New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default And the Sun Shall Rise Once More: IC

Today, the sun rose. The mortals went about their business. They worked, ate, even laughed at times, though their jokes were cruder and laughs harsher than they used to be. But now, the sun has set. Clouds hide the moon. Darkness lays over the land. Torches light the streets in front of the homes of the wealthy, but the residents of The Temple are not wealthy. Those who live at the summit in the penthouses like to pretend, but they have only a fraction of true wealth, a mere taste of it, not a full meal.

But something worse than overbearing nobles stalks the streets. People disappear from their homes every night and everyone knows why, but no one does anything. Officially. But as of late, another plague is spreading through the veins and rotten arteries of the city. The corpses of the slain are getting back up, howling with rage and attacking anyone they see. It is for good reason that everyone keeps their doors locked at night.

As for you all, you have, for one reason or another, taken shelter in The Temple for the night. It is late. The midnight hour is almost here. And no one but the most powerful hunter would be out right now.

Where are you at this late hour? On the ground floor, a small group of men and women who can’t sleep play a game of cards in the common room. Down in the sub-levels, a small congregation gathers in a circle, whispering prayers to the ailing gods of Tecolo. And of course, your rooms are always open to you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: And the Sun Shall Rise Once More: IC

Atos could feel his god's pull with every step he took, it's resonance cascading up through his barefeet and shivering along his calves, drawing him ever onwards. The sun had been high and bright as he stepped out of the jungle but now, hours later, as he treaded indomitably forward through the packed-earth streets towards the source the call, darkness spread over everything. The flickering torches at the entrance to the Temple cast a fitful light over the hulking figure that emerged from the shadows, its green, almost crystalline, eyes reflecting a pitiless glare. He walks straight past the attendant at the door and heads directly for the passages leading ever downward underneath the ziggurat-***-tenement.

With every foot beneath the earth, Atos feels the resonance grow stronger, his purpose more clear. He begins to hear whispers in his mind which grow to a thrum of chanting as he approaches a door. He shoulders it open unceremoniously, shattering the rotten wood into pieces as he stoops into the crowded room. Shocked and fearful faces look up at him as they inch backwards towards the walls. There is no way out. Atos unlimbers the massive stone-headed weapon strapped to his back and brings it down to the earth in a controlled impact. Where it strikes the ground, the dirt cracks, and a rumble issues through the basement ritual room and up through the foundations of The Temple and outward into the city. It is an announcement and invitation both. In a voice like grinding rocks and uprooted trees, the figure speaks

You have called to the Gods of this Land. I am their Answer.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-06-27 at 11:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Mevrin stood in the corner of the main room, her eyes scanning the rest of the patrons with suspicion and dread. Any of them could be dead before the sun rose tomorrow, including herself. She wouldn't die, she'd clung to tenaciously to life to give up now. She'd stay huddled in this h*llhole for a few weeks, make some odd cash one way or another, and board a ship destined for elsewhere. Anywhere but here, she never wanted to see this jungle wasteland or the people, the monsters, that ran it ever again. She bundled her scarf closer to herself, the chill of the night starting to set in. She barred her teeth at anyone that approached, a snarling horned mass usually set people away. If it didn't, she could always use her magic on them. She didn't want to kill anyone down here, not unless they wished that fate on her. Just a scare tactic, nothing more. Mevrin had never killed before, and would never dream of it. All this magic she studied while under the heel of a vampire, the blades she had sewn into her scarf, all of these were just for defense.

Just for defense.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Selena sits in a corner of the common room, coat drawn around her, her only belongings in the pack tucked close by her side. She was still reeling from the last few days, the desperate flight... but that was all behind her for the moment.

Although she was now presented with a second set of problems. She had a way of putting a bit of force behind her words, making people do what she asked, which had fortunately worked on the catfolk who ran this impromptu tenement. It had only bought her a week, though--which meant it had only delayed the issue. She was still stuck in a city with no money, no contacts, and not many skills which she could use to actually pay for her room when it came due in a week's time. Perhaps she could look up that silversmith Arim had talked about who lived in town...

She should sleep. She should get some rest, clear her mind... the last few days had been a blur, catching only snatches of sleep, constantly on edge for any signs of pursuit or other dangers in the jungle. She finally had a bed and relative safety, and she needed to rest both body and mind, but she just couldn't calm down enough. So instead she sat, contemplating her next move.

