New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Archdevil Moloch (Mordenkainen's tome of foes preview)

Another Monster Preview courtesy of Dragon+ issue 19.

Moloch the exiled Archdevil.

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/d...A19_Moloch.pdf

Spoiler: Moloch
    Show

Last edited by Envyus; 2018-04-19 at 06:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Archdevil Moloch (Mordenkainen's tome of foes preview)

Dragging people around with the cat-o'-ninetails seems like a pretty strong thing to do. If I ran him, he wouldn't be alone, but he would be the central point of the encounter. Also, he has a LOT of at-wills, including Wall of Fire, which would be a good way to lock down players while minions attack them. I like him from what I've read so far.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I like him more than the Astral Dreadnought. He seems more Strategic and less of a one trick pony.

He caries the casual "Don't loose your Divine Caster or you're screwed" Tag, as any CR21 Fiend worthy of the Name should, and has a Further "This isn't even my final form" tag, in case you encounter him in Alter Self form, which makes him an even cooler boss, possibly for any kind of level encounter. He has a lot of agendas, so he has also a lot of reasons NOT to fight the players till death, just till they manage to delay him enough.

I like him a lot, mostly because I feel like presenting him as an NPC (with Alter Self) at early Levels, or perhaps 2-3 NPCs, then have him try to manipulate the PCs into promote his own Agenda (successfully or not, depending on the PCs choices), and then come back as a boss fight, which can make a great side story/optional boss in any campain.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    I like him more than the Astral Dreadnought. He seems more Strategic and less of a one trick pony.
    This does make sense as he is a unique and intelligent being while the Dreadnought is well not.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I like him a lot.

Not only he's a beast in combat, his statblock reflects the mental capacities someone who once ruled a layer of Hell should have. Furthermore, his lore is pretty much perfect to craft adventures around or just have him get involved in an otherwise unrelated campaign.

Plus the image of a mighty Lord of the Nine being too short on cash for his schemes is pretty hilarious. It's a big like seeing Jabba the Hutt accepting to smuggle Obi-Wan and Luke to Aldeeran because he has bills to pay.

An amazing example of D&D at its best: a mix of epic, awesome, scary and silly.

6. - Top - End - #6

Kobold

Though I am a bit surprised it does not mention the reason for his relative weakness compared to other Lords of the Nine and the major Demon Lords is because he was never a true Archduke. He was Baalzebul's Viceroy ruling the 6th Layer in Baalzebul's name. (One of the reason he decided to defy Asmodeus was because Malagard convinced him that Asmodeus would respect him for it and make him full on ruler with Baalzebul's fall from grace.)
    Last edited by Envyus; 2018-04-19 at 07:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    Though I am a bit surprised it does not mention the reason for his relative weakness compared to other Lords of the Nine and the major Demon Lords is because he was never a true Archduke. He was Baalzebul's Viceroy ruling the 6th Layer in Baalzebul's name. (One of the reason he decided to defy Asmodeus was because Malagard convinced him that Asmodeus would respect him for it and make him full on ruler with Baalzebul's fall from grace.)
    ...what.

Envyus, this is not Moloch's lore anymore.

As mentioned in the doc, he WAS a full archduke, and he didn't rule the layer in the stead of Baalzebul

Also, While he's weaker than the Demon Lords presented so far, well, as the lore point out, he's been weakened since his time of glory.

You know, it might be weird, but if I ever wrote an adventure involving Moloch, I'd probably make him end up learning his lesson and trying another angle to gain power.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-04-19 at 07:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

I know it's not his lore anymore. I am just surprised they dropped it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

He seems like an interesting hook for transitioning from adventures. There are plenty of MacGuffins throughout various modules he could be seeking, and he could blame the players for their destruction or other inaccessibility and demand the party make good.
    In-character problems require in-character solutions. Out-of-character problems require out-of-character solutions.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    I like him a lot.
    Plus the image of a mighty Lord of the Nine being too short on cash for his schemes is pretty hilarious. It's a big like seeing Jabba the Hutt accepting to smuggle Obi-Wan and Luke to Aldeeran because he has bills to pay.

