New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Masks: The Worst Generation (IC)

Zodiac
    Conditions: Guilty, Insecure
    Potential: 1/5

Spoiler: Labels
    Show
    [LIST][*]Danger: -1[*]Freak: +0[*]Savior: +3[*]Superior: +1[*]Mundane: +0

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    [LIST][*]Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential. [*]Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
    - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
    - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
    - you keep your attacker’s attention[*]The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to
    - What or who do they care most about?
    - What allies do they have? Enemies?
    - Where and when can I find them?
    - How could I make them vulnerable to me?

The Library

Drake leans an elbow against the shelf as he tries to follow Sarah's chatter, but he quickly gives up. His eyes glaze over and his gaze wanders to the spot where Odette had been standing just a few moments before. The words just sort of wash over him, and it takes him a couple of seconds to process that she's finished. His blank eyes snap back to the girl in the present and he blinks a couple of times. "You can call me Drake, you know," is all he manages.

Realizing he hadn't answered Sarah's question, Drake shrugs non-comitally. "Dunno. Never really bothered me, I guess. I mean, what does it really matter, you know?" If he thought about it, Drake had a hard time remembering when he hadn't been the center of attention. Even before his hero career, he'd never had any siblings. He had always had a total monopoly on his family's love and affection. He'd also taken the full brunt of their expecations and disappointments. "People talk. Just... make 'em talk about what you want them to talk about. They're sayin' stuff you don't like? Change the conversation."

Speaking of changing conversations... Drake pushes himself off the shelf as he glances back at the door that Odette has since left through. "You and Swan went to middle school together? Were you... y'know. Close?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Conditions: Guilty
    Potential: 3/5

Alex didn't want to react to Tessa's comments and threats, didn't want to give away who she cared for most. But she couldn't help it, especially since she knew from the past that Tessa wasn't one to make empty threats. Alex wasn't really concerned about Drake. He could handle himself and could do his Puff the Magic Dragon routine, of Tess went after him they'd be in for a rude awakening most likely. But Nuisance was reliant on her suit. What would happen if Tess broke it while Sarah was phasing? But then she mentioned Sam and Alex acted without really thinking. She grabbed Tessa by her wrist, twisting it and pushing towards her felling her in one smooth motion and keeping her arm in lock as her opponent lay face down in the dirt. A little bit pressure and she would dislocate Tessa's arm. She didn't even needed her superior strength for the whole maneuver just her natural aptitude for fighting she had since the incident.

"Hive is a real person. She has a name, hopes, dreams. She's more genuine and real than you ****ed up, conniving ****-stain of a wannabe punk could ever be. Stay the **** away from her! Stay the **** away from the others!"

And with that Alex let her go, regret slowly settling in about what she just had done. She had showed her hand, showed who she was most concerned about and had assaulted another student. This could have ugly consequences.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Rolled a 4 on the provoke attempt, Tessa doesn't seem impressed I guess.

Last edited by Sahe; 2018-07-04 at 04:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions: Afraid, Insecure, Hopeless

Sarah was taken aback by Drake's question about Odette (why did every girl she knew have an unflattering nickname? Swans were mean!). She hadn't really known what to expect from her admission to Drake, but she certainly hadn't expected him to brush it all aside. Was he just unimpressed? Maybe stuff like superhero fights happened every other week for Zodiac. Yeah, that was probably it; he was just being nice and engaging with his rookie teammate. He even admitted that all this pressure she'd been feeling was something that didn't even phase him.

Stupid! Why would you tell him you got your butt kicked? Augh! He probably thinks you're an idiot now.

Sarah self-consciously hid her bandaged hand behind her back; there was no more need to revisit the "mirror match" she'd had with Looking Glass. It was even more embarrassing for him to call out her use of his codename. She really hadn't meant to keep calling him Zodiac, but it kept slipping out. Sarah had admired him as she had with all the heroes of her city (though his family was especially awesome), and getting to be on the same team had been a dream she'd never thought would come true. And now she was probably being rude by chattering on about herself and not saying his actual name and talking about stuff that wasn't really important.

"Odette?" She asked, following his gaze back towards the end of the row. "Oh. Uh, we were friends. I mean, she was friendly. I liked her in middle school, she was cool. 'We're Freckle Frens' she'd say. She always had something nice to say about everyone, even some of the bullies. We haven't spoken since then, so I guess we weren't that close."

Sarah suddenly felt guilty about having never tried to keep in contact with the other girl. Did she forget about people that easily, or had she been so shallow? They hadn't exchanged numbers, but they'd never hung out all that much in the first place. It was like having a classmate you liked talking with, or maybe just a friend whom you only saw at school.

"She seems to be doing pretty well though." Sarah admitted. "Did you see her uniform? Wow. And I didn't know you two knew each other! That's cool."

He even has her number! And they text! I guess we really weren't that close.

"Are you going to the Gala with her? I heard something about her dad getting you a ticket. I didn't even know her family had those kinda connections. Are you going in costume too?"

Sarah briefly amused herself with the thought of Zodiac dancing around the Gala in his dragon form, his scales flashing under the chandelier. There'd be a chandelier, right?

I guess that explains why she and Zodiac know each other. Wait a minute! I didn't even have a phone in middle school! Just one of those stupid watches that could call two numbers 'cause my parents thought I'd lose a real phone. Jokes on them! Lost that watch anyways.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-07-04 at 10:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    [LIST][*]Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential. [*]Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
    - you keep your attacker’s attention[*]The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to

The Library

Drake snorts at Sarah's impression of Odette's accent. He'd never been able to manage a particularly good one himself. "Going together? Me and Odette?" Drake shakes his head, blushing. "Nah, it's nothing like that, Swan and I go way back. We grew up in the same neighborhood. She always used to hang around the basketball courts before she looked like that." He makes a gesture at the empty air where Odette was before and laughs to himself. He starts to launch into a story about the old days before thinking better of it. "There was this one time where... nah, forget it, you had to be there."

