New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (IC)

If a pigeon could smile, Haralambos would be smiling. The demonic wave of chaos and heat was, of course, unpleasant, but the Forces Michael had given him easily prevailed against that assault upon his body.

In the corner of his eye, he sees Khalil's fists sear the demoness. Excellent. It looks like Khalil had things under control, so Harry could focus on the Calabim.

He dives yet again for the fiend, this time aiming to tear the hand off -- or at least rip some tendons. It was... disappointing how little damage his pecks had been doing thus far, but perhaps that'd keep the Calabim from realizing it was facing a Seraph of Michael instead of some familiar or one of Jordi's warriors.

Spoiler: Round 4
    Show

No harm in the wait. Wow; Khalil's fists are powerful; awesome. I'd be surprised if his max damage roll (post before mine) doesn't stun her. Cool.
    I'm skipping the acrobatics roll, since the Calabim seems focused on firearms or using Attunements--neither of which are helped by acrobatics.

Dodging:
    Dodge TN for intervention: (2d6)[9]
    Check: (1d6)[5]

Combat:
    Handpeck
    TN check for intervention: (2d6)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]
    Edit: max damage. That's more like it!
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-13 at 02:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ramiel gives Malcolm a reassuring smile, leaning against a locker and crossing his arms while his charge calls his folks. The loud disturbance in the Symphony, however, nearly makes him jump as he looks out the window, towards the plume of smoke. He frowns, wondering to himself what on earth just happened. He was half-tempted to leave and look into it, but...well, he couldn't risk just running out in the middle of classes, let alone leaving Malcolm alone after he just saw a demon for the first time. Being a student had more constraints than he expected.

He's snapped out of his daze when Malcolm tells him he's called his parents, to which Ramiel looks sideways at him. "Alright, good...Hey, just to check, did you hear anything weird when...Ah, crap, nevermind. We'll talk about it later, for now I gotta get back before the teacher gets suspicious. You take yourself to the clinic, I'll meet with you after classes and we'll talk more then." He says, seeing his ward off.

Walking back to class, Ramiel takes a second to check the email from before, knowing that the teacher won't let him look at his phone once he's back. As soon as he's finished reading it, he heads back inside the classroom and gets back to his seat, whittling away the time until school was over and staring out the window towards the smoke for most of the teacher's lecture.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah journeyed eagerly into the club's depths. The whole area was like a monument to a bygone age. Understandable, of course. Ethereals tended to be nostalgic for the 'good old days'. Sarah certainly sympathised with their plight. Between the rise of monotheism and Uriel's crusade, the old gods had suffered greatly. But sympathy didn't blind her to reality. Innana's opulent thrones were likely a symbol of her deepest Need: To have the whole world bent in worship to her. Pagan deities possessed an insatiable hunger, that had to be kept in check.

None of that mattered right now, though. Sarah's eyes barely registered the opulent chamber around her. The magnificent throne, statues and decorations scarcely received a glance. She was searching for one particular thing. And when she found it, everything else faded into the background. With a cry, Sarah rushed for the pool's edge. She only just stopped herself from diving into it.

"Adele!"

She'd never seen Adele in such a sedate state. It seemed so wrong. That girl was meant to dance; To sing; To drive through God's creation like a maniac. Watching her sleep like this was cause enough for panic. The pagan symbols covering her made that feeling even worse. Meanwhile, Innana had the audacity to pretend that this travesty was fine. Sarah wanted to give a resentful glare. But her eyes refused to leave Adele. Her voice, however, was free to direct itself.

"'Safe'? This isn't safe! This is a violation of her fundamental nature! It verges on dissonance! Do you really expect me to believe that you're doing her some kind of favour?! I last saw Adele yesterday. She was fine! We talked and laughed together, just like we always do. What possible reason could there be for...for...this?"
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-13 at 09:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

IT'S GETTING HOT IN HERE, SO TAKE OFF ALL YOUR...VESSELS!

Haralambos and Khalil Dhali

The female Demon swung at Khalil, the accursed switchblade scoring a small line across his chest. The armored skin he had assumed mitigated much of the blow, but an angry looking wound split the flesh of his chest regardless. It caused undue discomfort in the Malakim, and he could feel the pulse of Infernal essence upon the wound.

Another burning punch struck Khalil's opponent, and she reeled with a grunt - the blood from the impact and a couple teeth immediately ashing as the holy green flames consumed them. She staggered, a hand pressed to her face and wobbled unsteadily upon her feet.

She was stunned. Khalil didn't know for how long, but it was an opening the Warrior Angel couldn't pass up.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

The switchblade caused 5 points of damage after the armor. Regardless, Khalil is faring much better than this Demon. She's stunned from the force of his attack.

Suddenly, a deep resonating voice bellows: FINISH HER!

Zhangarmal swung a hand out to swat away the celestial pigeon, frustrating painting his actions and making them erratic and uncoordinated. He had broken bones, and was missing an eye. Things were not looking good for this Servant of Belial.

The point was driven home even further, when he felt the pigeon suddenly latch onto his swining arm and the sudden, searing pain of its beak piercing the soft flesh on the inside of his wrist. Tendons snapped and he felt them literally roll up his arm as they were severed. The hand was useless and numb, but despite this it only took a moment for him to realize that it wasn't just the tendons and ligaments that were severed. That warm rush across his fingertips? It was blood, pumping freely at a heightened pace from his adrenaline-fueled heartbeat. His radial artery was open....

The Calabim, at that moment, knew he had well and truly been burned. In a moment of frightening clarity, he felt the last vestiges of strength ebbing from his body with each pulse. His good hand made a scrambling gesture - trying to unlock the dead man's switch from his body. But it wasn't a one handed job, and even if it were, his vessel was fading far too quickly.

He felt darkness closing in on his periphery, senses shutting down, but he could still feel the heat from below as Hell yawned open to his senses, preparing to welcome a wayward child home.

Show

The Calabim as about one round before he bleeds out. For all intents and purposes, that peck finished his vessel off, but I wanted to go for something perhaps a bit more cinematic.

As soon as that heartbeat stops, the bomb is going off. With the She-Fiend stunned, she's not going anywhere fast except back to Hell with Zhangarmal.
    The vest has about four pounds of C4 strapped across it. Damage equals 1d per quarter pound. So you're looking at an explosion dealing 16d damage. The damage will decrease by 2 points (not 2d) for every two yards the explosion travels until there's no damage left. This is going to be a big, noisy explosion.

I took a look at the Corporeal Song of Shields, and it certainly would be able to mitigate a great majority of the explosion from damaging the apartment - but I don't think it'd be big enough to protect the whole thing. Based on my math, even at minimum damage the explosion would be about 16 yards in diameter. So, be my guest Jeen and manifest that Song. You'll save a lot of people and property damage with it, but it wont be a perfect solution. Good thinking though!

I had a partial write up already done when the apartment building came down from the explosion.

