New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Masks: The Worst Generation (IC)

Nuisance
    Conditions: None

As Hive dismissed Sarah's concerns over her behavior, Sarah's gaze couldn't help but follow the trail of blue nanites as they wound around, up, and over Hive's shoulders. They jerked about almost angrily even as the chrome hero maintained her usual cool composure. It was almost like a tail, flicking in agitation. Whatever this was, it wasn't just some weird stage fright.

Did Hive even get stage fright?

Sarah opened her mouth to say something when Drake flopped down next to them, opened a can of soda, and proceeded to smash into the conversation with the grace of a hammer. She shot him an incredulous look, but something about the way he threw shade at Alex made the scene of their fight at the stadium play in her head again. Alex had sent Drake through the bleachers with a solid headbutt, and while Drake was largely unhurt by the exchange, it seemed not everything had been forgiven between her two friends. Sarah could only glance nervously back and forth between Hive and Drake as they began verbally testing each other. Also, either the room had gotten colder, or Sam's nanites were really running unchecked.

It was time to jump in before things got out of hand.

"I don't know what Drake's talking about with Alex, but he is right about one thing. We're a team. Like with Rook and the Snow Snake...We always fight stuff together, right?" Sarah slid a glass of whatever that not-water stuff was over to where Sam was sitting. "I mean, this situation is really weird, sure, but it's not...It's..."

Finding the words to mediate was always difficult. Moreso since Sarah had never been good with these kinds of situations in the first place. Fights between people who were supposed to like each other was something far beyond her comfort zone, and Sarah felt herself shiver. It was too reminiscent of a person she'd rather not think about. Of course, not that this exchange was anything near a "fight", but the situation seemed to be growing tense in a most unnecessary way. Sarah just wanted to hang out with her friends and enjoy a party while it lasted, but Hive was completely out of sorts and Drake was either oblivious or completely unsympathetic to his less-famous teammates. At this rate, the evening was beginning to look rather terrifying.

These were her two most unflappable friends. Flapped. Completely flapped, and she didn't even know what had happened.

"What I mean is," Sarah tried to continue, "Alex isn't here right now. I...know you two hang out together the most. I mean, I think you do. You held hands a lot when you visited my shop, so...I know Drake and I might not be as close, uh, to you, but we're still here. For you. If it's something you can't tell us, then that's...that's ok, I guess. I mean, I don't have to pry into it. I want to, but I trust you. I mean, sort of; I know it's not just jitters and all that. But if it's something that we could...that I could possibly help with, I want to. You've helped me more times than I can count, Sam, but you've never let me return the favor. You don't have to be alone at this party, alright? We're all here. Why not just...have some fun?"

She tried flashing a wide grin towards Hive, but her nerves made it slant awkwardly. Saying all of that was really more embarrassing than she'd anticipated, and Sarah was once again glad that her mask covered her increasingly reddening cheekbones.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sarah got an 8 on her Comfort and Support roll, so Hive can clear a condition, mark potential, or shift her labels if she decides to open up.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-02-13 at 01:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Potential: 4/5
    Doom: 1/5
    Conditions: Afraid, Insecure, Guilty

Sam half-turns to see Sarah out of the corner of her eye. She's trying to smooth things over, like the lovely, dorky, nice person Nuisance is, unlike the other two people in the room. So Hive doesn't quite look at her, because her left-over anger is being re-heated in the microwave, thick and steaming hot.

Still glaring at Drake, she reaches for the water Sarah offers her with one steel fist, curls her hand around the slightly ridged glass, tightens grip slightly, and raises it towards her lips, shedding a spray of glimmering fragments across the plush seat and spotlessly clean carpet. Her empty hand comes most of the way up to her mouth, before she focuses on the shattered remnants of the glass, and the spreading stain on the floor.

"F***"

Hive glares at the mess, before swearing a few times more for emphasis. "F***-f***-f***!" Her hands are shaking, she realises, glaring down at them, and stilling them with an effort.

She bends over, carefully picking shards out of the carpet and neatly piling them up on one of the little tables that seem to be tastefully arranged around the room. Also, making a little pyramid of the smashed glass makes avoiding her teammates eyes just that little bit easier. Descending in a cloud, her nanites gather around her shoulders like a veil, a few tendrils settling on the carpet to hoover away the moisture. A small cloud of steam rises from the floor, and Sam sighs, stacking another fragment on the pile with a click.

"I..." She says slowly, eyes still firmly fixed on the floor. "Look, before I came here, I was at the Chill." A statement like that can hardly be left to hang on its own, so she elaborates, picking up another piece and stacking it up. "Lan had suggested I meet someone, because he knew where something was. A key, that she thought the people who summoned all the elementals were looking for."

Click, as another shard joins the mound, like the heaped skulls of the world's lamest conqueror. "I thought it would be - not easy, but not that bad. He couldn't hurt me, I thought."

Click

"But now I have, and I'm not sure I understand what's going on anymore." Sam grimaces, and faces facts, gathering up the last few pieces from the floor. "I'm pretty sure no one does, now."

Click

"And that's kinda scary - so I am. Scared. It's not about Alex."

Click

Show
    Sam's going to open up, albeit in a round-about way, by revealing one of her many secrets. If this counts as revealing a weakness or vulnerability, let me know and we can resolve that too. She'll clear Angry, which just leaves her with Insecure, Guilty and Afraid
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2019-02-14 at 03:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Any further discussion is curbed. A chime sounds, the television's channel changes to a pre-recorded announcement. The moment you'd all waited for has finally come. The Gala is about to begin. Cindersnap is soon to hurry into the room to collect you, not at all as collected as she was but any chance to ask or pry is further swept along with you out into another hallway. You join the throng of people all hurried to where the festivities are about to go down.

The Auditorium is packed as you’d imagine, and as meticulously managed and segregated as you’d expect. Someone, or probably many someones, took a lot of time and care on who sat where considering the various rivalries and not so secret dalliances. The Warlords and their cotire are grouped tightly though a number of well known heroes ring them. It is by design that these heroes are regarded as some of the most combat capable in all of San Fransapporo. There are the Dino Rangers of course, grouped around Trecera Noir, and the Monsoon Knights not stationed at the various exists in their gleaming armor. Within this grouping of course are the Warlords themselves, at least the ones present. The Warrior sits at the heart of it all in his crimson armor looking much like a giant stag beetle in its traditional Japanese style. An empty seat is next to him, the Rogue said to be in attendance though considering the news it is not at all surprising

Sitting next to that seat is Sirius, dark green hair held into a tight ponytail. A well known name in the teenage villain scene, Sirius is dressed in a form hugging black Qipao and wears a black rabbit’s mask to obscure her true identity. The White Wolf and Wenzhou the Lion are sat in front of such large names, flanked by a cadre of other famous villains. It’s not all villains however in the Warlord’s section, the faces of regular civilians of various means are spattered throughout though an artistic touch blanks out many of their faces so the panel appears as a wall of bodies without many features save for the few important people who stand out all the more distinctly.

The next group seems to be the Guardians and the Weather Report, all sat together. Jin the Chickadee and Lightbringer sit side by side, speaking in hushed tones as Carmine Crane sits with many of the other Guardians in attendance. They’re all front seats of course, the premiere heroes of the city having the best seats. A few faces however are all the more noticable by their absence however.

The first is Wukong, a Guardian to be sure but not amongst their numbers. On the contrary, Wukong is on one of the higher private booths with his free shadows, the Sisters, and a few other prominent businessmen. Charles Castermere, CEO of Hexxen Corp based on Bear Island, Richard Tulemere of the San Fransapporo Institute of Technology and several young and much too clean people in E-Corp outfits watch from above. Second is the press. John Daily Booth is nowhere to be seen even if other members of the Fourth Pillar are upfront and near the stage. The panels however do not reveal who's been left out as sfx symbols cover the panels.

The sounds are easy enough to source, the Monsoon itself the center of a full page spread already revealed and unfurled as smaller boxes show the entire building move. As if from a sci-fi film the Monsoon in panel by panel shots begins to move and shift, its outer walls breaking apart to reveal the core of the structure intact. These large sections of the building, like seperate buildings all their own, form up in an impressive display to form “branches” until the entire structure bears more resemblance to a Sakura Tree than any man made structure of its size ever ought to.

The next page, or two pages, is a spread. Giant glowing cherry blossom leaves and flowers erupt in illusory pink and rose hues to finish the display. The “trunk” of the Monsoon itself begins to alight with bright orange and yellow lights, as if the whole thing were in some grand conflagration. As if the tree it so desperately wants to appear to be was struck by some magnificent bolt of lighting. The panels slowly pane back to the auditorium which has now become an outdoor pavilion overlooking the main convention hall. Drones carrying orange, red and yellow lanterns wizz about within the convention hall and some slowly join the packed seats to shine their warm illumination throughout.

The panels continue to descend back into the crowd once more, finally resting on the one group of interest left out before such a beautiful display. The Stormchasers. One would expect such a vital group to this whole event would be given some choice seats but Hive and Zodiac, and an empty seat for Nuisance, are instead smack dab in the center of it all. The seat is not empty long however as John Daily Booth manages to struggle through the faceless masses to sit with you. “I need to speak to you.” he hisses loudly, just enough to be heard over the low murmur of conversation as The Monsoon finishes its transformation. “It’s a set up, your friend is walking into a…” He’s cut off as speakers pop to life and lights on the stage proper flick to life.

The stage itself is cluttered, appearing as a giant mountain rent in twain. On stage right and stage left are several seats. Nuisance is sat amongst the small number of VIP attendees caught between The Queen of Moonshadow and King of Sunlight, the democratically elected leaders of the Monsoon. Liu the Robin sits on the other side of the stage with John Starling and John the Lionheart, former meta-human war hero and advocate for meta-human rights. The rain continues to fall, a light drizzle from the open sky.

Liu stands from her seat as the skies reveal themselves above. Her voice rings out, heavensent and clear as a mountain stream. For all her faults she’s famous in the city and beyond for good reason, her enchanting songs that control the rains. The skies above resist at first but as Liu’s song grows ever louder and some unseen band begins to play the clouds part like doors flung open by some mighty hand and the light drizzle that remained finally ends. The sky above is a pink and dusty purple, the sun only finally slipping under the horizon.The song comes to an end and Liu takes her seat once more in an otherwise wordless exchange.

Applause erupt.

Liu gives the crowd what they want, belting out an aria as the unseen band falls silent. For five full minutes the entire pavillion is treated to a normally sold out and high cost concert from the hero turned entertainer however there is a schedule to keep and one of the many Monsoon staff is quick to appear and hurry Liu off the stage. Just as she’s hurried off the stage, another figure raises from the small row of seats stage left. The Queen of Moonshadow is bedecked in flowing robes of midnight blue and a crown of cold silver light hovers above her head. In her hand she carries a scepter forged from ice and darkness as the sun finally sets below the horizon.

“Welcome, one and all!” Her voice is clear, soft if not for the speakers projecting her across the pavillion, and husky. “It is so rare that the Monsoon can host so many, let us take a moment to reflect on this state of affairs and to give hope room to speak that we might do so more in the coming days.” It’s all pomp and circumstance at this point, ritual and rote beloved by the powers that be as it displays their power and their privilege through the city. The moment passes. “We welcome you on behalf of the Free Heroes of San Fransapporo, the Monsoon League and of course, the city of San Fransapporo itself. We have put together a night for you all that will be spoken of for years to come. We would like to introduce Miss Rappaport’s class for Theatre Production and Aesthetics to open our evening with a small play taken from the Journey to the West. Give them a round of applause as they take the stage.

Odette, Antigone, Tyler, Juno and Minerva slowly make their way from the front row of the audience to the stage as music begins up once more, a classical Chinese number. Odette is dressed in bright orange robes, her long black hair done up in a tight bun with Buddhist scriptures draped about her shoulders. She is carried by Antigone who is dressed as Son Wukong, golden scale armor and her golden blonde hair done up to look like a crown. Tyler is dressed in a long wig of black hair, sea weed dripping off a red faced mask, his clothing ripped and muddy. Minerva brings up the rear, looking all the world like a pig with food stains on her simple clothing and a giant iron rake over her shoulder. Juno walks beside them, carrying a large series of lacquered panels to appear as if they’re flying a dragon.