He pivots his upper body, finally giving Sarah his full attention. "Anyway, let's talk Gala. There are rumors going around that we've got something crazy planned, but I haven't heard anything about it. However, I'm having dinner with my grandfather tonight, and if things go well I'm gonna have some big news for the team. Maybe even an announcement to make at Monsoon. I'm looking at getting tickets for the others too. It's a masked ball, so no costumes except, y'know, a mask. You can check the crossbow at the door," he says, winking. "I'm tuxing out for sure. Do you have a dress? Or does Looking Glass have you covered for that too?"

5. - Top - End - #125

Planetar

Dauntless
    Conditions: None

Ryan, despite still being concerned about Kaylee, couldn't help but quirk a smile at what she's saying. Oh, if only she knew... "Hey, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gossiping around the Gala. Heck, I hung around a bunch of people who were gossiping about the Gala around here for a while before I got sick about it, and before you came here, I was surfing the internet for stuff about it. It's less them just talking about the Gala and more about how most of the rumors here sounds straight from a kid's first fanfiction. Like, have you heard the rumor that we're gonna see Hexacross unmask himself for the first time at the Gala? It's real silly. Dude's been superheroing for, what, twenty-odd years and we don't even know what his favorite color is, let alone anything about his personal life. Hell, I'm not even really sure if the guy's human."

He leans back on the railing, looking back at the Monsoon. "'Sides, all the talk about the Gala made it real hard for me to actually get to know people here. Like, talk to them and actually get to know them, y'know? It kinda bums me out a bit."

6. - Top - End - #126

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions:
    Afraid, Insecure, Hopeless

The way Drake talked about Odette, the look he got as his gaze drifted away, caused a sly grin to spread across Sarah's face. Now she really wanted to talk about Odette. Drake Chang had a crush on his childhood friend! How was she supposed to keep this to herself?

But then Drake was all back to business. A little disappointing, but it was the reason Sarah had sought him out in the first place. His answer was more or less what she'd expected; there was no way the team was gonna do something stupid at this event. Everyone knew how bad they looked to the community after the fight at the zoo. No one was seriously considering jeopardizing that with wacky hijinks. Well, Reyna might have, but she'd seemingly disappeared after the whole Weekly Herald thing. Apparently the stunt was just more rumors and gossip, but that was nothing new. What came as a shock was Drake's last statement.

Sarah's face lost a bit of color as he talked about the dress code at the Gala. Specifically the code that stated she'd be wearing a dress. There was no way she owned anything fancy enough for something like this, and Looking Glass definitely hadn't mentioned that. Was the other hero that motivated to humiliate her? If she'd had doubts before, now Sarah knew she'd end up looking out of place. What was she supposed to say? What was she supposed to do?

Ask Drake for help? Sure. Add to her humiliation by begging her teammate for another helping hand. It was like asking a rich friend for a car, you just didn't do that. Nope, Sarah would just have to be resourceful. Somehow.

She was definitely gonna end up looking stupid again.

"A dress. Heh. Yeah!" Sarah mumbled noncomittally, not sure where to look as she lied again. This whole deceit thing was getting out of hand.

Stop being stupid! Just ask him you coward!

"Don't worry about it. I'm just looking forward to seeing the whole team there."

Stupid! What is wrong with you? This was the perfect opportunity!

Sarah was sure he would've helped if he knew. It was incredible to have someone like Drake on the team; he really was the linchpin of their squad. He was generous enough for even offering tickets to an event none of them would've ever attended.

"You're really nice, Drake." Sarah said, giving him a grateful smile. "I think we really lucked out having you lead the team."

Well, that was all she could really say. Nothing else had come to mind, and so Sarah quietly excused herself.

"Thanks for the advice." She said, turning to leave. "Good luck with your dinner date. I'll be sure to see you at the Gala! I'm sure that announcement's gonna be awesome."

Sarah hurried off to her next class. She'd have the rest of the week to freak out about finding a suitable "costume" for the event.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-07-09 at 07:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    - What are they up to

The Library

Drake flashes a quick half-smile at Sarah's compliment and waves as she turns to leave. Wait, what?! His eyes widen and he shakes his head and waves his arms frantically at Sarah's back. "It's not a date!" he says as the door swings closed. "We're just-" Slam! "...friends." Drake sighs as he hangs his head in defeat, but he cringes as the librarian shushes him and gives him the evil eye. Crazy old witch actually goes in for the hand-signs and the muttering, and Drake makes a mental note to go throw salt over his shoulder or something as he retreats back behind the bookshelves.

"Girls..." he mutters to himself. "Odette thinks I'm with Sarah? What's that carp about? I didn't even know she was going! And Sarah thinks me and Odette, as if that would ever happen. Joke's on them, 'cause I'm going with Ryan! Wait, that doesn't sound right. Ugh!" Drake forces himself to set aside thoughts of the Gala and focus on the task at hand as he starts searching the shelves. Where'd they shelve it this time. Are you under S... or... T?

As he searches the shelves, his mind starts to wander..

"I mean, would Sarah even want to go to the Gala with me?" he mutters to himself again as he looks.

"Pssht! She totally would! I'm me!" And now he's having both sides of the conversation.

"'Cept she called me nice. Girls don't date nice guys. They, like, use them to get stuff!" And now he's spiraling.

"She'd probably turn me down in front of everybody to make herself look cool. 'Oh, Drake, you're really nice but I totally think of you like a brother, and you're such a good team leader! I wouldn't want anything to come in between our friendship! Besides, I'm already going with Randy Douglas!'" Straight up nose-diving. The spin is unrecoverable. The wind howls, klaxons blare, seats are ejected to no avail. Goose's lifeless body bobs in the surf.

"Like she's so much better than me? Sarah thinks she can reject Drake Chang like that, she's got another think coming! She thinks I'm going to the Gala with Odette? I'll bet she'd like that! I'll show them! Me and my new homeboy Ryan are gonna roll up with some honies. Bet!" Crash!
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-07-06 at 03:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Alex and Co, Tessa: Outside

Tessa moves with you even as you pin them, no real resistance coming from them once they're grabbed though a high pitched whine screeches through the air as Tessa's powers kick off by reflex. The nanites in your body go erratic, not halted, though your friends belongings aren't as safe. Letting go of them, especially after such a threat, was probably not the most wise solution as they're quick to round on you.