It was then that Atos stormed in and headed to the lower levels. She sat up, watching the stranger like most of the others still awake. She had no idea what he was... and there he was, openly carrying a weapon? That was bold, or foolish. She glanced to the handle of her own warhammer, sticking up from her pack and wrapped in canvas to conceal it. As the others returned to their cards or drinks, she picked up her pack and quietly followed the strange looking fellow, if nothing else to satisfy her own curiosity.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

5. - Top - End - #5

The assembled worshippers rise to their feet, first in alarm and then in awe. None of them have seen anything like Atos before. Few of them expected their prayers for a savior to be answered in such a literal way. They approach slowly, timidly. They do not expect treachery, but they are unsure how this vessel of divine will wishes them to treat him.

An older man steps forth from the crowd and holds out a hand, halting the approach of the others. His face is a mass of wrinkles and a beard trailing down his chest and over his belt. He leans heavily on a staff. "Welcome, lord," he says, "Come. Sit by our fire. If you eat, we shall bring you food and water. It is poor fare, but the best we have."

---

The tenants around Mevrin are mostly human, though dwarf sits at the card table and two catfolk talk in quiet tones near the fire. However, a single man seems less interested in the others and more interested in her. He not-so-subtly chooses a seat close to her and glances her way occasionally. He offers her a soft, nervous smile if she catches him looking. He seems to be working up his courage to ask something.

The the living monolith storms through. Every head turns and watches him go, but no one says anything. No one dares question odd happenings anymore. Nervous, the card players turn back to their game. The young man shivers and looks at Mevrin again. The sound of the door to the basement splintering makes him wince.

"Well," he pipes up, addressing Mevrin, "That's something, isn't it? Don't see that every day."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Sirius was trying his hand at the cards. He was no great bluffer - at least, he didn't seem to be, which was the entire idea - but he had a lucky turn now and again. He hadn't made any money, but he hadn't lost any, either, managing to win enough to break even as he passed the time.

Truth was, he probably could have been doing better, but he wasn't wholly focused on the game. Instead, his mind wandered to far more important matters. How was he going to establish himself here? How was he going to reach out to old contacts without endangering them or himself? Which of those contacts could be trusted...? Someone had turned his name over to the wrong people, after all.

Those thoughts were all interrupted when a looming figure barged in through the front door. Well, now... that's not something that happened every day. Sirius was grateful that they'd just finished up a game, because it gave him the chance to excuse himself from the table. With little word to anyone else, he followed the hulking stranger downstairs, curiosity getting the better of him as he slipped into the room with the worshipers of the old gods.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to try and sneak in and look as unassuming as possible, so...
    Stealth - (1d20+7)[24]
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    The assembled worshippers rise to their feet, first in alarm and then in awe. None of them have seen anything like Atos before. Few of them expected their prayers for a savior to be answered in such a literal way. They approach slowly, timidly. They do not expect treachery, but they are unsure how this vessel of divine will wishes them to treat him.

An older man steps forth from the crowd and holds out a hand, halting the approach of the others. His face is a mass of wrinkles and a beard trailing down his chest and over his belt. He leans heavily on a staff. "Welcome, lord," he says, "Come. Sit by our fire. If you eat, we shall bring you food and water. It is poor fare, but the best we have."
    Atos kneels to the elder and reaches out his spade-like hand to place it on the old man's chest. You are the best we have, One Who Holds to the Old Ways. I am named Atos and in the name of the Primals I will accept what food and water you have to spare and share your flame. He channels a bit of power through his touch (casting Virtue on the elder) so that he may feel the touch of the Primals.

The warpriest then turns to the assembled, narrowing his eyes briefly at those he may notice who followed him down from the main level. I am no Lord. Tonight, those who would style themselves as such meet the beginning of their end. Tell me what you will of the heretic Bloodlords and I swear to avenge upon them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The tenants around Mevrin are mostly human, though dwarf sits at the card table and two catfolk talk in quiet tones near the fire. However, a single man seems less interested in the others and more interested in her. He not-so-subtly chooses a seat close to her and glances her way occasionally. He offers her a soft, nervous smile if she catches him looking. He seems to be working up his courage to ask something.

The the living monolith storms through. Every head turns and watches him go, but no one says anything. No one dares question odd happenings anymore. Nervous, the card players turn back to their game. The young man shivers and looks at Mevrin again. The sound of the door to the basement splintering makes him wince.