One full turn for both Khalil and Harry to act. Do what thou will, gents, but be cool!

HOLLYWOOD ARTS HIGH SCHOOL

Ramiel

The rest of the day passed without much commotion - which was nice, in a way, but the Cherub could feel a tense anxiety in the air. It was like the electical charge that seemed to energize the wind before a big thunderstorm - though in this case, the storm was still raging on just South of the city and Los Angeles didn't likely have a repreive from the inclement weather in sight.

When the bell finally rang at 3:05 PM, he felt a rush of relief as he wasn't tied to the immediate requirements of his Role for the rest of the day. No class meant he could start dealing with the important things.

He had gotten a single text message from Malcolm earlier letting him know he had made it to the clinic safely and was chilling until Ramiel was ready. He'd been able to surrepitiously check his phone without the teacher noticing.

He'd had the day to ponder the details that the Servant of Blandine had provided. It was a bit of a hot mess of information. Some conflicting, but all dutifully recorded by the Angels of the Marches. It would require a fair bit of reading and deciphering to put much of use together, but the general theme he was starting to see was the presence of one sorrowful maiden, one looming shadow with curling horns and a wicked grin, and five humans who could sing a Song of such power that the Symphony would change according to their whims.

The BABYLON CLUB

Sarah

"She asked for this!" The Goddess spat, patience seemingly coming to an end and the facade of disinterest falling away to reveal the wild energy and power that came from being a disgraced Ethereal Deity.

"It was this, or she suffer even further. She asked me to track down a friend in the Marches for her. Hobus is his name. He's not an easy creature to find." She huffed, and stomped to the throne in a rather childishly indignant manner.

"She has been geased, Sarah. I'm sure you of all people should understand the potential severity of such a thing?" Her eyes narrowed dangerously. "The story is not all mine to give, but she was caught in a web she had no idea she was even wandering into. One of your Sisters closed the trap without our sweet Adele even realizing what had happened. I imagine she felt the Geas settle on her sometime last night. I imagine it was quick the moment of panic for her. From what she told me? The geas was simple. Stay put. Don't move. Don't leave the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area."

Inanna sprawled across her throne, and sighed longingly. There was, perhaps, a moment of vulnerability beneath the indignant, selfish facade the Goddess wore.

"Hobus has trinkets that can help her stave off the effects of the Geas. At least, that is the plan. I put her into a form of...suspended animation...if you will, so her being forced to remain in a single place wouldn't be so unbearable on her. Believe me. I was not to keen on the idea myself, but she insisted. Said she had friends who would help her...but she needed to find a way to at least mitigate the worst of it."

As if life couldn't be any more complicated for Sarah. The tasks ahead of her seemed daunting, especially with the newest revelation. Her friend - dearest Adele - had fallen victim to another Lilim. One who certainly did not have Adele's best interest at at heart.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

To Fry or Not to Fry?

Harry's mind pauses a moment, but fortunately the adrenaline of the fight has him moving quickly. The Calabim's fiddling... and Khalil's warning... no... oh no!

With a mix of fear, sorrow, and determination, Haralambos' talons grab the body of the Calabim by the shoulder and fly upward with speed greater than most birds of prey.

Once he clears the roof of the building, Harry releases the corpse as the Song of Shield erupts from his beak and his feathers move in a protective warding. He watches with dread as the body careens above him, safely beyond the reach of the human habitations.

He feels the protective field emerge from his vessel as he sees the flames begin to erupt above him.

Spoiler: pre-edited post
    Show

Harry's mind pauses a moment, but fortunately the adrenaline of the fight has him moving quickly. The Calabim's fiddling... and Khalil's warning... no... oh no!

The angelic pigeon kicks the corpse towards the pizzeria, yelling with all the sound he can muster, "Bomb in the alley! Get cover!", hoping the humans heed his warning. He flies, centering his body so the protective sphere will include his friend and much of the apartment complex. If he can fit the demoness, very well. The wings and beak move in a graceful, if somewhat alien, motion as, God-willing, a protective wave of energy emanates from the vessel.

Spoiler: 0 damage or 16d6 damage
    Show

Um, if the Song fails, Harry flies away as fast as he can, adding a "RUN!!!" to Khalil.
    Given the intensity of possible death, spending extra essence to boost the TN to 11. (1 essence to cast + 2 to boost TN from 9 to 11.) That's a 1 in 36 chance of failure...

So (3*4)=12 foot radius Sphere or instant death?
    (3d6)[5][1][5](11)

Essence Left 5/9
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-14 at 04:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

The situation was even worse than feared. Adele had been caught in a truly insidious trap. The heat of Sarah’s anger quickly dissipated: Leaving only cold horror. She sank to her knees beside the pool.

...If she's really resolute, she might manage to last two weeks. But we can't rely on her even holding out that long. First she’ll become Outcast. Then she’ll...she’ll...

The thought was too terrible to contemplate. Sarah stared helplessly at her friend’s sleeping form. When viewed on the Celestial plane, Geases usually took the form of chains. The chains around Adele were heavy enough to drag her down to Hell. The Tempter who'd crafted them had done a great job. In the old days, Sarah would have found it praiseworthy. Now it just sickened her. She knew plenty of ways to counter a gambit like this: But nearly all of them had to be done before the Geas took hold. Once those chains manifested, your options became extremely limited. Sarah's desperate mind was already going through the list. Even the most promising plans on it were almost hopeless. Hard as it was to admit, she lacked the power to save Adele alone. Thank God she wasn't alone.

Her gaze finally shifted back to the goddess. Until now, Sarah had viewed Inanna as a callous tormentor, who took pleasure in other people's desperation. But maybe there was a heart concealed behind all that arrogance and egotism. And maybe Sarah hadn't made enough effort to reach it. Still kneeling, the Angel of Trade let her better nature reassert itself.

"I'm sorry for being so curt. Concern and fear made me jump to conclusions. I'm grateful for your efforts to help my friend. Please forgive me for misjudging you.

C-Can these Artifacts really save her? I've never heard of such a thing. Even the Song of Freedom could only suppress this Geas for a few hours. But if Hobus is the key to Adele's salvation, then I'll do what I can to help you find him.
    "
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-16 at 05:45 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

The BABYLON CLUB

Sarah

Inanna was still reclining on the opulent throne, a pensive look seeping through the cracked façade of the majesty she was used to revealing.

”All is forgiven, Child of Lilith.” The Goddess waved a hand gently, dismissively, before cracking a small – if a bit sly – smile. ”Our Ofanim friend is very lucky to have you, if you would storm the haven of an Ethereal Queen with such fire and indignance for her.”

There was a pause, before she rose and padded across the dark stone floor towards the edge of the pool and Sarah.

”Hobus is a master at what he does. I daresay even your wayward Angel of Creation would be hard pressed to outdo him in his craft. If anyone can break the chains placed upon Adele, it would be he. Though…” She drops down, sitting on the edge of the pool and allowing her legs to dip into the comfortably warm water.

