New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Cooking

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fantasy Cooking

So I am starting up an IRL campaign for the first time in a while which is exciting and the DM has tasked me with making fantasy themed food and drinks for the campaign. Back when The Hobbit first came out we had a LotR watching party to get in the right headspace and I had brought ring cookies complete with gold food spray paint and they were a big hit and since then the DM has been hoping for more such goodies.

So I thought to myself the playground would be a fun place to swap some recipes and find some inspiration.

I'll start us off. For Christmas I gave several of my girlfriends bottles of "Black Magic". I'd recently gotten edible shimmer and was all about giving shimmery alcohol to my friends.
    The recipe I originally found called for one part vodka, one part coffee liquor with a dash of lemon juice. I was disappointed but not overly surprised when it came out brown rather then black despite it being from a list of "black" cocktails, black was the goal as my best friend is goth. I added some black food coloring and the edible shimmer both picked up from JoAnn fabrics baking section for about $2 each with coupons. I bottled up the mixture and the gifts went over great.
    Last edited by missmvicious; 2018-02-18 at 02:04 PM.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Fantasy Cooking

This is a really neat idea for a thread! While my friends and I don't typically have any one specific "fantasy-themed" dish, we do tend to gravitate towards things that feel kind of medieval-esque - such as cutting up artisan bread and serving it with cheeses. Pro tip: herbal lavender jam is the BOMB. Our DM likes to put lavender jam on top of bread slices and calls it "fairy bread" because it's such a light, fun, unusual flavor.

I also brought honey mead to our most recent session. It was gooood.

Another fun thing, on St. Patrick's Day my party is planning on having an all-night session and playing D&D dressed as our characters. One of the members of our party has a rather... unique diet ingame, so to further reflect this, the player was planning on trying to make some kind of baked dish that looks like the special type of moss her character eats. I don't know what she's planning on cooking yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post
    find some inspiration.
    I'm hardly the greatest cook in the world, but one thing even I can do is gingerbread. The great thing about that is that you can decorate them however you want - so gingerbread elves and halflings are totally on the cards!

I also bake a pretty mean fairy cake, and fairies are a fantasy creature, right? So there would be a place for them in a fantasy-themed spread.

My colleagues at Mage Hand Press also have some YouTube videos of fantasy-themed cocktails that you might want to check out...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Some cool ideas I've seen, or thought of, or heard of:
    1. Coin pouches filled with chocolate coins
    2. D20 Cake pops or cupcakes
    3. Mana or health potions (energy drinks or liquor died red or blue and served from a bottle that looks like a potion)

Sorry, I don't have recipes to share. I'm still learning to bake and am hoping to find some nifty ideas on this thread.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

My wife makes an Italian waffle called Pizzelles ( lots of recipes on the internet & no, I'm not handing over the family recipe ) .

Our pizzelle maker has a choice of shapes, and we once made them, we then cut them in quarters before adding the powdered sugar, and told people they were fairy wings. Takes a little effort as they are delicate to cut if too thin.

Oh, we also made Jello jigglers, cut them into cubes, and passed them off as baby Gelantinous Cubes.
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2018-02-24 at 11:28 AM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by startrashh View Post

Another fun thing, on St. Patrick's Day my party is planning on having an all-night session and playing D&D dressed as our characters. One of the members of our party has a rather... unique diet ingame, so to further reflect this, the player was planning on trying to make some kind of baked dish that looks like the special type of moss her character eats. I don't know what she's planning on cooking yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Special moss? I wonder what food looks like Moss and what it would taste like

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    I'm hardly the greatest cook in the world, but one thing even I can do is gingerbread. The great thing about that is that you can decorate them however you want - so gingerbread elves and halflings are totally on the cards!

I also bake a pretty mean fairy cake, and fairies are a fantasy creature, right? So there would be a place for them in a fantasy-themed spread.