"Well," he pipes up, addressing Mevrin, "That's something, isn't it? Don't see that every day."
    Mevrin held her scarf closer to herself when she first saw him sit down, but made careful not to look at him too much. Maybe he didn't care a twig for her, maybe she was just being paranoid. Paranoia killed the ca- did he just smile at her? She seemed to shrink more, and began to look for ways to leave. She was still trying to look for a decent exit strategy when he spoke to her. She sharply intakes breath in surprise, blinking a few times before looking at him with a furrowed brow.

Y-yeah. Weird, Mevrin manages to reply back.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Selena's eyebrows raised. The stranger had answered her question about being bold or foolish--both. The vampires had eyes and ears everywhere, to simply stroll into a group of strangers and state those kinds of intentions so openly was a good way to disappear in the middle of the night and never be seen again. Then again, they seemed to believe to have the power of the ancient gods on their side... maybe there was something to the bravado after all.

Still, the situation was precarious enough that Selena didn't really want to be seen in the midst of it, just in case. She would sit up, keep an eye out, and perhaps try to talk with the stranger when there were fewer potentially unfriendly eyes about. She turns to head back to the common room, and pauses when she sees someone else quietly moving to follow the stranger. For a moment her fight or flight instincts kick in, but then... She'd been turning over the description in her head of the dwarf they'd brought those slaves from the caravan they raided, and this fellow fit nearly to a T. Cautiously, she sidled over a bit closer.

"Excuse me," she whispered, keeping her head lowered so the brim of her hat obscured her eyes and much of her face--just in case. "Do you know where I could find a silversmith in town? I've got a silver sparrow that's lost its wing." That was the code phrase Arim had given the ones sent to make contact--if he was the one, hopefully he'd recognize it.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

10. - Top - End - #10

Sirius slips away from his game, finding no protest, and slips inside the room, unmarked and unnoticed, save by a single woman who sidles up and gives him a very interesting opening line. She is fair, but such things can be deceiving nowadays.

The elder, despite Atos assurances, can barely contain the joy and awe in his eyes. "Of course, of course. Come, out here is not the place to talk of such things. Come further away from prying eyes. I can speak to the loyalty of my kind, but it seems we have attracted some other eyes." He nods to the small crowd peering down from above, trying to hear what they are talking about without getting themselves in danger.

----

The man smiles again, a weak smile, and extends a stiff hand. "Thomas," he says softly, "I...I don't mean to intrude, but would you care for a, er, drink?"

However, as he speaks, another figure storms through the common room: Chix Firepaw, the owner of the whole establishment. He's a burly man with broad shoulders and thick arms, though an equally thick belly, probably from his many rich meals. The tawny-furred catfolk looks at the busted door and his face contorts into rage.

"What by the Abyss is this?" he screeches. His eyes rove wildly, "Who did this? Which if you Kist-eaters did this?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Mevrin's taken aback for a few seconds. This Thomas person didn't seem to want to murder her, quite the opposite. She regained her composure and shook his hand, a look of confusion in her eyes. She looked at him up and down, and asks as she points to her horns, You want a drink with me? Why? Doesn't this scare you?
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2019-06-29 at 07:20 PM. Reason: conciseness

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Sirius quirks his brow slightly at the woman, and in similar fashion, the right side of his mouth quirks upwards as well. Bold, he thinks, for the woman to approach him here, in a crowded place. But then again, the attention wasn't on them, was it? No, it was more on the conspicuous stranger - that, or on Chix, who Sirius could hear bellowing despite being on a separate floor from the catfolk.

Nonetheless, he kept his own attention on the woman before him. "The sparrow seeks the stars," he responded. The coded reply that was a bit of a play on his own name - Sirius, a god, naturally had a constellation named after him in the heavens, as well. The name was given to both a god and a star. And it was the silversmith's, as well. "And you've found one, my dear." He hums, looking a bit wistfully at the departing group of what amounted to little more than cultists, these days. He was curious about their goings-on, wished to know more... but this woman had been seeking him, and he felt duty called him more than curiosity. So he turned his gaze away from the group, and back to her. "Shall we have a drink upstairs, my dear? Or perhaps, in a more private space? Not that my quarters provide much protection from prying ears, but with Chix shouting as he does, I expect the attention will not turn our way should we slip through," he offers.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

The elder, despite Atos assurances, can barely contain the joy and awe in his eyes. "Of course, of course. Come, out here is not the place to talk of such things. Come further away from prying eyes. I can speak to the loyalty of my kind, but it seems we have attracted some other eyes." He nods to the small crowd peering down from above, trying to hear what they are talking about without getting themselves in danger.
    If that is what you wish, Elder, I shall step into the shadows with you. Then looking at the other people who had crowded in behind Atos' coming, he sweeps his hand towards them and beckons them closer. These, too, are allies in the fight against the Bloodlords. We must all of us join together. See them speak of silver, the star's light captured in earth. It is a sign that we share the same foe.