They've never been as strong as you and even with their training and natural predilection towards violence, Tessa's always been more eager to get a hand on a weapon than straight up punching but with nothing on hand, their right hook is quick to connect. A few more follow before Tessa seems satisfied the message is clear. The sneer in their voice is clear as they brush themselves down. "Fine, I'll settle for the old crowd. Which one'd you like first Alex?"

The situation has certainly escalated as they turn on your friends, more than eager to give chase should they bolt.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mark a Condition.

Dauntless, Kaylee: Rooftop

Kaylee snorts derisively though not at any one thought in particular it seems as she takes another long drag from her cigarette. "Yeah, I'd heard that but it's nonsense. The Gala's just one big diversion anyway." Her tone changes, more in control, less snobbish disaffection, harder, tighter, almost like the many A.E.G.I.S agents you've had the experience of working with. "The city's pawning off some relics I hear. The auction's rigged, trying to get things out of town before a storm hits. All this weird weather? It's a sign and its got them all on edge. That's what I hear anyway."

She's quick to put out her cigarette after another long drag, sighing loudly as she turns back towards the door. "What's there to know in a day? After the Gala it'll be on to something else. Have to be proactive, maybe you and I can learn about each other some more. I'll be at the Gala, have an extra ticket. Could use a date. You game, Tin Man?"

Nuisance

The library door clicks behind you but the panels linger inside the room, the familiar face of Sam Carpinelli peeking out from behind another bookshelf after you.

You've a lot on your plate now don't you? You need a dress, maybe even a mask since this is going to be a Masquerade, and what about the rest of the evening? School's almost out, what classes do you have to round out the day, do they even matter?

Where do you go and what's your plan?

Drake

You're alone again in the Library and a reading list isn't your only problem. What book in particular are you looking for, or is it merely a diversion from the rest you've got piled up? School's almost out and Grandpa likes to eat early. Perhaps heading to his high rise would be best after class?

Where do you go, what's your plan?

9. - Top - End - #129

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Granted, letting go of Tessa maybe wasn't the brightest idea, but it had been Alex's weak attempt at preventing further escalation, but it was too late for that. Several phones and one laptop clattered to the ground as they suddenly got hot and sparks flew out of them and Alex could feel her own, burning in her pocket. Her nanites were also affected, the sensation was similar to when feeling slowly returned to a numb limb only that it was her entire body. Alex reeled a bit backwards and tried to get the phone burning a hole in her pocket out of there, but Tessa was already on her with a quick combo.

The hits didn't hurt Alex, as they were easily absorbed and only served to make her angry. She glared at Tessa. "I told you to **** off!", Alex said and pushed the palm of her forward, releasing the energy she had received from the blows she had just suffered against Tessa's chest.

Spoiler
    Show

I think this an Engage. Alex is trying to push Tessa a away and to the ground to show her, that there'll be more where that was coming from if she continues pushing.

[roll]2d6+21[roll] Messed up the roll, will post again for this in the OOC and put the result here.

Rolled a 12 from the OOC:
    - Impress/Frighten/Surprise the Opposition
    - Avoid their Blows.

Not taking advantage of "in a chinashop", we don't wanna destroy the school.
    Last edited by Sahe; 2018-07-07 at 04:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    - What are they up to

After School

The rest of the day passes uneventfully, and as the final bell rings, Drake races out of school. He doesn't have much time until dinner - he could catch the Phoenix Way straight into the city to meet Grandfather, but he really isn't dressed for the occasion, and they're going to have company. If he goes home to change, he'll be late for sure, and Grandfather hates waiting. He could transform and just fly home, but Mom doesn't like him using his powers like that (as if she never uses her super-speed to run errands). But she's probably at work, so flying was his best chance to get dressed and make dinner on time with a low risk of punishment. I guess it's Dragon time!

After a quick trip home and a change of clothes, Drake alights on the helipad on the roof of the Wukong Industries tower - or, as Drake likes to call it, Monkey Island. Quickly changing back, he checks his watch. He's about 10 minutes late - not ideal. Drake normally wouldn't have the stones to try to pull a fashionably-late entrance with Grandfather, but hopefully his appropriate dinner attire would tide some of the old man's ire. Adjusting his shirt cuffs, he makes his way to the elevator and punches in the code for Grandfather's personal suite. Nothing for it now. The battle has already been won - or lost.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-07-08 at 07:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Hive: Bear Island

The panels take a hard break from the rest of the crew, since the last jump in time one member has been absent. A splash of Hive crawling through the mountains of Bear Island are displayed, the massive figure cutting a fairly eager path through the underbrush and into the colder reaches. Even in summer, the peaks of Bear Island (Kodiak, Black and Panda) are capped in snow despite their relatively low altitude. Everyone knows why however. The peaks are owned by Lan, the Finch. This is not summer however. It is winter and as such the sway of the Winter Court is strong, no place stronger than Bear Island.

Hive is lucky that she is a seven foot tall machine being.

When the panel splash ends, Hive finds herself back in control, like waking up from a dream.

You, Hive, find yourself, in a massive series of tunnels. The air is cold, colder than outside and ice veins run the lengths of the tunnels casting the whole place in an eerie blue light. The tunnels are long and wide and even with your stride, walking seems to lead you to just more tunnels. You don't know how you got here. The last memories you had were with Alex after the talk with the Warlords. So let's, as you walk through a maze of ice covered answer some questions.

1. How did the talk with the Warlords go? They offered, and Alex accepted, a job with them. Did you join in on that? Did you decline? How did you deal with Alex after? Might be best to talk with Alex about how this scene went down. Maybe even a quick flashback post or two.

2. What was the last thing you were doing before...your memories stop and you woke up here?

3. Are you aware two days have passed? You've been gone two whole days. Will anyone miss you? Other than your team of course.

4. What was it like, being out like that. Has this happened before? Your machine mind taking over?

While you answer those, the tunnels lead you finally to a large room. You've found yourself here by an ever growing red gleam in the ice. There's no need to answer why your body brought you here when you enter the cavern. The wall above is covered in ice but there's no mistake something crashed through the cavern ceiling. That thing, cruel and barbed and most importantly damaged, is a Harvester ship. The red glow comes from it, an insidious and violent color that is set against the natural splendor of a giant crystal lake whose shores the ship sits.

