New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IX

Quote Originally Posted by Erulasto View Post
    ”Is there no way to…say…destroy the book?” Astoria asked, hopefully. ”Or perhaps drop it to the bottom of the sea?”

”Or…perhaps the Dwarves of the Dwimmulhold could be persuaded to lock it away in that fortress of theirs?”
    "I've been thinking about the volcanic fissures in the Dead Hills," said Elsa, gesturing vaguely south. "The challenge is getting close to them without being burned, but I suppose you could put the book in a barrel or a cart and give it a good push. I don't think the volcano fire will destroy it... I've tried to burn it with spells before, couldn't even singe it... but it'll put it out of the reach of most creatures."

She put the emphasis on most to imply that she did not see this as an infallible solution.

"As for the Dwarfs... good luck getting them to agree to take a dangerous magical artifact into their hold. They despise magic, and they have little reason to trust me."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-10-12 at 09:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert & Ludo, 11th Sommerzeit

"Mm," said Hieronymus. "That would explain why he hasn't been answering my letters." His efforts to feed Euthymius forgotten, he took a seat. "This sickness is certainly strange - although I must say if it was started deliberately, our fellow could have done better. The Shallyans could say more on the subject, I'm sure, but as far as I can see it has spread slowly and claimed few lives here in the city." He scratched his chin and gave a dry chuckle. "I've seen deadlier outbreaks of the flux than this 'Pale Wasting'."

"Anyway, you make... salient points, master halfling," said Hieronymus, looking to his withered hand. "It's probably for the best if I remain here. Once the book is safe, though, I'd appreciate it if you could send word back here to the city."
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-10-12 at 11:15 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert & Ludo, 11th Sommerzeit

"Once the book is safe I'll probably be coming back here myself," Adelbert said. He lowered eyes, looking and sounding tired. "I was thinking of joining the temple."

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

12th Sommerzeit
    "The dwarves are taking the book... comparatively seriously." Ludo said. "I doubt they'd take it into their custody, but we've got an ally in them."

He paused. "Or, I do. They don't like you much. They made me swear I wouldn't tell you what they said. Thankfully, none of it was all that new or useful."

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Adelbert, 11th Sommerzeit

"Once the book is safe I'll probably be coming back here myself," Adelbert said. He lowered eyes, looking and sounding tired. "I was thinking of joining the temple."
    “Really?” said Heironymus, with a curious look. “You understand of course that the rules haven’t changed?”

“You’d certainly be welcome. With Raqiyah and Constanza’s people I can’t help but feel a little outnumbered these days. But we can talk of this another time.” He put his withered hand on Adelbert’s shoulder. “This business with the book comes first, hm?”

12th Sommerzeit

Setting out on foot, the nine of them crossed Sieghard’s bridge and struck out south along the Thornwood road. It had been long months since Adelbert had ridden this familiar path – riding it now with his old friends by his side felt more than strange.

By sunset they had reached Painford, the roof of what had once been Beatrix’s tower poking up above the trees. No lights burned in its empty windows – with the enemy driven north, Sforza clearly had no men to spare to garrison such inconsequential outposts.

They received a warm welcome in the village itself, the villagers pestering Ludo for news from the north while Astoria marvelled at the lifelike leaden ‘statue’ of Mayor Drago in the square. Adelbert’s shrine still looked to be in good repair, though there were no signs of life from inside.

Inside Gavril’s hostel the Iron Company men pulled off their boots and set to talking in rapid Tilean, Laughing and joking in the crude way of soldiers everywhere, they ignored the two young villagers who Karolina sent out to bring them food – that was, until the two young villagers stopped dead to stare at Adelbert. Rhadegund and Bertelis certainly didn’t look as if they had been expecting to see him.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ogre in the Playground

11th Sommerzeit

Astoria pondered Elsa’s words, a bit frustrated that so few seemed to take the dangers of such an evil book so seriously. It reminded her far too much of home. Estalia and Tilea were blessedly able to forget the dangers of dark magic in the world with relative ease, surrounded by Myrmidia’s power and so far removed from the bastions of evil that were built in the North or across the sands to the South.

Ludo’s assertion that the Dwarves were taking it a bit more seriously was a bit soothing, however.

”I would imagine that so few people would be willing to take on the responsibility of guarding something so vile and evil.” But so few people seemed to have a sense of responsibility. It was something Astoria would gladly take on – guardianship of the book – though she had never even seen it.

12th Sommerzeit

The village of Painford sported a strange statue, and Astoria paused to look at it closer as they passed into the town.

”Remarkably life-like.” The knight said, muttering to herself softly as she eventually turned to follow her companions into the hostel.

