New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIII: Screaming, Ranting and Egregious Violence

I'm now curious what Agatha is doing in that panel. The "watch" could easily be one of her miniature clanks that has the Spark. Is she demonstrating how she makes them to the amazement of the other sparks?

2. - Top - End - #692
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

IIRC, the sparks in Castle (don't remember the names, Diaz and the other ones) were calling the clanks with spark abominations ("spitting in the name of the creator" and such).

So my guess would be that Sparks are generally against their creations having a spark (although, the sparks in Castle are a bit.. loony), which would put the reaction of other Sparks to what Agatha is doing to a category different then amazement.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dukkai View Post
    IIRC, the sparks in Castle (don't remember the names, Diaz and the other ones) were calling the clanks with spark abominations ("spitting in the name of the creator" and such).

So my guess would be that Sparks are generally against their creations having a spark (although, the sparks in Castle are a bit.. loony), which would put the reaction of other Sparks to what Agatha is doing to a category different then amazement.
    I can't tell if calling another Spark's work an abomination is sheer hypocrisy or absolute praise.

That said, do we even know if Agatha understands that she's instilling the Spark in her creations? We, as the audience, got that from Tarvek and Gil riffing off each other while in the presence of rival Dingbot Primes, but I don't think we've ever had them discuss it with her - or the suggestion that the topic has been broached.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I can't tell if calling another Spark's work an abomination is sheer hypocrisy or absolute praise.
    I think this is an incredibly salient point. Most sparks revel in the thought of overturning the natural order when they are in the madness place, so calling something an "abomination" isn't really a very good insult. Neither is proclaiming that something is "spitting in the eye of the creator".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think this is an incredibly salient point. Most sparks revel in the thought of overturning the natural order when they are in the madness place, so calling something an "abomination" isn't really a very good insult. Neither is proclaiming that something is "spitting in the eye of the creator".
    In the particular case of Agatha creating Sparky clanks, I think it's probably an honest reaction of disgust and/or fear, because Sparky clanks are a direct attack on their egos. If you can just build a Spark, then being a Spark isn't special any more. (And it doesn't even require a special lab or an enormous lightning bolt or any of the dramatic trappings you're supposed to have when you're destroying those pitiful misconceptions lesser beings call 'Laws of Nature'! Agatha just makes these things with bits of junk! It's not right..)

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    In the particular case of Agatha creating Sparky clanks, I think it's probably an honest reaction of disgust and/or fear, because Sparky clanks are a direct attack on their egos. If you can just build a Spark, then being a Spark isn't special any more. (And it doesn't even require a special lab or an enormous lightning bolt or any of the dramatic trappings you're supposed to have when you're destroying those pitiful misconceptions lesser beings call 'Laws of Nature'! Agatha just makes these things with bits of junk! It's not right..)
    "I have made a firebreathing horse with two mouths and a detachable head!" <Thumbs up> "That's a fine abomination of science, that is!"

"I have made a sentient cat construct that is incredibly smart and will serve as the general for my invincible army of sentient bears constructs!" <Thumbs up> "Now that's spitting on the name of the creator, good work!"

"I've made a little stopwatch clank that carries the Spark!" <Affronted gasp> [Southpark] "Them clanks took our jobs!" [/Southpark]
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-06-19 at 02:25 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

That said, do we even know if Agatha understands that she's instilling the Spark in her creations? We, as the audience, got that from Tarvek and Gil riffing off each other while in the presence of rival Dingbot Primes, but I don't think we've ever had them discuss it with her - or the suggestion that the topic has been broached.
    I dont think that its something done intentionally, or for that matter directly obvious.
    Gil realised it because he had the chance to watch Agatha work on them. And he is by nature pretty analytic.
    But i doubt most other would realise it
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #698
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Just re-reading that, I notice the unicorn guy said "a couple thousand years". A British person would have said "a couple of thousand years".
    Given that Lord Womble is probably a construct (though both the Geisterdamen and the denizens beneath Paris lend credence to the GGverse having species aside from humans present, unless ancient Sparks are to blame), one could forgive him for not having the upper-class vowels we associate with Englishmen. Womble himself also may or may not be Welsh (or whatever the equivalent is in this comic) rather than English, given that the national animal of Wales is a unicorn, and because it'd be a fun and stealthy reference.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    Given that Lord Womble is probably a construct (though both the Geisterdamen and the denizens beneath Paris lend credence to the GGverse having species aside from humans present, unless ancient Sparks are to blame), one could forgive him for not having the upper-class vowels we associate with Englishmen. Womble himself also may or may not be Welsh (or whatever the equivalent is in this comic) rather than English, given that the national animal of Wales is a unicorn, and because it'd be a fun and stealthy reference.
    It's more likely a reference to "the Lion and the Unicorn" as symbols of England as a whole, since along with Womble there was a non-humanoid lion in Albia's garden.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Well, whoever called 'knockoff English Jaegerdraught' as Bunstable's origin was right on the money.

11. - Top - End - #701

BlueWizardGirl

Attempt to make the Jaegerdraught. Called it!

Also:

"Is it safe?"

"Great heavens, of course not! The very idea!"

Ah, sparks. Gotta love 'em--from a safe distance.

Although, I wonder if anyone with Agatha knows how to make it, Jaegers, Der Kestle, there are a few possibilities.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Although, I wonder if anyone with Agatha knows how to make it, Jaegers, Der Kestle, there are a few possibilities.
    Castle Heterodyne proper would probably know (or at least know where in its the libraries and labs to look), but the sub-unit put into the clank that's with her party probably doesn't.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ah, sparks. Gotta love 'em--from a safe distance.
    And what do you think is a "safe distance"?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #704
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Interesting that he immediately points out the reasons I didn't think it was a Jaegerdraught--the fact it isn't permanent. I wonder if the missing ingredient in the mix is Dyne water? If it is, there's no way Agatha could make a proper draught for Bunstable even if she knew how.

