New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Divine Soul/Hexblade build assistance

Hey everyone,

I've got another game coming up soon and was hoping for some help with a build. The idea is a 5 hexblade/15 divine soul sorcerer holy psuedo paladin using a greatsword. This is for a max level campaign starting at level 3.

Rolled stats are 16/15/14/14/13/8 and going half elf so will end up with 8 STR/14 DEX/16 CON (15+1)/14 INT/14 WIS (13+1)/18 CHA (16+2). I'm starting at level 3, so Sorc1/Warlock 2 from the getgo.

Level Progression would be:
    Level 5 (1 Sorc/4 Warlock): Cha +2 (20 Charisma)
    Level 10(5 Sorc/5 Warlock): GWM
    Level 14 (10 Sorc/5 Warlock): Warcaster
    Level 18 (13 Sorc/5 Warlock): Tough/Mobile

Was wondering if anyone minded giving some advice on spells, see if I could get some more group support or see something I'm not. All spells that I've chosen were because they made sense in the theme of a holy arcane warrior who while charismatic, doesn't think he can charm due to backstory. For reference I'll be using this backstory.

I also used the process of "How would it look like he did this" from a visual perspective. I see sorcerers casting with gestures such as for Holy Weapon instead of a prayer or arcane symbols he runs his hands down the blade to light the sword up or for hold person reaches out and clenches his fist.

Invocations: Eldritch Smite, Thirsting Blade, Agonizing Blast

Spell list currently:

Spoiler: Warlock Spells (6 possible)
    Show
    Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Green Flame Blade, Booming Blade
    Level 1: Shield
    Level 2: Hold Person, Mirror Images, Misty Step
    Level 3: Hypnotic Pattern, Fly

Spoiler: Sorcerer Spells (14 possible)
    Show
    Cantrips: Mage Hand, Message, Mending, Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, Word of Radiance
    Level 1: Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Healing Word
    Level 2:
    Level 3: Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Haste, Spirit Guardians
    Level 4: Death Ward
    Level 5: Holy Weapon, Telekinesis
    Level 6: Sunbeam
    Level 7: Divine Word, Fire Storm, Teleport
    Level 8: Holy Aura

4 spells that I currently have I may not keep depending on the group party. If someone ends up rolling cleric I may drop cure wounds/healing word and if we get a wizard I'll drop Dispel Magic/Counterspell.
    Last edited by Raif; 2018-03-18 at 04:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Divine Soul/Hexblade build assistance

Hi!

Well, I see something obvious that you seem to have missed: the ability to use CHA instead of DEX/STR affects only weapons without the two-handed property.

And unless there is some weapon I forgot, GWM feat only works with heavy weapons that have the two-handed property. So you're a bit into a conundrum here. :)

Also, is there a particular reason why you would put the 8 into STR instead of INT?
    I'm glad someone pushes INT a bit, and it's indeed good for related skills...

But with a 8 in STR, without at the very least proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics (and really Expertise would be required to be sure), an enemy will reduce you to a limited or non-existent threat extremely easily, between Shove (now you have only 15 feet to reach an enemy), Grapple (so now you're basically stuck to wherever your enemy will carry you, you'll have to kill it to escape) or spells such as Entangle (you'll be worthless during the whole fight, since it's a plain ability check against spell DC).
    Of course, I'm speaking here about your melee capability. Since you are a Warlock, if you end restrained or prone, you can just switch to Eldricht Blast for that round instead, you're not as useless as a Champion or Barbarian. ^^
    You could also ask your DM how he would rule the case in which you use Repelling Blast on a creature that is currently grappling you. If he considers that the push effect automatically breaks the grapple (note: I have no certain idea about what the RAW/RAI would be here), then even if you shoot it at disadvantage because you have an enemy 5 feet within (the grappler), it will end as a reliable enough escape way.