While the play starts with the young witches, Antigone and Odette seem to be the stars as they retell the story of Son Wukong’s imprisonment and subsequent release at the hands of Tripitaka. The story, known well to the denizens of San Fransapporo, begins with Son Wukong. A violent and wild demon born from stone, the Demon Monkey accomplishes much through violence and brute animal wit. He allies various demons, played by other students in masks, strikes his name from the ledgers of hell and is invited to the Heavens in hope to calm his wild nature. All is for naught as the Monkey King steals into the Immortal Peach Garden and devours each and every one of the succulent fruits before caught by the guards. Minerva and Juno, as the Jade Emperor and his consort, are quick to appear and cast the Monkey King down to the mountains of his birth. The lights are killed for appropriate dramatic effect.

Here however the tale veers off its familiar roads. Covered in chains when the lights once more illuminate the stage, The Monkey King strains and struggles before Odette, the monk. Instead of letting the beast free, Odette turns to the crowd before stepping forward as only a single light falls upon her and Antigone. Her gaze is up and outward into the crowd to where Son Wukong sat, the panels falling on his now empty seat. The barest hint of a smile forms on the witches face before she simply walks off the stage, leaving Antigone visibly shocked. The sound of the stage light turning off is the only sound as the band, up to this point continuing to accompany, fall silent in similar confusion.

The Queen of Moonshadow is quick to the stage once more, grace and calm as a rumbling murmur spreads through the crowd. What was that all about? What did that mean? The sussurant sounds falle silent as the Queen raises her scepter. “Another round, compatriants and comrades, for Odette Williams and her crew. Moving along, before we begin the festivities, I would like to invite Nuisance of the Worst Generation to the stage. Without her and her team’s quick thinking we might not have had this night at all. Six months ago the San Fransapporo Metro Zoo was assaulted by a being known as Rage, setting fire to and destroying much of the property. While our teenage heroes failed to contain the fires that decimated so much of the Zoo, they were instrumental in the being’s defeat. We have invited Nuisance to give a speech to open our ceremonies tonight. Hold your applause until she has finished. Nuisance?”

The Queen of Moonshadow turns to you, Sarah “Nuisance” Matthews. The floor is yours.

4. - Top - End - #334

Zombie

Nuisance

Sarah sat down nervously as she was directed while the rest of the team were ushered to their seats. She had time to sneak a fearful glance back towards the retreating forms of Hive and Zodiac before she plopped unceremoniously down next to her seat mates. Sarah didn't particularly recognize any of the VIP guests, but she couldn't help but gape openly at the costumes of the Monsoon's elected officials. The Sunlight King and the Queen of Moonshadow were dressed so elaborately, Sarah could've sworn they popped out of a fairy tale. The Queen's dress even billowed out like she had hips wider than one of the building's support columns.

Before Sarah could say anything stupid, the building lurched, and she just about jumped out of her seat. Everything rotated and shifted until the stage took the shape of a massive tree. She'd never seen just about anything like this, and Sarah had a feeling she probably never would see anything quite so magnificent again. If she'd had her cellphone on her, Sarah would've tried to sneak a few, crappy photos of it all. She'd have to settle for trying to write it all down from memory later. She probably didn't own enough journals to cover everything she'd seen that evening.

She stayed quiet respectfully for the play, but a mounting dread was beginning to form in the pit of her stomach. Sarah had only glanced at it a million times, but the schedule clearly noted her speech was after the play. It made it ridiculously difficult to concentrate; though it wasn't as if she was very fond of Journey to the West in the first place. The next thing she knew, the crowd was muttering in confusion and the lady in the poofy dress was motioning in her direction. Sarah blinked a couple times before she recognized the insistent look on the adult's face. Any scolded child would, really; it meant "get over here now!".

She shivered involuntarily, swallowing the lump in her throat as she stood on wobbly legs and moved over to the center of the stage as the Queen departed.

Sarah stared out over the crowd, their faces becoming fuzzy as a fresh wave of panic washed over her. Or maybe it was because the stage lights were suddenly very blinding. Sarah shaded her eyes with her hand for a second as she looked out towards the audience. Seeing hundreds of faces staring back, hanging on her to start speaking, made her stomach do all sorts of strange flips. The gyoza stress eating was probably not her wisest decision.

"H-hello..." she started weakly, the microphone picking up even the faint sound of Sarah nervously clearing her throat, "Hi e-everyone! I'm Nuisance."

They already know that, moron.

"I-we, uh, the team are h-here tod-today to, to..."

Sarah's throat was still dry. It was painfully obvious now that she really should've at least written something down. Her heart felt like it was bouncing off the walls of her rib cage, which definitely wasn't helping anything. Her mind was completely blank, and she couldn't get rid of the dopey grin on her face as she glanced about that countless sea of heroes. People she admired. People she looked up to and had tried her best to emulate for the last decade or so. There were people in the audience whose mere existence had allowed her to fall asleep at night without fear of how horrible the city could be. And most were watching her with a look of sheer disinterest.

It hurt. She knew Liu was off somewhere to the side with a smug look on her face, and that hurt even more.

Why do you have to just walk into these things? Why do you always do this? I mean...what did they even expect from you? Sarah thought dejectedly. It was all she could do not to run away from the microphone in terror.

But the more she stood her ground, frozen on the spot at the front of the stage, the more a voice sounded off in her head. Angry, and somehow in the tone of her mother.

No...what did you expect? Who even are these people? Heroes? Heroes don't do this. You've done enough. You've done more than enough! Don't let them see you weak. Never let them see you weak! You belong here...

The thought echoed in her head, over and over again. Her breathing slowly steadied, and her thoughts started falling into something more coherent. She couldn't really process it, all she could do was start talking.

"What I, uh, mean to say is, I know...we're not exactly the most welcome faces here tonight. I've been told by more than one person not to make trouble, and I won't!" Sarah shook her hands disarmingly towards the crowd. "None of us are here to mess with your evening. I wouldn't even want to. It's...have you guys seen this place? That changing stage thing is awesome! All the decorations, and the staff, and the food here..."

Stay on target!

"We all showed up, because all we've ever wanted to do was help. We still want to. It's why my friends use their powers. It's why we dive into dangerous situations like what happened at the zoo. It's what you all taught us to do. So...I guess I have to ask: What happened to you guys? What happened to the heroes of this city? I'm not far past the age when I used to watch those old super-toons on Saturday morning. Y'know, Lightbringer and the Guardians. The Action 10 Squad. That kinda stuff. You guys were my inspiration. I mean, there were villains to be stopped during their monologues and cities to save from...really poorly thought out plans. There was camaraderie, teamwork, and a cheesy moral behind it all. It was the best! It felt like a community of people greater than anything else, than anyone else, gathered together to make things better. To make this city better. To inspire everyone to be...better."

"And come on. Have you seen yourselves!? The Robin just made it stop raining. By singing! Such a cool power. I saw people here who could levitate stuff, carry tons of stuff, and even a dude who had a pet dinosaur. A Living. Dinosaur. Everything and everyone here is just...so cool!"

Sarah stopped for a second, not sure she wanted to continue with this line of thought. Half of what she was thinking through made her angry, but the rest of it washed everything in a melancholic light. Her interactions with Cindersnap, and the repeated warnings. This wasn't the group she'd wanted to be a part of for so long. These weren't the heroes she'd longed to see all of her life. They were just a bunch of boring adults.

"But here you are. Telling me I'm not one of you. Over and over again. Warning a teenager who doesn't even have superpowers not to make waves. Not to upset you. 'Don't tell them the team name.' 'Don't mention the zoo, or the herald, or the stadium.' Treating her and her team like they're the biggest threat to San Fransapporo, like this city hasn't seen teenagers before. Hell, I can see the Warrior sitting in this crowd. Right next to you! I have a lot of crime in my town to thank him for...And he's more of an honored guest than I am."

Sarah paused again, her mind suddenly panicking at having the sheer stupidity to call out one of the Warlords. Her throat caught for a second as she tried to clear it before continuing.

"I just...I'm sorry the zoo was destroyed by a fire demon. We did everything we could to stop it. We're even here now, trying to continue to help when everyone's been against us. So...I've been meaning to ask: what are you afraid of? And why is it...me?"

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Liu, The Robin: The Gala at the Monsoon

The audience is silent.

Panels show some fairly well known faces at this point. Carmine Crane appears contemplative. Cindersnap looks...furious? Excited? It's hard to tell really, animated to say the least. The Warrior is impassive but all the more important for being on the set of panels. Many and more of the famous faces flash by until the last page is simply Liu, the Robin who looks, in a word, apoplectic. The next panel she's standing, fists in balls as she marches onto the stage once more even as the King of Sunlight, resplendent and gorgeous, moves to stop her but to no avail.

"Well? Don't you think someone should answer?" Her voice is somewhere between an accusing screech and haughty command, sung out across the stage as a vast thundercloud churns over Nuisance before a peel of thunder heralds cold water that rains upon her.

"No one? Then allow me!" Liu turns on you Nuisance with all the pomp and circumstance of someone whose very rarely been told no. She stalks forward, near enough not to be touched by the quickly dwindling rain shower. "You come here to a haven of heroes to what, throw our generosity in our face? Chiding some of the greatest who have walked this city over a children's cartoon." The last words drip with venom, barely contained disgust etched on her features. "We treat you like you don't belong because you don't. Let us list off the exploits of your team briefly? Your friend Alex is as much a villain as you rail against. The list of her crimes are long, the least of which is vandalism! She forsakes a hero's name and if the city were to charge your team, as many have argued, for all your collateral damage she'd have her wages garnished until she was eighty! But she's most certainly not the worst of you, oh no. Hive, your cyborg friend is an existential threat to us all. Have you all heard of the Harvesters? Many here are well acquainted with their assault on the city some time ago but how many saw the devastation? We're not talking about the entirity of the Utopian Empire marching on our shores, the Harvesters came with small numbers and almost destroyed our beloved home."

She pauses for breath and already grumbling begins in the crowd. A host of security waits in the wings, clear that they were eager to move in on the hero but the time has since passed. "Lan, the Finch, has taken the Harvester Ship out of the city to dismantle it and find a way to destroy it before more can come but how long must we watch the skies in fear? How long must we have an abomination like Hive in our midst? When will she go rogue and begin her devastation anew and how long will you cover for it Nuisance? When the city is in ashes will you stand before us talking of Saturday Morning television shows? Cheesy moral lessons? What moral lesson is there to learn when everyone you love has been killed by a roving death machine!" Another pause, a finger leveling at Hive in the crowd before moving to Zodiac.

"The only one of your number worthy of respect, there he sits one and all for you to see. Zodiac, the lapdog of the Guardians and gopher of Sun Wukong! Surely there are those of you here assembled with beef enough to supply Inquisitive Bite with food for a week for the elder Monkey King but the question we must ask is how much of these actions are The Worst's own? How much are they at the behest of foreign heroes? We've all thought it and the Guardians would bury such questions but I ask you here and now. Is the current Worst Generation merely a shadow of deeper plays by the strongest political party in our city? Is Zodiac merely in this team of misfits because he is there to make sure the rest follow orders?" Another pause as her voice raises to another shrill screech. "This isn't even bringing up the Weekly Herald or the Stadium days ago! How long will these hooligans run wild, how long will we have to watch them flaunt our rules all while being protected by their handlers?"

"This only brings us back to you, Nuisance." Liu turns once more, looming despite being about the same height as you. "You ask why we're afraid, the answer is we're not. We tolerate you but with this little antic and so many the tolerance must simply be over. You don't belong here. Not in this city, not in this building and not on this stage. No powers, no maturity and no knowledge on how the adult world works. You are just a little girl playing at being a hero. Playing at it just like the low intellect programming you consume. You belong in the cartoons girl, because the real world surely doesn't need you."

Spoiler: Zodiac, Hive, Nuisance
    Show
    Liu is totally telling you how the world works. Roll to Reject or

Zodiac: Savior Down, Freak Up
    Hive: Savior Down, Danger Up
    Nuisance: Savior Down, Mundane Up

Spoiler: Nuisance
    Show
    If you feel that was a good enough dressing down, roll to take a powerful blow. Also deal with your Drives if you need to.

6. - Top - End - #336

Zombie

Nuisance

She hadn't been expecting applause, not really. Not after that irritated rambling she'd just spouted. But she certainly hadn't expected Liu to pop up again. Sarah whirled back towards the Robin, gingerly stepping away from the approaching hero as she stormed onto the stage, but it seemed nothing was going to stop her warpath. She winced as Liu's voice rose like a hurricane, and her posture shrank downward as if each sentence the older hero shrieked out was battered against her. Sarah's shoulders stiffened as the cold rain fell and drenched her completely. There was simply nothing she could've done to avoid it. The Robin's wrath was equal parts unexpected and terrifying, and Sarah was too stunned to offer any resistance.

