New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Black Shingle Fiasco II: Electric Boogaloo

He shrugs. "Oh, you know. Maps of the world. History, geography, Maia always liked that sort of that. I think she wants to travel."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avita runs a hand into her thick head of rust-coloured hair; digging fingers into her scalp. "So.
    She's not here. And if she's with those that had her keys, we won't able to get to them unless to situation changes."

She turns her head to look at Mr Fields. "Alternate ideas we can do something about: she might have taken sanctuary at the House of Saint Cuthbert. Or, since she's a cartophile, she might have decided to lo-to go on a world tour which wouldn't be the stupidest decision, or she could be at this library studying to go on a world tour.
    "
    She snaps to a decision and drops a slight bow. "Mister Fields, we'll go and ask at the Saint of the Cudgel's house. I've already had a letter sent them asking about her. If she's just laying low and turns up here later on; send her to--no. NOT to the Guard HQ, that's too close to the front line. Send her to Saint Cuthbert's servants and get them to let us know."

She turns to look at the rest of the party. "Any thoughts? Suggestions? Complaints? Questions?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Sarim scratches his head, in part wondering if his input had any value here, but after a few moments of deliberation he nods in agreement. "Sounds about right t' me.. if she's been 'round the Saint's a lot, they be bound to know at least a little somethin' about where she be now."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"If you believe the Cudgelites are trustworthy, then let us go there. If we turn up nothing, we can inquire at the library Mr. Fields mentioned. She may have friends there."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

You bid farewell to Mister Fields, after asking for directions, and set out for the Temple of Saint Cuthbert: a modest establishment on the west side of the slums.

It is a short walk, perhaps a quarter of an hour, and you arrive at the front doors of a large, stone building with broad columns and an angled roof. A handful of people linger on the sweeping steps, and around the pillars, but otherwise the Temple seems dark and empty, almost abandoned. The doors hang open. You approach them.

Almost immediately, the doors open into a broad hall, empty save for a plain, undecorated altar. The only lighting comes from a handful of candles resting there. A woman with blonde hair stands just inside the doorway, wearing a red and white belted tunic, watching you perhaps a little too intently. She says nothing.

6. - Top - End - #246

Avita walks up the middle of the hall without looking left or right. She stops twenty feet before the altar and gives it a straight-backed bow. Holding the pose for a good ten seconds. And idol might be showy but would have given me more to work with. I have no idea what to do in here.

She straightens up, standing to attention facing to the altar, and says in a carrying voice; "Wisdom of the Saint, the law of the city seeks guidance."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Sarim follows in, looking around at the rather bare place and scratching his head as he mutters quietly to himself (but not out of the party's hearing range) "O' course a empty hallway c'n be a temple, never understand some faiths.." his words shift to unintelligible mumbles as the thought dies down, then back to respectful silence as Avita addresses the woman in red and white.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Sarrazin gives the spartan temple a look of distaste. Saint Cuthbert needs better interior decorators. This truly is a place for the meek and the poor; hardly worthy of a god, he thinks, but says nothing.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Fionn walks into the Cuthbert Temple and appreciates its simplicity, if not the particular color choice. He bows slightly to the idol before resuming his stance towards the back of the group, being another large menacing brute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman, you who assume to be a Priestess, watches you with crossed arms. Sarim and his mutterings earn a long look, but she surveys the rest of you, as well, lingering on Fionn and Avita's Jesadian heraldry. She nods respectfully to Sarrazin, before turning to answer Avita, eyes narrowed. "You're one of the few." She pauses, the cogs turning in her head, coming to a decision. "Still. I'm happy to provide what help I can. You said you're with the government?

11. - Top - End - #251

Avita turns to face the priestess and drops a short bow, trying to combine officiousness and respectfulness and probably just coming across as creepier than usual. "Wisdom", she says quietly. "We're deputies of the City Guard. I am called Avita Santiago".

She raises a gaunt hand to touch her unholy symbols. "Yes, I am of the Stern Lady's following, but not of her heirarchy. A distinction that some seem to find tricky. Wisdom, we sent a letter here stating our business, but it seems we may have beaten it-you know-public sector-nothing happens on time. We're trying to track down a young lady of your following. A Miss Maia Fields. She went missing this morning. We think she might have information valuable to the city's defense, and we fear she might be in danger. Obviously we're a little concerned about all these things."