”Hobus’ services have never been cheap. I am calling in a few…favours….to even find him. He suffered greatly during the Purge and has been in hiding since.” Inanna trailed a fingertip through the water, motes of essence and power flaring in the depths of the luminescent pool at her touch.

”I have considered also an…alternative solution. If we can track the Lilim that did this to her….perhaps you could Geas her into releasing Adele? I am not intimately familiar with how your kind….work….but it may be worth an attempt, no?”

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Khalil did not relent, with his hands still aflame he grabbed the demoness by the sides of her head and drove his thumbs into her eye sockets. The flames cast a green glow over Khalil's face, contorted in rage as he pushed in his thumbs with all his considerable might.

Show
    Sorry, I've been the center of attention at work. It's horrible.

I'm not sure if I need to roll, or what I should roll on for a grapple?

(3d6)[3][1][4](8)
    Last edited by XIII; 2018-05-17 at 04:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

The 'fire and indignance' that Innana praised was a double edged sword. Sarah's passion gave her the strength to keep fighting; But played havoc with her objectivity. People like Jason, Selena and Bethany were so much more than jobs to her. Their Need to be saved shone like a beacon. And above those beacons, Adele now shone like a sun. Sarah found it harder and harder to stay restrained. Even as she talked quietly with the Goddess about plans and possibilities, a desperate voice in the back of her mind was screaming 'savehersavehersavehersaveher!'

"I was going to ask the Angelic grapevine about Hobus; But from the sounds of it, Angels searching for him might do more harm than good. So unless you know some way I can help, I'll leave that search to you.

As for Geasing the Geaser, I've already thought of that. It's on the top of my 'nearly hopeless plans' list. The Lilim would have to be an idiot to let me hook her now. Even if I'm lucky enough to find a strong enough Need in her and fulfil it, she'll probably see me coming a mile away. The plan is almost certainly doomed to failure.

...But as you say, it's worth trying anyway. And all my other ideas are even worse. Do you happen to know anything about her? I don't want to disturb Adele's sleep.
    "
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-17 at 01:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

WE’VE GOT EXPLOSIVES!

Show

I’m going to run this out of initiative order. Because reasons.

In the alley, out of the corner of Khalil’s eye he sees the frantic scrambling of the Calabim, one good hand fumbling at the straps that hold his vest on. He knew that something was up, but the shrieking fiend before him held the more immediate concern as he felt the righteous fury of Gabriel’s fire in his veins.

When his hands gripped the female Demon’s head the flickering green flames began to sear through the flesh. It began as idle wisps of smoke, but swiftly changes to rather voluminous plumes of stinking smoke. The heat burst the Demon’s eyes, and the shrieking intensified – body thrashing and struggling in futility as Divine Wrath burned her away. There was no blood, as it evaporated with the heat before it could even spill.

The demoness stilled abruptly, only an errant twitch indicating the final death spasms of her vessel.

Another Fallen cast back into the Pit.

When Khalil’s attention finally drifted from the brutality of his latest kill, he noticed immediately that Haralambos was not present any longer. Nor was the Calabim.

Above, the ringing chime of essence erupting into the power of a Song flared in the Symphony. Harry’s mad flight up into the sky was frenzied and driven by the desperation of knowing that the final act of Belial’s Brood would cause untold devastation and be a cataclysmic disturbance in the Symphony’s perfection.

It was a mighty heave by a diminutive form when Haralambos released Cao Shen and invoked a buffeting wall of wind. The Calabim’s howl was fueled by impotent rage and hate and he knew somewhere in the depths of his black, black heart that his time was up.

The explosion was deafening.

A massive shockwave ripping through the air above the apartment followed by a ball of roiling, churning fire.

Haralambos’ quick thinking at elevating the living bomb Cao Shen had become had prevented a great tragedy, but there was still some effects.

As he fluttered in the air, surrounded by the manifestation of the Song of Shields, the heat of the explosion warmed the currents of air that swirled around him – sparking and creating a miniature vortex of fire in the heart of the conflagration.

He could feel the Symphony distort as the shockwave cleaved around him. Shingles and tiles were torn from the nearby rooftops and air vents were slagged by the heat. Glass shattered. Car alarms began to wail all down the street. People screamed, some tumbled to the ground as they felt the vibrations shudder beneath them.

Below, at ground level, Khalil saw what could be described as a manifestation of the Word of Fire in a pure and ravenous form. Had it not come from the designs of a Demon, it would have been a beautiful thing. The Malakim felt the heat. Felt the gusting winds buffeting him from its force.

And when, finally, the smoke cleared, the alley was plunged into silence.

There was minimal damage; mostly superficial. But a fireball blossoming in the sky was not something to go unnoticed.

There was no trace of Cao Shen – the Calabim’s vessel ripped to insubstantial pieces by the force of the explosion. It was likely the accompanying fireball wouldn’t have affected him much.

The demoness was still limp upon the ground, much of the flesh of her face burned off – two blackened hand prints scored into the bone and what little meat remained on the sides of her head. She would be identifiable, but many would wonder at the gruesome method of her demise.

Next to her lay the switchblade. It thrummed with Infernal potency still.

The Pigeon-Harry fluttered down to land on a nearby dumpster, feathers looking a bit singed but otherwise remarkably whole, all things considering.

A handful of old, greasy napkins fetched from the dumpster provided an adequate barrier between the flesh of the Angels and the infernal relic, and with it in tow, the two Angels fled the scene even as some curious onlookers began to cautiously swarm the area to see if there was any indication as to what happened.

Even as they departed, the distant sounds of sirens were growing louder and louder.

Show

So Jeen had indicated that he was going to see if his Servant Jimmy could take a look at Khalil’s wounds. I’m going to assume that Khalil would be okay with such a thing.

Medicine Skill
    (2d6)[2][6](8)
    CD (1d6)[2]

EDIT: I don't have Jimmy's sheet in front of me, but I'm sure Khalil doesn't want to spend a whole day being treated, so I'm going to count it at a level 1 check regardless. This means Khalil heals his strength in body hits. Plus one body hit per sunrise.

SENTINEL INVESTIGATIONS

A quick phone call to Jimmy had him meet the two Angels at Khalil’s residence where he proceeded to take a look at the Malakim’s injuries and patch him up as best as he could.

He didn’t ask questions. He was good like that.

The two Angels parted ways when they were done.

The BABYLON CLUB

Sarah

”Only bits and pieces, I’m afraid. They are named Evexiel, and from what I gather they have been very active for long, long time. Supposedly Evexiel has ensnared more than our dear Adele here in their webs.” Inanna shakes her head slowly. ”I will do what I can to track them down, but my only lead is a Mercurian of Wind that Adele knows. This Angel is the last one to have had any real dealings with Evexiel prior to Adele’s encounter. Give me a day to find some information for you, would you? I imagine you have enough on your plate. Allow me to ease some of your burden, darling.”