My colleagues at Mage Hand Press also have some YouTube videos of fantasy-themed cocktails that you might want to check out...
    I'm surprisingly terrible at cutting out cookie shapes. They like always get distorted. Maybe I'm messing up the dough. The drinks look like bomb though.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmi123 View Post
    hello
    I hope Fantacy cooking is nothing but different types of cooking techniques with tasty and good for health,in restuarent have different types of food. fantasy cookers have dress code and decipline to do cooking food.
    I think really the idea is that it aesthetically looks magical or like startrashh gets you into that role playing headspace.

I manage a restaurant so I get the uniforms and with specific techniques. Specifically I manage a pizzeria. I wonder if I can make a fantasy pizza. What would that be like?

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    Some cool ideas I've seen, or thought of, or heard of:
    1. Coin pouches filled with chocolate coins
    2. D20 Cake pops or cupcakes
    3. Mana or health potions (energy drinks or liquor died red or blue and served from a bottle that looks like a potion)

Sorry, I don't have recipes to share. I'm still learning to bake and am hoping to find some nifty ideas on this thread.
    Maybe you can try some of the ones posted here then.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    My wife makes an Italian waffle called Pizzelles ( lots of recipes on the internet & no, I'm not handing over the family recipe ) .

Our pizzelle maker has a choice of shapes, and we once made them, we then cut them in quarters before adding the powdered sugar, and told people they were fairy wings. Takes a little effort as they are delicate to cut if too thin.

Oh, we also made Jello jigglers, cut them into cubes, and passed them off as baby Gelantinous Cubes.
    I had to google pizzelle and those would be so pretty.

Also I've got a seven year old who is playing too and I LOVE the idea of the gelatinous cubes for him. He's a third generation d&d player, I'm so proud.

Spoiler: he's my baby
    Show

Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

There's a manga series Dungeon Meshi which is a fantasy themed adventure series, where low on food and water, the party starts making use of the various critters they've killed as provisions. Since it's a Japanese series though, they've turned the food preparation into an art, complete with recipes in the manga.

Spoiler: Mandrake kakiage and Giant bat tempura
    Show

I'm sure if you don't have giant bat, you can substitute a red meat, but I highly recommend not using real mandrake* and use another root vegetable instead (bonus marks if you cut it into a human shape before battering and frying).

There's plenty of other recipes that can re-flavoured appropriately.

*No really, don't use real mandrake.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-02-27 at 07:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    There's a manga series Dungeon Meshi which is a fantasy themed adventure series, where low on food and water, the party starts making use of the various critters they've killed as provisions. Since it's a Japanese series though, they've turned the food preparation into an art, complete with recipes in the manga.

Spoiler: Mandrake kakiage and Giant bat tempura
    Show

I'm sure if you don't have giant bat, you can substitute a red meat, but I highly recommend not using real mandrake* and use another root vegetable instead (bonus marks if you cut it into a human shape before battering and frying).

There's plenty of other recipes that can re-flavoured appropriately.

*No really, don't use real mandrake.
    The Mandrake looks pretty rad.

I'm thinking of trying this Instagram recipe, they look like unicorn horns to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfvJsWphlKI/
    Last edited by missmvicious; 2018-03-01 at 12:20 PM.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Has anyone ever seen Nerdy Nummies?

They aren't full recipes, and Rosanna Pansino assumes you have an awesome kitchen... which I don't. But still there is a wealth of ideas here.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking into stuff with agar agar or gelatin could be worth while. With a bit of sugar you can create stable gummy/jelly dishes in almost any shape(agar agar tends to be a little more prone to crumbling but less squishy and more able to show sharper edges, meanwhile gelatin can make something more like a gummy candy you'd buy in a store).
    Maybe edible "gems" made from firm agar agar? It takes colour well and can be flavored with a wide variety of stuff(though strong acids like lime will melt it, as I discovered).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Maybe edible "gems" made from firm agar agar? It takes colour well and can be flavored with a wide variety of stuff(though strong acids like lime will melt it, as I discovered).
    Something like... this?!