An amazing example of D&D at its best: a mix of epic, awesome, scary and silly.
    Actually, the Astral Dreadnaught looks quite a bit like Jabba. That does take a quite a bit of the "dread" out of it.

Astralnaught, anybody?

EDIT: Wait a second. Astral naught...

Astronaut?

An Astral Dreadnaught is a human astronaut that that somehow made itself scary, thus adding the "dread" to its name.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

This is very good. I like the use of the old art, and the lore is very heavy with hooks. Nice to give him some concrete goals.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Sweet. Never liked the Hag countess.

Hoping we get Zariel too.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Sweet. Never liked the Hag countess.
    Given how Asmodeus pummeled her into a bloody pulp, I think you're not the only one

Hoping we get Zariel too.
    Pretty sure she was announced.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I hope this is an indication that Glasya will be getting a stat block cause she's one of the biggest bads in my campaign.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by sightlessrealit View Post
    I hope this is an indication that Glasya will be getting a stat block cause she's one of the biggest bads in my campaign.
    We're almost certainly getting her stats, yes. Would be a very last minute change if they change it now.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kobold

Question is there anyone here would like to make 5 characters of 12th level to battle Moloch in a PbP. Then buff those same PC's to level 17. For a round 2.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

That Teleportation, Geas, Stinking cloud make for some pretty mean tactics. Paired with some minions this guy would be one of the funnest fights I think I could have.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

cool monster, but sad to see they still look to be pushing 4e's much "loved" asmodious metaplot across the "shared multiverse".

19. - Top - End - #19

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrasodium View Post
    cool monster, but sad to see they still look to be pushing 4e's much "loved" asmodious metaplot across the "shared multiverse".
    Huh what are you talking about. What does that have to do with Moloch's lore.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Huh what are you talking about. What does that have to do with Moloch's lore.
    [quote-="the pdf"]"Exiled from the Nine Hells, Moloch would do anything to reclaim his position. Long ago, Moloch earned his place among the other archdevils through the glory he won driving demons out of the Nine Hells. Asmodeus rewarded him by elevating Moloch to the rulership of Malbolge.
    For eons, Moloch ruled his domain, vying against the other archdevils as he sought still greater power. This animosity worked in Asmodeus’s favor, since Asmodeus knew that Moloch’s scheming helped keep the other archdevils in check. The arrangement began to unravel, however, when Moloch took the night hag named Malagard for his advisor. Her words were poison, and gradually she convinced Moloch to direct his efforts to topple Asmodeus. Although the conspiracy nearly succeeded, it was thwarted. Moloch was stripped of his station and sentenced to death—and only the timely use of a planar portal allowed him to escape."[/quote]
    Not every setting fit as well as others. Some settings did not even have a compatible planar structure or compatible demon lore, but had it forced on them anyways for example.

Yes it's possible that elsewhere they lay some groundwork for fixing the damage caused; but people not speaking up in 4e might have made things worse to some degree so there is no reason not to raise worries instead of waiting quietly with fingers crossed.

21. - Top - End - #21

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by the pdf
    "Exiled from the Nine Hells, Moloch would do anything to reclaim his position. Long ago, Moloch earned his place among the other archdevils through the glory he won driving demons out of the Nine Hells. Asmodeus rewarded him by elevating Moloch to the rulership of Malbolge.
    For eons, Moloch ruled his domain, vying against the other archdevils as he sought still greater power. This animosity worked in Asmodeus’s favor, since Asmodeus knew that Moloch’s scheming helped keep the other archdevils in check. The arrangement began to unravel, however, when Moloch took the night hag named Malagard for his advisor. Her words were poison, and gradually she convinced Moloch to direct his efforts to topple Asmodeus. Although the conspiracy nearly succeeded, it was thwarted. Moloch was stripped of his station and sentenced to death—and only the timely use of a planar portal allowed him to escape."
    Not every setting fit as well as others. Some settings did not even have a compatible planar structure or compatible demon lore, but had it forced on them anyways for example.

Yes it's possible that elsewhere they lay some groundwork for fixing the damage caused; but people not speaking up in 4e might have made things worse to some degree so there is no reason not to raise worries instead of waiting quietly with fingers crossed.
    Uh you do know that that has been the story since 2e. It has nothing to do with 4e. Asmodeus stripped Moloch of his position back then and appointed Malagard in his place. This has always been the default meta structure for the planes.