15. - Top - End - #705

DwarfClericGuy

Doesn't it require the Dyne water? So knowing wouldn't solve the immediate problem anyway. Although knowing more would probably make understanding/fixing his condition easier.

16. - Top - End - #706

Beholder

Congrats to those who guessed it! Though it was rather obvious.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The next three universes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Doesn't it require the Dyne water? So knowing wouldn't solve the immediate problem anyway. Although knowing more would probably make understanding/fixing his condition easier.
    Yeah, the Dyne Water is a key component in the Draught. While I assume Kestlebot knows how to make it, (if it isn't an automated process) I am not sure if it will have the desired end result.

17. - Top - End - #707

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    Womble himself also may or may not be Welsh (or whatever the equivalent is in this comic) rather than English, given that the national animal of Wales is a unicorn, and because it'd be a fun and stealthy reference.
    Pretty sure that's Scotland you're thinking of. Wales has a dragon (as depicted on the national flag, below).

Spoiler: Welsh flag
    Show

18. - Top - End - #708
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

also, I think that the latest comic, in the way that it is written has a surprise in the next update where it will appear that the drink is "spiked" and Agatha is either going to have to solve the mystery alone as Bunstable will be incapacitated or will need to reinvent Jäegerdraught in order to save him.

19. - Top - End - #709

SamuraiGuy

I always thought all the Jagers were all decades old, but this raises the possibility of young Jagers. Biochemistry is not Agatha's main emphasis, but she might be able to get some help from Tarvek and Gil.

Also, is it possible that someone who is REALLY good at biochemistry, and not very nice, a person sometimes known as Tweedle, might be able to concoct a un-jagerdraught, and turn them all back into mortals?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

20. - Top - End - #710

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I always thought all the Jagers were all decades old, but this raises the possibility of young Jagers. Biochemistry is not Agatha's main emphasis, but she might be able to get some help from Tarvek and Gil.

Also, is it possible that someone who is REALLY good at biochemistry, and not very nice, a person sometimes known as Tweedle, might be able to concoct a un-jagerdraught, and turn them all back into mortals?
    Possibly, but he seems to simply kill them when he captures them so he probably hasn't studied their biochemistry enough to do so.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

The Heterodyne Boys didn't like like Jaegers, so it's unlikely that there's been any new Jaegers since they took over. On the other hand, Agatha has a fondness for Jaegers and a number of loyal minions that could/might want to benefit from the upgrade - so new Jaeger could be created in the future.

I'm still curious on one thing, though: what happened to Bill and Barry that broke them so bad? They come from a long line of fine, upstanding Heterodynes, and then these turn out to be... heroes... for no explicable reason. Was it a fault in their upbringing? Some traumatic experience?
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still curious on one thing, though: what happened to Bill and Barry that broke them so bad? They come from a long line of fine, upstanding Heterodynes, and then these turn out to be... heroes... for no explicable reason. Was it a fault in their upbringing? Some traumatic experience?
    Apparently it was the influence of their mother, who even went as far as to kill the reigning Heterodyne (to protect her sons, but still...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

23. - Top - End - #713

PirateCaptain

If memory serves, their mother was a concubine of the previous Lord Heterodyne who poisoned him when they were still babies and raised them herself. Nurture triumphed over nature.

24. - Top - End - #714

Their mother kept them well away from the castle and Mechanicsburg itself for much of their childhood. And ultimately murdered their father because he was going to kill them for not being actual raving maniacs. She's a saint now.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

The Heterodyne Boys didn't like like Jaegers, so it's unlikely that there's been any new Jaegers since they took over. On the other hand, Agatha has a fondness for Jaegers and a number of loyal minions that could/might want to benefit from the upgrade - so new Jaeger could be created in the future.
    Not unless and until Agatha revises the Jagerdraught. Drinking it in its current form can kill the imbiber; Agatha's not going to kill any of her loyal servants, no matter how much they may want to become Jagers.

26. - Top - End - #716

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    The next three universes away.
    Out of range of a long gun. Mako was not far enough away. Tenzy threw some people far enough.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Out of range of a long gun. Mako was not far enough away. Tenzy threw some people far enough.
    I'm fairly certain you have your universes crossed. Kevyn Foxworthy might be a mad scientist, but I am fairly certain that he is not a spark. He doesn't get monomaniacal enough.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Not unless and until Agatha revises the Jagerdraught. Drinking it in its current form can kill the imbiber; Agatha's not going to kill any of her loyal servants, no matter how much they may want to become Jagers.
    This is very true. Agatha takes after her uncle and father to a very large extent.

As for why the old Heterodynes, THIS is one of the reasons they turned out the way they were.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

29. - Top - End - #719

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Most sparks revel in the thought of overturning the natural order when they are in the madness place, so calling something an "abomination" isn't really a very good insult.
    Particularly since they apparently have whole labs dedicated to nothing but "Abominations of Science."

30. - Top - End - #720

Beholder

So far my list of murder suspects includes;

1. Dr. Hadrian Rakethorn - His alibi is all wet (thanks to whoever pointed this out previously).

2. Dr. Haggard - By his own admission he worked closely with the victim and has the potential to become "decidedly psychotic"

Of course, I wouldn't doubt if it turns out every madder here had a stab at the good ole doctor. Much like the famous "Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie
    Last edited by xroads; 2018-06-20 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling.