New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown IX

Elsabeth Holt

"Now's close enough," said Elsa tersely. She reached out for Aqshy to strike at the front wagon, hoping for a fire that no one could hope to put out. The Red Wind was strong amidst the fury of battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Just tell me what range you stop at.
    48 yards. With Sharpshooter, the Thorns should have no penalty when aiming, besides the one from the wagons.

Also, I'm not 100% clear from the last post - is Elsa proceeding on foot, or just crouching in the saddle?
    On foot.

Channeling: (d100)[3]
    Casting 12+: (3d10)[8][3][4](15)

Damage:
    (d10+4)[13]
    (d10+4)[11]
    (d10+4)[12]

That is some serious damage!

"Make a hole!" she yelled at the shieldbearers. As soon as she had a clear shot, she hurled a white-hot fireball that briefly outshone the rising sun. "Form up!" she shouted before the fiery projectile had even hit its target. Many crossbow bolts would now be coming their way... as soon as the enemy soldiers regained their composure.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-04-28 at 11:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Ludo & Sieghard

Either the defenders hadn't been ready, or the covering fire from Ingwald's squad had them ducking - either way, no shots came Elsa's way in the brief window when the shields moved aside. The closest wagon was engulfed in flames as the fireball struck, men leaping off the back in panic to escape the sudden blaze. That was not going to be easy to put out.

Ludo meanwhile had found his tree, and was busy climbing. It wasn't a tall tree, but this wasn't tall country - from up in its stunted crown he could see the Rock of Savonne rising to the south. He saw no sign of the scouts; for the time being it seemed like the defenders of the caravan were on their own.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

For now, Ludo thought, they can't ignore this much smoke forever.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Again!" Sieghard ordered. "Reload! Take aim!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard does the same.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-04-29 at 09:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa moved her group closer to the enemy to keep them within range. She spoke quickly to the two shieldbearers who had moved out of her way earlier, poking at their backs with her staff to keep them from having to turn around:

"When I shout really loud, you two will make a gap again. I won't be in it." Then, to another pair: "After that I'll count to three, and I'll have you two spread out. I'll cast through that gap."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spending the whole round talking and making sure the ploy is understood. This may save time in later rounds if the battle doesn't end as quickly as we hope.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-05-01 at 06:26 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Ludo & Sieghard

Nat's men nodded - though one of them swore and jumped back as a crossbow bolt thudded into his shield. The wagon up ahead was burning fiercely enough for Elsa to feel the heat on her face; she could hear the sounds of distressed animals and shouting men behind it. The plan seemed to be working.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Fire!" Sieghard barked.

"Had enough yet?" He shouted to the caravan, "Or do we have to turn the whole thing into a pyre?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone is trying to put out the fire, they're the priority target.

(1d100)[46] vs 51 - Whatever defense the wagons offer
    (1d10+4)[14] Damage

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

"Had enough yet?" He shouted to the caravan, "Or do we have to turn the whole thing into a pyre?"
    As if we're not going to do that anyway, thought Elsa.

"Make a gap!" she roared at the first pair of soldiers.

When they stepped apart from each other, a little to her left, she paused for a few heartbeats; long enough, she hoped, for the enemy defenders to aim their crossbows at the gap. She used that short time to get a good grasp on the Red Wind.

"And... now!" she commanded the two soldiers directly in front of her.

Once the way was clear, she unleashed a spell on another of the wagons, then ordered the men to close both gaps.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to roll a Command test for Elsa if you feel the ploy requires it in order to be performed smoothly.

Channeling: (d100)[56]
    Firebolt 6+: (2d10)[5][5](10)
    Damage: (d10+5)[13]

Unfortunately I can't see dice rolls on mobile. Also, I kinda suck at using tablets, so my posting may be minimal both in length and frequency for the duration of my trip.

