New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mordenkainen's Tome: what monsters are in it?

The only thing that I dislike about the Marut now is how goofy it looks. The ebony-skinned gigantic figure in golden armor was badass, this thing looks like a modron on steroids.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    The only thing that I dislike about the Marut now is how goofy it looks. The ebony-skinned gigantic figure in golden armor was badass, this thing looks like a modron on steroids.
    They are related to Modrons now.

The Lore is interesting. Pretty much Primus created the Inevitables to enforce order in the planes and on dealings between people. In Sigil the Kolyarut a construct that produces contracts of gold for any two parties who want to make an agreement between themselves and are willing to pay the Kolyarut. It creates the Contract and attaches it to a Marut which will awaken and enforce the contract if it is broken, or has not been fulfilled after a specified amount of time has passed.

It's mentioned that Yugoloth mercenaries and their employers are frequent customers of the Kolyarut. As signing this contract makes it much less likely for the Yugoloth's to betray their employer.
    Last edited by Envyus; 2018-05-13 at 08:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Something the video puts an enthusiastic spotlight on, at 13:13, is the deathlock.

The deathlock is a warlock who remains bound to their patron in death. There is the regular deathlock, the weaker deathlock wight, and the stronger deathlock mastermind.

I agree it is a neat concept. It can help portray how pact magic does sometimes mean selling your soul. And I could imagine a campaign designed around defeating an ancient adventuring party that now plagues the land as a deathlock mastermind (CR 8), a death knight (CR 17), and a lich (CR 21).

Now I wish there was something that is to the deathlock what the narzugon is to the death knight, a warlock who has become a fiend. Maybe a yugoloth, ready for more deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    The ebony-skinned gigantic figure in golden armor was badass, this thing looks like a modron on steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    They are related to Modrons now.
    Yes, with the eye and wings, the new marut's aesthetic is clearly that of a dire monodrone. And that's awesome.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Now I wish there was something that is to the deathlock what the narzugon is to the death knight, a warlock who has become a fiend. Maybe a yugoloth, ready for more deals.
    Arcanaloth fits the bill reasonably well.

As a side note, deathlock is going to confuse me, because my table refers to Undying Warlocks as deathlocks.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone else going to use five deathlocks as recurring antagonists? I'm thinking of naming them Murderface, Skwisgaar, Toki, Nathan, and Pickles.

On Maruts:

Mechanus isn't really a thing in my home game, and angels take the place of 2e Maruts as lawful neutral servants of deities, so I'm probably just going to use 3.5 or 4e versions. Learning towards 4e.
    Last edited by EvilAnagram; 2018-05-14 at 09:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    The guy who got the book provided me with a picture of the Oinoloth.

That looks like Anthraxus.
    I have no idea what was going on that made it seem like a good idea to make the godlike Oinoloth, a unique yugoloth / title of the Lord of Khin-Oin, into a CR 12 generic yugoloth.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Bell of Lost Souls previewed the Ogres' stats

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/...e-of-foes.html

They're pretty great and awesome, but I don't understand why the artists never draw the armor on the Ogres.

Even in the MM, the Ogre wears Hide Armor. Here you have one in ring mail that's represented bare-chested.

Oh well, it can be one of them during combat training.

Also, as a DM I would definitively give a shield to the Ogre Howda. No reason for them to have a mace instead of a greatclub, otherwise.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Bell of Lost Souls previewed the Ogres' stats

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/...e-of-foes.html

They're pretty great and awesome, but I don't understand why the artists never draw the armor on the Ogres.

Even in the MM, the Ogre wears Hide Armor. Here you have one in ring mail that's represented bare-chested.

Oh well, it can be one of them during combat training.

Also, as a DM I would definitively give a shield to the Ogre Howda. No reason for them to have a mace instead of a greatclub, otherwise.
    I want to have a party visit Pandemonium and run into a platoon of Xvarts riding Ogre Howda with the Ogre chain guys and a Xvart warlock with a trained Howler. If Howlers work like they used to (with their howls causing exhaustion), then what seems like an easy encounter could quickly go south if the xvarts gang-tackle prone and exhausted foes.
    Part-time DM, part-time player in 5e. I aim to be reasonable.
    Homebrews on the stove (5e):

Wizard School: Black Magic
    Druid Circle of the Many
    Druid Circle of the Silver Moon
    Bard College of the Chord

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

This guy has shown all the Mordenkainen's Tome of Foe monsters

As it turns out, the Wretched and the Abyssal Wretch are two separate creatures.

...that makes that Mordenkainen's Mayhem even weirder.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechgnome View Post
    I want to have a party visit Pandemonium and run into a platoon of Xvarts riding Ogre Howda with the Ogre chain guys and a Xvart warlock with a trained Howler. If Howlers work like they used to (with their howls causing exhaustion), then what seems like an easy encounter could quickly go south if the xvarts gang-tackle prone and exhausted foes.
    I support the use of Xvarts and Xvart accessories.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-05-16 at 11:54 AM.