New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Race/Template/Feat Combination

Reading another thread reminded me of a build I once thought about but wasn't sure if it was legal.

So here's what I got: frostblood orc as race, ranger 3/fighter 1 as class, applying the dragonborn template at level 3.
    I'd like to take the feats Brutal throw, Two-weapon fighting, +1 feat at level 1. Rapid shot as fighting style for Ranger 2 and Swarm of Arrows for the Fighter feat [targetteer]. My level 3 replacement feat for Endurance will be any feat that has Endurance as a requirement. I believe so far it's fully legal.

At level 3 I'd like to apply the dragonborn template and I'm hoping to be able to do this:
    1. Swap the Track feat for Dragon Tail.
    2. Lose Endurance feat and with that the req. for the 3rd level replacement feat, which then needs to be repicked - picking Prehensible Tail.
    3. Two-Weapon Fighting becomes Multi-Weapon Fighting as per the special entry.

Is it possible?

A bonus question: the dragonborn template feat replacement doesn't include the strict rules that retraining in PH2 does. Does it allow you to chain feats, then replace them all at once as a higher level? Or would the wording "in its place" pretty much cover what the rules in PH2 say?
    Last edited by Zarvistic; 2018-03-26 at 02:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Race/Template/Feat Combination

• Starting with a Frostblood Orc from Dragon Magic you pick up Endurance as a bonus feat.
    • When you would pick up Endurance from the Ranger class later, the rules for Frostblood Orc state that you can select any other feat for which you qualify.
    • The rules relating to becoming Dragonborn cause you to lose Endurance as a bonus feat from your race. It also causes you to lose the part where it states the following: "If a frostblood orc would later gain Endurance as a bonus feat, he can select any other feat for which he qualifies."

So you no longer have the ability to replace Endurance that you get from Ranger with something else, so a DM would be well within his rights to insist you keep the Endurance and lose the replacement feat instead. A more open minded DM might allow that the selection was already made and was valid at the time, but I'd make sure how the DM is going to rule on this before attempting it.

The only Swarm of Arrows feat of which I know is an Epic feat and you wouldn't qualify until over 20th level. Maybe I'm missing something here? I couldn't find the issue of Dragon Magazine that has the Targetteer in it.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Race/Template/Feat Combination

Quote Originally Posted by Inza View Post
    Reading another thread reminded me of a build I once thought about but wasn't sure if it was legal.

So here's what I got: frostblood orc as race, ranger 3/fighter 1 as class, applying the dragonborn template at level 3.
    I'd like to take the feats Brutal throw, Two-weapon fighting, +1 feat at level 1. Rapid shot as fighting style for Ranger 2 and Swarm of Arrows for the Fighter feat [targetteer]. My level 3 replacement feat for Endurance will be any feat that has Endurance as a requirement. I believe so far it's fully legal.

At level 3 I'd like to apply the dragonborn template and I'm hoping to be able to do this:
    1. Swap the Track feat for Dragon Tail.
    2. Lose Endurance feat and with that the req. for the 3rd level replacement feat, which then needs to be repicked - picking Prehensible Tail.
    3. Two-Weapon Fighting becomes Multi-Weapon Fighting as per the special entry.

Is it possible?
    Looks fine to me, as long as you interpret Multiweapon Fighting as working in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Inza View Post
    A bonus question: the dragonborn template feat replacement doesn't include the strict rules that retraining in PH2 does. Does it allow you to chain feats, then replace them all at once as a higher level? Or would the wording "in its place" pretty much cover what the rules in PH2 say?
    You have to qualify for the feat at your current level. An elf who takes Weapon Focus (longsword) at 3rd level, becomes a dragonborn at 6th level, and loses longsword proficiency (and therefore the prerequisite for the feat) would be able to replace her Weapon Focus with Leadership, because she qualifies for Leadership now. Make sense?