Hive's beautiful outfit was soaked through at this point, but Liu continued in her assault. It wasn't enough to shut Sarah down, she moved to attack the team as a whole. She berated Alex, she just about dehumanized Hive, and she even out-right mocked Zodiac. Sarah almost couldn't believe what she was hearing, what with the blood starting to pound in her ears. Her emotions crashed back and forth between humiliation, horror, and abject fury; it was difficult even to think of where to start her reply.

In the end, nothing came to her. She wanted to shout at Liu, scream at her that she was wrong, but Sarah could feel the tears burning at her eyes, and she was already shivering from the cold rain on her. Doubt crept into her mind. She could feel the stares of the crowd, the judging murmurs of her supposed betters as no one stepped up to help her. No one said anything back to Liu. What was there to say? Sarah couldn't put it in to words. It was all too much, and she quietly turned on her heel and walked off the stage. No one stopped her. No one offered encouragement or solace. Sarah kept walking past staff and security, keeping her pace as even as she could until she pushed through a door into the hallway. From there, she broke into a run. This was the community she'd looked up to nearly her entire life. These were the people she'd wanted to emulate. The embarrassment was excruciating. Her heart was aching, and her mind was berating her own cowardice, but Sarah couldn't stop. She needed to be somewhere else right then. Anywhere else. Somewhere enclosed and quiet. Somewhere no one else was. She found a staircase a ways down the hall, and Sarah followed it all the way to the bottom. She collapsed under the dark recess of the stairwell, on top of a flatbed cart, and sat there shivering. All she could think about was the last five minutes, over and over again, and her stupid reaction to it all.

It didn't particularly matter what Liu had to say about her; it was all stuff she'd heard before anyways. Well, maybe it was starting to get to her, but that wasn't what bothered Sarah the most. What got to her was the absolutely maddening comments about her friends. These were her teammates, people who'd risked their lives to save innocents. The kindest heroes Sarah had ever known, and Liu treated them like dirt. As far as Sarah was concerned, Liu's opinions weren't worth anything anymore. In fact, they were downright contemptible.

But there was something worse than all of that: it was Sarah. She hadn't said anything. She never offered resistance. The one person who should've stuck up for her friends, the true heroes, did nothing. They'd been torn apart on that stage, and she'd just watched. She ran. It was weak and cowardly; a betrayal of the ones she loved and adored. How was she supposed to face them now? After all of that, what could she even say? It was much too late to turn back at this point, and Sarah wasn't even sure that she could. She beat her fists against the cart in frustration, but even the pain didn't make her feel any better.

You abandoned them. Coward! Fraud! Some hero. Great friend. She called Alex a criminal! She's saved your life more times than you can count. And Hive, a monster! That beautiful, piano playing wonderful friend! What is wrong with you!? The unrelenting and sarcastic thoughts bubbled up front and center and brought with it a wave of misery. Sarah shuddered and pulled her hood up and over her head, dumping a fresh collection of water over her shoulders and causing her to gasp. It was the last straw, and Sarah finally buried her head in her arms and wept quietly. She wished for all the world that she had her suit with her, so she could phase through the floor and disappear.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-02-28 at 12:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Alex
    Potential: 0/5
    Conditions: Angry
    Influence on: Drake, Hove, Nuisance
    Suspicion: 0/5

Even Alex who wasn’t easily impressed (or at least pretended to be) couldn’t help herself but be amazed at the incredible, shifting architecture of the Monsoon as it opened up into it’s treelike open air theater form. She wasn’t an architecture enthusiast but this could even get someone like her, who was much better at tearing stuff down than building it up, hyped. Then Liu stepped onto the scene and gave her little performance and a shadow fell over Alex’s face. While she couldn’t deny that the woman had an amazing voice, she was of the Weather Report and not exactly on best terms with her...plus to her it felt a bit like she was showing off and Alex was one of the few among the crowd who didn’t clap and cheer (though considering the Lion’s lack of the usual number of limbs that probably wasn’t too suspicious).

After that they were treated to a show taken from the famous Chinese novel “Journey to the West” played by none others than the witches, another group they weren’t exactly friends with. Alex payed especially close attention to Tyler who seemed to have recovered well from his injuries from his encounter with the Raging Bulldiac. Even though they were enemies, and Tyler had almost stabbed her once, in a way she was glad about his recovery. The play ended in an unexpected and sudden way that seemed to be message directed at the real Monkey King who was also present this evening (like pretty much every other person that was of even minor rank or name in this city. Was it meant to be a mockery, a warning or threat? Alex wasn’t sure about the meaning but a smirk crept on the Lions face nonetheless.

Next Nuisance was up and Alex sat a little bit more upright hoping her teammate and friend would do well and wish her the best of luck. She started slow and timid, pretty much what Alex expected of her, but then, after a few moments she gathered herself and delivered a confident and speech calling out the established heroes and villains of the city in a her own very Nuisance kind of brand. Alex couldn’t help but feel a little bit proud of her and actually had to hold herself back not to give her a standing ovation clapping with her invisible hand. She stood up anyway but couldn’t do anything else before Liu stormed onto the scene quite literally raining on Nuisance parade and going on a tirade against Nuisance and also the rest of the team.

With every word the Robin said Alex got more angry and her desire to just run on stage an suplex the bitch through said stage was pretty high. She could deal with Liu calling her criminal, because...yeah she kinda was. After all she was here under false pretenses to steal something for money and her ledger wasn’t exactly clear. There was a reason she was under parole after all. But calling Nuisance a child who didn’t belong? Insinuating that Zod was just a puppet of his granddad to control the team? That was not just insulting to Zodiac but only Alex. As if she would let him control her. But the worst part was when she brought up Sam, reminding Alex of the inevitable and making her out to be some monster. The only thing that was holding her back was the knowledge that if she went down there and went nuclear on Liu’s ass there would be hell to pay and she would probably mess up her life past the point of no return. Still it was so tempting and there was a mischievous voice in her head asking if it might be worth it. Probably not, but there was no way in hell she could just let this slide and do nothing.

Nuisance ran out and Alex, taking a few moments to calm herself enough was stood up once again. This time tapping her shoulder with her good arm to get some attention to herself...or rather to Wenzhou, the Lion. ”Well roared, Robin...but let us not forget who the real Lion here is”, the deeper voice of the South African thief carrying her voice throughout the theater, she even effortlessly managed to give the raging woman a sly smirk. ”If your goal is to turn these kids into criminals and villains you’re on the right track...well done and let me thank you for that on behalf of the whole villain community of this wonderful city and beyond. You accuse dear little Nuisance of being childish...and maybe you’re right, but if I’m not mistaken,it was you who just threw a tantrum and felt the need to soak her in a quite cartoonish display of abusing your powers.”

Alex strode closer to the stage as she spoke, ”And Alex...a villain? Frankly, I feel insulted by that. Me and my compatriots have a reputation to uphold and to be a villain you have to do more than some petty crimes found in any youth delinquents file. She’s a rebel, misguided perhaps...but not a villain. And Zodiac his grandfather’s puppet? Please...if he’s anything like me at that age he is trying very hard to differentiate himself from him and any other patriarchal father figure.”

She now had reached the stage and moved up the stairs, ”Now Hive...she may be a danger, but is that really all you see...a potential time bomb? Because even if her body is a destructive weapon she still is a girl...a normal girl that is probably just as scared of what happened to her and might happen to her in the future as you are, probably more and here you are condemning her when you should help her instead. After all, that is what heroes do? Is it not? Because...Nuisance is right...is she not? Where are the heroes you are all supposed to be, when I...a foreigner and villain who, if I may be so bold to pat myself on the back, pulled off one of the greatest heists this city has ever seen in this very building, has to stand up for the young heroes who you call ‘the Worst Generation’ when in reality...they are your future.”

8. - Top - End - #338
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac
    Conditions: Angry, Guilty
    Potential: 2/5

Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Freak: -1
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: +0

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    • Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to
      - What or who do they care most about?
      - What allies do they have? Enemies?
      - Where and when can I find them?
      - How could I make them vulnerable to me?

The Chill...? Drake furrows his brow and opens his mouth, but is interrupted by the TV. Soon enough, Cindersnap appears and whisks them all to the auditorium. Placed in their seats, Drake mumbles to Hive, "That conversation isn't over."

Again, he's interrupted as the entire structure seems to grind and whir to life, more smoothly than one would think capable. Drake tenses, and a grin spreads across his face as he realizes what's happening. Everyone in San Fransapporo had heard about the Monsoon's transformation capability, and it had even been demonstrated once or twice in past years for special occassions, but Drake never thought he'd actually get to see it from the inside! And it was even more magnificent than he'd imagined!

His wonderment is interrupted as John Booth Daily (perhaps their only real friend at the Gala) sidles in. Though clearly upset, his warning his interrupted as the on-stage show begins in full. There's no opportunity for further conversation as Liu sings the rains away, and as the Robin's song washes over the crowd Drake feels his worries carried away. For those few minutes of rapture, the whole world fell away. Even Grandfather, ever the purist, would have no choice but to acknowledge the flawlessness of Liu's performance.

The next piece of entertainment would probably find less favor with the old man. Drake almost doesn't recognize Odette at first, so different is her Buddhist costume from the slinky number she came in. The production is short and the sets are sparse, but the costumes and props are well-made. During the show, Drake cranes his head around to see Grandfather has vacated his seat. That figures. No doubt the old codger would take the show personally. But as Odette walks off leaving the on-stage Sun Wukong still imprisoned, Drake isn't sure he'd have been wrong to.

Next up is Nuisance's speech. Drake thought he'd made his piece with everything, but as Sarah gets off to an awkward start, he cringes internally. Why isn't it me up there? After a painfully long pause, she seems to rally. If she'd even had prepared marks (doubtful), she'd clearly thrown them to the wind. But as she speaks, Drake finds himself nodding along. Maybe some other day he might have swatted her down himself, but in this moment, suddenly the status quo in San Fransapporo really did seem topsy-turvy. Criminals openly flaunted their lawlessness, but the only ones who ever seemed to take any heat for anything were him and his team! What are they scared of?

The Robin's super-powered temper tantrum is appalling. The sudden clouds pouring water down on his friend's head are clearly unnatural, and her accusations twist Drake's stomach into a knot of disgust. Sam's not a threat, she's a victim! Even worse, he briefly gets the attention he deserves, only for Liu to lump him in with his Grandfather - just another way the old man's ego has steamrolled his mother's legacy. And just like that, the scales fall from Drake's eyes. He and his team had been fighting so hard to earn a place in this world, but at last he can see what they really think of him. A world that didn't want them, because it couldn't control them. Some guests of honor. As if.

As poor Sarah runs off the stage, Drake, gritting his teeth and clenching his fists, begins to take his feet to make a speech of his own, but he's beaten to the punch by, of all people, Wenzhou the Lion? Confused and flustered, Drake sits back down and turns to Sam. "You should go after her. Meet back at the room after the auction?"

Turning to the other side to speak with Daily, he sees that the reporter is furiously scribbling notes. Clearly, Liu's speech is going to be news, and Wenzhou's rebuttal even more so. "I can see you're busy. I'm gonna step out - er- inside for a bit, but I'm available for comment when you want me."

Show
    Rolled 7 to reject the Robin's Influence. I'll cancel her influence, and Drake gets +1 forward against her.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-03-04 at 05:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Conditions: Insecure, Guilty, Angry

It would be fair to say that the evening is not going as well as Sam was hoping. First the argument with Drake, which seemed ominously unfinished, and now this.

Hive's hands tighten on her knees with a metallic clunk as Liu rants, head swiveling to search the crowd for Lan. Did she know about this? And if she did, why didn't she warn them?

'It's not as if I'm completely unreasonable in wanting to know before people accuse my friend of being a villain, is it?' Sam glares over at the rest of the Weather Report, wondering how much more they haven't been telling her. 'The harvester ship? The storm king? Was that all some kind of frame-up, or something?'

Half-standing, Hive's arms whirr and click, metal moving about ominously, the blinking light of her inhibitor beginning to flash slightly faster, before Drake's voice summons her back to reality.

"Uh, yeah, no, I'll do that." Sam shakes her head slightly, then begins to shuffle along the row of seats, moving towards where Sarah just vanished. Her conversation with Lan could wait, after all, and the mood in the room was hardly going to be improved by her going berserk. Hurrying down the aisle, she pushes the double doors apart, and peers down the empty corridor. Sarah must have gone somewhere this way, but unfortunately the hallway remains stubbornly quiet and still.