The lights pulse, like breath, as if the ship were alive. Each breath seeks to draw you closer. A beacon. A warning beacon or...something like that. The ship, in all its jagged and mangled cruelty, sits waiting. For you, Hive.

Zodiac: Monkey Island

Wukong Industries is an easy landmark, also within sight of the Monsoon. Tall, ornate and with the general pagoda flair that many of the high rises of San Fransapporo bear, you couldn't miss it even if your family didn't own it. Even late as you are it seems the rest are even more so, or at least they're elsewhere in the building as you reach the residential areas of the building. Miss Shu, long suffering secretary of your Grandfather, is swift to usher you into a room you know well and dread. The meditation room.

Among all the various...no better way to put this...vanity rooms...in your Grandfather's sprawling estate, the meditation room stands alone as his masterpiece. Sand garden, naturally cultivated wisteria brought from his home country, and an almost iron clad rule of silence. That rule seems relaxed today as you're ushered in, Wukong sitting at one of the many small funished hutches built to naturally work in with the walls. The battle was begun when you sent the text and it seems that poking the bear and giving it time has only let your Grandfather stew.

"Son" comes the chilly tone of the mostly retired hero. "Come. Sit. The others are enjoying some of my Luzhou Laojiao, I brought a bottle for us to share. We've much to discuss." The last sentence hangs on the page even as you make your way forward. No matter the panel, those words are etched. Every panel. Every page. Until you sit across from him.

Alex and co, Tessa: Outside

Tessa is sent sailing though she regains themselves quickly enough, springing back to their feet after a controlled fall showing off just how much of a fighter she really is. They're not strong enough to take you on one on one, not without using their powers and you know well enough they have some manner of recharge on them but it doesn't seem that's on the table. "Not bad" Tessa grunts as they wipe a hand down their chest, shirt damaged and a chest wrap underneath not looking too good either.

"Don't think you get the point though, it's not you I'm interested in. Just your friends. It'll hurt you more." Their eyes return to your friends who after the powers have started to be thrown about are close enough to running that a growl from Tessa is enough for them to flee. Tessa's not as strong as you but they're fast. Limber, a gymnist more than a boxer and they're off like a shot. Elena seems their first target, quickly gaining on your friend.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-07-08 at 07:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Conditions: Angry

Tessa is fast and nimble, darting after Elena, seemingly her favorite victim. But Alex is also fast, she takes after Tessa, leaping forward and landing between them and Elena, catching their fist in hers "I told you to stop", then she crushed Tessa's fist in her own hand and pushed her away violently.

Show

Rolled an 8 to defend Elena
    - Clearing Guilty
    - Escalating the Situation by stepping up the violence.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    - What are they up to

Drake gulps and his hair starts to stand on end when Miss Shu leads him to the Meditation Room. He had miscalculated. Badly. It's possible that nobody in the history of the world had ever been as badly screwed by puntuality as Drake was in this very moment.

"Son", Grandfather had called him. Drake had always been uncomfortable with Grandfather's loose language about their relationship. He had only met the old man a few years ago, and he hadn't been much of a father or a grandfather to Drake in that time. From what Drake could tell, the Monkey King had never been much of a father to his daughter, either.

Drake's had plenty of practice with fake smiles by now, but he felt too tense to make much of a go at it tonight. Hoping he can pull off auestere calm (there's a first time for everything, right?), he carefully makes his way to Grandfather's hut, taking care to tread lightly on the stone path across the sand garden. The Meditation Room is something like the Monkey King's seat of power, a secret weapon of sorts. The room amplifies the old man's presence as if it were an extension of himself, a masterpiece of feng shui. It's been said that this room was where the Monkey King talked his way into a Directorship of the Guardians. Drake didn't have to wonder - he knew it for fact.

"Grandfather," Drake bows at the waist before taking his seat. The time for petty annoyances has passed. Drake's strict observance of etiquette and custom would be of far greater tactical advantage here. Today, he was the away team.

First comes the offer - an alcoholic beverage. Destruction disguised as hospitality. Well-hidden, too. Luzhou Laojiao was good stuff. Drake smiles tersely. "Generous of you, but it is a school night. Perhaps some green tea instead?" It was bad form to refuse an offer of hospitality, but it was worse to make an offer whose refusal could be so easily foreseen by the host. Usually it would be rude to request a substitution especially if the host might not have it, but here it was an olive branch, an opportunity for the host to save face. And Drake knew full well that Grandfather would have green tea on hand.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Zodiac, Wukong: The Monkey's Den

The old man frowns. It's rare to refuse the Monkey King, rarer still in his home and perhaps rarest in this room. Your Grandfather is not a man to take such easily. "Then we shouldn't keep you, I'll send some along when you leave." Wukong nods however, motioning with a hand and Miss Shu is quick to appear with an ornate pot and a single cup. You'll be drinking alone, it seems. "We wouldn't want your grades to slip after all. Your mother hasn't sent me your report cards for this semester, you'll bring them when you visit next? You visit so rarely, your Grandfather won't be around forever you know."

Guilt, perhaps, is Wukong's greatest super power. You've seen this act before, time and again, when your mother has the patience to deal with the old battleaxe. You've heard the snide and unflattering comments she's asked you not to repeat afterwards to. "I am old, after all, and not so good with technology like your phones" he continues as he moves the ornate black bottle towards you along with his cup. A power play along with a small offering of humility, a classic Grandpa move as well. "So let us bypass your games, boy. What do you want from me?"

Alex, Tessa: Outside

Tessa slides away quickly with a snarl, hand held behind their back. It's not broken but it easily could have been. Your friends take the chance to flee but you know you're not going to get far now. You've roused the beast and with the same tell tale whine...your nanites simply stop responding. Which is unfortunate since Tessa is on top of you in moments, fist and feet a flurry of motion as they pummel you. As said, they're not as strong as you...but they're still strong and seem to know how to duck and weave just enough to avoid any serious damage themselves.

Show
    Roll for a powerful blow as you're subjected to the full brunt of Tessa's rage and with no energy absorption to keep you safe.