There was no damage caused cause this was always the situation.
    Last edited by Envyus; 2018-04-20 at 06:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Uh you do know that that has been the story since 2e. It has nothing to do with 4e. Asmodeus stripped Moloch of his position back then and appointed Malagard in his place. This has always been the default meta structure for the planes.
    While true for many settings, the way you phrased that the problem. Prior to 4e some settings (ie eberron & dark sun) did not have that planar & demon structure but 4e ignored that & just shoveled it in while making the setting adapt rather than adapting it to those settings.

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

While true for many settings, the way you phrased that the problem. Prior to 4e some settings (ie eberron & dark sun) did not have that planar & demon structure but 4e ignored that & just shoveled it in while making the setting adapt rather than adapting it to those settings.
    Dark Sun has always been part of the meta setting. Planescape groups and books make reference to Dark Sun, it's just a Material plane that is near impossible to get out of or into

Eberron has always had Demons and Devils in it. They are just mainly in one plane fighting with each other. And Eberron itself is also remarked as another Material Plane that can be reached via spelljammer, but it's so far that it's planes have changed around and it's just a myth to most planer travels.

And Planescape is the Meta setting of 5e.
    Last edited by Envyus; 2018-04-20 at 06:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dark Sun has always been part of the meta setting. Planescape groups and books make reference to Dark Sun, it's just a Material plane that is near impossible to get out of or into

Eberron has always had Demons and Devils in it. They are just mainly in one plane fighting with each other. And Eberron itself is also remarked as another Material Plane that can be reached via spelljammer, but it's so far that it's planes have changed around and it's just a myth to most planer travels.

And Planescape is the Meta setting of 5e.
    darksun did not have planes, I've read that 4e gave them to it. Eberron had Khyber's children
    (ie demons) yes, but it never had the nine hells & some of the other planes that were thrown in to replace existing planes in all but name. The demons in eberron , buch like dragons, do not have the same motives/goals/etc as those presented in the MM & the Asmodious metaplot was pretty incompatible with it so they forced the setting to adapt. It was so much so that Dragon 408 pg40-42 covers a way to adapt the new stuff to the setting as opposed to the other way around that was presented in the 4e eberron books themselves.

25. - Top - End - #25

Kobold

Dark Sun is still stated to be in the Material Plane and reachable in Planescape since 2e. Eberron does not have the Nine hells, but it has Shavarath which is fought over by Demons and Devils.

And whats the Asmodeus Meta plot. Are you just talking about Asmodeus being the ruler of the Nine Hells. Which he has been since 1e.
    Last edited by Envyus; 2018-04-20 at 06:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Dark Sun is still stated to be in the Material Plane and reachable in Planescape since 2e. Eberron does not have the Nine hells, but it has Shavarath which is fought over by Demons and Devils.

And whats the Asmodeus Meta plot. Are you just talking about Asmodeus being the ruler of the Nine Hells. Which he has been since 1e.
    I believe that he's referring to the fact that Asmodeus was basically a non-entity in 3.5e Eberron, but when 4e came about, they inserted his own demiplane into the cosmology (or something like that. I didn't really keep up with 4e). Point being, they literally just plopped him down in Eberron.

27. - Top - End - #27

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I believe that he's referring to the fact that Asmodeus was basically a non-entity in 3.5e Eberron, but when 4e came about, they inserted his own demiplane into the cosmology (or something like that. I didn't really keep up with 4e). Point being, they literally just plopped him down in Eberron.
    That has nothing to do with Moloch or his lore entry as I explained to him.