A small twisting thread of her nanite dress comes untangled, spooling out and creeping along floor, twisting its way up towards one of the security cameras mounted on the walls. It's probably technically against the rules, but this is an emergency, right? Anyway, it's not like she was trying to hurt anyone...

Show
    Sam is trying to subtly hack into the security camera feed, hopefully in a way that interested or pursuant parties won't notice. I believe the inhibitor gives me a -1, so (2d6+1)[5]

Heh, this'll go well. Anyway, if @Razade thinks some of the security would try and stop Sam before she got to the door, let me know, and I'll edit this one back a bit.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2019-03-06 at 03:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanuki, the Delinquent

Most of Anthony’s time inside the Monsoon had been spent discreetly staring. He had almost let his mouth fall open, but had thankfully caught himself as he thought- no, felt- that the White Wolf would never be so blatant in his gawking. Would he ever be caught gawking at all?? Instinct said no, unless intentionally, in a lascivious fashion. Gross. Besides, he had been here before. Lukas had. Not Anthony. It was strange to have flashes of another man’s memories, to have an innate sense of how he might act. It was a completely different headspace, one that Anthony wasn’t sure he would be able to fully fulfill.

He could feel his own anxiety roiling, especially when he and ‘Wenzhou’ had moved through security. That nagging voice in the back of his mind screamed ‘They’re going to know!!’ even though they had no reason to. But outwardly, he wore a lazy half smile implied no hint of unease. It was a smile that spoke of a certain element of comfort in any situation, and felt so natural that it must have been The White Wolf’s natural state, and Anthony couldn’t help but find it to be quite arrogant and even a bit disturbing.

When the Knights had taken his weapons away, he found himself faintly unnerved even though they were merely illusions. He’d made sure of that, when he and Alex had first been dumped out of the Sorcerer’s lair again. Not that he’d really thought he was going to be allowed to keep them once they entered the Monsoon, but it had made him realize that he probably SHOULD arm himself with something.

Unlike Lukas Frisk, or Alex, he wasn’t naturally fast or strong, illusions be damned. While he did feel sort of athletic through the illusion, he knew he would never be able to compare with the real Wolf, or actually win a fight with the effects of the illusion alone. He’d taken a moment before following Alex, to whip out his sketchbook.

Think. Think. You have to prepare NOW. You might not get a chance in there, if something goes wrong… Everyone in there is a lot smarter, faster, and stronger than you.

Figuring the swords would be confiscated, and finding them to be rather fake anyway, he’d quickly scrawled the shape of a knife on one page. He hastily scribbled a lightning bolt on the next, that he could hopefully use to create a distraction if things got tight. What else… what else… His mind was racing, but drawing up blanks. In lack of ideas, he simply flicked out a couple more lighting bolts, before tearing each of the drawings out of the book, shoving knife and lightning bolts into separate pockets for potential future use. With that done, he’d entertained the memory of the White Wolf’s athleticism to catch up to Alex and make their way to the Monsoon.

Now, he and ‘Wenzhou’ had found themselves soon enough seated in the center of everything, it felt like, and he discreetly felt his pockets for reassurance. Being so near the Warrior again made Anthony wildly uncomfortable, but that was just the general theme for the evening, an inescapable state of being. As much as he wanted to take stock of everything and everyone, he had to play it cool; if anything, Lukas would rather appear bored in a crowd than let anyone suspect he was experiencing anything other than sardonic amusement. He made himself move his gaze more slowly, to skim the crowd and the sky in more lazy sweeps as if idly searching for something of entertaining value rather than actively searching for exits or threats. It did force Anthony to breathe a bit, at least. The Monsoon was breathtaking, the aria angelic, and the theatrical performance, well, intriguing! Some part of him did quietly wish he could enjoy it all. Maybe someday. Today was definitely not that day.

Anthony did feel a small perk of excitement and surprise when Nuisance was invited onto stage.

It’s her!!

His eyes slid towards Alex, but seeing the tall bronzed figure of Wenzhou beside him, he was quick not to smile. Right. Of course. She didn’t know that he knew who they both were, anyway! Just keep pretending to be bored. Keep pretending to be bored. Even though this place is incredible and you need to not forget to STEAL something. This bloooows.

He wanted to root Nuisance on as she faltered, feeling such painful empathy for her being up there on that stage, in front of so so many people.. And of such high esteem! But she’d already made it up there to the microphone, so that was amazingly brave in his book! As her speech progressed however, he became more thoughtful. Proud of her bravery, but concerned. It was fair, what she was asking, though it made him nervous how the crowd might react. He’d learned not to have particular high expectations, but even with that, the sheer venom with which the Robin responded stunned him.

Though internally he was gaping, outwardly he managed simply to touch his lips with his fingers, brows slightly raised, though his eyes were starting to widen beyond a manner that was fitting the sly Wolf. He was frozen in his seat, wanting to look to Alex, wanting to look towards where Zodiac and Hive were seated, but not daring to look anywhere but forward. It was only when Nuisance finally moved and turned away to flee the stage, that he shook himself out of stasis, at least enough to start frantically wondering what to do. And then Alex stood up.

Instinctively, he stood up too, immediately feeling like an idiot as he had no idea what Alex was up to, and Lukas probably wouldn’t care what Wenzhou was up to either. Quickly he mustered up a little laugh, half panicking at why that had been his choice of reaction, before realizing it wasn’t technically out of character. At least in Lukas’s voice, it didn’t sound nervous at all, but mocking.

“What a joke...” He was swift to mutter under his breath, in case anyone in the immediate vicinity was paying more than sparse attention to him. He smirked as if he was amused by this all, and not actually horrified. That felt right, though. Maybe it hadn’t been a perfectly smooth act, but… hopefully believable. Man, he hated all of this. And very much wanted to disappear into the floor. Instead, he turned away and began to slip away in the opposite direction of the stage. He had to move somewhat slowly so as not to be suspicious, to keep his pace casual and unworthy of attention, body language calm and uninterested, but it was just bordering on a little quick as he was afraid he might lose any trail of Nuisance. It didn’t even occur to him, the obvious, that he’d actually only met Nuisance in person once, and that Nuisance’s actual team mates might be going to look for her already.

Not that he was sure what… he would say if he found her either, given that he looked like freaking Lukas Frisk, a man who was not likely to be particularly genuinely comforting, but he couldn’t help himself. If nothing else, maybe he could just… start looking for the hilt or something. There would be no crowd to blend into, but maybe he could just keep pretending he’d got lost on the way to the restroom?

His heart was still actively aching for Nuisance, and though he knew he and Alex should probably stick together somewhat for their mission, it seemed at least for the moment that Alex had things… well, under control! Anthony was quite surprised and impressed really, how natural Alex seemed to be in Wenzhou’s skin, and both relieved and unexpectedly proud to hear how the ‘Lion’ was handling the Robin’s outburst and exonerating the Storm Chasers. That was… a good use of the disguise, Alex!! Stick it to them!!

...but Anthony certainly wasn’t sticking around to hear it all, using the hopeful distraction to maneuver towards the doors out of the Auditorium and out into the halls.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Nuisance

Sometimes having a good cry is all you need. Sometimes you're publicly humiliated in front of the largest assembly of heroes and villains in the history of the city and probably broadcast on a few news stations to boot. You'll be trending on twitter in no time, which probably means a good cry isn't going to solve this. In your state you barely notice breezing past Son Wukong and his three attendents but as you storm off the stage and out into the hallways you barely miss them in your attempt at escape. You're much faster than the old man, at least for the moment, and you clear his small group without fanfare though the panels linger on the old man for a few moments before he starts to follow at his own slow pace. The other three disperse as well, leaving the hallway empty once more.

Self doubt, self loathing and self defeat aside, your hiding spot isn't particularly well hidden and its not too long before you hear the sound of footsteps drawing near, the added clack of wood on tile along with it.

The feet stop when they reach the bottom but considering the darkness, it's hard to make out the figure. He's not particularly tall at least, broad shoulders about as much else as you can make out of them. The voice doesn't help either, vaguely familiar but difficult to place. "Not every day I see a bright young lady rushing to hide in the dark during one of the greatest nights of their life. Or what should be." There's a grunt as the figure moves to sit on the last step, the clattering of wood on the ground...a cane probably...followed by a deep sigh.

"Though after that play I could hardly blame anyone. Couldn't stomach it myself. You'll forgive an old man intruding but you're not the first teenage hero I've had to talk out of a hole and my Grandson would be most upset if I didn't lend a hand. He demanded it of me no less. You must be very special." There's a click and the familiar sound of flint on metal before a merry little flame illuminates the craggy, old face of the Monkey King.

"I was hoping to speak to you tonight, Nuisance. Not exactly where I'd have liked to have done so, but here we are." The light is out as quick as it was alive, letting them both sit back in the darkness save for a glowing ember, the scent of cigar smoke filling the small space. "When you're ready." The Monkey King lets out another deep sigh, and then silence.

Hive and The White Wolf

You clear the doors quickly Hive, spilling out into the hallway. Several large sets of stairs lead up to the higher floors and you are in fact alone. For the moment. Your attempt at hacking is less...successful, the nanite chain slowly crumbling as a powerful electric surge flows out and down through the camera and into the inhibitor you wear. The surge of power causes a small red light to flick on the hateful little thing with no sign of it going out. Several more lights sit in a cluster though none of the others flick on. Maybe they're using a three strikes policy? It's hard to say as no one comes rushing to punish you. Not that they'd have time to as Lukas Frisk comes moving down the stairs, the White Wolf barely missing you despite just how large you are.

The panels snap back to Tanuki...or White Wolf at the moment. No one stops you as you stand though a few in your crowd glare darkly at you and your teammate both, one of which is the Warrior himself. You clear the seats with usual grace though when you spill out into the hall you see only a flight of stairs to greet you, not a long walk down. You barely miss Hive who stands in the hallways, most likely thinking much the same tactic.

Wenzhou and the rest

The hall is stunned in silence from the whole affair, least of all when you stand up and give your own little speech in return. Lukas is quick to slide past you and out the doors, leaving you alone with the Warlords...and everyone else. You see Hive also move to leave, a few others considering before stopping as the Queen of Moonshadow strikes her staff against the floor. Chaos soon erupts however at your words, several heroes standing and making their way towards you and the rest of the Warlords. Obviously some are moved to make good on Nuisance's point though a booming, shattering sound brings silence once more.

"Enough! This is not an open forum, you will all be seated!" Those who weren't fast enough obey and someone tugs on your robes to follow suit. Liu stands paralyzed, mouth agape in silent fury as silvery light shimmers about her.

"Regardless of our guest's speech, the Monsoon is a house built upon respect! Respect to our traditions, to our city, to one another. The disgrace that has been brought upon us by The Weather Report will not tarnish the rest of this night and I ask all to listen and remember. Any further outbursts like Liu's or our guest The Lion's to disparage or slander our community will be punished most severely." The Queen's eyes fall upon you, Wenzhou, though you're spared the same treatment as Liu as she's hoisted into the air by invisible powers. "Our security will be monitoring the situation ongoing. If you wish to test our comittment, be our guests." The Queen then turns as the King of Sunlight stands to collect Liu from the air. Words are exchanged silently as the rest of the guests on the stage stand slowly as they shake off the shock. Explosive energies remain in the room, simmering, as rivals and archnemises alike eye one another from their seats. This fight isn't over, a fire has begun here.

"As Queen of Moonshadow, I declare the Gala begun. Go now, speak no more of this and enjoy our festivities." In the skies above fireworks fly, exploding into their majesty with purples and greens and silvers. The room grows loud once more, the panels fall to Zodiac.

The Warlord's crew is quick to stand and move to the hallway however The Warrior remains with his few attendants. "That was foolish, Lion." The massive man rumbles, red bleary eyes peering through thick armor to look you over. "They'll be watching you now, I trust your skills will be able to compensate." The giant stands, the floor creaks. "Come, walk with me to the auditorium. It would be wise to be seen together. Tell me of your travels here."

The attendants move like a swarm of locusts to clear the way for you both, one very large hand falling upon your shoulder. Firm, but it could easily crush you like a twig if it were meant to be anything but that.