15. - Top - End - #135

Planetar

Dauntless

Ryan's surprised by Kaylee calling him by his "Tin Man" nickname some AEGIS members semi-affectionately refers to, but shrugs it off. I mean, maybe that's just a coincidence. Maybe a family member works by AEGIS and is involved by my transfer. Or maybe I'm just that lame.

...Hopefully, it isn't be the last one. Still, her offer is something to be considered. On one hand, I'd be going as my civilian identity and not Dauntless, so I need to warn Drake about that, Kaylee may get kind of suspicious and AEGIS got a ticket for me already. On the other hand, this probably allows me to evade the Warlord's attentions so I can take a closer look at them, and I can always pawn off the ticket Kaylee gives to me to Sophia. I mean, she probably will like it, so...

After a fer moments, Ryan speaks up again. "Yeah, sure, maybe. Have to try and set some things in order first, but I'd like to go with you. You sure about taking me as your date, though?"
    Last edited by roko10; 2018-07-09 at 07:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    - What are they up to

Drake's face, the mask of calm he had fought to maintain, falls. Just like that, it was over. Even if he got everything he asked for, there would be no satisfaction in it now. Only Grandfather could hand you a victory and still make it feel like defeat. The thrill was gone. The anticipation, the intensity, everything. Drake hadn't even noticed it was there until it suddenly wasn't.

What had he even been expecting, anyway? Some grand triumph, a sweeping victory to vindicate these past years of slights? Some small sense of control, after all the ways he'd been toyed with, flung to and fro like a stringed puppet in complete indifference to his will? Or, worst of all, validation? Is that truly what he craved from the old man? Perhaps this disappointment was a kindness after all. Remembering everything that had passed between them in only three short years, Drake would have been selling himself short to have granted the Monkey King even a shred of forgiveness out of some generous spirit of victory. It really was better this way.

Drake gathers himself, dons a face of business-like dispassion. "Very well, then. In order to ensure that Agent Dauntless transitions into the team smoothly, I want three things. One, Nuisance's equipment needs to be repaired, possibly upgraded. Her father is an inventor but he lacks resources and time. I want him to have them. Two, Alex's cooperation will need to be assured. I don't know what you could offer to entice her, but she is prone to getting herself into trouble. An outstanding favor from someone powerful, like yourself, should be enough to get her on board. Three, as compensation for my going along with your plan and brokering the deal with the team, I want the rights to my hero persona placed in a trust in my name until I come of age."

"And I want my Hero Card."

After everything he'd gone through, finally saying the words, his demands sounded so...small. Petty. He had so much leverage that Monkey King wouldn't even play the game. He might never be in as good of a bargaining position with the old man as he was right now, and all he could think of was... a stupid Hero Card?
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-07-09 at 07:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions:
    Insecure, Afraid, Hopeless

The rest of the day wasn't much more than a blur for Sarah. After lunch she had the usual foreign language, math, history, and the dreaded literature classes, but she had spaced out far too much to say what was covered in any of them. Why hadn't she considered the Gala would have a dress code?

What am I going to do? Everyone's gonna figure out who I am! I'm not even gonna be able to go to school anymore...

Her options were almost nonexistent. She'd never gotten anything like a ball gown or a fancy dress before (not even for Homecoming!), and a basic internet search informed Sarah that she was much too poor to be invited to this sort of thing. Even her dad would have balked at the kind of price tag the "generic" dresses seemed to come with (though they did look nice). At this point, Sarah normally would've asked Carp for help; only her friend didn't even know she was Nuisance and that she somehow had a ticket to the Gala. Trying to lie and say it was for a different party was out of the question as well, since Carp outsmarted her by a good mile and would figure it out very quickly.

Was she supposed to text the team? If Sarah did that, then the inevitable question from Drake would be "Why didn't you ask me?" Well...maybe he wouldn't find out if she just asked the girls. Alex and Hive were going too, weren't they? Drake said he'd get them tickets. Was Sarah going to spoil the surprise if she mentioned anything early? Maybe keep it vague.
    I need some tips on...
    Sarah sighed. This was the question she never thought she'd be asking her teammates. It was so very...lame.
    Fancy stuff. The Gala's coming up, and Drake said I'd need a dress. Any advice?
    Well that was going to be an awkward conversation. Maybe go back and ask her dad? He could see if there was something in the shop she could use. Or he'd offer one of her mother's dresses again. Sarah really didn't think she could pull that off, not without some severe modifications.

In the end, the school bell rang and Sarah hadn't come up with any new ideas. She had a little money with her, mostly what she'd saved from working at the shop this month, but that wasn't going to be enough to cover any sort of new clothing.

Well, if I can't afford to look nice, maybe I can afford to be unrecognizable.

Sarah didn't know anything about Masquerade masks, but she knew where to find someone who would. Downtown San Fransapporo. If all else failed, they had everything downtown. Sarah bookmarked the location of a small curiosity shoppe near the mall and took the closest bus headed that way. She headed quickly to the back and grabbed a window seat near an old couple and made herself comfortable.

First thing was first, Sarah pulled her phone out and sent a quick text to her dad. No sense in having him cook dinner tonight if she wasn't going to be home until later. With that finished, Sarah rested her head against the bus window as she glanced outside. She watched the pedestrians and the growing congestion of traffic as her mind tried grinding its way through her problems. If nothing else, at least the weather was kinda nice.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-07-09 at 06:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Potential: 4/5

Coming back is like the moment when you, half-drowning, break the surface of the water, and there's never enough air. Sam almost falls over with the mingled surprise, fear and relief, leaning against the concrete tunnel, bent over and breathing heavily. A few minutes pass before she even looks up, eyes too fixed on the floor to notice anything else. Eventually, stiffly, with tired, fearful eyes, she straightens up, looking around.

It takes both a long time, and no time at all, to find the ship. A long time, because she walks for hours, and no time at all, because she knows it is coming before she takes the first step. Leaning around the corner, Sam peers up at it, half hidden behind the concrete. A long moment passes as she looks, half expecting a sudden overwhelming voice to take hold of her again. But nothing happens, and, in the end, the steps out, footsteps sounding like hammer-blows on the floor.