Inanna smiles softly, and for but a moment, she seems far more mortal than the inscrutable deity of old that she presents.
    ”After all, if my neutrality is going to be jeaperdized, then at least it should be for a worthy cause…..and, I owe Adele, so a friend of hers….is a friend of mine.”

It’s around this moment that, once again, the discordant sounds of destruction rip through the Symphony on an astounding level. Twice in a single day as the Celestial world impacted the Symphony in such a distinctive manner. Even Inanna’s eyes widen in shock.

”There will be open warfare in the city soon if this continues – assuming there is not already!” The Ethereal Goddess seems rather unnerved by the idea of the War coming to her chosen home.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-17 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

I trust Haralambos.

The singular thought was enough to refocus all of Khalil's attention comfortably on his opponent.

The old man rushed the demon, gripping it's head in both hands. "Sopholael is avenged three times over." He didn't know if he could hear her, and he didn't rightly care. Khalil watched her burn, a sense of righteousness filled his chest.

After it was over, his rapid and heavy breathing slowed, calming gradually. The flames around his hands danced wildly, as if searching for their next victim. Khalil hadn't realized he'd been smiling until his cheeks started to cramp up. "Harry?" The old man mumbled to himself and began looking around frantically for his ally as well as enemies.

He never took his eyes off the explosion. He hated that he appreciated anything about it. It was perverse, an aberration. He tried not to enjoy the heat wave.

"Thank you, Jimmy." Khalil settled back into his office chair wondering if Solomon was going to be pleased or not. He called and would try to explain how he did not mean for things to go the way they did, but three demons including the one responsible for Brighton House were back in hell and we had also essentially given Belial the bird. Praise Gabriel. Khalil would try the joke on Harry later, he hoped Solomon would appreciate the humor. He would also have to explain that turtleneck got away, and there was probably no way he didn't notice what we were doing. Although he found it strange that he wouldn't jump into a 3v2 especially in his celestial form. Perhaps the motorcycle dive bomb technique had scared him off. After whatever came from Solomon, the old detective would get an update from Justin on his sister's condition.
    Last edited by XIII; 2018-05-17 at 07:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I... I'm not dead. It worked! Yes! Praise God, Glory to Him and Archangel Michael, thought Haralambos as the firestorm flared around him, the protective winds of his Song protecting him.

As the fire faded, he looked sorrowfully at the damage wrought. He heard the smashing sound against the Symphony, but at least it wasn't the same of humans dying. All in all, this was a grand success. Moreso when he saw Khalil had slain the other demon and claimed some relic from the armies of darkness. Before departing, Haralambos made sure the Soldier was indeed dead.

---

"Yes, thank you, Jimmy. You really are helping God and mankind by your skill" said the pigeon. "It sounds there might be more violence soon. Try to stay safe, but if you hear of anyone unusual needing patching, let me know. It might be a demon or their servants looking for a doc. Also, um, I might go after the Bloodhounds soon, so if you hear anything about them, let me know, but no need to go asking. I don't want their attention on you."

---

"Be safe, Khalil. That was... well, man, that was glorious and fun. I never got to hurl a motorcycle at a demon before. I'll give Jerechial a call to let him know the noise was us, see if van Graff can get Cao Shen or the demoness' roles destroyed. I'll be a pigeon a while more, but I got my phone, so call me if you need me."

After a bit of jovial congratulations, the excitement fades from Harry's voice. He describes to his friend what he knows about Hanna and the strangeness he saw with her. He doesn't like to think about dying, but, if he dies, he wants at least one angel willing to fight to know that Hanna needs protecting.

---

Feeling somewhat close to being able to rest, Harry flies to Hanna's house and peeks into her bedroom window. All in all, he wasn't gone long, and hopes to find her pleasantly resting.

Spoiler: if-else chains
    Show

IF Hanna is resting and everything looks normal, Harry waits until his Seraphic senses recharge to talk to her. Even if she wakes up, as long as she seems okay, he just observes for now. (She hasn't seen him as a pigeon yet.) He'll go to the roof to call Jerechial and explain, somewhat apologetically but also sounding excited, about the fight, and ask for him to pass on to van Graff about the demons, targeting their roles.

When his senses refresh, assuming they can chat, he pecks on a window or door, then introduces himself as Haralambos in another form, and touches her to activate his senses.

"Hanna, I know this is probably hard for you, but I want you to try to tell me again why you came to the apartment you met me at, and what you did after we parted until we met at Dunkin Donuts. Don't worry if the details or whys are fuzzy in your head, just try to explain as best you can." With some distaste in his mouth, he adds, "Even if you aren't sure, say something true or false, and I'll better know what's true. It's an angelic thing, and it'll help me know more so I can better protect you. But, first, I want you to answer me a simple yes-no question, that I'm sorry to ask: are you human?"

If that goes well, he follows up, "Were you possessed or influenced to talk to me?" and, lastly (due to chance of freak-out), "Tell me again what your uncle, or the thing in your uncle, said to you about Singing." If she's still okay, he adds, "Tell me any nightmares or strange dreams you've had."

He may take some notes on paper, probably look

ELSE... well, let me know what's strange happening and I'll see what Harry does.

he may have some follow-up questions, but i figure that's the best given his roll. hope this combo post is okay
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-17 at 08:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Evexiel? The name was unfamiliar. Even the Sisterhood's network couldn't keep every Lilim informed about every other. And Sarah wasn't about to waltz into the Guildhall for fresh gossip. Thankfully, she had a new circle of friends in her life: One that might have just grown again. Sarah returned Inanna's soft smile. Once you got past the Goddess' outer shell, she was surprisingly likeable. Sarah took comfort in this touching moment of empathy...

...which really was just a moment. No sooner had Sarah begun to relax, when the Symphony erupted. She leapt to her feet in panic. Oh God, what now?! She'd apparently lingered here long enough. The world was calling her back to it.

"I...I think that's my cue to leave. I need to help stop whatever new disaster made that noise. Thanks so much for looking after my...our friend."

There was another farewell to make before she departed; Not that Adele would hear it. Sarah cast a last long, desperate look at the floating sleeper below her.

"Please hold on. Please don't go. We're doing all we can to make this right."

Then (unless Inanna stopped her) she left the grotto behind. No time to rest beside the Angel she cared for so much. Her car would soon be speeding towards the latest in a long line of crises.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Khalil laughed, "And most of it goes to you and Michael, I can't deny that. You sent two of them back to the pit on top of saving so many lives, including my own. You were magnificent. Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen the last of Zhangarmal. Luckily, he doesn't know who you are, so if anything he'll come after me one day. I might have me a nemesis, imagine that? The demoness will surely remember me, but may have the sense to stay away. Stay safe as well, Harry. Call me if you need me. And thanks again for coming so quickly to my aid, I probably couldn't have managed that without you. I'll contact Solomon and give him an update."

