New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Masks: Dragon City IC

Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Ai bustles about her extremely cluttered ship (or does something as close to bustling as a person who is floating six inches off the ground can do), clearing a path through the junk and making room for her friends to sit on the long, low benches that she's added to the ship's wall. She picks up a mis-matched pile of clothes from the control console and dumps them onto the floor, then powers her ship up. It makes a soft, pleasant purr as it comes to life.

At Azuma's comment, Ai stops and frowns at her. "You got shot," she says bluntly, pointing at Azuma's bandaged shoulder. "Humans don't do well when they get shot. I don't think you should do any more hero things today."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Azuma visibly deflates a bit at Ai's bluntness, her enthusiasm faltering in the face of the alien's pragmatism. She gives her an awkward nod, "I... I guess you're right..." She turns to Sly instead, giving him a hopeful smile, "But we can still look around, right..?"

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Ai has a point. They're now shorthanded and one of them is hurt.

"I assume there's equipment on board that can monitor police and rescue frequencies? Maybe we should listen in for a bit, see if there's still anything worth checking out. But it would have to be awfully important..."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hannah nodded wordlessly when White Tiger asked how she was after that moment of weakness. She had recovered as far she could at this point, still ashamed however that she let herself sink so low. It hadn't even been her first failure, during her training here in the temple she had failed many times. But there had been something different this time. And of course her Shifu knew it too and inquired about it.

Hannah didn't answer right away and instead turned to the window looking outside. Through the curtain of rain the lights of Bandar Nagar's skyline where hard to make out, but that wasn't the image in Hannah's mind, it was that of the vision she had during the fight. "When I tried to quell the fire I...had a vision. A city, I think Bandar Naga, in darkness, corrupted flames consuming it, destroying people's hopes and plunging civilization into an age of darkness." Hannah took a deep breath and then continued, "I don't know what it means, but it scares me. What if it was a vision of my future?"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

@VG: "It means everything, child. And yet," Shifu pauses to look at you, "it means nothing." She smiles another one of her infuriatingly bland smiles, a pale imitation of real emotion. "I have always warned you that the fire inside of you is dangerous. This may be a portent of where your unbridled emotion will take you."

"Or," she says, joining you looking out over the city, "your choices to avoid this future may lead you to it. I cannot tell you what path you must take. You must use your own judgement, your own discernment. Do not let others influence your decisions." She places a hand on your shoulder, giving it a squeeze, a surprising display of emotion on her part. "Go, rejoin your team. One of them has the information you need to fight this foe. Draw them together, make them a group that will follow your lead."

She lets her hand fall, looking at you with a steely expression. "Make them your followers, prevent them from falling away to follow others. Control them, rather than letting them control you."

6. - Top - End - #66

BlueWizardGirl

Hannah only nodded in response to what White Tiger had said to her. She did believe in her and had faith in her, but some of the things she said, Hannah just didn't agree with. She didn't want to control anyone, lead them? Yes, but not making them her followers. That sounded ominously religious to her, as if they should worship her. Still she said nothing and instead just bowed before her Shifu in respect as she turned around to the portal that would take her back to the city. In one point White Tiger was right, sitting up here on the mountain temple moping wouldn't do her or her team any good.

Then she stopped and turned to her Shifu, biting her lip and cursing herself because she had almost forgotten. She bowed once more before speaking, "About my team, one of them, Azuma wishes to learn, to become better. She humbly asks if she may come and train under your guidance."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Ai blinks very rapidly at Deadboy. (She has seen on movies that blinking is a way that humans show confusion. Blinking more means more confusion, right?)

"Why would I want to listen in on the police?" she asks. "I suppose if I knew where they were at all times I could avoid them more efficiently, but just looking seems to work well enough for now. I could make something that would let us all listen in on all the police radios, but it might take some time."

Ai considers again. It would take her a while to rig up that type of device on her own with what she has on hand in her ship, but all her human friends carry devices that broadcast and receive over a radio frequency link in their pockets. They tend to be rather attached to them, though.

