take outselves a look, but thought I'd best to speak to our more thoughtful one first."

20. - Top - End - #20

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 1, Juice 0

"Giants? Wearing bones of folks?!? Well I'll be ..." Jake thinks back on his chat with Paloma. She had mentioned seeing a massive man in her visions, and he had asked her...

Show
    I'll use 2 Clues to ask 2 questions.

1) where was this massive man?
    2) what was he doing?

Jake wracks his brain, trying to remember what Paloma shared in response.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

A giant sized campsite in the Gath Highlands sits in a circle of uprooted trees, crossed over each other in a deliberate but sloppy sort of barrier. The vision showed a single massive man with a blonde braid fighting against a dozen regular-sized men dressed in all black attempting to wrangle him with ropes and torches in the center of this camp. It is unclear when this occurred, but certainly it was recent, and the good Preacher was not in the vision as far as you know. This was separate from his meeting with the giants.

22. - Top - End - #22

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 1, Juice 0

After sharing Paloma's vision with Big Heck and Noch, Jake quiets down, waiting to hear what the others have to say. But it's obvious that he's ready for some action, and can hardly contain himself.

23. - Top - End - #23

]Big Heck Highwater, Biggest Man in the West
    Clue 0, Juice 0

"Well, I ain't known Paloma to be wrong before," said Heck, scratching his beard. "Those other fellows though, them all dressed in black, that is indeed a new wrinkle. Sounds like they're a-tryin' to capture whatever this giant is...but to what end?"

Heck felt his hackles rising, just a bit. Capture and imprisonment were sore spots with him, even though he didn't know if Preacher Watson's giant was a threat or just a lost soul.

"Regardless, I think we ought to ride out there, see what's what for ourselves. What do you two reckon?"

24. - Top - End - #24

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 1, Juice 0

"Right on, Big Heck! As my pappy always told me, there's no time like the present, the early bird gets the worm, if you ain't first you're last..." Jake realizes he's just blabbing now, and shuts up with a faint blush of embarrassment.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Noch'ay-lichi

Ya'ateh, to Jake. The Gath Highlands, Tai'ay Dilhil'a'nitsu, The Dark Circle; no place for man. We must move with caution. Evil lurks like snake in tall grasses. Giants, Ti'é'gosh'a, these are mortals cursed. It has been long since they tread the high lands. Noch takes a moment to ponder the words of Big Heck and Jake. The sun is near to sleep. Let us feast on fresh venison and consider these words more carefully. The high lands will still be there when the sun wakes tomorrow.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-03-22 at 05:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 1, Juice 0

Despite his eagerness to get under way, Jake sees the wisdom in Noch's words. Also, Noch's venison is always mind-blowingly delicious, and one never knows how long it might be until the next good meal. Not wishing to be a complete freeloader, Jake offers to help prepare the food, excited to see what Noch will cook up this evening.
    Last edited by CodeSlinger; 2018-03-22 at 09:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Noch'ay-lichi

Noch accepts Jake's help in preparing dinner. The venison loins (filet mignon) are tender and full of flavor. Noch eats his rare. As any gracious host, Jake may cook his loin to his preference. The venison is served with mushrooms, red potatoes, and fresh blackberries. Cochise is fed a bit of the rare venison along with some smoked rabbit and a handful of blackberries. A plate is set aside for Heck. Noch works in some small talk, Jake, what you think about the giants? Do you believe these creatures to be malicious?
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-03-26 at 02:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Jacob "Jake" Wendell
    Clues 1, Juice 0

Jake lets his portion of venison cook for just a while longer (he's more of a medium-rare man himself), then eats it slowly, savoring the flavor while he ponders Noch's question. "What do I think about the giants? Well, I guess I've heard mostly the same stories as everyone else. How they used to rule this part of the land, how they got pushed farther and farther into the mountains as Men moved in. To be honest with y'all, sometimes I think those stories are just that, stories, and there ain't such a thing as giants. But now? I'm not sure what to think. The stories say they mostly just want to be left alone, but then again, they got every right to hold a grudge against men after what we did to 'em."

29. - Top - End - #29

Clue 0, Juice 0

"Be as that may," said Big Heck, picking his teeth with a silver toothpick, well-satiated after an excellent meal, "if they're wearin' the bones of folks, we got to figure out where they came from. And I'll be honest with you fellows," he added, "I'm wonderin' if I can lick one 'em."

He grinned a big grin of big teeth.

"I'm betting I can."