Astoria herself had settled with the others at a table, and was hoping for a cool drink after the day of walking, though she paused to watch the interactions between the two youths and Adelbert curiously.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

”Remarkably life-like.”

Overhearing Astoria's comment, Elsa could not help but smirk.

She was somewhat surprised that none of the villagers mentioned Klammenberg's party right away. The Norscans had likely circled around the town or crossed it under the cover of night to avoid drawing attention. She still questioned the people of Painford about any parties moving south along the road.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gossip 39: (d100)[74]

Edit: I'd rather not spend Fortune unless I have to, as we don't know when we'll run into trouble. Some help here would be appreciated.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-10-14 at 09:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

8. - Top - End - #1208

BlackDragon

Ludo & Adelbert, 11th Sommerzeit

Adelbert expression turned grim for a moment but he simply nodded. "Yes I understand."

With that he shook the older priest's good hand before taking his leave. "Verena watch over you my friend."

12th Sommerzeit

Adelbert spent the brief rest of the trip on the Green Dragon re-reading his books. If there was some clue as to what Klammenburg might be up to he couldn't think of it, though he was willing to bet it would involve the dark arts as much as those muscle brained idiots the scholar was travelling with.

Part of him had wanted to call in on Cesar but there was no time for such business on the journey they were on. He'd have to write him a letter later, detailing everything.

Re-entering Painford was an experience more bitter than sweet; a place haunted in failures and regrets. Here his efforts to stop the war had collapsed, here'd he'd broken with his friends to support what turned out to be the losing side in a war. Here he'd yet again abandoned a life. Adelbert actually found himself willing Bella to go slower just to delay this miserable homecoming.

The worst though was encountering Rhadegund and Bertelis. The possibility had been there in his mind since he let Putbad but he'd been hoping they wouldn't be here somehow. He just didn't have it in him to face yet another failure. Turning his face away he avoided their gaze.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

"There's nothing in the world you could say to hurt them more than ignoring them will." Ludo said to Adelbert in a low voice. "I saw you face down a daemon once."

He stepped away from Adelbert to leave the priest to it, and began circling the bar asking for information on any travellers that might have passed through or been seen in the last few days.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gossip (1d100)[18], vs 59 with a re-roll (1d100)[77]

10. - Top - End - #1210

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Reflecting that it was far easier facing daemons Adelbert turned back to look at his former wards, though he had no idea what to say to them. "Hello Rhadegund, hello Bertelis."

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

Sensing the tension between Adelbert and the youths, Astoria chided herself for her curiosity and fetched herself some wine while trying to make some small talk with the tavern keep.

"Had any strange sorts pass through here?" Astoria asked curiously. "Aside from us, of course."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Charm Test
    (1d100)[77] TN 46

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

Both children stood silent. After a moment, the tension seemed to break. Bertelis ran up to Adelbert and embraced him; Rhadegund just turned away and went back to cleaning the tables.

Meanwhile, the others found it fairly easy to pump the people of Painford for information, as their arrival had already grabbed their attention. Though they had to work their questions in between the tales the locals wanted to hear of the war in the north, most everyone they spoke to was positive they hadn't seen anyone matching Hakon's description, nor anyone from the Raven Hills.

Even asking after Klammenberg drew a blank. "That queer feller who was here in the winter?" said Gavril to Ludo. "No, haven't seen him since. And we see most everyone these days, thanks to the Captain's wall. Only one way in and out of the village, you know?" He shook his head. "If anyone like that passed us by they did it very quiet."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright." Ludo said, thinking. "If that man does come through in the next few days, don't try and stop him. But have someone ride quick to Manaan's Keep with a message for me, or Fraulein Hildebrand, and we'll make it very well worth their time."

Leaving Gavril with a handful of silver to prove his point, Ludo returned to Elsa, Adelbert, and Astoria.

"They've not come through here, but I imagine if anyone can go through the forest round the village, those Norscans can. Or maybe we're beating them. Did Klammenberg have his cart?" This last was addressed to Adelbert.

14. - Top - End - #1214

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert awkwardly patted Bertelis on his head and looked sadly at Rhadegund. <'We better talk,'> he said, in Breton, and gestured with his hand at the crowded room. <'Away from all this.'>

I better talk to Karolina and Garvil too, Adelbert thought to himself, getting to his feet to do just that when Ludo returned with his question about Klammenburg. "I don't think so. I'd certainly have remembered seeing Udolf around."

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

"Shame, I was hoping they'd have to stick to the road."

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

Rhadegund gave a sullen roll of her eyes, but put down the rag she was holding and headed outside.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #1217

BlackDragon

Adelbert

"Luck has never been our ally my friend," Adelbert said, a ghost of a smile touching his face. "It would be inappropriate for her to start now."