She gazes intently at the priestesses face, looking for signs of suspicion. "Also, there's a couple new types of Demon active within the city you and your people need to be made 'ware of. And, oh yes. The Demon commander invited us to some sort of evil get-together at Crab Island in a couple of days time. Any discussion and advice on that would be welcome. But first we'd like to know if anyone's seen Miss Fields. We were hoping she might have come here."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

The Priestess does not acknowledge the formalities, merely watching Avita, face blank and impassive. "I remember the girl. Always very nervous, like she thought I would throw her out at any moment. But faithful enough, maybe even a little clever. I haven't seen her for almost a week. And no, I haven't noticed anything unusual." She turns away from you. Facing the altar, hands clasped her back and rhythmically tapping her wrist with one finger, she spits out "We got your letter." Then, reluctantly: "I am very grateful. The Temple is rather low on manpower, but if nothing else, I would like to accompany you. I just feel so useless right now - you must understand." She gives you a pained glance over her shoulder. "I want to help however I can."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"More hands for the good fight are always welcome, priestess," Sarrazin chimes in. "We have some idea of where we might look for Ms. Fields next, but do you happen to recall if she spoke regularly with any of your other parishioners?"

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not that I can remember." She turns back to you, frowning. "Our Temple doesn't get too many worshipers these days, and Miss Fields always seemed like the quiet type. Sorry."

15. - Top - End - #255

"She might be at the library that was mentioned", says Avita, folding her arms and holding to whatever hope is left.

Then abruptly, drops her hands and bows again. "We'd appreciate your support. The Jesadians; I'm ashamed to say, have gone into lockdown. Everyone appears to be hunkering down and hoping someone else deals with what's coming. It's a relief to find someone willing to move." She straightens, staring at the priestess "You have...choir boys and shrine maidens and whatnot that can pass on the word one the new demons? The temple can go on without you?"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

The Priestess nods sharply. "Yes. Most of our order are too old to be going on adventures, they can stay here." She extends a hand. "My name is Claris, by the way. Claris Fessin."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

You head for the library. Priestess Claris watches you go, expressionless.

The walk there takes you most of the way back to the compound - and to the centre of the Green District, a neighbourhood of gardens, parks, and canals. Trees line the streets, and creepers cling to the sides of buildings. The air is a little cleaner here, and nearly everyone you pass looks at peace.

The sun is sinking beneath the horizon by the time you arrive at Flag Bearer's Plaza, a small square surrounded by stone houses almost reminiscent of the countryside. The centerpiece is a mossy statue of a soldier boldly hoisting a banner. It actually takes you some time you to find the library among the other buildings: it a little bigger than the others, but not much. Though you arrive only a few minutes short of closing time, you have the time to look around and ask some questions. The library is small but compact, with more shelves crammed onto the two floors than you would have thought possible, and a manual search soon reveals that you are the only visitors. The librarian, a white-haired old woman with a particularly pointy nose, confirms this. She does remember Maia, apparently having fostered something of a fondness for the girl, but has not seen her for almost two weeks and, in her words, "haven't even the beginnings of an earthly idea" where she currently is.

18. - Top - End - #258

Avita, has she leaves the temple, looks behind her. "Didn't she say she wanted to come with us? And didn't two of us say words to the effect that she'd be welcome? And she stayed behind anyway?" She shakes her head. "Is that what happened? Or am I too tired to see straight?"

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

On the way to the library
    "The followers of St. Cuthbert tend to mean what they say, Avita. I'm sure priestess Claris will join us at an opportune time," Sarrazin replies as they leave the temple. "And to be fair, it does seem unlikely that we will be waylaid at the local library. Unless you have some overdue books you haven't told us about? Then things could turn nasty in a hurry!" he quips with a sly grin.

At the library
    "That's a shame, madam. These are dangerous times, and the fact that Ms. Fields appears to have fallen off the face of the earth is worrisome indeed. Be that as it may, we were told that she was quite fond of maps. Did she express interest in maps of any particular area when she was here the last time?"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nothing in particular," says the librarian, focused on the bookshelf in front of her. "Maia sometimes talked about travelling, but I don't know how serious she was. Looked at any of the maps she could find, really. Mostly of distant lands."