Zodiac and the News

John Daily soaks it all in, silent until everyone is finally dismissed. He moves an arm to grab yours Zodiac, leaning in close so you can hear him over the loud mumbling of a thousand voices cascading into one another. "I have time now, and won't later. Not after all that. I want to get this out now, anything you have to say would be a godsend. I've been given permission to live stream the evening, just speak here." Soon enough a smartphone is in your face, John Booth Daily leaning in. "I'm here with Zodiac after that whirlwind of drama, do you have anything to say for yourself or your team Zodiac? Any hopes for the night? Any plans? Are the rumors true that you had all of this planned from the start?"
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-03-07 at 07:08 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342

Zombie

Nuisance

The footsteps echoing down the stairwell shook Sarah from her quiet sobbing. Panic settled in once again at the thought of Liu finding her hiding down here, at the thought of the Robin to have something new to gloat over, and so the tears were wiped away as quickly as possible and her nose was cleared as quietly as possible. It didn't help much, Sarah knew she looked like a mess. Her eyes were puffy and irritated, and her nose definitely wouldn't stop running. If she'd been out in public, this would've been the time to pick a bathroom stall and hide out for a long, long time.

As the figure approached closer, Sarah could hear the clack of something against the hard stairs. It was rhythmic, alternating with each step. A walking stick, or a cane perhaps. The footsteps were heavy too, like someone much larger and definitely not wearing high heels. Not the Robin, then. Sarah slumped back down to her corner, trying to shrink as far to the side as possible. She couldn't even find the energy to stand. Whoever it was coming down the stairs, her only hope was that they were just passing by. Just someone who needed to use a cane and was avoiding the service elevators for some reason. Not someone who had followed her; someone who had seen that fiasco and decided to take matters into their own hands.

Her hopes were dashed as the figure came to a stop beside her. Sarah pulled her hood tighter over her head as the man addressed her directly. She didn't feel like correcting his opening comments. It was supposed to be a fun night; a fun night for everyone but her, apparently. Either he'd missed out on what just happened or he was trying to cut deeper into her. Either way, Sarah was definitely not in a mood to sit there and take it. She shifted in her seat, but the clattering of his cane onto the floor made her flinch. Before she knew it, he was sitting down next to her, nonchalantly breaking health codes by lighting up a cigarette indoors and next to a minor. Whoever this guy was, he certainly had no admirable qualities. Sarah waved the smoke away from her face as she finally got a look at the gentleman next to her. It was Drake's grandfather, Wukong.

It figures. She thought in irritation as he commented on the play and his grandson's request. Of course he'd missed everything. Of course he'd left during the play. Even she'd stuck around for the entirety of Liu dressing her down, but this guy couldn't stand a lazy high school drama? And now he wanted to...what was it? "talk her out of a hole"? The level of ego in that statement irked her.

Still, he was a director of the Guardians. The superheroes who defended the city and kept all manner of evil at bay. He deserved respect, supposedly. Sarah remembered the press conference he'd held all those years back when he started in San Fransapporo. She'd been star struck by the father of White Rabbit, with his dramatic flair and his suave nature. Meeting Zodiac, and especially sticking around every time to hear Drake gripe about his grandfather, had done quite a lot to dissuade her from further idolizing the man. Not to mention, Liu's hateful comments towards Wukong's involvement with the team were still ringing in her ears. It was probably better that she didn't get involved with him.

Just go. Just leave, don't let him follow you...

"You must've heard wrong." Sarah said quietly. It was tough to keep her voice even after all of that sobbing. It still threatened to bubble right back up to the surface, so she quickly buried it in her feelings of guild and anger. She even hated how petulant her own voice sounded. "I'm not anyone special. You've all made that quite clear tonight."

Sarah took one last moment to rub her eyes before standing up. If nothing else, she wanted to be farther away from the stench of Wukong's smoke.

"If you'll excuse me..." She tried to leave as diplomatically as possible. Sarah wasn't particularly interested in whatever it was he wanted to talk about. The only thing she wanted right now was to be at home, with a warm cup of something sweet to drink and maybe a stupid movie to watch. A lot of stupid movies. Maybe afterwards, she would take her suit out and go catch a criminal. Particularly if it meant being a Nuisance to the Warlords.

Yeah. That'd make everything better.

Unfortunately, reality was unkind, and Sarah turned back and forth a couple of times before realizing she'd never paid much attention while Cindersnap was giving her tour of the Monsoon. She had literally no idea where she was at the moment, with only two real options available: go back upstairs where everyone was waiting while she looked like crap, or try and find her way around down here in the Monsoon's maintenance hallways.

After only a moment of deliberation, Sarah sat back down again. It was all she could do not to burst out in frustration.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

'Well... damn.'

Sam stares at the camera with an irritated expression, then glares at the device on her wrist. Then she stumbles slightly as Lukas Frisk, of all people, storms past her. What's he doing here? She steps sideways, back into the shadows of the steps, tilting her head to watch him.

Also possibly google him, too, if she was forced to admit it. She'd seen the face before, even heard the name, but other than some hazy pictures of generic villainy, Sam was fairly fuzzy on what he actually did. Of course, the internet is not much better, directing her to a few sparse facts, and a multitude of quite disturbing fanfic.

Shaking her head to dislodge the unpleasant images, Hive squints more closely at him. To follow her was the obvious answer, but Sam dismisses that. After all, it's not like he's said a word to her yet. Which leaves Sarah, of course. Sam's face sets slightly, moving from curious to stony with a slight lowering of the eyebrows.

"You won't find her."

The disgust in her voice is obvious, as Sam folds her arms across her metal chest. The last thing Sarah needed, right now, was some smooth talking villain intruding on her vulnerable moments. So he wouldn', not if she had anything to say about it.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Nuisance, The Monkey King: An Access Hallway. In the dark.

The Monkey King is at least honest to his word, remaining seated even as you deliberate and eventually sit down. He takes this to mean you're ready, at least as ready as you'll be. The rich gravel of his voice is punctuated by a deep inhale and the brightening of that small cigar cherry. "You know, I had a daughter once" he starts, the information more than well known to you. The White Rabbit, Drake's mother and one of your childhood icons. Everything this old dried up miserable creature wasn't.

"I didn't take the time to listen to her problems. There was always something that needed doing, for her benefit. I told myself that anyway, but it was a lie. I did much, most, of what I did for myself. I'm proud of what I've created, child, but I know what I've lost." Another plume of smoke, breathed away from you this time. "The time for forgiveness or sadness is done with, on that front. Nothing more I can really do. My daughter and grandson hate me. No doubt you've heard a story or two. Drake is an honest boy, the stories are probably right." Another long drag on that cigar.

"I am not asking you to like me. I am asking, as a selfish man, to let me do something for you that I couldn't do for my own daughter. Speak to me, don't speak to me, whatever it is you need. When you're ready, I'll bring you back to your team. How are your wrist bows, by the way? You got them, did you not?"

15. - Top - End - #345
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show
    • []Danger: +1
      []Freak: -1
      []Savior: +2
      []Superior: +1
      []Mundane: +0

Show
    • []Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
      []Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      []The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to

Drake recoils for a moment, startled by the sudden phone, but he only misses a beat. ""Planned it? You got it all wrong. We don't bring the storm - we chase it!" He pauses for a moment, refocusing straight into the phone camera, directly addressing the audience. "From now on, that's what you can call us. The Stormchasers!"

After a short pause for effect, he leans back a bit, feigning relaxation and control. "Honestly, John, I'm not sure what comes next tonight. Being invited to the biggest party of the year for the sole purpose of being majorly dumped on can be a real mood killer. But it's not every day you get to see one of the biggest heroes in the city have a total meltdown over a bunch of upstarts, huh? My friend Nuisance raised some interesting points tonight. Obviously we don't have many fans among the Weather Report, but I'd like to hear from all of you, the people of our fair city. Can we take a poll, John? I want to know, does the city think my team and I are a bigger threat than the Warrior?!"

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanuki, the Delinquent

He had already stepped past her in his haste by the time he had processed it was Hive, having only just given himself enough time to process there was another person there in time not to run into said person. Oof, that was close. Despite the constant anxious reminders to himself to keep up the facade, he kept slipping, case in point that he almost stopped short as his brain caught up and recognized the person as Hive. Eyes widening, he did a double take, lips parting slightly. Thankfully, thankfully, Hive had spoken up, nearly at the same time. So hopefully it just looked like he was surprised that she was addressing him, and not purposefully like… he was recognizing her far too quickly and with too much interest for Lukas Frisk to reasonably have.

Quickly as he could, he put that annoying half-smile half-smirk on his face, quirking a brow in smug inquiry. His heart was racing, to find himself face to face with one of the Stormchasers unexpectedly; while he hadn’t actually seen Hive very long or very close at the stadium, and so didn’t feel the same level of anxiety as he might facing someone he knew more closely, he also found her to be… well… a little spooky. And now she was staring at him, cold and unflinching, in a way that would have seen Tanuki brokering no argument under normal circumstances.

She must be looking for Sarah too… Of course, why wouldn’t she? They’re teammates. What did you expect, dummy…

Right, he was still standing there. So he chuckled. That seemed to be something Lukas did often, despite not necessarily being known as a warm person. Did people really find the ‘too cool for you’ act charming?? Apparently some people did… enough to leave Anthony with embarrassing ‘memories’, and enough for others to write fan fiction. While anything of worth online would point to him having villainous tendencies, a ‘cleaner’ of sorts for the villain world, at the same time his name was not reviled as it seemingly should be. It seems to be an unfortunate case of him not being famous or infamous enough to have his misdeeds well known by the general public, and so they are willing to look past those ‘rumours’ to condone their fan fiction and other obsessive behaviours with the ‘Oh no, he’s hot’ excuse.

It occurred to Anthony belatedly now, that Hive’s semblance of a challenge probably didn’t even necessarily warrant a response from Lukas Frisk, but he had paused there long enough that it felt necessary now.

“Presumptuous…” Lukas considered, the Wolf’s smooth voice resonating with amusement. “...to think you have any idea what I'm about,” He finished, maintaining the smile that was distinctly lacking in anything that could be considered friendly. Even if it held a flicker of humor, it was that of a predator at best. One finding itself confronted by brazen prey but already well sated, as if his departure was some kind of kindness or gift he was bestowing on her. As if he was giving her permission to exit his presence, and not the other way around, as she had intended he would need it.

Following that with a combined hint of a shrug, head tilt, and a parting wink, he wore his smug smirk the rest of the way down the stairs, seeming to have no intention of truly indulging the ‘conversation’ further. Though he did call over his shoulder as he attempted to put distance between them. “...Why haven’t you found her yet?”

Just keep moving… just keep moving… Anthony quietly tried to keep himself from panicking at every interaction.

17. - Top - End - #347

Zombie

Nuisance

She sat motionless as Wukong spoke about his estranged relationships. His regrets and his issues just washed past her in the sea of debris she'd been dealing with that evening. It was hard to even will up sympathy for the old geezer sitting next to her; it sounded like he was still too proud to even deal with his regrets, which irked her again. The part about the bows definitely caught her attention though. That part made all kinds of sense. Of course someone who was affluent and had a sort of connection to the team was behind the mystery gifting. It suddenly felt like a surprise gift from someone else's rich dad, though. Kind of a pity present for a birthday he'd missed, or something. And did he technically just admit to Breaking and Entering with Intent to Deal Arms to a Minor? That...probably wasn't a specific crime, but it sure sounded like one. At least two separate ones. Sarah wasn't quite certain she wanted to confront Wukong about it, mostly because the thought of him being anywhere near her room gave her the creeps.

At some point, you'll have to face the fact that a closed door is but a minor inconvenience to most capes. Probably all capes. Well, except maybe Vangroovin. How does he work without opposable thumbs, anyways?

Sarah gently shook the distracted thoughts from her head. She had no earthly idea what she could even say to Wukong, but he had at least put forward an attempt at...something. Even if she couldn't help but feel it was terribly misguided.

...Why's he telling me all this?

"You give the worst sales pitches..." Sarah finally muttered in a rather halfhearted attempt at irony. It even elicited a somewhat mirthful chuckle, which surprised her.

"I mean, thanks for the bows. I...haven't used them. Not on any criminals, anyways. They fit just fine though. I'm not sure why you gave them to me, to be honest." Sarah continued as she leaned forward, crossing her arms over her knees and resting her chin on them. At least it seemed like the crying was done for now, but she could still feel the itchiness around her eyes. There was no way she wanted to meet back up with the team again anytime soon. Not looking like she knew she did.

"But after all Drake's said about you, it just seems weird to me."
    She admitted. "I mean, why me? Why single out the normie on the team? You could've reached out to Alex, or Hive. You definitely should've reached out to Drake. You said you can't go back to your daughter or your grandson, so...what, I'm the stray you're picking up? Why?"

That does seem selfish.