Khalil listened to Harry intently, "I see. My talents aren't very useful in this case, reach out to the others for help in determining the exact nature of the weirdness. But, should something happen, I will watch over her for you. Funny, I have my own ward as well." Khalil tells Harry about Justin's request to find his sister, the events at Oblivion (including his first sighting of turtleneck and the fact that he works there), and his plans to get her on the right track. Gabriel demands this of Khalil, and it is only right. "I only ask the same, if I am to experience my first death then please keep that girl on the right track. Nothing weird, just a girl that mixed in with the wrong crowd. At some point, I'm going to try to get into that building they were using and snoop around. I'm not hopeful, it would have been better to do it before we dispensed our indiscriminate and righteous justice."
    Last edited by XIII; 2018-05-18 at 07:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    Khalil listened to Harry intently, "I see. My talents aren't very useful in this case, reach out to the others for help in determining the exact nature of the weirdness. But, should something happen, I will watch over her for you. Funny, I have my own ward as well." Khalil tells Harry about Justin's request to find his sister, the events at Oblivion (including his first sighting of turtleneck and the fact that he works there), and his plans to get her on the right track. Gabriel demands this of Khalil, and it is only right. "I only ask the same, if I am to experience my first death then please keep that girl on the right track. Nothing weird, just a girl that mixed in with the wrong crowd. At some point, I'm going to try to get into that building they were using and snoop around. I'm not hopeful, it would have been better to do it before we dispensed our indiscriminate and righteous justice."
    Harry pauses for a long moment, his pigeon head tilted sideways quizzically. Khalil probably recognizes it as his friend thinking something over. Then he speaks.
    "Um, yeah, I can try to look out for her. If you get a chance, I think you should ask if she's having strange nightmares. Or maybe ask her brother, so it doesn't freak her out like Hanna freaked out. Things seems... well, destined or fated... Maybe God's Symphony is somehow leading us to the Five, and she's one of one. To most humans, it'd seem I first saw Hanna by chance, but part of me doubts that."

Less solemnly, he adds, "You saw turtleneck at Oblivion. Hmm... I was asked to talk to the Lebedev sisters there today. After I killed that Soldier of War last night, the older one asked me about a job. Gonna turn it down, but figured it'd give me a chance to see if her younger sister is a demon or serving one. By the way, the older Lebedev is not a demon but I sensed some sorta demonic influence or working with 'em."
    Harry steps back and forth a moment. Sarah probably wouldn't want him mentioning Selena to his friend, but it felt bad not to. "I know a bit, but gonna look into it more."

With a laugh, he then adds, "But with how busy things are, having the Russian mob trying to kill me would be annoying. If I see turtleneck, though, I might try to end him. Oh, and I figured with us taking out some martial demons, I might try to get Haroon Sadat dead. You're welcome to come, but I know I'm better at dodging bullets than you, so probably best if you sit it out. But if you hear noise at Oblivion or Bloodhound turf tonight, it's probably me."

With some hesitation, he asks, "Do you have a jolt or two of essence you could spare? I'm not low after that fight, but it definitely used up a good bit, and I should at least become the Madman again later."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-18 at 10:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

"Stranger things have happened, but so far there hasn't been anything to indicate anything other than her being a troubled teen. I plan on getting closer to the family to watch over her anyway, I'll keep it in mind. Careful with the mob types, taking them out can result in power vacuums and other consequences as other groups move in when they smell blood in the water. Anyway, call if you need help. I'm sure I can manage busting through a wall or something. And yes, I regained more than I even needed from that fight, take some." Khalil closed his eyes and extended his hand to Harry as three green flames snaked from his skin and made their way lazily to Harry. They burned far brighter than his hands or armor did.

Show
    Even though he's a pigeon, being as Harry's has the social grace of a baseball bat, would Khalil be able to tell (or roll) for Harry withholding info like that? He's become very good at reading pigeon body language

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

SOMEWHERE NEAR BRIGHTON HOUSE

Sarah

Inanna did not stop Sarah from making her way out of the club like the Hounds of Hell were set upon her, but the Lilim did catch a smile and wave from Duke as she passed.

The trip from the Babylon Club towards the latest cacophony was quick at first, but inevitably stalled as Police and other Emergency Service personnel had begun to close off various streets to keep the people away. In the distance, she saw the black plume of the Brighton House disaster beginning to become wispy and indistinct as the collective efforts of rain and fire fighters had finally put the blaze out and now, smoldering wood was now simply belching up what last bit of smoke it could offer.

As Sarah got caught in the obstructed traffic, she caught the tail end of a news broadcast when she flicked on her car radio to see if there was any news.

”….following the explosion that rocked the esteemed Brighton House Academy in downtown Los Angeles, a second bomb was set off just north of the initial site. While this bomb somehow exploded above ground level, thus limiting damage to surrounding buildings, it still caused immense superficial damage to the neighborhood. Two individuals were found dead at the scene. Police have thus far refused to name the deceased, though insider sources claim they were previously known to them. Police Chief Isabella Woodridge has issued a brief statement, claiming that there is no evidence that this was an act of terrorism or was connected to the Brighton House Academy disaster early this morning. She advises the public to remain calm. Hopefully, we will have more tonight at 6:00 pm. In other news….”

The broadcast was interrupted by Sarah’s cell-phone ringing.

It was Mercy….

The DANCOURT RESIDENCE

Haralambos

After Harry and Khalil had parted ways, the call to Jerichael went remarkably well. The Angel of Stone was incredibly pleased they’d put down not one, but two Demons, but he did caution Haralambos to ensure that he and Khalil didn’t go too far. While this could be claimed as a justifiable retaliation against the killing of Sopholael, they still had to ensure there wasn’t an uptick in outright hostility. If the war came full-force to Los Angeles, it would be very likely that the Five could get caught in the cross-fire somehow. Jerichael promised he’d pass the news along to all the other Angels, and bid Harry luck and good fortune.

Eventually, the Seraph made his way back to the Dancourt residence to check on Hanna. The immediate thing he noticed as he approached was the extra vehicles in front of her house. A police car, along with the car that belonged to Elizabeth – Hanna’s foster mom. There was a murmur of voices floating through the front door, which had been left open – only the screen there, allowing the cool rainy breeze to filter into the house.

Through a window, Harry saw Elizabeth and Hanna sitting at a table while a tall man in a beige overcoat leaned against the nearby kitchen counter. He wore a badge around his neck on a lanyard, and despite his slightly rotund belly, he seemed quite nimble of his feet and unusually graceful.

”…listen to reason….”
    “…know what you want me to say….”
    “..st tell me who…..”
    “…Hanna…..please…”
    “You don’t…..in here and…..I WAS THERE!”