Turning to Bertelis he tried to keep up the smile and said: "Go with Rhadegund. I'll be out to talk to you shortly."

Then he walked over to Garvil. "Thank you for looking after them."

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

"Go easy on him," Ludo said quietly to Rhadegund as she passed. "He's been through a lot since he had to leave."

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, they've been no trouble," said Gavril. "Least we could do after you, um... left." He paused. "Are you staying?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't hesitate to move as quickly as you like RossN; no need to break off posts just to wait on NPC responses to pleasantries.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #1220

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert lowered his eyes guiltily. "No... probably not. I have to help chase down Klammenberg and even after that I can't stay. I can't afford to for one thing. I no longer have an income."

Taking a deep breath he walked out into the evening air, starting towards the shrine. "Rhadegund, Bertelis?"

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground

Rhadegund was still walking towards the shuttered shrine when Adelbert called to her. Turning on her heel, she glared back at her former mentor.

"What?" she demanded. "What do you want? Why are you here?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #1222

BlackDragon

Adelbert

No lies, even white ones here, Adelbert told himself. There weren't any easy options available to mitigate the pain.

"I'm chasing down a necromancer and his thugs," he said softly. "I'll be gone in the morning with the others."

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Rhadegund seemed stymied for a moment - it clearly wasn't the answer she had been expecting. After a second or two, she recovered her flow.

"That doesn't answer anything!" she spluttered. "You were gone two months! More! And now you're here you're just... leaving again?" She stared at him, wide-eyed. "Why did you leave us?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-10-20 at 06:47 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #1224

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert felt his cheeks flushing with shame at the teenager's rebuke.

"I couldn't tell you why I was gone, but it wouldn't have been safe for me to stay here, not with the war on. I couldn't bring you or Bertelis with me. It would have been too dangerous for you."

He was silent for a long moment, weighing the risks in his mind before sighing and letting his shoulders slump. She did deserve the truth.

"I was working for the Duke. That day I rode off to warn him."

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

"Makes sense that they'd avoid the road," said Elsa, privately. "They don't know we're after them, so they've little reason to sacrifice stealth for speed. Still, beating them to Manann's Keep would be ideal. We'll have walls to put between us and them."

Not for the first time, she regretted the absence of a good tracker or outdoorsman in their group.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    LCP, just a reminder since this may become relevant in the coming in-game days: Elsa has a Magic Alarm spell in place next to the Book of Nagash.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

"Working for the Duke?" said Rhadegund, louder than Adelbert would have preferred. She seemed just as thrown by this revelation as she had been by the last. "Why? Why did you take us, why did you build... this" - she waved her hand at the shrine behind her - "if you only wanted to burn it down?"

Bertelis tried to interrupt, speaking in the thick Caerfort dialect of Breton that Adelbert struggled at times to understand. Rhadegund shut him up with a short reply, the force of the older girl's words clearly cowing him into silence.

"You left us," she repeated to Adelbert. "Didn't even say you were going. The halfling had to tell us you'd gone. And now you're leaving again. Is that all you do?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #1227

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert closed his eyes and bowed his head, not wanting Rhadegund to see the pain in his expression. Gods, no wonder he had been sick to the stomach at the thought of passing through here. "Yes, I think it must be that. I'm sorry I failed you. I'll arrange for you to return to Caerfort if you want."

He started to turn back towards the hostel, blinking back tears, then stopped. "Rhadegund, Bertelis I know I haven't been fair to you. I don't even know if I'll still be alive in a few days time."
    Last edited by RossN; 2018-10-22 at 07:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

The news that no one had seen Hakon or Klammenburg in town was a small comfort. The assessment of her companions that they’d likely have circumvented the town was a strong possibility, especially if the Norscans were seeking to avoid any real trouble on the way to Manaan’s Keep.

”How many more days before we reach Manaan’s Keep, my Lady?” Astoria asked, curiously. ”We had the advantage of river travel, so perhaps Ranald is with us and we have a couple days on them. One can only hope, I suppose. Do we set out at first light?”

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

"It's about two days from here," answered Elsa. "Maybe a bit less, if we use every hour of daylight... which I intend to do."

She was still reluctant to use Morrslieb to find the Norscans, as doing so might let Klammenberg know that he was being chased and by whom.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ogre in the Playground

"Absolutely." Astoria said, "Hopefully we can get there with enough time to rouse the small garrison that the Capitano left behind."

Astoria only hoped it would be enough in the long run.

Two more days would put her closer to getting her arm out of the sling, but if the Norscan's arrived so soon after, it would be cutting it very close. Astoria didn't particularly relish the idea of facing off against a Necromancer and raging Northman unarmoured with one arm out of commission.