With a sigh, and a worrying sense of deja-vu, Sam stalks across the intervening space, advancing on the ship. A cloud of nanites boil out of her shoulders, forming into a billow of blue. They swirl around the exterior of the ship, settling on exposed surfaces.

"What do you want from me?" Hive asks, standing in the centre of the floor and glaring up at the ship. The onboard AI, she figures, is intelligent enough to screw her over, so it must be intelligent enough to communicate.

"Well? What do you WANT?"

Some part of her knows that shouting at the ship is utterly pointless, but Sam carries on anyway, listening to the echoes reverberate around the empty space, waiting for some kind of answer.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Ryan, Kaylee: Rooftops

Kaylee offers a smile before nodding. "Keep being this easy and we'll get along great Tin Man. I'll send someone with my information by by the end of the day. Don't be a stranger and uhh...don't worry about what happened earlier? Boy troubles, you know?" With that, Kaylee's gone in a haze of cigarette smoke. She's good on her promise, a shy girl finding you as school comes to a close to pass along Kaylee's various twitter handles, instagrams, cell numbers and whatever other social media platforms she's on. Scrolling through, if you're nosy, reveals a rather mundane girl surprisingly. A love of coffee, indie bands and cats is plainly and painfully obvious.

By the end of the day however, since stalking over the internet doesn't take that long, an increasingly loud murmer about a fight breaking out begins and as you step outside the rumors are all but sealed. There, before all to see, two other students duking it out as a few others flee the scene. You could step in though there's bound to be a lecture from Oni if things get too out of hand.

Drake, Wukong: Monkey's Den

Your grandfather watches you with cold dispassion as you level your demands. He doesn't even have the good graces to act surprised, nor does he give you the compliment of hiding his increasing disappointment as you lay everything out. It takes a few sips from his cup to get anything more than a heavy sigh from the old hero, mouth cut in a stern line. "I will, pending contact information, speak with your Nuisance and their father." A point. "Your friend, Alex, is not recognized as a hero within this city and I will not provide assurances to a liability. Her compliance is not required, if Dauntless cannot measure up to your team" the your is stressed, hard, "then Alex and anyone else may go. Or Dauntless. AEGIS is not without a pool of young heroes looking to make a name for themselves. Your second request will not be met." You were probably expecting that but you came to fight, didn't you?

The third request...you've seen your Grandfather angry. It's a seething sort, quiet and terrifying in all the ways a viper is. The fury in his eyes, the insult, is plainly written on his features as he takes another drink. "You may have your card, son." is all he says before pouring himself another glass. "For these things, simple though they are, I would like to ask you to procure something for me. You will be going to the Gala as Agent Oni informs me. Yes? There will be an artifact I have been looking for, for many years. You'll retrieve it for me. It should be part of the auction, place any amount you deem fit. I will pay for it so long as you place our claim upon it. Do you understand boy?"

Nuisance: Tiger's Pavillion

Your phone buzzes quickly after you text your father, a stern though pleasent enough reply from your old man lecturing you on yet another missed supper is seasoned with some promise as it seems he's already fixed your suit. Dinner won't be a problem where you're headed though.

Tiger's Pavilion is second to none when it comes to shopping in San Fransapporo. Sure the River District has a better scene what with its quaint boats and river markets, food is fresh and the whole place is warm and inviting in all the ways Tiger's Pavilion is ostentatious and brash as it seeks to follow the current hip trend. Neon lights, blaring music from open shops and the smells of fried food and quick meals replace the hearty scents of the river boat's home style meals and folky music. The place is a mill of activity and off in the distance one can barely make out the Hikari Shrine, the oldest Shinto Shrine in the city.

A person could get lost in the chaos but you have something in mind and a place marked down. Curio they call themselves, a small little place wedged between two high rises stands out from the rest. An old building from before San Fransapporo was the looming monster it is today. Inside is tight, cluttered and filled with smoke from the owner. Retired hero, as so many people are in this town, Sangha or better known today as Daniel Rodgers.

You're the only customer though that's not particularly strange. Curio is well known to only have people who are looking for something in particular inside. This of course means you're noticed instantly though Mr. Rodgers says nothing, merely watching you like some hunting cat.

Hive: The Mountains

Silence answers.

The ship pulses still, breathing like some slumbering beast though as your nanite cloud settles upon the smooth black hull their blue lights turn to pulse red in time with the ship. Screaming may not be as pointless as you thought as a few minutes pass, the ship gives a powerful thuuuum that shakes the icy caverns as if in reply. The ship's lights give a single glaring pulse before falling dead as a port opens at its front, a small camera sweeping the room and bathing it in a red field. When the field falls upon you, another powerful thuuuum erupts from the ship.

"Harvester and local fauna compile, warning. Unauthorized facsimile detected. Adjunct deployed until retrieval of Harvester technology." comes a voice, the red field focusing on a towering humanoid that is clearly not a harvester. The image pops and fuzzes out now and then as the ship remains damaged. At first the image speaks in what can only be the alien's tongue though as the shape takes on a more human form and appearance its language changes to English. "I am Adjunct 999: Galaxy Express. Please await calibration."

The camera whiirs, the holographic human slowly taking on your pre-Hive appearance as it scans you further. "Your mission is to assist repairs of this Harvester Implant vehicle and fulfill your mission or return to Ancestor Control." The voice of the hologram echoes in your mind. If the machine within you hadn't brought you here. If two days hadn't gone by without you in control you know for certain you couldn't rebel but the words simply tug at you.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-07-10 at 05:13 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    - What are they up to

Drake didn't even bother to hide his naked disgust at Grandfather's pitiful "counter-offer". He had come here in good faith, striving to play this game the best he could. The old man had been on his case for years, trying to shape him into a successor. He'd have thought his efforts today would have earned him something more than contempt. Maybe the old man really was born from a rock.

"You might own me for now," Drake growls out between grinding teeth. "But the others aren't your toys. You really think I'm just going to let you control them too?"

But that's why he'd come here, wasn't it? To sell the team out, "for their own beneft"? Who did that sound like?