"Unless you all let me take apart your cell phones. Then I could do it in seconds. But you won't be able to use the cell phones anymore."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

@VG: Shifu raises a questioning eyebrow in your direction, then nods to herself, before replying with a typically opaque platitude. "Just as you must not let others influence you, so you must not let your own passions sway you from the truth."

Turning away, she begins to slowly walk back into the temple. "But," she delivers her parting remark over her shoulder, clearly thinking about other things, "if she is worthy, then she will of course be accepted. Tell her to prove herself a hero, and then I will train her, just as I have trained you."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Azuma hesitates at Ai's suggestion, an apologetic expression falling across her face. "I... Can't afford a new phone to replace my current one. And Dad would kill me if he knew why I was asking for a new one."

She feels a sinking in her stomach as her mind takes the train of thought to its conclusion, "Oh man... Dad's gonna kill me when I get home..." She gives Ai a strained smile, "But... If it's already been on the news... I think I should go home sooner rather than later, right..?"

Show

10. - Top - End - #70

BlueWizardGirl

Hannah nodded, bowed once more and then went to leave. That went about as well as she expected. She wondered what Azuma would think of that and she started to wonder if it really was the best idea if Azuma trained with White Tiger. At first Hannah found the idea awesome, herself and Azuma training side by side up here in the temple. Now she wasn't so sure anymore if Azuma could deal with the Tiger or the other way around. Also how could Azuma "prove herself to be a hero"? Should she show Azuma the secret path and let her climb Henshan mountain to attempt the Trials of Fire? White Tiger certainly couldn't turn her away after that and if she understood it right the Vermilion Bird might even grand her the gift of fire then. She had to think on that.

She stepped through the portal again, reappearing in the Golden Sparrow. With a thought she called Little Flame to her and the spirit immediately appeared on her shoulder. A moment later the fiery little spirit hurried away, carrying a message to Azuma, telling her they should meet at her father's Dojo. She wanted to talk to Azuma about this in person. Then Hannah left the Sparrow and made her way there.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sly, who has been quiet all this time and staring out of a window, turns and says to Azuma: "Well, you won't be able to hide it from your dad if it is on the news. Besides, you don't really have a ton of other places to go besides home."
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Azuma sags a little as Sly confirms her line of thought, nodding her agreement with him. "Yeah, I think you're right. And, who knows, maybe- Oh! Hello!"

Azuma blinked in surprise as Little Flame materialised in front of her, the spirit dancing in the air in front of her for a moment as it passed its message to her. Azuma's mood lifted as she replied "Yeah! Yeah, ok! Tell her I'm on my way!" Turning to look at Ai with a grin, she asked "Hey, can you take me to VG's dojo? I can give you directions."

Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Zahid can't believe that a vehicle this advanced lacks what should be basic communications systems. He is about to speak up until he realizes what Ai is probably up to...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

"I...suppose I could do that, if you tell me where it is." Ai says. "As long as you aren't planning on fighting anyone else."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Azuma grins and nods her agreement, "I swear I won't! Scout's honour!"

Pulling out her phone, she quickly brings up a map of the city. All but jogging over to Ai, she turns the screen so that the alien girl can see it. "It's just here, a few streets north of the market..?"

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

@Y'all: The ship is hardly subtle, attracting immediate attention as it hovers next to Azuma's father's building. You are, once again, being photographed, and also glared at, by passers by. It doesn't really fit in any of the carparks, and the overhang is pushing people off the pavement. Someone bangs on the side of the hull, shouting something inaudible but impolite.

The Dojo is on the seventh floor of the building in front of you, a faintly grungy apartment building shared by three legal firms, your destination, and, apparently, some government office. The doors, wood and glass with worn fake bronze handles, see a steady stream of users. Most are here for the dojo, either to drop their children off, or to take their own classes. You see a little boy turn and point at your ship as it hovers outside, only to be inexorably dragged along by his harried mother. He grins and gives you a half wave, then is swallowed up by the building.