Lisbon is awesome, by the way.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-05-02 at 02:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard & Ludo

A single hurried shot whistled through the decoy gap Elsa had opened, sailing harmlessly into empty air. As she cast her spell through the second gap, a sulphurous burst of flame lashed back from her outstretched hand, its fierce heat licking her face and singeing her clothes. Her hand had cramped into the posture she had used to cast the firebolt, frozen into a contorted claw by the energy that had coursed through it. As she watched, a glimmer of Aqshy wriggled over the palm of the affected hand, and her thumbnail crumbled away into black ash.

The spell had done its work, regardless of the side-effects - a second wagon was now burning, though less fiercely than the first. The animal noises from inside the wagon fort were growing louder. Snapping off a shot that thudded into a solid wooden siding, Sieghard watched as one of the wagons at the back began to slowly shift, the defenders hauling it to one side.

The gap that opened in the defensive square was like the breaking of a dam. A stampede of panicked draft animals poured out, pushing and crushing each other in their frenzy to get away from the fires. A horse fell with a broken leg and was trampled by wild-eyed oxen, the escapees scattering every which way across the open plain east of the road.

No men ran with them. More of the wagons were moving, pushed a few feet one way or the other to get some clearance from the two that were burning. Elsa could hear Marat shouting, still exhorting his men to hold. They clearly hadn't lost their spirit just yet.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa can't move the fingers on her right hand for (1d10)[2] minutes.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-05-02 at 10:16 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa stared at her frozen hand in bemusement. Odd, but not the most alarming magical backlash she had experienced so far. One of her fingertips chafed painfully against the inside of her glove; she suspected she had split or even lost a nail. No way to remove the glove to check.

She exhaled in mild exasperation when the defenders refused to surrender. They had already lost their draft animals; they were not getting any of that food to Savonne, unless they were willing to carry it on their own backs. If Sieghard was smart, he would understand there was no point in risking any more of his men, since the caravan was already stopped. All they had to do was pull back and keep an eye on the enemy from afar, just to give them time to come to terms with their defeat without the threat of immediate death hanging over their heads.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Still set on playing this game, eh?

"We're falling back a bit," Sieghard said. "The wagons aren't going anywhere. We'll keep an eye on them and we won't go far, but no sense in letting them keep shooting at us or wasting our own shots."

Once he was satisfied with the increased distance between them and the wagons, he picked one of his crossbowmen to serve as a runner. "Circle around west and fetch Hildebrand's group. Move quickly and stay well out of range of the wagons."

"Stubborn lot, aren't they? I had hoped they'd give it up by now..." Sieghard said once Elsa had arrived. "I'm still against charging the wagons and we've already burned more than I'dve liked... If we told them we were going to set fire to everything inside the wagons at once, do you think you could trick them into believing it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard will fall back to just out of long range. He'll keep an eye on the wagons and if they attempt to put out the fires or otherwise expose themselves, he'll advance back to his previous position and fire off another volley.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-05-03 at 06:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa & Ludo

As soon as the Thorns began to fall back, a few brave souls appeared with blankets and tarpaulins to try to smother the burning wagons. Ingwald's squad had to advance and trade two or three more volleys before it was established that the attackers weren't going to take their eye off the blaze.

By the time Elsa's group had joined back up with Sieghard, the fire in the field had largely burned itself out, though a great curtain of smoke still drifted from the smouldering stubble. The wagon she had struck first was still ablaze, sagging at the back where one axle had burnt and broken. The second was just beginning to reach the same intensity, the flames spreading slowly but steadily over its heavy frame.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

"Stubborn lot, aren't they? I had hoped they'd give it up by now..." Sieghard said once Elsa had arrived. "I'm still against charging the wagons and we've already burned more than I'dve liked... If we told them we were going to set fire to everything inside the wagons at once, do you think you could trick them into believing it?"

Elsa seemed skeptical. "I think they know we'd have done it already if we could. The best thing we can do now is let them consider their prospects with cooler heads. They can go back the way they came from, or they can load themselves like mules and try to go through us on foot."

She could not fault them for trying to fight back while crossbow bolts and magical fire were raining down on them. Great courage was often born of desperation. But once things quieted down, even the bravest of men sometimes lost their nerve. They only had to pause long enough to realize that, yes, they could get away with their lives... if they only swallowed their pride.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"I hate to say it but releasing those animals was nearly as good as getting them to Savonne." Ludo said, trotting up from the tree. "There must be a few dozen out there waiting for some lucky peasant to pick up."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard seemed unconcerned. "If there are any peasants who haven't already fled, it'll be just as easy to take the animals from them than to track them down on our own. And whether they believe it or not, we don't have a lot of choices. Either they surrender or flee or we keep burning them out... Unless one of you has a better idea."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

"Lets set fire to the other carts and go then." Ludo said. "They can hardly stop us, can they?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard grumbled something about burning good loot, then called his runner over again. "Tell Norten I want the halberdiers moved northwest of the caravan."

"We'll make the south road more open to them and march around the east. Put on a show for them... They don't know what you can do, just make it look like something big is coming. If they're smart enough to flee, that'll be the end of it. If not, do what you have to do. I'd rather hit the men inside than burn more of the wagons if that's possible though..."

He waited until his messenger had reached Norten and then approached the caravan (while still keeping enough distance to not be an easy shot). "Getting pretty warm in there, I reckon!" Sieghard taunted. "You've made your stand, but I'm growing impatient! You have a minute - If you still haven't surrendered by then, the rest of the wagons burn with you inside them!"

Spoiler
    Show
    If Elsa does think she can make them sweat a bit, most of her more basic spells only take a half action, so we should be able stay out of crossbow range. If they still won't budge, I can't think of any ways to dislodge them other than fire or sending men in (and I want to avoid that if possible due to the higher risk of casualties involved). It may be possible to hit some of them through the gap they made for the animals when they fled (or possibly the gaps they made to stop the fire from spreading). Either way, I think it's time to finish this.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard & Ludo

As soon as the messenger had exchanged a few words with Norten, the halberdiers began to shuffle off the road, circling up to the west. The defenders watched them from the caravan, heads low behind their wooden walls.

"You've made your stand, but I'm growing impatient! You have a minute - If you still haven't surrendered by then, the rest of the wagons burn with you inside them!"
    Clambering up behind one of the intact wagons, a sooty-looking Marat cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted back:

"You saved us the trouble of lighting a campfire! Go on, send your witch again!" He took a deep breath, the better to project. "We've still got our bows, and we only have to get lucky once!"
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-05-05 at 05:25 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard spat to show what he thought of their luck. "Even Jager knew when he was beat! We'll see if Alvarr's farmboys burn as good as his farmland!" he shouted back before turning away.

"Ready when you are," he muttered to Elsa.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-05-05 at 11:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"You haven't been lucky so far!" Ludo called back. "We're after the wagons, not you. Abandon them and you can still be fighting tomorrow. Or see how long your luck holds out. You only need to be lucky once... we don't need luck at all. We're the ones with the wizard."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, might as well make a stab at a charm test. I'll make it Charm if I can, but this could equally be Fel or Fel-Based Intimidate I suppose.

(1d100)[15] vs 67 Charm/57 Fel, 37 Intimidate.

I shan't spend a re-roll because I suspect this is more or less an autofail.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

"Ready when you are," he muttered to Elsa.
    Elsa nodded. "Let's finish this."

Every passing minute she felt less and less inclined to spare any of the defenders. So much time was being wasted by the unexpected resistance. Say what you will about Alvarr, but he knew where to find the most stubborn sons of whores.

With her hand that could still move, she distributed her balls of sulphur to the three Thorns she knew as the best shots. "Better use them all at the same time, each on a different wagon. Makes it harder to put out the fires."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    LCP, what did you roll for duration of the paralyzed hand thing? Can't see rolls on mobile.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-05-06 at 05:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard & Ludo

The Thorns took the crumbling chunks of brimstone gingerly, wary of anything a wizard might give them. At Elsa's direction, they bound each one to the head of a quarrel with tightly-wound strips of cloth

Nat had his shield-bearers together, waiting for the order. "We're ready when you are," he said, looking to Sieghard and Elsa.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh for Sigmar's sake, it's just sulphur," said Elsa, rolling her eyes at the Thorns' reluctance. Just don't forget to ignite it before you shoot. Or have the man next to you do it while you aim.