The conversation was disjointed at best, but based on the escalating volume of Hanna’s voice and the anger that seemed to be palpable from the body language of both her and the police Detective, it was not a pleasant conversation indeed.

Show

I’m going to save the conversation you wrote up with Hanna for when an opportunity presents itself, if that’s okay. Unless inspiration strikes you for something else.

SENTINEL INVESTIGATIONS

Khalil Dhali

Eventually, both Jimmy and Harry left Khalil to his own devices. There were a few messages blinking on his desk phone tied to his official work line. Maybe some more offers for work?

In the meantime, Khalil felt substantially better – despite having offered essence to Harry and taking a few shots from the Demoness. Jimmy certainly knew his trade well.

Sitting on the desk in front of him, half-remembered but certainly not forgotten, was the switchblade that seemed to resonate with dark purpose and power. The whole blade was covered in small engravings, and the handle was warm to the touch and crafted to fit in the palm of the hand in an ergonomic fashion. It was a quality blade, high-grade tempered carbon fiber and titanium. It was likely incredibly expensive as well.

A sudden thought occurred to Khalil. If it was so specialized and expensive, it was also very likely able to track it down.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Another explosion, so soon? Brighton House hadn't even stopped smouldering! Sarah waited impatiently for the traffic to clear. According to the news, at least two people had died in that attack. She prayed that they'd somehow both been Demons. The loss of yet another good person (whether Angel or human) would be horrible. The sound of Sarah's phone ringing yet again made her tense up. Would this be even more bad news? Preparing herself for the worst, she answered.

"Mercy! I'm en route to the explosion site now. What in God's name is happening?"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

NEAR BRIGHTON HOUSE

Sarah

When Mercy came over the line, she chuckled and sighed seemingly all in one breath.

"Harry and the Malakim - Khalil - hunted down the Calabim who was responsible for Sopholael's death and the destruction at Brighton. Seems like it was a Servant of Belial. Had a vest rigged with explosives. When they sent him back to Hell, it set off the bomb." The Servant of Flowers seemed remarkably calm in describing more violence, but Sarah picked up on the undertones of sorrow in her voice.

"Jerichael said that Harry called him when it was done. The left another Demon and a Soldier dead, and there apparently...wasn't anything left of the Calabim after the bomb. I'm happy that Sopholael and the students hurt got justice...but....it feels like the War is shifting. More active and that doesn't bode well for anyone."

There is a pause on the line. "Sarah, please be careful. I knew this whole Prophecy mess was going to change the dynamic in the city, but I'm terrified it's going to get out of control and now I can't reach Jason or Malchiel. They were going to check out Thatch's loft and went radio silent an hour ago. Have you heard from either of them?"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah breathed a sigh of relief. She'd been spared another reason to mourn. The explosion had been the result of Harry and Khalil doing what they did best: Dispatching Hell's minions. Sarah was a big believer in Redemption. Like Mercy, she preferred to try kindness before resorting to violence. But she was willing to bet that kindness would have been wasted here. Demons who torched entire libraries generally weren't on the cusp of Redemption.

Nonetheless, Mercy was right. All this mayhem was a bad omen. No wonder she was worried about Jason and Malchiel.

"You be careful too. There's no telling who and what will be threatened next. And no, I haven't heard anything from those two. Do you want me to go check on them?"

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

UCLA DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS, ROOM 103

Katriel

”Sorry I’m late! Mr.Langford was showing me his new e-cigarette and got a little carried away!” Mr. Barton swarmed into the classroom, Hawaiian shirt flapping in the wind to reveal the grey Iron Maiden wife-beater beneath which stood in stark contrast to the beige khaki pants he was wearing with a pair of Crocs. Barton was a bit of a rogue element in the Communications Department; a self-styled hippie and the head of the Los Angeles Inquest online news service.

The room he entered was filled with a handful of journalism students who were earning some extra credit by officially working at the student-run news forum.

Jackson Bryte, the T.A who was handling the group of students until Barton arrived smiled warmly, and stepped aside with a flourish to give the Professor the floor.

”Right! He said with a wide grin, ”Let’s talk news! We’ve got a story about the new Aviary opening up in Laguna Beach. We’ve got a story about Dancourt maybe-kinda-sorta getting out on a technicality and we’ve had a lot of requests from the student council to do an expose on the night life around the city. Any takers?”

There were a few students present who immediately started volunteering for the aviary story; they weren’t in it for the journalism, but for feel-good puff pieces and, of course, the extra credit. A few students even seemed interested in doing up the story on Dancourt.

One student raised his hand – Daniel Brugga – to do the story on the night life of the city.

Barton took one look, and frowned. ”You’re not going to see how awesome the party is, Bro. You’re on duty. Put your damn hand down.” Daniel, looking a little crestfallen at being called out, lowered his head.

”Oh yeah! I snagged an interview with a couple of big names for whomever takes this one. The owners of the Babylon Club and the Rhapsody in Red! That’ll certainly look good on someone’s resume. Maybe even make a friend or two?” His grin is so wide it seems to split the fluffy beard he has in twain.

No one raises their hand.

”Come on! Where’s your spirit of adventure?”

NEAR BRIGHTON

Sarah

”Only if you’re not busy, Sarah. I was going to ask Solomon but he and Jerichael are meeting with Gaspariel about upping their security on the Tethers. I’ll text you the address. I’m really sorry to ask. I know how busy you are. But I really appreciate it. I guess I’m just a bit nervous about Jason. He’s come so far to even be helping us now, and I’d hate to see that hard work ruined.”
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-19 at 07:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Katriel

The newest (yet also oldest not that she looked it) student in the class had had to bite her tongue to stifle a giggle at Daniel Brugga's expression. Truthfully she felt a bit sorry for him getting shot down in front of everyone but he just looked so downcast at missing a chance to party that it was funny. She'd definitely tease him later (in a friendly way of course...)

Kat blinked as she realised she'd lost her train of thought while Mr. Langford was still speaking. Then his words hit her brain and she quickly raised her hand, waving it around eagerly. 'Adventure yes! I can do it Mr. Langford! I can make friends! Pick me!'

Kat's smile was ablaze with enthusiasm and she was practically bouncing in her high heels as she waved her hand in the air. She seemed almost afraid she would be invisible if she didn't make herself known. This was unlikely. True she was only 5'3 but the shoes, the near blinding red top, skirt and beret and sheer attitude would have made her obvious in a far larger group.

Club Babylon... it had been long, long time since Kat had been in LA but something about that name seemed very familiar if she could just put her finger on it. She was very curious to see just what that vague twinge in the back of her mind meant. Besides, if she was being entirely honest she wasn't too different from Daniel Brugga. She wanted to see the clubs again, to drink in the sheer life taking place in them.

'I just have to remember to be more careful this time,' Kat silently promised herself. 'Remember that!'

She waved her hand even harder.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course Sarah was busy. Jason was far from the only desperate soul who needed her help. He wasn't even the only Demon! But when he or his guardians called, she'd answer.