Occasionally a figure in suit and tie cuts through the crowd, looking rather out of place among the yoga pants and Under-Armour tees. One of them glares at you, then stalks to his Audi, which is parked in front of your vehicle. The presence of such lawyers reminds you of the documents that Sly is still holding, a sheaf of papers in a manila folder, embossed with the logo of the Bandar Naga Meta-Human Affairs Office. What do you do?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, just to confirm that I understand everyone's intentions correctly:

Ai is taking Azuma to meet VG at the dojo where Azuma trains, which is owned by her father? Zahid is going to tag along and have a look around, and presumably all others are going to look at the mysterious files™.

I hope no-one minds me moving y'all on a little, I just don't want the game to stall, so I'm trying to be proactive.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-05-13 at 03:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Azuma walked backward out of the ship, giving the other three occupants a cheery wave with her uninjured arm once they'd touched down. "See you guys later, thanks for the-oooff."

Distracted as she was by wishing the rest of her team a good day, Azuma had managed to back into a man who, as it turned out, wasn't best impressed by her lack of spatial awareness. She turned and gave the man an apologetic grin. "Sorry! Didn't see you there!" With a brief glance at her shoulder, then at the ship she just exited, the man harrumphed and went on his way.

Giving her team a final wave, Azuma jogged inside. She gives a quick bob of her head to the receptionist before heading for the lift. While taking the stairs could be a good workout, seven floors up was more of a workout than she wanted right at this moment.

Show

18. - Top - End - #78

Lizardfolk

As the ship beings to fly off, Sly looks to the others and says: ""I don't know about y'all, but U haven't had a proper meal yet today. I know a nice little place a neighborhood over that's pretty quiet if you don't mind stopping by. With some solids in my stomach I'll be in a much better place to look at all this."

Sly motions to the papers he has out while simultaneously rubbing his stomach.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes, that sounds good to me," Ai says. She doesn't need to eat for sustenance, but she's discovered that she can digest human food (with a bit of concentration). She hasn't tried many yet, and she's looking forward to experimenting.
    "But I think maybe we should walk. People around here seem kind of upset about my ship."

The door in the side of the ship slides open again, and Ai steps out, trying to ignore the humans staring at her. When the others exit as well, she shrinks her ship down again in an instant and plucks it out of the air, storing it again in her pocket.

20. - Top - End - #80

BlueWizardGirl

Hannah wasn't quick enough to beat Ai's spaceship, but it was a spaceship so what was? She came just in time to watch Azuma hurry into the door of the dojo building. Hannah fell into a light jog for the last few meters and saw Azuma in the lift as it doors where closing: "Azuma! Hold it!", she called out and hurried down the hall past the reception to share the lift with her.

"Hi", she said grinning, when she stood in the lift and was wringing a not insignificant amount of rainwater out of her hair. Her expression turned serious fast, however, there was no reason to beat around the bush about the training. "So, White Tiger said she'd take you as a pupil, but only after you've proven yourself to be a hero...and I'm not sure what she meant by that, cause in my eyes you're a Hero...capital H."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Standing in the lift, Azuma was gently prodding at the edges of her bandage when she heard someone yelling her name. Glancing up, she blinked in recognition, then lunged forward to put her arm in the way of the closing doors, the machinery juddering then reversing as they opened up again to allow Hannah access. She returned Hannah's grin, giving her own "Hey!" in response.

She listened quietly as her friend ran through her mentor's comments, and then her own opinion on the matter. For such a short explanation, though, Azuma felt like she was on a rollercoaster with her reactions. Excitement quickly turned to worry, morphing into embarrassed pride at Hannah's praise.

Rubbing behind her neck, she felt her cheeks heating a bit as she shrugged, fighting the urge to wince as she inadvertently shifted her wounded shoulder "Well, I mean, I'm still not as good at it as you guys are. I mean, you're a full on superhero." Self-consciously, Azuma shifted her weight from foot to foot, "I get why your master wants to see me prove myself. I mean, I'm just, y'know, that girl that tags along with you all."

Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

"You did more than tag along. If you doubt that, just go down to the lockup and ask all the thugs who are sitting in there because of you."