She gave each of them three matches.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard pointed conspicuously to one of the wagons "The three of you fire on the wagon two to the left of that one," he told them, "Light the quarrel before we advance."

Spoiler
    Show
    We're going on Elsa's mark. I still think we should use Sounds or one of her light spells to make it look like Elsa is preparing a big spell before we actually move into firing range. It's as much about what they think we can do as it is what we can actually do.

Regardless, I'll roll another aimed shot from Sieghard now. If he can hit one of the men through the gap the draft animals escaped through, that's where he aims.
    (1d100)[75] vs 51 before wagon modifiers.
    [/roll]1d10+4[/roll] Damage

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"Ortwin, you light them." Ludo said. "You know better than the rest of us how not to make them go off boom."

"Not that they would! That was a joke!" he added hurriedly, in response to the thorn's worried looks.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa knew she could not attempt the ploy of the fake gap forever before the enemy got wise, so she decided not to use it this time, relying instead on the guards being busy weathering the next hail of crossbow bolts from the Thorns.

As the enemy leader had said, they only had to be lucky once.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll post my combat actions right away because it may be my last chance before I'm in transit and with unreliable Internet access. I'll be home late on the 9th.

Channeling: (d100)[54]
    Casting Fireball 12+ at the wagons: (3d10)[1][2][3](6)

Damage (separate target for each):
    (d10+4)[7]
    (d10+4)[13]
    (d10+4)[12]

Reminder that I can't see my rolls on mobile.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-05-08 at 04:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa & Ludo

Nat pushed the shield wall forwards again, the Thorns behind keeping a steady pressure on the defenders with their crossbows. Ortwin and the other two Thorns who had been entrusted with the sulphur quarrels followed close behind the shields, cradling their weapons to their chests.

At Elsa's signal, the shields parted. Drawing the Red Wind to herself again, she tried to send another hail of fireballs towards the enemy, but the spell guttered and died in her grip. Cursing her still numb hand, she was slow to withdraw back into cover. A speeding crossbow bolt from the defenders grazed her hip, drawing blood.

Without any particular rhythm or timing, other gaps in the shield wall opened up, the Thorns snapping off their flaming quarrels as quickly as they could. With targets so large, they could scarcely miss - but at the same time the flames of the crossbow bolts were small, and the timbers of the wagons were thick. They would have to burn for some time to have any chance of reproducing Elsa's earlier success.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Again!" Sieghard snarled, "Take out their crossbows!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I realized I had gotten my WS and BS confused and was rolling against the wrong number. I don't think it would've affected anything though.

Aimed shot again, at the enemy crossbowman who hit Elsa specifically.
    (1d100)[84] vs 59 before wagon modifiers.
    (1d10+4)[11] Damage

Rerolled OOC to 13 to hit and 12 damage.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-05-08 at 11:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa glanced briefly at the scratch along her hip. I should probably take that as a warning, she thought. But when Sieghard pressed the attack, she decided to do the same. If the defenders had a moment's respite, it would not be long before they started putting out the fires set by the flaming bolts.

As soon as her spell left her fingers, she dived to the ground to present a smaller target.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's finish this. This situation has lasted over a month. And yes, I realize it's our fault for dithering a lot at the start, but at this rate we'll never get to fighting Nahorek!

Channeling: (d100)[41]
    Fireball 12+: (3d10)[10][7][3](20)

Damage, separate targets:
    (d10+4)[13]
    (d10+4)[7]
    (d10+4)[5]

Meh. No Tzeetch's Curse at least.

Am I allowed to dive as a free action, provided I need to use a half action to stand up next round?
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-05-10 at 08:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

As the second attack had begun again in earnest, Ludo had returned to his tree, peering out to look out for any approaching attackers, eyes watering from the smoke.