Also from looking at the 4e Eberron Setting. It has nothing really to do with Asmodeus and more with 4e shuffling Eberrons plane structure to be more like the 4e core one. Baator being one of the planes added in. Which is honestly not a huge deal. It only gets a paragraph in the book and is easily ignored.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I noticed he can cast animate dead at will. That might give him a start on that army he wants to accumulate.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by 4e ECG
    Baator, the Nine Hells: Hilator is populated not by angels but by devils, and ruled by the archdevil Asmodeus. Unlike the angelic rulers of the it her astral dominions, who claim only to be dedicated servants of the gods. Asmodeus claims to be a god in physical form, ruling his territory and his own servitors with an iron grip.
    Influence: The presence of t he Nine Hells in the world is felt primarily as an influx of evil. Where Baator's influence is strong. evil and chaotic evil creatures feel empowered to make attacks on their enemies.
    Baator did not exist previously. Compare the dragon 408 version to that for an extreme comparison
    What Is Baator?
    The Sovereigns created the planes, and the names of many of them are known to every student of the arcane. Yet there is more to reality than the well-known planes. Other islands are in the Sea of Siberys, and Baator is one of them. Angels fear to tread within this prison for rebellious immortals.

The angels of the Astral Sea say that at one time the gods of the Sovereign Host walked among them and perfected the work of the Progenitors. In Daanvi, minions of Aureon tend the Infinite Archive, while the angels of Boldrei keep the First Hearth burning. They are cogs in the vast machine of creation. Most of these divine servants are dedicated to their Sov-ereigns and their sacred duties. Yet there are always exceptions. Pride, passion, hunger for power, or simple doubt in the divine order—any of these things can cause an angel to fall. Angels are truly immortal and eventually re-form after physical death, so there needed to be a way to contain malevolent spirits.

According to records in the Infinite Archives, in the days before their final ascension, the Sovereigns worked together to build a prison from the raw stuff of the Sea of Siberys. Aureon wove binding spells to prevent any escape, while Onatar and Dol Dorn built mighty automatons that could crush any uprising. Each Sovereign created a personal domain within the prison as a place of punishment for those who rose up against them—nine hells for rebellious spirits. For a hundred thousand years, angels have been cast into Baator. The immortals of the outer planes are more ideas given form than they are creatures of flesh and blood, and as that fundamental idea changes, they physically change to reflect it. And so these former angels became devils as the seeds of pride and hate flourished over eons of torment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabar in4e ecg
    Mahar, the Endless Night: Mabar is anything but a perfect paradise. Ruled by angels devoted to the Mockery, the Keeper, and the Shadow, the city is a pit of darkness and evil to rival the depths of the Abyss, devouring every spark of light and life that dares 10 intrude on its eternal, starless night.
    Influence: When the Endless Night stretches dark tendrils into the world. shadows grow blacker and colder. and in some regions creatures gain a +1 bonus to all necrotic attacks. while radiant attacks arc weakened.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 ECS Mabar
    Mahar, the Endless Night Utter blackness where no light shines fills the plane of Mabar. the Endless Night. The starless night lasts forever. its gloom never diminishing in the least. The darkness literally devours the life of visitors to this plane. extinguishing every spark of light that dares intrude upon the Endless Night.

Mabar has the following traits:
    Minor negative—dominant.
    Enhanced magic: Spells that use negative energy, including inflict spells, are maximized.
    Impeded magic: Spells that use positive energy are impeded.
    Mabar Inhabitants: Barghest (all). bodak. succubus(demon). nightshade (all). shadow. shadow mastiff, Manual of the Planes: Xeg-yi, yugoloth (all),
    Monster Manual III: Gloom golem. necronaut. Yugoloth(all).
    All the creatures listed above are immune to damage
    from negative energy. including the ambient energy of the plane.

Coterminous: When Mabar is coterminous to the Material Plane. every shadow grows blacker and colder. and the nights become far deadlier. Spells that use negative energy are cast at +l caster level if cast in darkness. and evil clerics rebuke or command undead as though they were one level higher as long as they are in darkness. During the night and while underground. Travel between the planes is much easier—simply stepping into an area where no light shines can transport a character from Eberron to Mabar. and barghests and shadows emerge From the Endless Night to hunt the nights of Eberron.

Mabar enters a coterminous phase for three dark nights once every five years. on the nights ofthe new moon closest to the winter solstice.

Remote: When Mabar is remote. shadows seem a little lighter and nights not so fearsome. Spells that use negative energy are cast at +1 caster level. day or night. and evil clerics rebuke or command undead as if they were one level lower. Mabar is remote for a period of Five autumn days once every five years. around the full moon nearest the summer solstice. two and a half years after each coterminous phase.

