New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Question On Clerics and Warlocks... I need some role playing advice

Hey there,

For my upcoming games I will play a tempest (Manannán mac Lir) cleric. The setting is quite restrictive.

Just for the purpose of discussion:
    There was a war between the great old ones and the "normal" gods, leaving the gods victorious but significantly weakened.
    Clerics can cast spells till 4th level only, but maybe this rule can be circumvented later in the game.
    Because of this war, Warlocks of GOO are not well seen and probably will face a horrible death after discovery.

So now for my questions:

1.) How can I role play my character better to strengthen my god, even though the gods are quiet at the moment?

2.) What would be an appropriate offering for a tempest domain god?

Thought about building some windpipes near the coast... so to say as an instrument for the storm... but not very creative here^^

3.) How to deal with warlocks?
    One in my group is a warlock and I guess of the fiend. Socially it is not really accepted.

4.) How can i constructively deal with that character?

5.) How do clerics see a warlock?

6.) What gives them away? Or could they just come across as sorcerers?

This is my first time playing something spiritual, so i really would appreciate constructive feedback.
    (Sorry for errors! I am not a native speaker )

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: On Clerics and Warlocks... I need some role playing advice

Quote Originally Posted by bansaai View Post
    1.) How can I role play my character better to strengthen my god, even though the gods are quiet at the moment?
    Sacrifices, pray for guidance(DM may give you a hint on a quest), convert people to your god.

Thought about building some windpipes near the coast... so to say as an instrument for the storm... but not very creative here^^
    That idea sounds cool to me.

Maybe build a temple overlooking a coast with your windpipes? Will give a place for people to worship your god!

Depends on how good you are. Bring the storm down if the warlock will not give up his ways.

No need to "deal" with him if he convinces you he's using his powers for good (or at least not bad).

Probably mostly in a bad light, but that's only because most Warlocks are servants to Demons/Devils/Old Gods.

He might need to convince you he's not bad.

See them speaking into a dark corner. Growing devils horns.....sacrificing children?

There may be no tells if they are smart. Will have to catch them in a lie or find clues.
    Last edited by HermanTheWize; 2018-03-15 at 07:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Continue to proselytize and follow the expected actions of the deity. Depending on the normal attitude of the Storm God, that could be benevolent or malicious to the public at large.

That really depends on the type of god in your setting. Storm gods in earthling mythos can vary from gods of chaos & war to gods of fertility & harvest, can be over things from seas to deserts, can range from a minor deity to the ruler of the pantheon.

If the warlock in question was a GOO lock, that would likely be friction. However, if they are a fiend, then you'd likely treat them in the same way as you would a cleric of a different deity that your deity wasn't actively at war with.

It really depends on the way the player plays the Warlock PC. A Bladelock may look like a random fighter, a tomelock may look like a Wizard, a Chainlock could be confused for a sorcerer while their familiar is invisible, or like a witch if they chose a more normal familiar.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

What gives the gods power?

If its followers, then proselytize. No need to be weird about it, you are personally connected to this deity and you think he's great! Why wouldn't you spread his name? Seek out those who might be sympathetic to him, and make friends. Help people and remind them that "The Storm Lord watches over you."

Or humorously: "Pray to the Storm Lord, lest he smite you."

Sounds like you already have a good idea of what to do.

A storm deity might be less into temples and buildings and more into celebrations and parties, to appeal to their naturally chaotic bent. Throw a huge, wild party in a tavern as a great storm roars. Sacrifice your comfort to bask in the winds and rain that your god sends to you. HAM IT UP.
    One in my group is a warlock and I guess of the fiend. Socially it is not really accepted.

Work out ahead of time with the guy what your relationship is going to be like. You don't want to be the group that's always eating up session time by bickering. Maybe his reasons for making a pact, while lamentable, are totally understandable. Maybe he fears losing himself to the nine hells and you can be his *anchor* who promises to take him down if the devils ever fully get to him. Maybe you can plot with him how to take down his patron in the long run. Maybe you never feel comfortable around him, but you rely on his power to proceed with the quests your god has set you upon. Any one of these options are fine, but you need to work it out ahead of time.

Nothing really gives a warlock away. They'd seem to you to be a specialized wizard or swordsman, unless you really knew what to look for.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nothing really gives a warlock away. They'd seem to you to be a specialized wizard or swordsman, unless you really knew what to look for.
    - Arcane Focus really is a shillelagh

- Keeps proposing long smoke breaks. Doesn't smoke.

- Insists that he's killing creatures with Dancing Lights.

- Snickers at hearing the phrase "my significant other"

- Greets fiends with "'Sup"

- Gets blank look when asked to read magic

- T-shirt says WARLOCKS DO IT BY PACT

Seriously I agree that you could work something out as he's not the dreaded enemy GOOlock.
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

As other have said, conversion. It also gives your character an interesting way to gather more info and make connections. You could look at modern recruitment practices for today's Real World Religions and parallel those. Modern Military is a good reference too. Readily available literature, disaster relief, free medical care, sponsored events are all tools frequently used by these orgs and can be adapted for DnD.

As others have pointed out, there's not a whole lot of detail about your god. I would assume it's good or neutral. Your idea sounds pretty cool actually (to the god, anyone who lives near the chimes are going to want to murder you lol).

3.) How to deal with warlocks? One in my group is a warlock and I guess of the fiend. Socially it is not really accepted.
    My druid is currently dealing with this with a feylock. My DM is all bout Grims Fairy tales fey rather than the 'friendlier' fey that DnD presents. So even the summer court isn't too much better than a fiend.

I'm currently treating the feylock as a necessary evil. "Better the devil you know rather than the one you don't", sort of deal. I've decided that long term I'm going to try and convert her over to a druid, but that's just because we happen to both be, 'Nature Rah Rah Rah'.

I think if I were dealing with a fiendlock I'd basically make it my responsibility to keep an eye on them until they succumb to their obviously horrifying nature. When that time came, I would put them out of their misery. Killing someone before they prove themselves to be evil would be wrong.

Buuut...I'm currently playing NG. Other alignments would probably have other driving factors. How do you intend to play your characters?

That comes down to your character and the other player's characters. Mutual goals are a good way to find common ground, but that can be hard to maintain in an adventuring scenario. Grudging respect often works too, that sort of thing. You don't have to like someone to work with them.

There's so many variables to this, it's nearly impossible to answer. I tend to think that clerics and warlocks are so similar that they hate each other over the nuance. Both basically get their power from another being, but while clerics rely on faith and devotion to please their power source, warlocks *think* they're in a partnership. I imagine clerics see warlocks as delusional pawns, and that warlocks see clerics exactly the same way.

Eldritch Blast is a big one, shouldn't be too difficult to get a knowledge arcana on that, especially in your world. There's a couple other spells that are exclusive to warlocks that would probably give it away. Renewing spell casting so quickly but having little variation what spells they cast.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thanks already for the input.

Problem with my characters is, that in game they behave different then I originally intended.

But the recruiting methods sound good. I'll take a lot at that.

So far the warlock hasn't done anything to rise to my suspicion... Yet.
    But I think establishing a common history with him is a good start.
    So far we worked out, that 2 years ago I safed him from living on the streets. So there is a good starting point.

Thanks again. I Think I can work my cleric better now. (but don't feel discouraged to write further)