New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Calculating experience gained

I may just be blind, but I cannot find where it says how to assign experience to PCs in the PHB or DMG. What I mean by that is, for example, if 3 players kill 6 goblins, do they each get 100 experience or 300?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Calculating experience gained

For an encounter, add up the XP value of all monsters defeated in the encounter, then divide evenly among the party.

Away from book, but if the goblin is worth 50 XP, than the encounter XP is 6x50=300 XP, divided among 3 players for 100 XP each. Character level difference does not matter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It can get as general or as detailed as you like.

There are expanded rules for granular XP rewards like for successfully using class abilities, good RPG bonus, MVP player at the table(your group may vary), etc

Some even level up after every other session, or something like that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

As a general rule XP is divided evenly among all the participating members of the party.

• 6 goblins = 300 xp divided among the 3 players = 100xp each
    • Same session there's a social encounter successfully navigated. Only one party member is involved, you award 15xp to that player.
    • Later that session two of your players do something outside the scope of the events, however it has a major impact on the story, you award them 10xp each.

In the end you have 1 player who is awarded 100xp, one who has been awarded 110xp and another gaining 125xp.

There are 2 other options for awarding xp. First is to tally up all xp and at the end of the session divide xp up among all the participating players (those who are not present for the session earn nothing). This will keep everyone at the same XP total but does not really award players for individual feats and actions. Which is where you give out inspiration for those instances.

The other option is my personal favorite, where you award levels at milestone events. You choose when the players will level up, and just let them know that after/before the session they'll go up a level. This reduces xp chasing, and focuses on the game more. It doesn't award players for individual feats and actions, again inspiration will fill in that void.
    ~I have never met a man so ignorant I could learn nothing from him~ Galileo
    My Homebrew Class: Bard College of Etymology
    Dragons in the Dining Room (D&D Twitch Stream):
    Twitch | YouTube | Facebook | @DiningRoomDrgn | @DMThac0

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The bit you're specifically looking for is on P260 of the DMG.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG
    When adventurers defeat one or more monsters - typically by killing, routinig or capturing them - they divide the total XP value of the monsters evenly among themselves.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    For an encounter, add up the XP value of all monsters defeated in the encounter, then divide evenly among the party.

Away from book, but if the goblin is worth 50 XP, than the encounter XP is 6x50=300 XP, divided among 3 players for 100 XP each. Character level difference does not matter.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by ErHo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It can get as general or as detailed as you like.

There are expanded rules for granular XP rewards like for successfully using class abilities, good RPG bonus, MVP player at the table(your group may vary), etc

Some even level up after every other session, or something like that.
    Ah, using milestones, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Therverian View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a general rule XP is divided evenly among all the participating members of the party.

• 6 goblins = 300 xp divided among the 3 players = 100xp each
    • Same session there's a social encounter successfully navigated. Only one party member is involved, you award 15xp to that player.
    • Later that session two of your players do something outside the scope of the events, however it has a major impact on the story, you award them 10xp each.

In the end you have 1 player who is awarded 100xp, one who has been awarded 110xp and another gaining 125xp.

There are 2 other options for awarding xp. First is to tally up all xp and at the end of the session divide xp up among all the participating players (those who are not present for the session earn nothing). This will keep everyone at the same XP total but does not really award players for individual feats and actions. Which is where you give out inspiration for those instances.

The other option is my personal favorite, where you award levels at milestone events. You choose when the players will level up, and just let them know that after/before the session they'll go up a level. This reduces xp chasing, and focuses on the game more. It doesn't award players for individual feats and actions, again inspiration will fill in that void.
    Interesting. I'll probably use the first option, I think it will work with my players. Inspiration is definitely something I'll have to keep in mind.

Thanks for the help guys

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Contrast View Post
    The bit you're specifically looking for is on P260 of the DMG.
    Ah, thank you. Not sure how I missed that

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Easiest way is to take the adjusted XP for the Encounter Difficulty, and divide by number of players in that encounter. Since that's the most likely number you'll have handy in your notes anyway.