New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default I made a spell book IRL!

I saw a this post while back that inspired me to try and make my own spell book for when i play a caster! Here's the result:)

The cards are based on the dnd 5e spell cards but i made some slight changes to accommodate my wishes:)
    Hope you like it!
    Last edited by Hellstick; 2018-04-29 at 05:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: I made a spell book IRL!

That is quite interesting, can you try it on a random made character to display what it looks like?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good work!
    Made a few of them for LARPs, makes it all a bit more fun.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Cool stuff! Did you think about selling?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, your custom spell book is amazing! I love it! Did you think about spreading it? My friends are high key interested in this book. Making a business of it? Or is it just for fun and pleasure?
    Last edited by roybigley; 2018-06-13 at 07:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
    That is quite interesting, can you try it on a random made character to display what it looks like?
    I'm not interely sure I understand your question. The pictures kinda do show what it looks like with "a randome character". Simply swap some different spell cards into the card sleeve pages and you can use it for a new character:)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesForeCast View Post
    Cool stuff! Did you think about selling?
    Quote Originally Posted by roybigley View Post
    Wow, your custom spell book is amazing! I love it! Did you think about spreading it? My friends are high key interested in this book. Making a business of it? Or is it just for fun and pleasure?
    I did indeed concider selling but I have no experience in that kind of stuff. Admitedly, it would be fun to have an excuse to do more projects like this, but I'm not sure people would be willing to pay enough for it to be worthwhile for me. Leather is expensive you know? And I live in denmark so shipping costs probably aren't too cheap either. Add the fact that the current version is made be rebinding a pokemon card binder, which I'm not entirely sure if it's legal to resell...
    The pokemon card binder thing does work pretty well as a segway to something interesting though: I'm working on a version 2.0 that hopefully circumvent the problem with using the pokemon binder as a base. This is cool because I should have more artistic freedom, and can avoid some of the details i dislike about the binder. It should also give me a much cleaner look and hopefully a better result overall:)
    I'll make sure to post pictures of that too, once that's done!

In either case I'm curious to hear what you guys think would be a fair price for something like this (with and without shipping) :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lynch View Post
    Remember that as a wizard, you are also a researcher. During your travels and adventures, you are attempting to unlock new powers and abilities. This should be reflected in the book. Notes on how NOT to cast it (unless you want to blow yourself up), scribbles about ideal spell components, rough outlines on how different words and stresses affect the spell, reports on how subtly different movements have slight effects on the spell... And don't forget fluff, such as how to contact your character when the spellbook is found, what (if any) reward they get for returning it, decorations, scorch marks on pages describing fire spells, water marks on pages describing cold spells...
    That would have to do with the spellcards though, and not the spell book itself;)
    It’s difinitively something to keep in mind for any dnd related project though! Who is to say I can’t think in that frame of mind when making the book cover itself? Is the edges of the cover burned? How weathered is the book? Is it in prestige condition or rather visibly used. Does it have have book marks sowen into the spine and if so how many and what colour are they? How is the cover decorated? Does it have a centerpiece? Does it have buckles keeping it closed? What kind of metal corner protectors is use (if any)? There is is so many aspects to keep in mind and your post serves as a cool inspiration, so thanks a lot for throwing in you 2 cents:)