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 ECS Dolurh
    Dolurrh, the Realm of the Dead A place of hopelessness. eternal despair. and consumingapathv. Dolurrh is the realm
    where mortal souls go after death. lt is not a reward. It is not a punishment. lt iust is. Dolurrh has the following traits:
    Heavy gravity.
    Timeless.
    Impeded magic: All spells are impeded.
    Entrapping: A visitor to Dolurrh experiences increasing apathy and despair while there. Colors become graver and less vivid. sounds duller. and all experiences tainted with ennui. At the conclusion of every day (of subjective time) spent in Dolurrh. any non native must make a will saving throw (DC 15 + the number of consecutive days in Dolurrh). Failure indicates that the individual has fallen entirely under the control of the plane. becoming an incorporial shade, an outsider native oil the plane. Travelers trapped by Dolurrh cannot leave the plane of their own volition and have no desire to do so. Memories of any previous life fade into nothingness, and it lakes a wish or miracle spell to return them.

Dolurrh Inhabitants: Nalfeshnee (demon). lemure (devil). marut (inevitable).
    .Monster Manual III: Shadowsworn (demon, ephemeralswarm, plague brush.

Coterminous: When Dolurrh is coterminous. slippage can sometimes occur between The Material Plane andthe Realm ol‘the Dead. Ghosts become common on Eberron because. it is as easv tor spirits to remain in the world of the living as it is for them to pass to Dolurrlt. Spells to bring back the dead work normally. but run the risk of calling back more spirits than the one desired. Whenever a character is brought back from the dead while Dolurrh is coterrninous. roll on the following table
    d% Result
    01-50 Spell functions normally.
    51—80 1d4 ghosts (CR = raised character's level) appear near the raised character.
    81—90 As above. but, the wrong spirit claims the risen body and the intended spirit returns as a ghost.
    91-99 The spell functions normally. but a nalfeshnee possesses the raised character.
    100 The spell does not Function: instead. a nalfeshnee animate: the body.

Dolurrh is coterniinous for a period of one year every century. precisely fifty years after each period of being remote.
    Remote: When Dolurh is eremote, spells that bring back the dead do not function. and it is impossible to reach
    Dolurrh by means of plum shift. Only by journeying to Dolurrh (using astral Projection, gate, or a permanent portal
    to the plane), finding the soul of the deceased. and bringing it back to the Material Plane can a deceased character be. returned to life during
    this period. Once the soul is back on the Material Plane. no further magic is required to restore the dead to life. Both nalfeshnees and maruts frown on having souls retrieved in this manner. however.
    Dolurrh is remote for a period of one year every century, precisely Fifty years after each coterminous phase.
    Unfortunately that was incompatible with the nearest equivalent in the default cosmology. So 4e changed it like so
    Quote Originally Posted by ecg 4e dolurh
    DOLlIRRH, THE SHADOWFELL
    Dolurrh. also called the Shadowfell. is a place of gloom and despair. never brighter than twilight. Within this dark world is the desolate Realm of the Dead. where souls go at the end of lire on Eberron. Some say that the ultimate fate or souls is to remain in Dolurrh and fade into the shadows, while others cling to a hope that souls eventually pass beyond the Shadowfell. beyond even the Astral Sea. to the place where the gods reside, Dolurrh is also home to creatures of darkness such as shadar-kai. nightwalkers, and death titans.

Influence: When the Shadowfell draws near to the world, the boundaries between life and death grow thin. Ghosts become common on Eherron then, because il is as easy for spirits to remain in the world of the living as it is for them to pass into the Ilealm of the Dead. Rituals that call the dead back to life sometimes go awry, bringing ghosts or other undead along with the desired spirit.
    At times. the Shadowfell grows remote from the world , and it becomes harder to cross between death and life. The Raise Dead ritual might not function at all. requiring characters to Ira\'el to Dolurrh to retrieve the soul or a departed companion.
    so on & so forth.

30. - Top - End - #30

Kobold

Yeah and all of that is unrelated to Moloch's lore and Asmodeus, it's related to 4e changing the cosmology. Which 5e has changed back for the most part.
    Last edited by Envyus; 2018-04-20 at 07:42 PM.