Zahid studies the dojo with interest. For all of his strength and durability, he knows very little about the actual mechanics of fighting. So far he's been able to overpower opponents and obstacles, but one day he's bound to run into somebody as strong as himself. Or stronger...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

@Sly, Ai: The alien among you shrinks down the ship to a pocket-sized marvel, and the the life of the city flows on with barely a ripple to mark your passing. Without the distinctive silver spheroid to mark you out, and with Zahid following Azuma inside the building, you're just a pair of odd looking teens standing in a carpark. A taxi toots you onto the sidewalk, sending you scurrying in search of street food. The city is, in some ways, sadly lacking. Most retailers have been forced off the street by hygiene laws, congregating in purpose built buildings, or the food-courts of malls.

They still taste good, though, and the fake wood decor is reminiscent of the original. The man behind the counter is Indonesian, at a guess, and he offers probably authentic Satay and Sambal. He recognises Sly as you walk up, grinning at from behind the wood patterned formica counter-top.

"See, told you I was the best in the city. You're usual for you, and what will your," he pauses to waggle his eyebrows suggestively, "lady-friend have?" His accent is thick, but you can still hear the humour in his voice.

Show
    What (for flavour's sake) do you order, and do you look at the records now, or later?

@VG, Azuma, Zahid: Zahid will be disappointed with the Dojo. The room, for the most part, resembles a traditional gym, with weights and rowing machines. Adults wearing exercise wear are scattered around, skipping rope, or doing push-ups. A small few are sparring in a roped off corner space, but even these seem more concerned with technique than actual fighting. In another corner, an instructor is taking a class in what seems to be some kind of balance exercise. The whole place is brightly lit, with ceiling speakers blaring the latest hit at maximum volume.

About a third of the building is given over to children, who, under the tutelage of a few instructors, are clumsily moving through the basic forms. One of them stops abruptly, point to you as you stand in the entranceway. Awareness of your presence, or, more specifically, Zahid's presence, spreads in ripples across the room. A few of the children seem interested, the rest unnerved, flicking you worried glances from down cast eyes. Most of the adults do the same, except a few who huddle together, talking and pointing amongst themselves. You suspect they are working up the nerve to try and have you thrown out.

Azuma's father is slow to notice the commotion, or, perhaps, hopeful that it was not his daughter who was causing it. One of his co-workers, picked out in their red uniforms, whispers in his ear, and he shrugs his shoulder, but gets up and walks towards you anyway. A tinge of frustration seems to linger on his features as he hurriedly advances on you.

"Azuma, who are these pe-what the f*** did you do to your shoulder?"

This is bad. He never swears at work. This is very, very bad. His expression suggests that he is worried, and angry and sad at the same time, and wondering who should be the target of his wrath. You have a few seconds before he jumps to a conclusion, so tell me, who's going to take the blame?

Show
    Crunch time

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Azuma wilted a bit in the face of her father's reaction to her injury. Giving him a nervous smile, she answered, "Heeyy Dad... Umm... This is Zahid and, uh, and you've met Hannah before..." She gestured to her two friends, then looked back to her father. By his expression, it was clear that finding out what had happened to her shoulder was more important than who she was with. Funny how that worked. "S-so, umm, anyway. They helped me when I, uh, y'know, got, uh... Got... Shot..." She hurried on, trying not to give him a chance to respond, "But I'm good now! The medic who patched me up said it was minor, just a graze, really!"

She gave him another nervous smile, desperately hoping he wouldn't yell in front of the entire dojo.

Show

25. - Top - End - #85

BlueWizardGirl

Hannah had been so preoccupied with Azuma that she had completely missed Zahid, which could be considered an accomplishment with how much attention he usually drew thanks to his unique look. She nodded towards him as a late greeting and agreed with him: "You did good Azuma, you're not just a tag along."