Spoiler: OMG WANT!
    Show
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

13. - Top - End - #13

Togath, Inex those look cool. Though I like the idea of gems, like loot you'd find. Glad to hear acidic stuff breaks agar agar down ahead of time, I think that would be frustrating to learn partway through. I've seen a water droplet cake made with agar agar and though its not entirely fantasy it is really cool!
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by missmvicious View Post
    Togath, Inex those look cool. Though I like the idea of gems, like loot you'd find. Glad to hear acidic stuff breaks agar agar down ahead of time, I think that would be frustrating to learn partway through. I've seen a water droplet cake made with agar agar and though its not entirely fantasy it is really cool!
    What is this witchcraft?!
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I once made a "dragon egg", by using a large plastic easter egg as a mold. I separated the whites and poured them in (it took 7 eggs for a half-giant-egg) and cooked it at low temperature until it hardened. Then I dug a hole for the yolk, soft cooked the yolk, mixed it with mayonnaise and spices and put it in the hole.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Dodom View Post
    I once made a "dragon egg", by using a large plastic easter egg as a mold. I separated the whites and poured them in (it took 7 eggs for a half-giant-egg) and cooked it at low temperature until it hardened. Then I dug a hole for the yolk, soft cooked the yolk, mixed it with mayonnaise and spices and put it in the hole.
    That sounds so intensly interesting. Are there pictures? Was it like a smashing hit? I mean I assume you served a party.

What is this witchcraft?!
    Lol food is basicaly magic.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I´m too cheap to invest in minis and I also lack the nerve to paint them (my ex wife was really good at that, being a trained artist), but I make heavy use of battle mats, so I need something to place and move around, representing enemies. My solution to this is creating wine gummy monsters - you can eat what you kill. I grabbed some of my old Reaper minis and headed over to a small local 3D printer company to get some silicon molds for my most common enemy shapes, which I use to make the wine gummy.

Now I like cooking with booze and I'm pretty creative at that, so we have white wine and thyme-based ones, coconut liquor-based skeletons, sake and matcha-based samurai goblins, Imperial Stout-based Drow, so on.

I try to remember this thread and take some fotos before our next gaming session.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Does anyone remember Skyrim?

Apple Cabbage Stew!

I'm not much of a stew eater... Texas is hot. Insulating foods are not a high priority around here. So, I will admit, I didn't even know this stew existed until Skyrim. My character was making it for his adopted kid (I know they don't need to eat, but I like to do it anyway) and I was like, these are real ingredients... not like horker meat (which I guess is walrus, and would be really illegal to eat). I wonder if someone invented a recipe for it?

Turns out is an old world recipe and has been around forever. Ok, I'm uncultured swine for not knowing this. But anyway, it looks delicious. See?

PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Turns out is an old world recipe and has been around forever.
    You can also go proper medieval style in serving food - bread trenchers (a stale loaf of bread with all the insides scooped out to make a bowl) or a thick slab of slightly stale bread as a plate (which was traditionally given to the poor afterwards), spoons and knives (no forks yet) and eaten with your fingers, but now we're moving away from gaming snacks and more proper meals.

Spoiler: Bread trencher
    Show

Spoiler: Edible bread trencher
    Show

I know there's A Feast of Ice and Fire, which is a companion cookbook to A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, but the authors also have a website with a number of traditional recipes: Inn At The Crossroads.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Ten or fifteen years ago, the husband of one of our players took sausage meat, shaped them to look like rat bodies, and put them it on shish kabob sticks. That session, our gaming group ate rat-on-a-stick.

For a Halloween party, he made two or three inch sausages, and put almonds on them to look like fingernails. He labeled them "ladyfingers".

21. - Top - End - #21

So I tried the gelatinous cube this weekend. I think it very well, I used a jiggler recipe so that helped. My son was super into them. It would be cool to to get some gummy people to put in them.

I also made a batch with higher fortitude added some vodka like I was a sorority girl.
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ooh, this has given me things to think about. I often make cookies or the like when my group meets, I wonder if there’d be a way to fantasy-ize those...