Sometimes there's more to see in the mirror than your just reflection. They can show you what really is, things that try to hide. Mentor Voice again. But...why Looking Glass? What's really going on? What doesn't he want you to see? Hold up a mirror...and look.

What was on the line here? Probably a few million dollars in contracts, at least. But the old man didn't seem to care too much about that. He wasn't fighting hard to keep them. He's willing to see to Nuisance's problems, but not Alex's. Nuisance's would cost. So it's not about money. Besides, he'd brushed it all aside. He wasn't even making concessions for playing nice with AEGIS, he was doing it for the stupid auction. As if Dauntless was a done deal. As if he didn't need Drake at all.

The whole thing is a blatant power play. From the very beginning, he's been setting up a power base, getting his fingers into everything. Alex won't cost him much money, she'll cost him control. He doesn't like owing people. And he doesn't like unknowns. Since he seemed to care so little about the deal with Dauntless, he could probably find some other way to help AEGIS muscle their way in to San Fransapporo. But, even if he disapproves of it, the team is a known. And by getting Dauntless on the team, he controls AEGIS, and AEGIS controls the team. So he controls the team. Because what else could possibly happen?

Screw this.

"Y'know? You're not the only one done with the games. I'm not your grandson, or your son. I'm your pawn! From the minute you showed up in my life, you've been trying to control me and my mom, trying to turn me into you. No wonder she left China!" Drake shakes his head in disgust. With himself. "The sad thing is, it was starting to work, wasn't it? For once, I was actually trying to play your game. But that was the problem. I was only playing because I thought I could win. And nobody beats the Monkey King."

Drake, fuming, catches the bottle of Luzhou Laojiao out of the corner of his eye. The oblong black glass, brilliant gold script lettering down the side. The stuff was more liqueur than wine, and over 50% alcohol. Supposedly some bottles took a hundred years to make. Drake swipes the bottle off the table and pops out the top. The sharp aroma of fermented peaches fills the air, overwhelming the light perfume of the garden. "Here's to immortality, old man, since that's the only thing keeping you from dying cold and alone!" With the self-possessed gravitas only a teenager can muster, he tosses his head back with a flourish and takes a long pull from the bottle, nearly choking as it goes down like liquid fire. But since when are dragons afraid of a little fire?

Slamming the bottle back down in the middle of the table, he glares at the old man. "New offer. Dauntless earns his own place on the team. AEGIS can shove it. And so can you."

Show
    I'm rolling Provoke. (2d6+1)[10]
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-07-10 at 08:13 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Guilty

Pain shot trough Alex's body as her nanites were shut down by Tessa and she reeled back. Tessa was immediately on top of her, taking advantage of the situation, showering her with a stream of precise blows. Now that her nanites were out, their blows actually hurt as well. Alex ducked and weaved and blocked as well as she could, but the lingering pain of losing her nanites made it difficult and now she had her back against the base of the statue of some hero.

A sense of fear gripped Alex as she imagined what would happen if Tessa decided to go after Sam. They had just so easily stripped away her nanites, what would they do to Sam. That thought was enough to rally herself and as she blocked another blow she saw an opening in between Tessa's attacks. She dodged out of the way of the next blow, causing Tessa to stumble past her and now they were the ones with the backs against the wall. Alex used her momentum, turned around and let her fist fly towards Tessa. If she hit, Tessa wouldn't be a problem anymore, not for a while at the very least while they were lying in a hospital with doctors trying to puzzle their skull back together.

But Alex didn't hit, her blow narrowly going past Tessa's head and instead crushing a huge chunk out of the base of the statue. For a moment Alex and Tessa's eyes met. She had missed on purpose, they both knew that. She was also now off balance and had left herself wide open to a counter attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Result from my Powerful Blow was a 10, taking two options from the 7-9 list:
    - Marking two Conditions: Afraid, because Alex is afraid for her friends and Guilty because her friends have a target on their back because her stupid feud with Tessa.
    - Also, obviously leaving herself open.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed

"Using my face - that's - that's - F*** YOU!"

The sensible part of her mind is still reminding her that shouting at a robot is pointless, but once again, Hive is losing her temper. Which, as that nagging voice says, was probably at least part of the point of this exercise. Whatever. Part of her, the part likes making things explode, wants to tear the place down, and she has the flechette cannon primed before she even realises that she's thinking about using it.

But, perhaps the most dangerous part of her, the part that's curious, the part that wants answers, stops her. Maybe she really f***ing doesn't want to talk to this thing in front of her. Maybe she's straddling the line between anger and fear and crying, and maybe she should just walk away right now. Sam pulls herself upright, cradles the cannon barrel in one hand, and pours her rage into her reply.

"I refuse. I. F***ing. Refuse. What're you going to do now, tin-can? You ruined my life, and you expect me to help? I don't care about your ship, or your aliens or your repairs or your - your-"

Finding she has nothing else to refuse to care about, she lapses into angry silence, glaring up at the ship above her.

[SPOILER=OOC]So, Sam's lost her temper, and is

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Hive, Adjunct: The Mountains

"Irrelevant."

The AI regards you with your own eyes, hazy red ghost hovering above the icy rock with only the cold winds and drops of water from melting ice to fill the silence as it regards you. The AI doesn't flinch, can't flinch, as you arm your weapon though an angry thuuuuum from the ship reverberates through the cavern. "There is no expectation. Present compile is already at 86% conversion, Harvester larvae have fully intigrated. Full Conversion into Brood Mother is estimated at one hundred and eight days. Full Harvester conversion force at six hundred days. Full repairs in eight hundred days. Ancestor Colony Turn A 999-07BA Facet three full terrestrial revolutions. Refusal is not an option. Harm from compile estimated as minimal."

You probably know it's true. It took some of the heavy hitters to take down one of these things. This thing. It's still ticking even if damaged.

"Restatement: Present compile will assist in repairs."

The command is harder to resist this time. The longer you stand here, the harder it is for you to keep from its draw. The anger is good, it keeps you level. It keeps you human. You've lost a lot in these last six months, your body being one of them, but the Harvester technology hasn't taken your emotions. Not yet, anyway. But they'll take them if the AI is correct. And soon which is perhaps most worrying. Not much time to dwell on it though as the AI rouses once more.