"I'm on my way. Stay safe, Mercy."
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-19 at 07:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Harry's relieved that Jerechial is happy, not ticked, about the disturbance. He figured he'd be, but, well, it's a relief in tricky situations like that.
    Reluctantly, Harry mentions he'll try to remember not to get too noisy. He says he'll try to remember not to kill anyone at Oblivion that'll rile up the mob, at least unless it'd be dissonant not to or it's obviously a bad demon, like turtleneck. He also mentions his thoughts on the Ghostbloods, but says he'll wait a bit unless the other militants think it's a good idea.

--
    Haralambos is a bit frustrated at seeing Hanna so disturbed, but it's better than a lot he had considered: her gone, or dead, or acting out some dark rite. He was also frustrated he couldn't make out all they were saying, and his Seraphic senses were still too frazzled to help.

He tried looking in a window to get the name of the officer, then hopped to the roof, where he stashed his phone.
    A quick call to van Graff... hopefully the explosion didn't have the Chief too busy.

If he reaches him, he says, "Hey, it's Haralambos. Um, do you know anything about the officer assigned to the Dancourts' place right now. Or her... uncle Ryan, I think his name was, her adoptive mum's brother, I guess. Hanna's really upset at whatever the cops are saying. You know if they're trustworthy?" Recalling a touch of how the detective moved, he adds, "Or you know if they're really human?"
    He also asks van Graff his thoughts on Harry attacking the Ghostbloods, figuring there's much ill blood between them.

If he doesn't, he leaves a message to call Haralambos, but notes it's "not urgent urgent".

Otherwise, unless Hanna leaves or something bad happens to her, he just waits and observes, trying to listen as he can.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-19 at 09:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

The old man sat down in front of his boiler room furnace. He pulled out his phone and sent a simple text to Justin asking if everything was still ok. Khalil dug through his memories and would open his personnel files to determine where the best place to start was. Who did he know that was capable of this infernal craftsmanship, or would deal in such items? He stroked his mustache pensively as he bathed in the waves of heat...

Show
    How does to the conversation between Khalil and Solomon go?

For detectiving?
    (3d6)[6][4][2](12)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

THACHAEL'S LOFT

Sarah

It took a while to arrive there, and Sarah had to park a considerable distance away due to the throngs of humanity from lower income brackets that made their way through the neighborhood; picking their way through open-air markets, streetside vendors and others trying to make their way in the world.

The smell of kiosk food; hot dogs, kebabs and noodle bowls filled the air along with the occasional whiff of exotic tobacco or shisha.

By the time Sarah had made it to the block that Thatch's loft sat on, the perpetual rain had begun to abate and spears of sunlight lanced through the breaking cloud cover to shimmer like liquid fire in the puddles that lined the streets.

A middle-aged black man with wild dreadlocks sat next to the entrance to the building, strumming upon a ukulele the opening chords to Somewhere over the Rainbow.

As she approached, the playing abruptly stopped and he offered her a gap-toothed smile, coils of smoke from his pipe escaping past his parted lips.
    "Sun comin' out finally. Bringin' wit it summore hope for th'day. Y'got eyes like th'sun, Miss." The man spoke, weathered fingers plucking at a few errant strings. "I betcha lotsa folk see th'hope when yer around."

UCLA DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS. ROOM 103

Katriel

Professor Barton made a big and grand show of looking around the room for a volunteer, making a point to pass over Kat with every sweep of his gaze.
    There were a few groans from other students at Kat's exhuberance, but most of them seemed happy that someone else was willing to take it upon themselves.

Eventually, Barton snickered and stopped his wandering eyes on Kat. "Alright Miss O'Brien. The job is yours." He turns to his briefcase, and flips it open before shuffling around inside for a few moments. A moment later, he's turning back with a small scrap of paper torn from a notebook. Upon it, in his signature scrawl, were the addresses for both the Babylon Club, and a time: 9:00 pm sharp. Underneath it was the scribbled name Miss I. Akkad.

Handing Kat the scrap of paper, his smile falters somewhat. "Your other appointment is with Madison Rourke at the Rhapsody in Red. In her case, she was very insistant that you could come whenever it fit your schedule. She said something about....making time for you."

DANCOURT RESIDENCE

Haralambos

Jerichael believes that if Haralambos decides to go after the Ghostbloods, he certainly can if he's sure. But if killing Zhangarmal and the female Demon weren't bad enough right after Lee, going after a hot-bed of Infernal control might warrant a direct response from Bethrezen. It would be like attacking his power base. A direct affront to his authority.
    -
    The yelling was escalating, the actual words beginning to degenerate into simple sounds of intense frustration and, it seemed, rage.
    When Gaspariel answers the phone with a curt grunt, he listens to Haralambos' inquiries thoughtfully.

"Ryan? Yeah. He's a good lad. Solid. Dependable, and entirely human.....But....hold on...." There is some typing and shuffling on the other end of the line. "Ryan is on a call down in East Compton. We don't have an officer at the Dancourts right now. What's he look like?" Gaspariel seems a bit exasperated.

"As for the Ghostbloods? Cr*p on a stick, Harry. They're like gnats. You can put dozens of them in the ground and they'll just pick up more, and usually from the low-income kids that the rest of the city forgets. I'd be really leery on bringing open war to them. Sadat ain't the only Demon who'se got his nasty little eye on them. But...if you're going to hit 'em a couple times, give me a heads up first and I'll make sure we get some annonymous tips to be in the area for clean up duty."

SENTINEL INVESTIGATIONS

Khalil Dhali

When Solomon answered the phone, Khalil could positively hear the wide smile on the Cherub's face. It seemed a tangible thing.

"Khalil my friend. What can I do for you? I heard some...disturbances.....and prayed that you were not involved. You are well, yes?" There was some concern in the voice, but like usual, Solomon was fishing for information. Few people had faith in Khalil's ability to put Demons down like Solomon did, and considering how many notches Khalil was earning in his short life, that was saying something indeed.

Around this time, he received a short text back from Justin as the heat from the furnace seeped comfortingly into him.

<Caitlyn sleeping soundly. Got up 2 go 2 washroom but went back to bed after. A-OK.>
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-05-21 at 12:18 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah normally enjoyed neighbourhoods like this. Humanity's energy thrummed through the busy crowds. Being among them was exhilarating. And so much of their activity strengthened Marc's word. Trade wasn't confined to stock exchanges and boardrooms. It dwelt in every enterprising kid, selling trinkets on a street corner. It dwelt in all the simple stalls that Sarah now passed. She could easily spend hours shopping in such a place.

Not today, though. Today there were higher priorities. Comrades needed her help. Sarah skipped all her usual browsing and sightseeing. She made it through the whole neighbourhood, having only bought one bracelet. The girl selling it had been so hungry and desperate. You can't just ignore a Need like that. With the new accessory around one wrist, Sarah reached Thatch's earthly home.

