New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hexblade 1 dip and the Lance

So hexblade 1 is a great dip, but you can't use two-handed weapons with hex warrior without pact of the blade. Your best available damage is a 2-handed longsword for 1d10.

Except you can totally use a Lance with Hex Warrior for reach and 1d12. It doesn't have the 2-handed property. Sure, I mean, unless you're mounted, you do need to use 2 hands, but it doesn't have that specific descriptor.

Now, a lance has a few drawbacks, notably, that you have disadvantage if attacking within five feet. So you'll be eating AoOs as you back up from melee foes, right?

Unless, of course, you have armor of agathys, in which case an AoO might be welcome as a chance to deal bonus damage.

Just musing on what I thought was a pretty goofy (but fun!) build.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Hexblade 1 dip and the Lance

I like this trick best on a kobold. Pack tactics with a mount means never taking disadvantage on the adjacent attacks, and not worrying about light conditions. With reach its even better, as you don't have to be adjacent to the target of your attack for pack tactics to grant advantage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quoz View Post
    I like this trick best on a kobold. Pack tactics with a mount means never taking disadvantage on the adjacent attacks, and not worrying about light conditions. With reach its even better, as you don't have to be adjacent to the target of your attack for pack tactics to grant advantage.
    But... eww, Kobolds.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Do I smell the start of a paladin build?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

1)If starting over lvl 11, you can go with Bard College of the Sword and 1 Hexblade Warlock, use the Magical Secret to get Find Greater Steed.

2)Paladin also does the trick, just need like lvl 5 for Find Steed, and 1 Warlock Hexblade; could use the Paladin of Redemption or of the crown, to be able to use your lvl 7 Paladin ability to make sure your mount survive certain abilities.

3)Or you could just go with any class that gives you extra attack and good melee capabilities (Fighter, Barbarian), and go with easy to get mounts (like the Mastiff) -Would require small races.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goycherizer View Post
    Do I smell the start of a paladin build?
    Yup, but starting from Level 1 I was a little nervous about committing to the Lance. I love the idea of my 5'3" warlock hauling out this gigantic lance for basic combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    1)If starting over lvl 11, you can go with Bard College of the Sword and 1 Hexblade Warlock, use the Magical Secret to get Find Greater Steed.

2)Paladin also does the trick, just need like lvl 5 for Find Steed, and 1 Warlock Hexblade; could use the Paladin of Redemption or of the crown, to be able to use your lvl 7 Paladin ability to make sure your mount survive certain abilities.

3)Or you could just go with any class that gives you extra attack and good melee capabilities (Fighter, Barbarian), and go with easy to get mounts (like the Mastiff) -Would require small races.
    Yeah, not starting at eleven, although that is interesting. Something to remind the party bard about. I'll see if I can start with a horse, move up to warhorse, and then find steed when the time comes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    Yeah, not starting at eleven, although that is interesting. Something to remind the party bard about. I'll see if I can start with a horse, move up to warhorse, and then find steed when the time comes.
    Have in mind, that the detail of a medium creature as a rider, is that you require large creatures (like horses) and you may not be able to use them in many spaces, something that any small race can deal with (hence the option of Mastiff, also because Mastiff price is low enough that you can buy one with the starting gold you are given)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Have in mind, that the detail of a medium creature as a rider, is that you require large creatures (like horses) and you may not be able to use them in many spaces, something that any small race can deal with (hence the option of Mastiff, also because Mastiff price is low enough that you can buy one with the starting gold you are given)
    I have never and will never play a small race. Can't do it.

...Maybe a goblin, someday.