14. - Top - End - #14

The young man's bravery and fortitude, such as it is, seems to falter. He grows nervous, looking down and fidgeting. "W-well," he begins, voice steadily rising and growing more nervous, "in my studies, I...er. There's no polite way to say this, I'm afraid. I thought someone of your...heritage would be more willing to engage in certain activities, butIseeIwasmistakensoI'lljustgoonmywaynow. Thanksforyourtimeseeyouround."

He rises and makes to dart off to some corner and die of embarrassment. However, he looks over and sees the landlord still ranting and raving loudly near the exit. He has nowhere to go.

---

The 'cultists' slip away, faith reaffirmed and rejoicing. Sirius and Selena are left with only a rapidly dispersing crowd. No one particularly wants to be in Chix's way when he comes storming down.

And storm he does. Cats are known for their light step, but he seems to be taking extra effort to make each paw slam down into the creaky old stairs, making them wobble in a disconcerting manner. He glowers at the people still in the immediate vicinity and hisses, "Someone owes me an explanation."

---

A mere few rooms over, in the lowest, worst tenements of the entire place, the Elder sits with Atos. Children crowd around him, openly in awe and trying to touch his stony skin, despite the subtle and not-so-subtle protests of their parents. The Elder, however, smiles at the sight. He gestures to the dingy room, sparsely furnished but filled with scrolls and writing implements. "Welcome to my home," he says simply.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The image of Thomas running away was enough to make Mevrin laugh. He wasn't some would be murderer, he was just some hopeless doofus. A doofus who made a promise of free alcohol, and Mevrin had a thirst. She stood up, drawing her scarf around her shoulders, and moved to the boy, keeping close to the walls, and making sure she had a view of everyone. Just because she wanted a few shots didn't mean her paranoia had vanished. She held her amused expression, and retorted, I'm about as open to... those kinds of activities with strangers as the next person is, but if you're buying drinks, I'll join you. I make no promises to anything beyond that, though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Selena lets out a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding in. What were the odds? Especially in a place like this--didn't the smith live in town? What was he doing in a place like this? No matter, they could figure that out later. "Yes, somewhere a bit more private. Too many ears up here." She sticks to the corners as Chix storms past, doing her best not to attract attention. She starts to follow the dwarf, but lingers a bit--she wants to know what has Chix this fired up.

Show
    To be clear, Chix isn't confronting anyone in the party directly, yes? I got the impression he stormed off past Selena and Sirius and is currently shouting at the people downstairs. Is that correct?

-----

17. - Top - End - #17

Planetar

A mere few rooms over, in the lowest, worst tenements of the entire place, the Elder sits with Atos. Children crowd around him, openly in awe and trying to touch his stony skin, despite the subtle and not-so-subtle protests of their parents. The Elder, however, smiles at the sight. He gestures to the dingy room, sparsely furnished but filled with scrolls and writing implements. "Welcome to my home," he says simply.
    Atos can't help but loom in the cramped quarters, but he did not mind the reverence of the children. With their awe, their prayers, he could feel a *thrum* of the Spirits. He touches his hand to his forehead and nods at the Elder. My thanks. How many of hold the worship still of the Primals? And what allies might we have? Guide me, Elder. I am our faith's weapon, but the weapon requires wielding.

18. - Top - End - #18

Thomas starts when he sees her behind him again. Her words, however, draw forth a weak smile. His head bobs eagerly. "Right, right. No promises. That's only fair. Um, there is a place around the corner, but I don't think it would be wise to talk around at this hour. So, uh, if you'd be so kind, wait right here and I'll go see what I can find from my room."

----

Chix is, indeed, not confronting anyone in particular. His blazing eyes, however, are looking eagerly for a target to vent his mounting wrath upon. If the two conspirators wish to avoid attracting that attention, they will need to employ their skills in slipping away unseen and unnoticed.