The exited the elevator into the familiar dojo, drawing quite a bit of attention, especially Zahid. Besides him Hannah's mostly red traditional monk's garb was barely worthy of any note. Then Azuma's father spotted them, he seemed furious as soon as he spotted what had happened to Azuma's shoulder who in turn answered quite nervously. Hannah felt like she had to say something, she felt a responsibility, both for failing at the archive and as the leader of the team she saw herself as. So she took a step forward and bowed before Azuma's father like she had done before with White Tiger, "I am sorry, Shifu Sakuroko. It was my fault, I lost control of the situation and should've taken better care of protecting Azuma." Hannah had a feeling she wouldn't be welcome here anymore after today, but if she wanted to be a leader she had to make sacrifices.

Spoiler: Defend
    Show

I think this is a Defend roll, so I'm gonna try that. Defending Azuma from the wrath of her father and taking responsibility.

(2d6+1)[9]

EDIT: Do we have Team that we can use to bump that up to a 10?
    Last edited by Sahe; 2018-05-15 at 06:51 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Lizardfolk

"Uhhh, yeah, I haven't found a better place yet. And the usual would be great." Sly says, stumbling over his words while trying to ignore the cashier's jokes. He ruffles through his pockets for a few crumpled bills and hands them over while waiting for his Satay Madura.

"We might as well look through all these papers here."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Ai nods at Sly's suggestion to look at the papers here. She likes it here.

She closes her eyes and inhales deeply, her nose twitching slightly as she adjusts the olfactory epithelium in her nostrils so that she can smell all the wonderful food. "What's the spiciest thing you have that doesn't have any animals in it?" she asks the shopkeeper.

Moments later, carrying a little carton of tahu bacem (purchased entirely with slightly damp coins that she'd fished out of a fountain, much to the shopkeeper's bemusement), Ai sits down at a rickety table by the window. She's eager to examine the documents Sly found, and to try to puzzle out what that morning's fight was all about.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Sly, Ai: The owner smiles and waggles his eyebrows once more for good measure, before serving up your food. It's good, searing your mouth and throat, but not so spicy as to taste of nothing. On the tiny table, you lay out the documents, opening up buff folder.

In large letters, the first page of the document proclaims that it is an "Activity Report", issued by "the Committee of Paranormal Locations". The abstract underneath tells you that the report "describes the nature, possible risks and strategies to mitigate said risks of the location popularly known as 'The Tomb of Dragons'. There are a lot of pages to the report, probably more than sixty, but on the inside of the first page is a map.

Apparently, whatever this tomb is, it's in a secret crypt underneath Azuma's Dojo . How about that, huh?

Show
    If you read the report at your leisure, both of you can act as if you rolled a 10+ to assess the situation, replacing "here" with "at the Tomb of Dragons". If you skim it, you've gotta roll +Superior as normal.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Dressed in pants that are still tattered from the day's adventures and a hastily scrounged T-shirt, Zahid is not exactly the most impressive figure at the moment. He tries to be personable, asking people questions about their training and taking an interest in their answers. When he overhears the outburst from Azuma's father, he steps in...

"Azuma got herself hurt, but she took that risk for a good reason. She helped a lot of people today... kept them from being hurt. Or worse."
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2018-05-18 at 10:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Ai quickly becomes absorbed in the report. Its opaque official language is frustrating, but a bit familiar to her--it reminds her of how her people's delegates would communicate, when they had to lower themselves to appearing before galactic councils. The report clearly shows that this Tomb of Dragons beneath Azuma's father's dojo contains something powerful, and the fight at the library this morning shows that the Tomb attracts danger, too. That could pose a risk to all the people living above it.

Munching thoughtfully on a piece of now-cold tofu, Ai tries to summarize her thoughts to Sly. "I think that whoever made this report either misunderstood or underestimated whatever is in this Tomb of Dragons. And whatever it is, the snake lady from this morning wants it, and she's clearly willing to use force to get it. A lot of people could be in danger." The library was chaotic enough, and there was hardly anyone around--what type of damage could that woman and her followers do on a crowded street, or in a packed multi-story building? It's horrible to think about.

"We have to do something about this. Maybe if we figure out what's in that tomb, we can figure out how to keep all those people safe. Even if we can't find the entrance, I might be able to phase in..." Ai trails off.
    Last edited by gailforce; 2018-05-18 at 10:01 AM.