21. - Top - End - #261

Avita stands very straight for a few moments. Eyes closed and jaw clenched. A long breath hisses out past her teeth and her clenched fists tremble slightly. "...led you all on a frelling woozle-hunt and for what?" she finally mutters quietly.

Then her eyes open and she addresses the librarian directly. "Scholara; if we have no joy in that quest, then might we borrow whatever maps of Crab Island, of the city underground-you know; sewer networks and whatnot-and of the Abyss that you might have?" An eyebrow flicks up. "Unconventional request, I know. Especially that last. Yet we've some documents in our possession that we'd like to..." her lips tighten; as though she can't believe she's saying these words "...compare and contrast with other sources."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

The librarian raises an eyebrow, but nods accommodatingly and flashes you the briefest of smiles. "This is just a small library, you understand, nothing official. For maps of the city sewers you'd need to visit the city archives - but as it so happens, I do have a map of Crab Island." She gives you a curious look. "And the Abyss, for that matter, though I can't guarantee its accuracy. We acquired it from a traveler almost a decade ago. You're welcome to borrow both of them."

23. - Top - End - #263

Avita nods. "Of course it's not called the Infinite Layers for no reason; but none the least I'd like to check some things. Thank you for those things; Scholara, and we'll be off".

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

You leave the library and finally, after a very, very long day, return to the compound. It is twilight as the guards pull aside the barricades to let you inside, and as you stumble through the rapidly-emptying grounds, into the barracks, up the stairs, and into your attic dormitory. The beds are as you left them when you were last here, two days ago, before the assault on Black Shingle - a veritable age ago. After taking what precautions you will, you fall into a deep sleep.

All too soon, though, you are abruptly wakened by a loud knocking on the door. Through the single window, you can see the beginnings of a bright and sunny day, the city's smoke mingling with the blue sky and fluffy white clouds. You can already here the bustle of activity in the compound below.

One of you eventually answers the door, only to find Lieutenant Kresh towering over you, dressed in an immaculate blue uniform, and trailed by a dark-haired woman you do not recognize. Upon seeing you, the orc takes a deep breath and faces you with a look of stern authority. "Good morning," he says, voice perfectly even and controlled. "I am going to make a formal report to the Council. And I will... well, uh." He coughs dryly. "Before I leave, I thought I might as well introduce you to the newest member of your team, um..." He gives the woman with him a look. "Well, she can introduce herself. A few weeks ago Parker contracted the service of a company of mercenaries without telling anyone, and they only just arrived late last night. Their leader tells me they're all some kind of magic-user, something to do with controlling the mind. Anyway, we've been trying to station one in each of our squads, and you are no exception." Kresh leans in, lowering his voice to just above a whisper. "Listen, these people are all a little odd. Foreigners, you know. They seem trustworthy enough, but stay on your guard around her."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Hello everyone my name is Pamela Chalice. I'm a Psion. Kresh fills me on for everything what's happening here." So I hope it will be a good experience working with you."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"A fine good morning to you as well, Lieutenant, and to you also, Mistress Chalice," Sarrazin replies, putting on his friendliest face. "I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the title "Psion". What is it that you do, exactly?"

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "A fine good morning to you as well, Lieutenant, and to you also, Mistress Chalice," Sarrazin replies, putting on his friendliest face. "I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the title "Psion". What is it that you do, exactly?"
    Pamela replies back to Sarrazin.

"Well good sir. I happen to specialized in psychokinesis. In other words I'm a kineticist. I can manipulate and transform matter and energy. I can attack with devastating blast of energy causing serious damage."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

"A pleasure to meet you Ms. Chalice. I am Sir Fionn"
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    "A pleasure to meet you Ms. Chalice. I am Sir Fionn"
    "Thank you. You have such lovely matters Sir Fionn. Nice to meet you too."

30. - Top - End - #270

Avita stands up, fixing the new arrival with a long, unblinking stare as she gropes her hand into its gauntlet, then takes few steps forward and drops one of her patented scissor-sharp short bows to Kresh. "Sir. I believe I may have been somewhat remiss in not providing you with a more full account of our wanderings yesterday. If our letter reached you then it has the broad strokes, but still, there's more. Might I have permission to bathe and make myself presentable before I present myself to anyone?"