Spoiler
    Show
    In other words, if you want to get away without engaging Chix, it's time for a stealth check from both of you.

----

The elder shakes his head sadly. "Too few, my friend. Too few now. Many of our young have fallen away, either taken in the night or having the hope beat out of them during the day. When they return to us, bitterness and despair flower where faith and hope once bloomed. Those you see here are the largest congregation yet in the city, though smaller ones keep the faith in their own way here and there."

"We have tried to strike before. We sought to break the daytime power of the vampires, their troops and minions. We knew we had no hope of facing them at night. But for us, the hobgoblins and other thralls were too strong, too well organized. And now we are scattered." He sighs. "I'm afraid that the weapon of the gods must first defend its wielder from a death blow."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I'll be waiting in my corner spot you found me in, don't keep me waiting, Mevrin chuckled, the kid's jittering hopelessness was humerous, even a little cute. She wondered how good his liquor stash was as she walked back to where she started, sitting down in her paranoia corner as she did so.

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

"We have tried to strike before. We sought to break the daytime power of the vampires, their troops and minions. We knew we had no hope of facing them at night. But for us, the hobgoblins and other thralls were too strong, too well organized. And now we are scattered." He sighs. "I'm afraid that the weapon of the gods must first defend its wielder from a death blow."
    It is enough, your faith has summoned me and I will defend you. It is the purpose for which I was made. What would you have me do, Elder? Are there more of us that could be made safe? These foes, the thralls, they can be beaten, yes?

21. - Top - End - #21

Sirius and Selena move to slip away unseen. Maybe it's his height, but Sirius has a much easier time of it. He gets up the stairs with no problem. Selena, however, is stopped dead in her tracks by the irate shout of, "And where do you think you're going?" Chix storms towards her, cutting through the small crowd. "The one who flees is the one responsible, yes?" A low hiss comes from his throat and his claws are unsheathed. Though no great fighter, he is not in a good mood and he has quite a lot of muscle for his kind, who are normally so lithe.

---

Meanwhile, upstairs, Mevrin does not have to wait long. Her maybe-date comes back in a flash, a bottle of cheap wine in his hand. He looks so proud of it, though it is very poor stuff. Still, it is alcohol. "It's the same stuff we give to the patients before we work on them, but it'll do the trick," he says, "Would you...like some?"

---

The elder strokes his beard for a long moment, debating. "Tonight," he declares, "We will conceal you. Let the blood-drinkers and their spawn hear only rumors. Maybe they will remember what it is like to be nervous. But tomorrow, we will go to the Sasma's dwelling. She commands the respect of many in the eastern part of the city. Even those who have fallen away listen to her and might be drawn back into the fold should she come out in favor of our cause."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, you're a medic then? That's good to know if I get cut open, Mevrin chuckled. She extended a hand as she continued, I'd love some, thank you.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Selena closes her eyes. By the fires above, why did he have to single me out?Attention was the last thing she needed. "Just making my way back to the rooms," she replies calmly and evenly--evasiveness or bluster would only set him off more, she feared. Best to remain cool but firm. "It's been a long day. I'm not sure what you are upset about, but perhaps I can help you right whatever it is?" Hopefully she could smooth over the old cat's temper and extricate herself quickly.

Show
    Not resorting to magic, yet at least.

Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[26]

-----

24. - Top - End - #24

"Y-yes, well," the man blushes, "Most of the priests left in this city don't do healing. So we have to resort to medical practices. Medicines, tonics, and stitches. A sort of science, if you will. I'm only an apprentice at the moment, but Dr. Radalbast says I show great promise."

He pours them both a glass and hands one to Mevrin. "And now I've bored you," he says with a wry, self-deprecating chuckle.

---

Chix hesitates, looking at her, studying her calm face and even demeanor. He snarls and moves off with a wave of his paw. "Whatever," he mutters, "Not worth hassle. Door needed fixing anyway."