She was greeted by the building's unofficial doorman. He paid her a compliment that should have been cheesy; But had the ring of sincerity. He seemed to be genuinely speaking his mind. She paused briefly to return his kind words.

"That's nice of you to say. I'm sure you've brightened many days yourself."

What a shame that she had so little time to linger. Her mission soon pushed her past the ukulele player, up towards Thatch's loft. Poor Thatch. He was beyond any help that Sarah could provide. But she could still help the people he'd cared about. His last message had asked her to take care of Jason; And the woman he loved. Sarah would do everything she could to honour his final wishes.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-05-22 at 01:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Katriel

Kat smiled perkily as she plucked the slip of paper from Professor Barton's hand. 'Thanks Prof, I won't let you down!'

The names meant frustratingly little to Katriel, one of the disadvantages of being the new girl on the block. Still, one didn't need to be a Servitor of Jean to be smart enough to know any club with a name like 'Rhapsody in Red' probably skewed diabolic. The Distingushed Opposition loved sly winks like that. As for Madison... well, Kat couldn't let an invitation like that down could she?

Also red was her favourite colour. Maybe that was a good sign?

As her fingertips brushed the Prof's hand Katriel invoked her Resonance, hoping that she might get some clue on the Prof's discomfort about Madison.

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show
    Okay first time, so I hope I'm doing this right!

Katriel has a Perception of 7 and if the + 2 for physical contact applies I guess that is a target of 9 (though maybe just brushing fingers doesn't count.)

Resonance Roll: (2d6)[7]
    Check Digit: (1d6)[1]

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"...well, if I do go after the Ghostbloods, I wasn't planning on killing any. Maybe I could just find some and ask for Sadat? Kill him, then leave? A punch or two should leave any of the thugs on the ground.
    But Jerechial seemed... well, thinking it might get the demons too active if I did.
    ." He ends that thought with a disappointed sigh. He knew he should defer to the smarter angels about some things, but it did annoy him not to go demon-killing. A playful thought arose that he might as well wait until tomorrow, so the rite of dueling a demon could again work. The thought of killing a demon to regain essence and strengthen Michael's Word made him happy, amidst his concern for Hanna.

Haralambos describes the officer as best he can, giving the name on the badge if he saw it.
    "Um, hold on. They're shouting louder. My phone's on the roof, so I'm gonna fly down. Please stay on the line if you can, but I'll call ya back if you have to hang up. I'll try to get a better look at his face, too."

He flies down to hear and watch better, looking in through a window. He regrets not telling Hanna he could turn into a pigeon. He'd like to give a comforting peck at the glass right now.
    Show

Would I take hits if I flew through a window?

Alternatively, do they have a chimney? I reckon not, based on the earlier descriptions, but Harry could possibly fly down it if he's worried a maybe-demon cop is taking Hanna.

EDIT: alternatively alternatively, any windows happen to be open?
    Harry could try to scare off the cop, if he does something bad, by spending essence to show an angel is nearby. But Harry ain't subtle (It is hard for me to RP his low ethereal stats, but I'm a-tryin' )
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2018-05-21 at 09:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

THACHAEL’S LOFT
    2:15 PM

Sarah

The smile the little girl had given Sarah when she bought the bracelet was so wide and so bright it was blinding. She thanked the Bright Lilim, and stuffed the cash into the pocked of the small canvas bag slung across her back.

The ukulele player’s smile faltered a bit at Sarah’s response and he chuckled somewhat sadly. ”Maybe…maybe I did.” As Sarah passes and enters into the loft, the refrain of Somewhere over the Rainbow filters through the door behind her.

There’s a sudden sound from several floors up, a trio of sharp pops, followed by a loud thump that sends some dust fluttering down from exposed portions of the roof above her.

There wasn’t any disturbance of the Symphony, but something in Sarah’s gut was warning her that something wasn’t quite right.

A number of footsteps began to descent the stairs from a couple levels up; not in any hurry, almost languidly. She heard a masculine chuckle, and some soft murmured voices from whomever was on the way down.

UCLA DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS, ROOM 103

Katriel

Barton nodded, still wearing his grin. ”I know you won’t Kat. Just…uh….do me a favour okay?” He peers at her with a sudden intensity to his stare. There is a pregnant pause as he just…stares at her….as if trying to impart some ancient wisdom to the young woman.

”Remember….” Barton says, ”…..Spell-check is your friend.” The sudden grin, and quirked eyebrow break the severity of his initial countenance. There is a small chuckle that ripples through the class good-naturedly.

With the scrap of paper in hand, the skin-on-skin contact allowed Kat’s Resonance to flow between them easier, and her perception of Barton unfurled before her.

Spoiler: Resonance Results
    Show

With a Check Digit of 3, Kat has revealed to her the following: Barton thinks he’s a good man with a drive and ambition to promote integrity and truth in the media. Unfortunately, Barton also realizes he is a bit of a coward and doesn’t have the gumption to go after the hard hitting stories himself, so he lives by the idea that Those who can, Do. Those who can’t, Teach. Most of the teachers like him (even some of the old stodgier ones, as he’s quite funny, and he’s popular with a lot of his students as well. His close friends call him Bart, or Barry (his first name), and while he is Caucasian he grew up in Hawaii with his parents and the Luau way of life followed him to the mainland. He’s got a hobby that involves conspiracy theories about supernatural beings walking among them, due to a close encounter he claims to have had.

DANCOURT RESIDENCE

Haralambos

Show

I’d say it would depend on the check digit of your strength check to bust the glass. Knowing Harry, I don’t think he’d take much – if any. On that note, however, the windows and the door are all open and just covered by a screen mesh which you could rip through rather easily.
    No chimney, alas.

And you’re doing very well with the Low-Ethereal focus.

”Sadat is a big fish, Harry. He’s not going to just show up ‘cause you asked him to. Best way to get to him is either through his cronies in bulk or to do it through legitimate business. He’s been known to meet with people looking to do business with the Ghostbloods.”

Gaspariel grunts his assertion that he’ll wait on the line for Harry to take care of whatever business he needs to.

The Detective is leaning on the doorframe of the small kitchen, his arms crossed over his chest in a very closed off physical presence. His face seems tight, drawn and focused: eyes narrowed as he stares at the two women.

Both of the women are in the throes of intense, furious anger. Their skin is flushed, and eyes reddening to a bloodshot appearance. Elizabeth is leaning over the smaller girl, a finger thrust in her face while she screams – spittle flying from her lips. Hanna’s posture is tight, hunched, fists balled at her sides and shoulders shuddering with each enraged breath she takes.

The Detective doesn’t seem to be doing anything about the escalating aggression between the two women.

The two women who love one another, and want to protect each other and who all of a sudden seem very likely to be on the edge of coming to blows and degenerating into physical violence.