If you do keep the INT though, you could also, beyond relying on aforementioned solutions, learn Freedom of Movement to take care of the STR problems (most of them at least) for the toughest fights, and just try your best otherwise.
    And thus keep the door opened for a 3-level dip into Diviner or Evoker Wizard.
    If such a dip goes against your concept, then I'd suggest swapping INT and STR: there are a few INT-targeting spells that can also cripple you bad, but an enemy force with Phantasmal Force is much, much less common than enemies with good Shove/Prone bonus. And you seem to be keen on building a melee Warlock so might as well ensure you can play it as expected most of the time. :)

Besides that and the whole STR/GWM/Hexblade problem (unless I'm mistaken and that works, you'll have to choose whether you still want to go GWM way or not: if yes, you'll have to rethink the whole thing)...
    Seems well thought. ;)
    Last edited by Citan; 2018-03-18 at 06:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Hi!

Well, I see something obvious that you seem to have missed: the ability to use CHA instead of DEX/STR affects only weapons without the two-handed property.

And unless there is some weapon I forgot, GWM feat only works with heavy weapons that have the two-handed property. So you're a bit into a conundrum here. :)

Also, is there a particular reason why you would put the 8 into STR instead of INT?
    I'm glad someone pushes INT a bit, and it's indeed good for related skills...

But with a 8 in STR, without at the very least proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics (and really Expertise would be required to be sure), an enemy will reduce you to a limited or non-existent threat extremely easily, between Shove (now you have only 15 feet to reach an enemy), Grapple (so now you're basically stuck to wherever your enemy will carry you, you'll have to kill it to escape) or spells such as Entangle (you'll be worthless during the whole fight, since it's a plain ability check against spell DC).
    Of course, I'm speaking here about your melee capability. Since you are a Warlock, if you end restrained or prone, you can just switch to Eldricht Blast for that round instead, you're not as useless as a Champion or Barbarian. ^^
    You could also ask your DM how he would rule the case in which you use Repelling Blast on a creature that is currently grappling you. If he considers that the push effect automatically breaks the grapple (note: I have no certain idea about what the RAW/RAI would be here), then even if you shoot it at disadvantage because you have an enemy 5 feet within (the grappler), it will end as a reliable enough escape way.

If you do keep the INT though, you could also, beyond relying on aforementioned solutions, learn Freedom of Movement to take care of the STR problems (most of them at least) for the toughest fights, and just try your best otherwise.
    And thus keep the door opened for a 3-level dip into Diviner or Evoker Wizard.
    If such a dip goes against your concept, then I'd suggest swapping INT and STR: there are a few INT-targeting spells that can also cripple you bad, but an enemy force with Phantasmal Force is much, much less common than enemies with good Shove/Prone bonus. And you seem to be keen on building a melee Warlock so might as well ensure you can play it as expected most of the time. :)

Besides that and the whole STR/GWM/Hexblade problem (unless I'm mistaken and that works, you'll have to choose whether you still want to go GWM way or not: if yes, you'll have to rethink the whole thing)...
    Seems well thought. ;)
    Lots of good thinking stuff here, thanks!

Yea, its meant to be someone who couldnt become a paladin and so emulates them through arcane magic. He becomes a "paladin" of his sibling (from the backstory) by becoming a warlock whose patron is his twin (who is a divine soul sorcerer). At some point his own latent sorcerer powers emerge, hence the MC to divine soul, so an MC to wizard is out of the question.

The lack of strength was supposed to be due to being born 2nd of the twins and too weak to do anything, hence failing to become a paladin. I do have proficiency in acrobatics i believe though. I think freedom of movement might be a good idea in this case. The high int was mainly due to because no one cares or notices him, he had to use his wit and charm to get what he needs/wants.

About the 2 handers, gwm, and hexblade - pact of the blade takes care of that.

Hex Warrior
    At 1st level, you acquire the training necessary to effectively arm yourself for battle. You gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons. The influence of your patron also allows you to mystically channel your will through a particular weapon. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon’s type.
    Last edited by Raif; 2018-03-18 at 06:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raif View Post
    At some point his own latent sorcerer powers emerge, hence the MC to divine soul, so an MC to wizard is out of the question.

