New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb Teon - Kaltamorn Region

Introduction:
    So I've been working on this campaign setting for a while now and I figure that I may as well share it here just for the fun of it.

The basic idea of Teon is that it's a neverending "quilt" of different campaign settings akin to that of the material plane. That way the players never run out of places to go and I don't have to read a million books about other campaign settings. Basically the idea of Teon is that there can be two totally different kinds of campaign settings right next to each other and that some aspects of roleplay (like xp, hp, random loot, random encounters, etc) have in-lore explanations.

Now the Kaltamorn Region is the first region that I'm working on for this overarching setting. By and large it's a generic campaign setting except for a few things:
    • Just about all the races are unified into a parlimentary government.
    • Angels, Archons, Demons, and Devils cannot help but do good or evil respectively no matter what.
    • The gods cannot be undone or overpowered.
    • Outsiders don't care about souls very much or value them really.
    • Outsiders don't server deities by default.
    • Monsters can spawn in abandoned locations randomly.
    • Treasure can spawn in abandoned locations randomly.
    • There is a complex afterlife.
    • There are a bunch of different types of adventuring organizations.
    • There are beast races like dog-people, cat people, spider people, horse people, and more.
    • Demons and Devils are not at war with each other.
    • There are three good-aligned deities who banded together to form a pragmatic non-dogmatic faith that somehow isn't corrupt.
    • Other stuff I can't remember right now.

Basically, I tried to make a setting that I could see myself being okay with living in.

Also, this is still kind of a work-in-progress.

Note: This is an older map, I'm currently working on it to improve it some more.

Link to the Teon wiki page: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Teon_(3...paign_Setting)
    Link to the Kaltamorn Region page: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Kaltamo...on_Supplement)
    Last edited by Altrunchen; 2017-12-30 at 11:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Teon - Kaltamorn Region

Making a world that is pretty is always nice, but a campaign setting most importantly needs a world that has lots of potential for adventures. What kinds of adventures are appropriate for this setting and what would players have to expect when they make their characters? Any ongoing crises or supernatural threats that are disrupting normal peaceful life?

The map is good. Mountains are in chains and big forests are on the west side and deserts on the east side. If you want to make it super realistic you could straighten out the coastlines (look at Africa, South America, and India) except for the arctic regions, but as fantasy maps go this is really quite good.

What's the deal with angels and demons? They don't want souls and they are not at war. Then what are they doing in the world of mortals?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Making a world that is pretty is always nice, but a campaign setting most importantly needs a world that has lots of potential for adventures. What kinds of adventures are appropriate for this setting and what would players have to expect when they make their characters? Any ongoing crises or supernatural threats that are disrupting normal peaceful life?

The map is good. Mountains are in chains and big forests are on the west side and deserts on the east side. If you want to make it super realistic you could straighten out the coastlines (look at Africa, South America, and India) except for the arctic regions, but as fantasy maps go this is really quite good.

What's the deal with angels and demons? They don't want souls and they are not at war. Then what are they doing in the world of mortals?
    Thank you for the questions, well made too.

As far as ongoing supernatural threats to the Kaltamorn Region, there really aren't any built into the lore apart from the occasional lunatic moron who thinks contacting a deity with a track record of betrayal is a good idea. I mean the way I see it, how could the world function really if it's always on the verge of complete ruin?

But as far as potential adventures go, geez where do I begin?

Well here are some that come to mind:
    • Taking jobs at an adventuring organization (plot hook source).
    • Being students at the Arcane University.
    • Going on an expedition to fully map-out the underdark.
    • Killing monsters randomly spawned via Dark Ether.
    • Going on a sailing ship race around the region (did this one IRL).
    • Visiting Port Grimwater, a city full of friendly undead.
    • Visiting Adajia, a city-state full of friendly vampires.
    • The most epic bar-crawl EVER!
    • Trying to find what a key made out of blue cedar goes to.
    • Exploring the winding and dangerous passages beneath Mt. Malor which was a stronghold for the Dark Conclave during the War of Mortality.
    • Picking a random spot on the map and deciding to go there just for the sake of exploration.

I could go on honestly, but there are just some ideas for you.

As far as angels and demons go, they actually don't do much of anything in the world of mortals. In fact most times they just laze around and contemplate the stagnation of their existence since no matter what their actions will only cause for good or evil to happen respectively.

A Teon angel could punch a baby in the face randomly and it would turn out that it was an imp in disguise, had a tumor that was cured via punching, was a changling, or maybe a criminal falls between the angel's fist and the baby and the criminal ends up getting punched. Think Final Destination except they always do the right thing, no matter what. Teon angels can't fall from grace, no matter how hard one might try. The inverse goes for demons and devils, they can only ever do the wrong thing, despite their intentions. They're more like alignment elementals in this setting, even if they are devastatingly more powerful than the core varieties of outsiders. They can't stop existing, no matter how hard they might try, and they have nothing to work for by default. So most times they just do nothing. Because they are sentient life that is less capable of change than mortal life.

Thanks for the critique on the map by the way! I'm going to give it a proper coordinate system, a better grid, and put the sub-aquatic cities on there too.
    Last edited by Altrunchen; 2017-12-31 at 03:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Treasure spawns in random locations? How does that work?
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMwithoutPC's View Post
    Treasure spawns in random locations? How does that work?
    Generally the more isolated the location is from living creatures the more likely it is to spawn. Which is why they can be found usually in ruins, caves, etc.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Due monsters and treasures come from the same location?
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

smile Re: Teon - Kaltamorn Region

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Due monsters and treasures come from the same location?
    Well actually they don't come from a specific location. As a matter of fact it's because of dark ether that monsters appear in abandoned or desolate places. For more information have a look at this page: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Kaltamo...on_Supplement)