Sarah knew the answer to the question already. She'd heard more than enough from Drake as it was; he didn't seem at all ready to have a talk about this kind of stuff with his grandfather. She didn't know if he was aware Wukong even felt this way. Y'know, if any of what he'd said was true. Maybe it was, Sarah couldn't parse it all. This kind of family fighting wasn't new to her, but it was on a level she couldn't really comprehend. Why go this far for someone rather than put that effort back where it needed to be? Why start something new with a complete stranger? If her mother had even said half the things Wukong had just admitted to...

Would she be willing to give it a try?

"They called him your lapdog, by the way." Sarah said, unable to keep a slight snarl out of her voice. It brought the pain back to the forefront of her thoughts again, but her anger kept it tempered. "Or maybe it was 'gopher'. I mean, they said that about your grandson. I let them say that! You missed it after the play. All that work he does, and no one ever thinks of him outside of your shadow."

And outside of my screwups.

Sarah sighed, most of the anger just draining back out into a sort of dejected gloom.

"He doesn't deserve that. So what if they hate you? You might not have heard it, but I think just about every hero in this stupid city hates me. And all I want to do right now is go home, get a long hug, a hot drink, and crawl into bed. Maybe fall asleep watching the Action 10 Squad. But tomorrow? Maybe I'll feel better. In a week, maybe I'll forget this all ever happened (yeah right). Maybe it'll just be that one other time a bunch of stuck up heroes told me off for doing their job."

"But I can at least try again. Maybe I'll get it right next time. Why can't you?"
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-03-21 at 12:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

"F***!" Sam swears at the empty corridor as Lukas vanishes. That did not turn out the way she wanted it to. Not that she was sure quite how she did want that to go. She bangs her inhibitor with one hand, watching the red light's blink.

"Could of just shot him," she mutters, ignoring the small voice that points out that that's exactly why they gave her one in the first place. Smacking it again, she is rewarded by another light beginning to glow, and a renewed sense of frustration.

Sam sighs and glares down the corridor, then frowns at her feet. If she wasn't going to smash his slimy, greasy, pasty face in, she supposes she ought to think smarter, or something. Sarah wouldn't hang around in the main corridor. After all, they met up in some passage somewhere. Near the kitchens, or something? So it stands to reason that she'd get out of the 'fancy' space as quick as she could, right?

Or so Sam hoped, as she hurriedly pushed open the nearest service door, heading away from Lukas, and (she hoped), as quickly towards Sarah as she could.

19. - Top - End - #349

BlueWizardGirl

Alex
    Influence on: Drake, Hive, Nuisance

The authority of the Queen of Moonshadow is absolute, her voice booming through the hall and even the rebellious Alex would be hesitant to make a fuss now. So she gave a slight bow, barely more than a respectful nod of the head to the host. A gesture that would've probably be seen as mockery in her normal body (and getup) but was elevated through the Lion's more elegant movements and wardrobe, "I apologize for my outburts, it won't happen again", Alex heard herself say with Wenzhou's voice and then made her way back to her seat trying her hardest not to break out in laughter at the sight of Liu being hoisted into the air, but can't prevent a sly grin.

The Warrior himself was waiting for Alex, his imposing presence filling the empty space around him, almost seemingly pushing people away he didn't want near him. Alex didn't feel exactly comfortable in his presence, but at least he wasn't creeping her out like the Sorcerer. She hoped that she never had to see that thing again. "Maybe getting their attention was part of the plan", Alex answered and even felt brazen enough to add a wink. Especially considering that they didn't have a plan...at all. They didn't even spot their mark yet and worse...her partner had run off to who knows where. Maybe he had spotted something? Anyway, there was a possibility they could utilize the increased attention on the Lion to their benefit. "My travels where large uneventful", Alex answered the second question that she had gotten the second time now this evening, starting to wonder if she was missing some kind of code phrase.

"So...any items in the auction you are particularly interested in? The most curious item on that list is the Paladin spot I think. I wouldn't have expected you would expand the Warlord Ranks like that...leaving it all up to chance...unless you don't and already know who'll take the winning bid."

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Zodiac, Wenzhou, The Warrior...basically everyone not listed below: The Mingle

John Booth Daily furiously scribbles notes as Zodiac mugs for the camera. The words "Stormchasers" on his lips as he sets to work. With the rather abrupt dismissal even John stands though he's not at all going to let you just get away from him. Not tonight. "Is there a reason you came up with that name?" he asks pointedly, the first of many questions as you're ushered into the grand hall of the Monsoon where the evening's events are mostly to take place.

The hall is massive, the floor cleared and various booths for the various events already laid out. Food is served buffet style though servers are on the move with drinks and little taster platters for guests. Music drifts through the hall and the ceiling above hangs heavy with ornate lights wrought to appear as a latticework of flowering vines. Between the food and perfumes and colognes the smell of actual flowers power through and many a display mocked up like pillars are covered in creeping vines. The hall quickly fills and it's not long at all for various small groups to cluster. Most avoid you Zodiac but you've still got John.

"Do you think it's wise to call out one of the most notorious villains in the city while at the same event? Especially with the Weather Report seemingly having their sights on you? Can you tell us why they might in the first place? Do you think they're still sore about your successes at the Zoo or do you think they've latched on to some other personal vendetta? What do you hope to see tonight? Are you excited that your Hero Card is going to debut in tonight's auction?" The questions come rapid fire and the panels leave the massive text box to zoom back to Alex and her entourage.

The Warrior and his audience find a nice quiet corner of the main hall to settle in to. Of course many a villain and even some heroes seek to join the throng but the Warrior is occupied with you. For the time being. These all are turned away as wine and food are brought to you both. Maybe there was something to be said to this villain stuff? No one would do this for you as Alex. At least not yet. With the privacy, the Warrior seems to relax or perhaps...simply lets the tiredness show. "I was hoping for some exploits on your road back to San Fransapporo." he grumbled as his large mitt moved to sweep some gyoza past yellowed teeth. "I suppose there is nothing for it, you're as tight lipped as ever. We will have to get some beer in you." A motion of the Warrior's other large hand and a frothy mug of something dark and yeasty is presented to you. Another rumble issues from the Warrior at the rather pointed question, the old villain even sitting up a little more with a gleam of something not at all comforting in his rhumey eyes.

"Eying the position for yourself? Maybe settling down as you get closer to my age eh Lion?" The throng of hangers on chuckle though they're probably all forced to. The question doesn't seem directed at Wenzhou however. It seems as he's talking directly to you, Alex. "I've heard you came into a great deal of money recently. Enough to maybe make a bid? You'll have to tell me about your heist at the Grand Clock Hotels in London before you finish that beer." Again, it seems he speaks to you Alex. The request not really a request. "Either way, the Warlords aren't permitted to bid on any item since we put some up in the first place. It's all politics, so's the title. A gesture to keep negotiations on the Criminal Code being re-written more smooth than they were before. I won't bore you with the details. Unless you win that title. Then you'll have to be bored like the rest of us. The Cleric handles these things but she's been out of the city too long."

Nuisance, The Monkey King: In Darkness

The Monkey King only grunts, he doesn't really need to be at sales pitches. He's got departments for that. "I told you. My grandson asked me to help you. There were deals made, I am upholding my side of the deal. Take that as you will from a terrible salesman." The teasing is gruff but it's still teasing...or maybe he's being serious. It's hard to tell in the dark. "To answer that you'll have to ask my grandson. He didn't ask me to help them and I'm not induced to do so unless I have to. Wasn't particularly eager to help you either until my grandson asked me to. I didn't question his motives, he didn't question mine either. There's more gear on the way, when you're ready and that's all I have to offer on the matter."

With a loud groan the old Monkey King stands, the sound of cane on tile clacking slowly as he finds his feet. Another grunt at the accusations. "Do you know how a poor Cantonese boy became one of the richest men in the world? By not listening to the words of some petulant little girl throwing temper tantrums because she is no longer, as you children say, hot ****." Another long drag from his cigar, another long trail of dark smoke as he exhales. "I listen even less when I know they're lies. If you speak to them, that just gives them a kernel of truth. My grandson will prove them wrong, the ones who care to pay attention. You shouldn't take the fault on yourself, what would you have done? What would you have said there in front of all those people eager to believe in venom and to call it milk? You'd only have made them doubt you. You instead took their anger with silence. Yes, you ran, but you are not a hero. Yet. You did the right thing staying silent if you ask me. What would your Alex have done? Your Hive? What would my grandson have done? You showed everyone there that you were everything they said you weren't. Some child is going to see this on the television tonight or tomorrow or a week from now and they're going to want to be like you. If."

Of course there was some condition, isn't there always with people like Wukong? "If." he continues pointedly, tapping his cane on the ground to punctuate the statement though his tone grows soft, one might even say grandfatherly. "You get up and out of here and show them you're going to be a hero no matter what. Maybe you're not a hero right now and maybe you're the runt of your crew. Maybe you'll fail. Maybe you'll have to go home and watch cartoons a few more times until you get it right. I know for certain if you don't even try, none of those roads will be open to you. You'll have closed them off forever and you'll just be some girl. If you want to be a hero it means accepting not everyone is going to like you. Some might even hate you. But you have to be a hero for them all the same, you don't get to pick and choose who you hero for. Try again indeed, but you won't have a foot to stand on if it's in a week or in two or three. You must try, tonight. The world is still watching."

Wukong's face crinkles however at the last question. Words of wisdom...or whatever they are...aside, in the gloom the Monkey King hesitates though the gruffness in his voice returns. "I see no reason to discuss that in the dark let alone with some girl. Nuisance, perhaps, elsewhere. When you see her, tell her we can open those wounds some other time. Maybe. Also tell her she shouldn't press her luck just because an old man is feeling sentimental. She might forget herself."

Spoiler
    Show
    He is totally telling you who you are. Roll to reject or shift your labels. Savior up, mundane down.

The White Wolf: Interrupted

That went well! She didn't turn you into a smear on the wall and she really didn't even question you much. You're making friends, it's just that easy.

Unfortunately the whole stalking silently through the shadows thing isn't as easy as that and as you put your distance between one familiar face you close the distance with another. One of your teachers no less. You barely miss her as you once again find yourself joining up with the crowd. She gives a very un-villain like sqwak as the two of you barely avoid one another before a hand reaches out to grab your own in the confusion. "Oh my, look who decided to join us again." Her cheerful tone would be probably a little more unnerving if she didn't sound like she did every morning in your Chem 102 class. Or maybe it's more so now because of that.

"I was really excited to hear you'd be joining us. I admit, I really love your work." Molotov offers you a friendly smile as she tries to lead you into the main hall with herself and crew. "I never thought I'd be helping oversee a project with you on board though! A dream come true really." She leans close as you walk, a few papers stuffed into a pocket. "I took the liberty of getting the floor plans for where they're keeping the item. Why don't you come and get a drink with me, instead of lurking the hallways. The groundwork's done and the meeting isn't until after the auction."

You could pull away, you've got the plans and she seems to think you're just working. Are you going to leave a poor lady alone though? Would the White Wolf?

Spoiler
    Show
    You're going to need an Unleash or another roll if you're set on finding Nuisance. Otherwise, welcome to plot-city!

Hive: Hallways

You just stood up to one of the more infamous heroes in the country, it may not mean much to you but you've got balls of steel. Well not balls, and not steel. Regardless, if Nuisance was here now she'd probably be psyched over the whole exchange. Now if only you could find her. The halls on eitherside of you are rather loud, the auditorium obviously having just gotten out. A few bells chime and jingle as you continue your hunt. The dull roar of people is silenced as the service door closes shut behind you. The air within is cool, the re-arrangement having opened some of the stairs to the cool night air. You're rather high up you note, the city beyond shrouded in the last misty bits of rain as the stormclouds wash out to see.

The Monsoon is huge, you can see even more stairways from your vantage point. The White Wolf's words echo all over the place. Why haven't you found her? You're her friend. You'd know best where she'd go and hide. With the inhibitor on you couldn't get much of a view on where Sarah might be but...that's really your only choice. You're one person and covering so much ground would be impossible. If you're going to find Nuisance, either you'll have to get lucky tapping into security cameras or....take the inhibitor off and really set to work. The options are few, the repurcussions probably not worth it on the one side. The other...well. Nuisance is alone and in need of a pep talk. What do you do?

Spoiler
    Show
    You're going to need to get an Unleash or some other roll here I'm afraid.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show
    • Danger: +1
    • Mundane: +0

Show
    • Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
    • The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
      - What are they up to

Drake exits the auditorium at a brisk pace, never breaking stride even as Daily deluges him with questions. He'd been trained on dealing with the media shortly after his Grandfather arrived in San Fransapporo, and it was coming in handy.