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by saltstorming View Post
    Ooh, this has given me things to think about. I often make cookies or the like when my group meets, I wonder if there’d be a way to fantasy-ize those...
    Sword shapped cookie cutters?
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I have heard of people re-labeling an energy drink as a "Potion of Bear's Endurance."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

On a vaguely related note, tonic water glows blue under UV light. You just need a custom label and it'll look exactly like Nuka Cola Quantum from the Fallout games
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-03-16 at 03:20 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by saltstorming View Post
    Little cookie figurines for battles - you kill 'em, you eat 'em.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

So, for D&D today, I was low on ingredients, and fell back on an old favorite.

Kronk's Spinach Puffs. They're so easy to make. I'll get you the recipe.

They're a nice handheld savory dumpling that is nutritious and surprisingly filling. I modified the recipe I use do to the limited ingredients without spending time on a shopping trip. Time was a factor.

Here's hoping they turn out ok...

Thin crust pizza dough
    Sauteed spinach
    Grated carrots
    Onion
    Chopped celery
    Diced ham
    Basil
    Garlic salt
    Parsley
    Pepper
    Himalayan Pink Salt

I added shredded parmesan to half the Puffs, for the guests who could eat cheese. I'm lactose intolerant, which makes me sad.

I normally add rice to the Puffs to absorb the moisture of all the veggies being baked, but as I said, time was a crunch, and I didn't think I had time to spare to stream the rice, then cool it before adding it to the mix.

I know Emperor's New Groove isn't quite D&D fantasy, but there's enough magic and high adventure in the movie to give it that feel. Plus, they're just fun to make and eat, and talk about.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

I saw an episode of The Simpsons where they made cookies that looked like bloody spearheads usig christmas tree cookie cutters and red sprinkles
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Update on the rushed spinach puffs. Definitely always take the time to make the rice.

Bad is a strong word, but they weren't great. Here is the recipe I usually use:
    • 1 14" thin crust dough (stretched)/ 8oz ball
    • 1 pound of sauteed spinach
    • 1 cup of rice (your choice)
    • 1 white onion
    • 1/3 cup of crumbled bacon (optional)
    • Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
    • Shredded cheese (optional)

1. First boil the rice in 2 cups of water. Once they're cooked, transfer the rice to a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
    2. Then, saute the onions in a teaspoon of oil, or 2 tsp of water, until they are translucent.
    3. While they're cooking, chop the sauteed spinach and drain it.
    4. Preheat the oven to 425F
    5. Add spinach to the onions and cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
    6. Stretch (or roll) the raw dough out flat, cut into 4ths, so they have 3 distinct points.
    7. Remove the Spinach mix from heat and let cool.
    8. Scoop out chilled rice and spread evenly around the crust quarters, leaving about a finger's width of visible dough around the edges.
    9. Add 1/4 cup of spinach mix to reach quarter, and salt, shredded cheese, and bacon if preferred.
    10. Then fold points together to make the puff. Sprinkle cheese and bacon on top of the non vegan puffs to mark them and decorate them.
    11. Bake in the oven on a baking sheet for 25 minutes. If it's not crisp all the way, cook for another 5 minutes.

Anyway, that's what I usually make, and it's a hit. Going rogue was a bad call.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2018-03-29 at 11:47 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Look for tankards and metal goblets on evilbay etc, collect funky bottles (miniatures and gift sets of liqueurs?) and test tubes for serving brightly coloured drinks just wash them properly and label them to avoid a mouthful of Eau de Cologne .

“Lembas” crispbreads and cheese?

Sausages on sticks and/or cheese and pineapple on sticks - you could make heraldic banners on self adhesive labels for the sticks or try to find some cocktail sticks shaped like swords.

Cake decorators gold and silver spray, biscuits and a sweet “boss” for miniature shields?

Hard boiled eggs - you can draw on the shells?

Mini “dragon eggs” - the chocolate ones with a candy shell?