He glowers at the small crowd. "Well? What are you staring at? Hmm? Show's over! Go sleep or something. Too late for you to be up. You have work tomorrow, hmm? Earn gold so you can pay me?" The crowd silently begins to disperse. If there was a time to leave, now would be it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

The elder strokes his beard for a long moment, debating. "Tonight," he declares, "We will conceal you. Let the blood-drinkers and their spawn hear only rumors. Maybe they will remember what it is like to be nervous. But tomorrow, we will go to the Sasma's dwelling. She commands the respect of many in the eastern part of the city. Even those who have fallen away listen to her and might be drawn back into the fold should she come out in favor of our cause."
    Atos nods slowly and shifts his grip on his massive hammer, small motes of dust dancing off and drifting softly in the low firelight. Tonight it is, then, Elder. And when the sun rises, we go to Sams and impress upon her the power of this land is yet alive.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Y-yes, well," the man blushes, "Most of the priests left in this city don't do healing. So we have to resort to medical practices. Medicines, tonics, and stitches. A sort of science, if you will. I'm only an apprentice at the moment, but Dr. Radalbast says I show great promise."

He pours them both a glass and hands one to Mevrin. "And now I've bored you," he says with a wry, self-deprecating chuckle.
    It's not boring, work's a good thing to be proud of if you're good at it, and if you've got some doctor's eye I'd say that's an achievement, Mereth thought aloud, drinking some of the liquor. She had to get used to the kick for a moment, blinking a bit. She eyed the bottle suspiciously as she commented, Damn, this stuff cuts right to the bone, doesn't it?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

As Chix orders the crowd to disperse, Sirius puts his hand on Selena's elbow, giving her a gentle nudge and an inclination of his head to indicate that she should follow him. The dwarf leads his way up to the room he calls his own - thanks to his previous occupation, he was able to afford more private quarters instead of a bunk in a large, open room. It should be private enough in here to discuss whatever Selena wants discussing.
    "So, then," he says, leaning back against the door once the girl is inside. "What do you need?"

28. - Top - End - #28

The Elder claps his hands together. "Then let us rest, and tomorrow we shall..."

A man pushes his way into the room. "Elder!" And to Atos, he adds respectfully, "Savior. The landlord, Chix, is coming this way."

The Elder mutters a curse. "My friend," he says gravely, "If the cat discovers the truth, he will sell us all out to the vampires for the mere sniff of gold. Tell me, how well can you imitate a statue?"

----

He chuckles. "Well, I think that would be the surgical knife, but this is a close approximation, yes." He also takes a good swig of the stuff, but seems more accustomed to it than she is. He doesn't react beyond a slight tightening of the muscles in his neck and tilt of his chin. "Fortunately, we haven't had as many patients as of late. Doesn't do wonders for the coinpurse, but it means people are taking better care of themselves, which is always good."

The card players get up and retire for the night, bidding each other farewell. For now, they are the only two in the common room.

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

The Elder mutters a curse. "My friend," he says gravely, "If the cat discovers the truth, he will sell us all out to the vampires for the mere sniff of gold. Tell me, how well can you imitate a statue?"
    I will do what is required of me, Elder. Atos walks to a corner of the room, as close to the walls as possible and then reaches out to the stone on either side of him. His hands sink into the walls, his wrists melding with the rock. Atos flexes and the walls stretch and pull together in front of him.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Casting Stone Shield to try to hide behind an improvised wall. Fills a five foot square so I think I could be able to use it to hide a little.
    Stealth - (1d20)[7] + whatever bonus

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Selena follows the dwarf off into the crowd, keeping an eye out for anyone who might have been paying a bit too much attention to the conversation and her movements. There probably wasn't anything to worry about, but a little paranoia went a long way towards keeping one alive in this line of work. The doors and walls of Sirius' room were a bit too thin for her liking, but they should at least block out low conversation, and just to be sure she did a quick scan of the room, calling on divine forces to open her senses to the presence of any magical listening spells.

She sat down on the foot of the bed, collecting her thoughts before she began. "We were discovered. I've got no idea how, but they found out where we were camped. The d-mned hobgoblins came for us in the night. Arim--you know him, right? He said he'd worked with you before, set up the meeting when we hit that slave caravan a few months back--he's dead. Probably. He and a few of the others stayed back, told the rest of us to run. Scatter. I didn't actually see them go down, but I can't imagine how any of them would've survived, as many as there were." The alternative option--that he'd been captured alive--was too horrible to contemplate. "I managed to give them the slip. I don't know if anybody else did." She trailed off, the reality sinking in. She had come here to try and rebuild, make contact, but if she was the only one left--was it even possible?

Selena shook her head. That was a question for later. "I hope if some of the others made it out they'll make their way here. But in the meantime, I'm looking for a way to earn some coin--I managed to convince Chix to let me stay here a week before I paid him, but I don't think that will work again. And most of my skills won't really be in demand in a place like this," she said with a wry smile.

-----