"Trouble has a special sound. Maybe it's a stadium full of screaming people, maybe it's the roar of fire monster terrorizing a zoo, maybe it's the wind from a sudden storm on top of a skyscraper tearing at your ears. And sooner or later, there's always sirens." It wasn't long ago Drake had given Sarah a version of this same talk. The talk his mom had given him. "My mom - you remember, White Rabbit - she once told me that there's two kinds of people. The ones that run from sirens, and the ones that run toward them. We're the kind that run toward them. We don't run from the storm, John, we chase it! And that's why we're the Stormchasers."

One lesson that stuck with Drake was that questions are suggestions; it's best to always answer the questions you wanted them to ask and ignore the rest. It was a good lesson. As Drake walks, John's questions wash over him in a wave, and as they do, he remembers Nuisance's speech.

He stops in his tracks in the grand atrium and looks around at all the food, the guests, the decorations. He answers the questions with one of his own. "What is all of this for?" The gold accents on his tuxedo glint in the light as Drake spreads his arms wide and spins back around. Facing John, he peers into the camera at the audience, half his face obscured by the leering dragon mask. He has an audience right now, a platform. Might as well use it.

"Raising money for the Zoo. That's what it says on the program, right? But they didn't need us here for that, did they? No, we're here so that the powers that be can put us in our place. The Warlords just stole a multi-billion dollar flying weapons platform. And nobody, not the Weather Report, not the Guardians, have anything to say about it! We're in the cross-hairs because we stepped out of line. Because, in their world, crime is legal. They allow it because they control it. Just like the weather. I mean, how insane is that? But do they really have as much control as they want us to think they do? Are the Warlords behind the fire elemental that attacked the Zoo? Or was it somebody else, somebody beyond their grasp? Crime is like the weather - you can't control it forever. There's a storm brewing, whether they like it or not. They can deny it all they want, pretend like they're some kind of storm king. But it's coming anyway. And when it breaks, we're going to chase it, whether they like it or not."
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-03-30 at 05:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

Hive tries at least three doors before she remembers just how big this place is. Slamming the door on yet another set of mops, she sighs and looks back down at the inhibitor on her wrist, then slides down the wall to slump on the ground.

Somehow it disrupted her nanites in a very specific way. Obviously it couldn't turn everything off, or she'd be dead by now. So it stood to reason that it must have some way of working out when she was trying to break the rules. So if she could isolate it, maybe that would stop it from jamming her. Maybe...

Without anything better to go off, Sam sighs and a section of her dress detaches. Balling it up, she works it like soft clay, smothering the blinking red lights on her wrist, while another tendril works its way up to the ceiling, aiming for yet another security camera.

A second tendril, this time of guilt, worms its way around inside her head. But it wasn't like she was taking the bracelet off, or anything. It wasn't actually breaking the rules (but it was bending them, the voice inside her head pointed out). With her conscience not remotely assuaged, Sam continues with her task, a thundercloud of a frown forming on her forehead.

Show
    I hate to do the same thing again, but I guess that's what Sam would try and do. That means another unleash: (2d6+1)[8]

I would mark a condition to make that a 10+, but the conditions that make sense (guilty, insecure) are already marked.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2019-03-31 at 03:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353

BlueWizardGirl

Alex
    Influence on: Drake, Hive, Nuisance

There was a sly grin appeared on Alex's fake face as she took the beer without hesitation. All the pomp and luxury wasn't really for her, but just getting a beer without being eyed with (rightful) suspicion as you show your fake idea...that was something she could get used to. She took a good long sip from the beer, not long enough however as to appear that she was stalling the questions posed by the Warrior. She laughed and just in time caught herself not to wipe the little bit of beer foam off of her upper lip with her invisible hand, instead licking it off in time.

"Me? Settling down, as the Paladin?", she chuckled, "We both know that life would not suit me and the title of Paladin even less. If anything...I'm the Barbarian", she gave the hint of a wink to the Warrior as if she was referring to an inside joke between them. "Besides, I love my independence too much. All this..." and she made a wide gesture with her glass in hand to encompass the room, "it's nice and all, but only for a evening. I don't like organizing, delegating, I like getting my hands dirty and keep my responsibilities to a minimum."

She grinned again and took another swig from her glass. "As far as my exploits in London go...now do you want to know how I managed to rob 3 hotel safe vaults at the same time by myself, what I was after or why I did it? Well for point number one...the greatest thieves and magicians have one thing in common. Never reveal your secret tricks...but I'll give you this...what if I wasn't at 3 different locations, but 3 different locations became one?" Alex made a dramatic pause, having pulled most of that out of her imagination and a rather unknown super hero heist movie she saw when she was a kid, "As for what I was after? Their reputation, their honor of course. They boasted about the safety of their establishment...I had to teach them a lesson...they basically invited me. Which is also why I did it. The challenge, the adrenaline, the humiliation...teaching those that think they can't fall a lesson. It's what I do. If I was in it for the money...I could've settled down years ago."

She finished her beer and set it down on a small table nearby and gave the Warrior a small bow...just elegant enough not to come off as mockery, "Now...are you satisfied, Warrior? Or do you want to hear another tale? If not...I have mischief to plan."

24. - Top - End - #354

Zombie

Nuisance

"...Ouch..."

She'd been much to informal. Sarah couldn't remember the last time she'd been scolded like that. It hurt to listen to, but she couldn't argue with him. It was infuriating how she felt simultaneously insulted and in agreement with the old geezer at the same time. Was this what Drake was talking about when he complained of his grandfather? No, that didn't sound right, Drake was much better put together than she was. At the very least, Wukong seemed to think very highly of him, if he was so confident the rumors and slander would clear up so easily. Sarah had a much different experience with that sort of thing.

Still, it was perhaps the most degrading pep talk she'd ever been given. To be told it wasn't her fault, it was like being talked down to with praise. "Disappointed, not angry", her mother used to say. It didn't feel great, but it certainly helped put a stop to her moping. Nothing really did clear away guilty sorrow quite like the feeling of petulant anger. Even so, she had no comeback for the Monkey King. He was much better at words than she was, likely showing his age and experience there, and she had nothing left to say anyways; he was right. She was going to have to go back upstairs at some point, might as well square her shoulders for it. They could point and laugh at her all night if they wanted, but she needed to see her friends again, to make sure they were ok. She needed to enjoy the evening, heroes or no heroes. And she really, really needed to go to wherever they were serving the most food.

Sarah mumbled a small appreciation for Wukong's weaponry gifts before excusing herself as politely as she could this time. She then fixed the mask Sangha gave her back on and stormed up the stairs back towards the hallway. Next time she met with the Monkey King, she would hopefully be much better prepared.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tanuki, the Delinquent

Tanuki was caught off guard to see yet another familiar face, almost a bit too close. Definitely too close, as she gave a surprised squawk when they nearly collided. It felt like not even a moment had passed from when he’d managed to break away from Hive; he really needed to stop doing this, constantly nearly bowling people over didn’t feel very in character.

At least he’d already got one shock in and out of the way, and so was perhaps still in the frame of mind to be quickly covering up his tracks, awkwardly or not. Otherwise he might have given himself away immediately by gawking in astonishment, although he probably did still look a bit surprised to see it was Ms. Clementine he’d almost crashed into! Here! In the Monsoon? In truth, she’d actually been one of his favourite teachers, for a subject he wasn’t really good at; while he definitely wasn’t stellar at analyzing chemical compounds and formulas, she’d always managed made Chemistry even vaguely interesting, in a way that made him wish he was good at it. That, and everyone in Chem 102 always seemed to be well behaved without Ms. Clementine ever really flexing her authority. All of the students just seemed to either like her enough not to act out in her class, or perhaps subconsciously had sensed something that kept them in their place. Now, Anthony had to wonder!!

He didn’t really have time to wonder however, feeling a rush of adrenaline as he realized her hand was holding his now, and felt both incredibly anxious and unfathomably awkward.

Struggling to process and catch up as he realized she was speaking, he once again let out one of those quiet little chuckles that the White Wolf seemed to be overly free with. One might think he was a fun, easy going fellow, but Anthony knew at least enough to be disturbed. He was at least slowly getting the hang of just how much amusement to put into those little laughs though. Lukas Frisk made it sound cool somehow, lazy but not insincere, and Anthony couldn’t quite figure out how that was supposed to work but he did his best.

“A little too excited perhaps? You almost floored me,” Tanuki answered in an overly teasing tone that suggested such a thing would never have actually happened. He tried to sound playful enough to be friendly however; while the White Wolf was known to be cold in actuality when pressed, he apparently had quite a sly streak, preferring to give the wrongful impression that he was easily befriended.

Offering up a crooked little grin at the praise for his work, he decided not to fight immediately as ‘Molotov’ began to tug him along. It wasn’t like he’d really had any great or concrete plan, anyway... Though he’d been spurred by his emotions, finding Nuisance probably wasn’t the most logical use of his time, even if thinking like that made him a little angry. That he had to be in this position, where he couldn’t focus on helping a friend first and foremost... and it was all his own fault.

Shaking his head a little to clear it, he tried to stay focused on keeping up the facade and actually listening.

“Oh, the feeling was mutual actually,” He drawled with the hint of a purr. “I was impressed with the level of tenacity you’ve brought to other projects in the past,” Anthony bluffed along with a little smirk that implied he’d been keeping tabs on her work even if this was apparently their first project ‘together’. He couldn’t possibly imagine what the heck Ms. Clementine might be doing in the world of villainy, but she seemed like the sort of person that would give any project her all, if her classroom persona was at least even partially true. He could only hope it was generic enough praise that it didn’t sound out of place.

A pale brow arched as he realized something had been passed into his pockets, but he forced himself simply to hold her gaze and not draw attention to it. Did she say floor plans? Well... that might actually be useful. Did he just receive a bit of good luck? He was too scared to jinx it by having too much hope, but it was actually a little thrilling to think his fumbling might have just got him a lead. Now he’d just have to find a way to escape and get back to Alex, somehow...

“You know I like my lurking...” He began in the same teasing tone, feigning a hint of a pout with his lips, “...you never know what you’ll find...” He chuckled again, feeling immensely awkward. Was he flirting with his chemistry teacher? Oh god. Being surrounded by Molotov’s crew had him feeling a little extra tense as well, to say the least. But the White Wolf wouldn’t refuse a drink with an objectively pretty woman, not without good reason... and apparently they had business together, to boot. Great.

“How could I refuse?” He relented impishly, fingers tightening around her hand briefly in further confirmation, hoping that he had applied just the right amount of pressure for just the right amount of time to seem alluring and not weird. I mean, he found Lukas to be weird, sure, but most people seemed to find him enticing, whereas Anthony had almost zero idea how not to be a dweeb when it came to romantic interactions, with or without his chemistry teacher involved. PREFERABLY WITHOUT. He was just trying desperately to just play it cool and seem pleased with himself, as the White Wolf would be (I mean, this just practically screamed Sexy Spy Business and that was right up his alley, if not forming the entire structure of his alley) even though the current situation left Anthony internally screaming each time he forced himself to smile slyly at his teacher. Maybe he should drop out of chemistry, if he survived this night.
    Last edited by The_Specialist; 2019-04-18 at 09:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Zodiac: Main Floor

John Booth Daily nods along, not seeming interested in fact checking or even interrupting with side questions as Drake lays it all out there for everyone to see. He waits until the end, raising his pen from paper before giving a double take. "Oh! I'd be remiss to ask, we're still a hot news paper, will your team be getting matching costumes with the name cha-oh Miss Watanabe? You know Drake I believe, can you give some comments or are you busy?"

The question interrupted brings only one panel, shooting to Gabrielle Watanabe. Elegant in a skin hugging black dress with platinum blond hair that almost brushes the floor and a figure that any dancer might envy, a small blurb pops up for the readers. In Enter The Dragon, a preliminary introduction to Drake as part of the team, Miss Watanbe is an ex-girlfriend of Drake. The details are brief on the small face shot of the the glamorous young lady, listing "healing powers" and "arranged date" along with star sign and the designer of her dress. She cradles a glass of champagne in one hand and a large black cat themed tote along with her. The next panel shows her brushing in next to Drake, lips pursed. "I suppose if it's for the Herald." she breathes, glancing only briefly at Drake.

Hive and Nuisance: Access Hallway

The nanite stream around the bracelet seems to work but for how long you've no real idea. The security camera flicks on, though fuzzy, long enough to catch movement down several halls away from you in the twisting maze the Monsoon has become. A flash of red and white and distinctly Nuisance sized and heading towards you fast. You're in the right place and soon the right time as Nuisance speeds away from the dark stairwell. She's followed by a figure you don't recognize, someone with a cane and dressed to the nines.

