New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: For Glory

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default For Glory

The world is in trouble- someone needs to save it frommmm.... Well, something, but of course we all know that the heroes will return triumphant. The problem is, the mighty four that have gathered to fight the evils that plight the land all want to come away with the most recognition- A righteous paladin, a charming bard, a secret warlock, and a cunning rogue make plans to spread word of how "I alone" carried the day to victory with the others doing their best but falling short. What tales would you spin to impress all the land if you were one of these heroes, and more importantly, how would your tale depict your """allies""" being bested?

Spoiler
    Show
    bonus points for the warlock casting burning hands on you. Or if you are the warlock, casting burning hands on one of the others.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: For Glory

Let someone else take all the credit then steal their identity afterwards?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Save the world, then kill them all immediately afterwards. Tell a tale of their heroic but tragic fall and how you stood alone against the darkness and triumphed where they failed. Bonus points if you actually sacrificed them to a great old one to get some far plane cred as well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    Save the world, then kill them all immediately afterwards. Tell a tale of their heroic but tragic fall and how you stood alone against the darkness and triumphed where they failed. Bonus points if you actually sacrificed them to a great old one to get some far plane cred as well.
    pretty good, but did you use burning hands to kill them all?
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Burning hands was the spell used by the demon to slay the lot of the once-was adventurers (and totally not the spell that you used to burn them alive horribly, as sacrifice to the Great Old One). All who’ve read the tale know how the demon had loved the use of the Burning Hands - It was the only spell he cast, and it was the spell that led to his downfall by our mysterious vigilante Warlock, whose name shall be celebrated for centuries to come!
    “I have cold resistance. I’m wearing clothes.”

Awesome avatar made by Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

As the bard, I would pledge to spread the tale far and wide, using every effort to compose an epic worthy of the ages, in which my companions would be praised and their names immortalized as they deserved. (I might omit to mention that "as they deserved" equals "not at all"...).
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.