The lack of strength was supposed to be due to being born 2nd of the twins and too weak to do anything, hence failing to become a paladin. I do have proficiency in acrobatics i believe though. I think freedom of movement might be a good idea in this case. The high int was mainly due to because no one cares or notices him, he had to use his wit and charm to get what he needs/wants.

About the 2 handers, gwm, and hexblade - pact of the blade takes care of that.
    Aaaw, totally forgot about that (yet again XD).
    Well then, seems your build does not need any change and is good to go. ;) Enjoy!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Aaaw, totally forgot about that (yet again XD).
    Well then, seems your build does not need any change and is good to go. ;) Enjoy!
    NP and thanks!

I was wondering about spells. I will drop Fly for Freedom of Movement in the end based on your suggestions, though I would like to somehow get that in. Maybe drop one of the higher spells to get it...

As far as group utility, think it's got enough? It's slightly different than the usual sorcerer utility that I pick up, but i feel like cure wounds, healing word, death ward, hold person, holy aura, freedom of movement, hypnotic pattern, is quite a bit of utility. Great for backing up a cleric and helping the party.

I will be smiting a lot since we house ruled the "pact magic spell slots only for eldritch smite" is not in effect specifically due to backstory stuff, though it will not knock prone unless I use a pact magic spell slot. Keeping that in mind, I tried to get some good stuff that would be great for bonus actions. I avoided damage spells since I have my attack action, Eldritch Blast and 2 weapon cantrips for damage.

Metamagic choices are Quicken, Twin and subtle (not sure about this one, but most likely will due to story)
    Last edited by Raif; 2018-03-18 at 08:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, if you really feel you want/need a bit more utility, I'd say Enhance Ability alone has the potential of making you use all slots on non-fighting days. Skill checks usually happen a few times at least every adventuring day after all. ;)

Also, it may actually be enough to cope with the restrain/risk, by giving advantage on STR checks you'll need to break of many spells or competing with shove attempts. Of course, it uses your concentration so it may imply ending a Fly/Spirit Guardians/etc early, so it's a toss...
    If you take it, then I'd say wait to see if you really need to grab Freedom of Movement or if overall your DM is giving you some slack by making those risks rarely appear, or Enhance Ability is indeed enough usually. :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, if you really feel you want/need a bit more utility, I'd say Enhance Ability alone has the potential of making you use all slots on non-fighting days. Skill checks usually happen a few times at least every adventuring day after all. ;)

Also, it may actually be enough to cope with the restrain/risk, by giving advantage on STR checks you'll need to break of many spells or competing with shove attempts. Of course, it uses your concentration so it may imply ending a Fly/Spirit Guardians/etc early, so it's a toss...
    If you take it, then I'd say wait to see if you really need to grab Freedom of Movement or if overall your DM is giving you some slack by making those risks rarely appear, or Enhance Ability is indeed enough usually. :)
    He might also think about Guidance instead of Prestidigitation, for that out of combat 'don't want to kill my slots' assist on ability checks. But yeah, enhance ability over freedom of movement.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Enhance ability is pretty good, but it's another concentration spell that I wouldn't be able to use in conjunction with something like Haste or Holy Weapon. I'll definitely give it some thought!

As for guidance - I will have to check with the cleric so that they don't feel I'm taking their place. Don't want to step on toes!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Had a recent ruling from my DM that's making me take a look at stat allocations.

The ruling is that Mithral armor instead of only giving no disadvantage to stealth also gives a another point of dex to the armor. So that would mean that half plate at default would give 15 + 3 Dex mod armor (+4 with Medium Armor Master).

Think this would be worth changing around Con and Dex to get a 16 in dex and a 14 in con? Ending HP would be a lower and con save would be a 1 lower, but the higher AC is nice