The panels flash a few moments before as Nuisance stands to leave.

"The truth stings, but it's important to say all the same." Wukong mumbles, standing as well. He offers a hand to the darkness for you to go first even as you make your move away and up the stairs Nuisance. The cane behind giving you all the more incentive to get out while you can. Another lecture is probably soon to follow if Drake has told you the truth about the old man.

The panels launch back to Nuisance's point of view, waiting it seems for Hive to appear around the bend.

Wenzhou the Lion, The Warlords: Main Floor

The crowd listens with rapt attention, though not the Warrior. He listens with the judging gaze of one of your teachers. Someone testing you, someone looking for something. Some answer, some right answer. When you've finished, the Warrior gives a small clap. "Exactly what I wished to hear." It's all theatrics, the giant monster playing his part well but anyone looking would know that this is all pageantry. A brow across every face raises when you set the beer down however, the Warrior's large hand coming down on your shoulder, the other offering you your glass as you come up from your bow. Memories flash through your mind of various pre-heist celebrations, cherry blossoms falling in an empty glass of bubbly brown.

"You must be truly eager to start, to forget finishing this." The Warrior rumbles, several other members of the Warlords watching intently, almost...fanboyish. "Or do you think you won't need all that good luck you talk so much about, at the bottom of a pint?"

Spoiler: Alex
    Show
    Seems you've missed something and people are starting to get a little suspicious. Roll + your Suspicion Track. On a miss, mark one Suspicion and relent on whatever demand is being made. On a hit, excuse away the sitaution though people are going to watch you closely. On a 10+, you downplay the situation.

The White Wolf, Molotov: Main Floor

Molotov is all blushes and coyness, the compliments sealing the deal and the closeness only seeming to help matters. She takes your arm, leading you into the main hall proper without so much as a second thought and all you can see in your mind is a steel trap, now shut. "You flatterer, if I didn't know any better I'd almost be taken completely!" Molotov laughs much too loudly, trying to cover just how much the flattery really did take her as she finds a place to sit. The main hall of the Monsoon is packed with familiar and unfamiliar faces alike, some dancing, some drinking but mostly the socializing has begun in full. You even spy Wenzhou and the Warrior nearby.

"I'll have one of mine fetch us a drink, it'll give us more time to talk." A hand gesture and a terse order some something you don't recognize later, Molotov is practically in your lap and her breath a whisper in your ear as she plays with a button on your jacket. "I've stashed the plans for your heist in one of the private rooms. That girl, from the stage, its in her team's room. Figured we could put the heat on them if the place was searched. It's behind the TV."

Molotov gives you a coy look, laughing as if you'd whispered something back. The eyes of the Warrior flash upon you only briefly as Wenzhou gives a bow though it seems they're not free yet. Neither are you as the drink arrives, Molotov taking it from one of her people before offering it to your lips. "But like I said...after the auction." It's less a question and more like a demand, one punctuated with her in your lap no less.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

Head tilted on one side, Sam frowns intently as she jacks into the security camera, then nods abruptly, nanites retreating from the ceiling with a sudden jerk. She pauses for a moment, balling up the long tentacle of shimmering blue fabric, then absent-mindedly winds it back into the shimmering waves of her dress. Sucking the last of her 'shield' off the red bracelet covering one wrist, Hive strides forward, moving determinedly towards Nuisance's location.

Whoever the other, excessively dressed, figure was, it was clear enough that Nuisance was trying to avoid them. Some kind of parasite like Lukas Frisk, Sam assumes, anger grumbling away in her gut. But she'd get rid of them, or, as the snide voice in her head reminded her, probably get completely ignored like last time.

So she rounds the corner, footsteps clacking loudly against the polished concrete floors of the monsoon, and tries for her best smile as Nuisance approaches.

"Hey! How... are you?"

A pointless question to ask someone last seen fleeing in tears, Hive realizes as soon as she begins, but the sentence once started could not be stopped, and so she finishes it, with nothing more than an internal wince.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show
    • Danger: +2
    • Mundane: -1

Show
      - What are they up to

The dragon mask is impassive, but Drake's visible eye widens in surprise as he turns his head. What is she doing here? he wonders. He almost says something, but the cameras are still rolling, so he forces a tight smile as the attention is redirected onto his ex-fiancee.

John Booth Daily, either unaware of the obvious tension or in spite of it, presses on as the cameras roll. The usual questions are first, about humanitarian work, about a long list of hero names and how their relationships ended or evolved, there's a stench of the Herald's old ways about it all really. Something voyeuristic and shallow but it all seems to be part of a carefully laid path because the next question comes loaded.

"To more recent news, if you don't mind Miss Watanabe. I believe you and Drake here were acquainted for a short time. I'm not sure if you've kept up with the news here but Drake and his team have been making some waves. Do you have a comment?"

Gabrielle gives another thoughtful look before giving Drake another once over. A spark of recognition seems to come across her features finally as if something jogged her memories. "I hadn't, would you care to bring me up to date?"

As Daily interviews Gabrielle, Drake's thought bubbles are filled with a constant drone of unsuccessful attempts to calm himself down. It takes all of Grandfather's media training for Drake to keep it together; there'd be time for a full-on freak-out later once he got back to the room. And then John, ever the crafty bastard, drops the hammer. With media friends like these...

Adrenaline starts to surge through Drake. In the past six months he'd fought a raging fire elemental, a freaky Frankenstein, and giant ice snakes. He'd stood up to his Grandfather, a coven of witches, and his own freaking powers! He could handle the dismissive judgment of one prissy, pampered princess, and even look good doing it.

Standing up a bit straighter and puffing his chest out just a bit, he grins for the camera. "I'd be happy to! I know it's gotta be tough keeping up with the local news here in San Fran all the way from France, but a whole lot has been going on. Earlier this summer we helped save the zoo from a rampaging fire elemental, last week we rescued the city from a horde of electro-zombies and put a dangerous witch behind bars, and just the other day we saved the football stadium and thousands of fans from a pair of giant ice snakes. As you can see, we've been pretty busy!"

John Booth Daily couldn't be happier as you go down your list of good deeds though Gabrielle seems a little less enthused. "You've been quite busy Drake. I'd heard there was a new Worst Generation making waves in the city. Might that be your group?" Her tone is rather neutral as she finally shifts to face you with that unflinching gaze. "You've grown a lot since our date."

And just like that, Drake is back on defense, and he hadn't even seen Gabrielle block his shot. How does she always do that?! Drake gives another terse smile for the camera. "Well Gabrielle, maybe it's not your kind of humanitarian work, but we all do what we can in our own way. I like to think the Stormchasers have helped a lot of people and made a big impact for the good people of San Fransapporo."

Gabrielle raises an eyebrow, folding her arms about herself after a long sip from her glass. "Is that so? Is that what makes you so different from the other heroes of our fair city Drake? That you actually care about helping people rather than inflating your own self worth at the cost of everyone around you?"

The cameras are quick back on you Drake, John giving a nod towards you as if spurring you on as Gabrielle is as always, icy in her posture and gaze.

Drake holds his rictus grin, gritting his teeth, but any pretense of friendliness has left his eye. "The difference is that when I make it rain, I put out fires instead of pouring it on an undeserving girl! But since you care so much, maybe you should go share some of your righteousness with the Weather Report? Or how about the Warlords? That's what they're teaching you at that fancy school in France, isn't it?"

Gabrielle looks struck, raising up upon herself with a similarly icy glare. "I don't recall bringing either of those into the equation. Trotting them out like they're points in your favor when I am on record as to finding the whole business here in our city as disastrous hardly seems to help your case. After all, without heroes would we even have villains?"

"Our city she says, when she can't be bothered to keep up with the news, much less actually set foot here more than once a year. The only thing on your record is that you're too good to actually get your hands dirty! Do you even hear yourself anymore? Without firefighters would we even have fires? Without police officers would we even have bank robbers? Maybe it's time you pulled your head out of the clouds, Soleil, and start rubbing elbows with the rest of us mere mortals here on planet Earth."

"Fires and villains aren't the same. Isn't it true that half the Rogue's gallery out there is because heroes like you punish regular criminals so harshly they bring their grudges to bare to get even? The Warlords claim that, do you have evidence to the contrary?" Gabrielle waves a hand to dismiss the name calling, huffing loudly. "Super Villains can be stopped before they even start, building infrastructure in poor communities, increasing education and the rights of women just to name a few. Punching only makes monsters on either of your artificial sides. The world doesn't need another Son Wukong or The Warrior."

"And I'm so very glad that you have the solution to all the world's future problems, but that doesn't do a whole lot about the super villains we already have!" Drake throws an arm out, inviting the camera to sweep around at the mingling crowds, nearly half of whom are literally card-carrying villains in their own right. "Next time I'm saving a stadium full of people from giant ice snakes summoned by a coven of witches hellbent on destroying the world, I'll make sure to shill for the Watanabe Anti-Villainy School for the Socially Disadvantaged."

"Wonderful. I'll mail you some pamphlets." Gabrielle retorts, turning quickly to give John Booth Daily one of her icy gazes. "And you will be hearing from one of our consultants." The row has gathered a few onlookers, some of them the very villains you're doing a wonderful job illustrating. "This all reminds me," Gabrielle continues "why I only come back here once a year. The rest of the world has moved on and grown up. I guess some boys never do." With that, she swishes off without sparing a look over her shoulder.

[Gabrielle is telling Drake who he is. Drake accepts the Influence, shifting Mundane down (to -1) and Danger up (to +2).]

Drake watches Gabrielle sashay away with a snarl showing on half his face. "Hard to believe she's still single," he s sarcastically to the camera. He gives John a look as if to ask, was that good enough for you? and stalks off to the team's room.

29. - Top - End - #359

Zombie

Nuisance

Sarah's newfound resolution to enjoy the evening began to crumble the moment she actually ran into one of her friends. More specifically, this friend.

You let them call her a monster, the accusatory voice in her head returned with force. What is wrong with you? What happened to sticking up for your friends? Truth, Justice, all that hero stuff?

Sarah reddened in embarrassment and she quickly averted her gaze. One arm wrapped around the other behind her back as she found herself desperately wanting a hug from her friend and also trying not to break out crying for forgiveness. It was only Wukong's harsh words that stopped her from pursuing either action.

You shouldn't take the fault on yourself, what would you have done?

She took a few deep breaths and stepped closer to Hive.

"I'm...fine, Sam. Thanks." She whispered, though her friend could likely still hear her. Also, she was not fine; the voice inside her head telling her that she really should be apologizing profusely was only getting louder. It was telling her she should be doing anything to show she regretted her cowardice from earlier. Sarah found herself incapable of engaging with that thought. It was like trying to confess something to her dad, it was all way too awkward.

"Are...are you ok?" Came the hesitant response. Hive had been just as publicly denigrated as she'd been, but the chrome heroine seemed relatively unfazed. "I mean, they...they shouldn't have said all that, it was terrible. I'm..."

Well, there was no stopping it this time.

"I'm so sorry." Sarah finished weakly. She was too embarrassed to continue, or even to flesh out her apology. She didn't even know what else to say. Even with Wukong insisting that she wasn't at fault, the guilt wasn't so easy to erase. Sarah felt like she'd abandoned her friends, and she didn't know the first thing about fixing that.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

"I..."

Sam almost laughs when Sarah asks her how she is, choking it down to a cough at the look on Sarah's face. She works her mouth for a few moments, mind carefully searching for the right words, before continuing.

"Don't be sorry. I'm used to it. After a while you," Hive pauses and steps a little bit closer, steel boot clicking on the smooth floor, "learn to stop thinking about it, or something."

Sam pauses for a moment, trying to work out the expression on her friend's face. Is that fear? Or guilt? Either way, even to Sam's poorly calibrated emotional compass, something is very wrong. Hive shuffles her feet, opens her mouth and closes it again, then extends one hand to grip Sarah's shoulder.

"You're not okay." Her own voice sounds as rough irritable as ever, but Sam presses on regardless. "And that's fair enough. What happened back there wasn't fair, and it wasn't your fault, and I, I guess I'm sorry."

Squeezing Nuisance's shoulder with her metal arm, Hive can't help but feel inadequate as she peers at her friend's face, wondering if she made things better or worse.

Show
    Comfort/Support: (2d6-2)[7]

C'mon, here's for a good roll...

Yes! Here's to statistical implausibility!
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2019-04-25 at 03:47 AM.