New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Mechwarrior to Battletech

So with the new Battletech video game about to drop and the sale on drivethrurpg on the battletech books, I am looking at running it for an in person group. I was curious, I remember the older 2nd edition having a pretty straight conversion from taking your mechwarrior from the RPG and when they get into the mech switching to Battletech without an issue. I didn't see any charts for the conversion in the new Catalyst Game book, anyone know where it is, or have a quick home brew conversion?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Mechwarrior to Battletech

I don't have my books on me at the moment, but I'm absolutely sure there is such a conversion from Time of War to the tabletop, on the account of me playing in a bi-weekly Time of War group where we have regular Mech battles on Solaris. I can look it up once I get home.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, the A Time of War Companion has conversion rules for each edition. However, there are some errors in the MW2 conversion guidelines, notably in converting over Attribute values, where the AToW Companion claimed that Atttributes had an average rating of 4 and a maximum rating of 9; in fact, 3 was described as average, and getting a 9 was impossible, because Clan phenotypes couldn't get the Exceptional Attribute advantage, and they were the only ones that saw an 8 in anything (Build for Elementals and Reflexes for fighter pilots, specifically). You can use the conversion rules from MW1 to adjust the stat conversion, though, since the MW1 to AToW guidelines more or less seem to check out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks Delta if you can find the page number so I can mark it that would be great. No Clans as it will take place pre Clan invasion, so that issue doesn't bother me too much.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pvi212 View Post
    Thanks Delta if you can find the page number so I can mark it that would be great. No Clans as it will take place pre Clan invasion, so that issue doesn't bother me too much.
    The issue with the Clans is because the conversion rules were bent around an incorrect assumption of how high Attributes can go and what they normally are due to the inclusion of phenotypes, so even if you don't use them, their shadow will still fall over the conversion guidelines.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pvi212 View Post
    The relevant chapter would be "Tactical Combar: Addendum" I think (p.200), basically you replace the usual Piloting/Gunnery rolls from the tabletop with skill checks from the RPG. In effect, it boils down to tabletop skill = 8 - RPG skill, I think (because 8 is the standard TN for Piloting/Gunnery checks)

edit: There's a simpler sidebar that explains it on p.40
    Last edited by Delta; 2018-04-17 at 12:02 PM.