New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: The oldest videogames you played (at the time of playing)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    How are platformers dead?

Aside from the steady stream of Mario games that has never stopped, there have also been a number of high-profile platformers such as Sonic Mania, Shantae, Owlboy, The End is Nigh...and that's just the 2D ones! A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee both definitely qualify. I think there was also a new Crash Bandicoot, but that might have been a remake.

Looking further afield, there are games that technically belong in other genres that have a high degree of platforming in them. Cuphead (which technically belongs in Run-and-Gun, but then so does Megaman), Hollow Knight (Metroidvania), Steamworld Dig 2 (ditto)...the list is extensive. The games may not be "pure" platformers in the "run to the right and avoid enemies" sense, but all have a large degree of quite difficult platforming in them. Hollow Knight's White Palace has one of the nastiest platforming sections I've seen in a non-Kaizo game.

By the by, those are all from just the last two years, and they're just the ones I personally am aware of. If anything, I'd say platforming is one of the healthiest genres around.
    This list just reminded me that I need to go pick up Celeste as it looks like a sensational platformer.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

And it reminded me that I still can't finish Hollow Knight and that at least the vanishing of the White Palace was one good thing that happened in the world of Hollow Knight.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And it reminded me that I still can't finish Hollow Knight and that at least the vanishing of the White Palace was one good thing that happened in the world of Hollow Knight.
    Wasn't that area optional and only needed for the "true ending" anyway?

4. - Top - End - #64

Yes, but it also unlocks the true final boss, and I at least wanted to try taking her on.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    My favorite old game of all time is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, with the expansion, Alien Crossfire. It's a classic turn-based Civ-type game, before the franchise went off the deep end into the current dumpster-fire of mechanics designed to cripple human players down to the level of the AI. It's also highly unique, with mechanics not seen in any strategy game, before or since, like terraforming that lets you alter the shape of the map. It's not without it's pet balance issues (infinite city spam is a big problem), and the AI is hopeless, but it's a great game, and lots of fun, with lots of depth and nuance.
    SMAC is one of my all-time favourites, but the terraforming, while rare, isn't unique - I think Populous (1989) was the first. The SMAC mechanic I liked best was the unit customisation.

I still play Deus Ex (the first one) every few years, and Shogun: Total War (the original - I believe there was a remastering at some point). The oldest in recent years is probably Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space (1993, so a little over 20 years at time of playing), but it didn't age well...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GlassGolem View Post
    The oldest in recent years is probably Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space (1993, so a little over 20 years at time of playing), but it didn't age well...
    I suspect I played this game back in the 90s, but can you link to more information about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

I hit Earthbound for the first time in years not too long ago.

I oddly found myself not really able to get into it. I played the hell out of this game when it came out under the tagline 'This game stinks!', but this time I got up to the 5 moles in the desert and just can't make myself do it.

8. - Top - End - #68

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I suspect I played this game back in the 90s, but can you link to more information about it?
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/buzz-a...ace-into-space

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Might have been Moo2 at the time I played that, maybe ten years ago.

I also played Java Dungeon Master, that was good for a while, probably at about the same time as Moo2, so since it wasn't exactly the same game as Dungeon Master, not technically as old, but an elder playing style.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-04-16 at 11:32 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe Space Invaders, Galaxian or Pac Man, which were probably at least 25 or 30 years old the last time I played them, though I don't specifically recall when that was.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

In recent memory, Ultima II; My version of I is a remake made somewhere around the time of IV's release.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.