"Restatement: Unauthorized facsimile detected." bleats the AI.

Zodiac, Wukong: Monkey's Den

Your Grandfather remains silent as you shout, even almost smiles as you snatch the bottle and drink though it doesn't reach his eyes which are still red with fury. Even the Monkey King can't help but feel a little...is it pride? Still, lesser men have seen them and balked but you've raged back at the beast. Your Grandfather finally stands from the table before turning and walking out into the sands of his meditation garden. You feel the air grow stiff, oppressive as the natural qi picks up on the Monkey King's mood.

Then...the King sighs. Heavy, loud, long and the air trembles. One of the walls slowly slides apart to reveal a large window overlooking the city. There are few buildings taller than your Grandfather's, especially with its view of the beach and the islands out past the bay. In the distance, lightning spiderwebs through dark clouds. "Your mother called me, the day you were born. We hadn't spoken for years before that." The King finally speaks as he looks out over the city.

"She wouldn't let me see you, of course. She knew as soon as you were brought squalling into this world the history of our people would be on your shoulders. She fought with me to the very end, until your first transformation. We haven't spoken since." Sand crunches under foot as the old man moves closer to the window, still not looking back at you. It may not be true, the fact they haven't spoken though considering the...choice words (you're never to repeat of course) she's used for the old man in the past...it's very possible. "All of your "demands" will be met. If."

You knew that was coming. The Monkey King was not one to simply give ground or even admit defeat.

"You ask her to speak with me." He spares only a single glance back at you now, voice hard like iron.

"I also hope you will...set aside your loathing for me...and represent the family at the auction. The artifact is most important. Now, leave. Miss Shu will provide you transport home."

Dauntless, Alex, Tessa: Outside

The fight continues Dauntless, the two trading blows until Alex throws a wide punch. Your training says it was on purpose, the two others know it for sure as well. The other combatant doesn't have the honor to back off it seems however and Alex has court side seats to the fallout.

Tessa's hand may be damaged but that doesn't stop them from grabbing you, Alex, and slamming you into the wall until there's a very you sized and shaped dent in the concrete. Each word is punctuated with a snarl, Tessa's eyes wild with fury. "You're in for a world of hurt Alex." The words are torn from their lips, each punctuated by another dizzying slam into the wall until you've broken through to the other side. Lucky school is out as you're sent sailing into an empty classroom, Tessa looming in the cartoonish hole you've made. With a snap of their finger, a long lance appears in their hand. A new addition, it would seem, as they take their first step through the hole.

Now, Dauntless, might be the time to intervene as Tessa draws a weapon. This doesn't look like a school yard altercation any more.

24. - Top - End - #144

Planetar

Dauntless

Ryan observed the fight between Alex and Tessa with growing concern, but didn’t step in just yet -without his suit, he’s sure that he’d be more of an hindrance rather than help. That is, until Alex gets smashed into an empty clasroom, and Tessa pulls out a lance out of seemingly nowhere.

Wait, is she-?!

At which point Ryan leaped towards the gap and slammed his cybernetic left arm into the back of Tessa’s head as hard as he can. With a CLANG!, the blow managed to knock them down on the ground and leave them stunned, if only for a bit.

”Trying to use a weapon on another student... what the hell do you think you’re doing?!” Ryan snarled at Tessa, as he looms over them.

Show

Spending a hold to close the gap and another hold to stun Tessa.
    Last edited by roko10; 2018-07-11 at 11:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions: Insecure, Afraid, Hopeless

Sarah stepped off the bus and instantly knew she'd made the right choice. The blasting music, the tantalizing smell of food, the endless crowds; this was where it was at. A grin once again spread wide across her face as she meandered around the stalls and took in the sights. If she could, Sarah would travel to this kind of place every day. There was so much more that went on downtown than the quiet street where she lived. It felt like she'd been missing out on so much, and it wasn't even night yet. This was gonna be an experience! Before she knew it, Sarah was down five dollars and had no recollection of how it happened. Maybe the fried burrito she now held was at fault.

Yep, Sarah thought as she chomped down on the delicious wrapped entree, Definitely your fault you tasty, unnecessarily fried little villain.

She continued with her meal as she perused the streets and watched the other shoppers walk by. Hanging out in a crowd and just taking every sight in was a favorite pastime of hers, and it was a good afternoon for that as Sarah tried to organize her thoughts.

Why do I always gravitate towards Hispanic food? I mean, it's like a cuter sandwich, maybe that's it. Can't fit all that delicious salsa and ground beef on bread, it'd just soak through. And it's so portable! ♫On the go~with my little Burrito!♫ Wait! Stop thinking about food! You're here for a mask!

Sarah held the burrito with her teeth while she pulled out her phone again and took a look at her notes. She quickly wolfed down the rest of her dinner before heading out towards the shop she'd chosen earlier. The directions were simple enough, and she only managed to get turned around once when she stopped for some water for her burning mouth, but eventually Sarah found her way to Curio. It had gotten decent enough reviews and even had an eerie thread devoted to it on the internet, so she knew it had to be her first stop. And if a store like this didn't have something that would work, maybe she'd at least get to meet the owner.

Sure enough, the store more than met her expectations (though she coughed a bit as her lungs adjusted to the smoke). Strewn about the shelves were items she'd never even dreamed of before. Crazy inventions and miscellaneous junk were stacked almost above her head, and finding her way to the front counter was an effort in concentration for Sarah.

Is that a Tiger's Paw? Are those books on magic!? No, focus! Woah, that sword is awesome!

Suddenly, she was overcome by the feeling that someone was watching her. Sarah turned and her jaw dropped as she laid eyes on Sangha.

"Ohmygosh!" Sarah bounced happily over to the front desk. "I can't believe you're here! Ah, you're so cool, I just wanted to see-"

Instantly, she froze. She was acting up again, she knew it. After Looking Glass, this was not the first impression she kept wanting to make with heroes. Sarah inhaled and exhaled deeply as she shook her hands nervously. Now was not the time for silliness, she couldn't keep getting sidetracked like this.

Task first, geek out later. Ahaha! It's Sangha!

"Hello, Mr. Rogers. She tried sounding as calm as she could, though her voice was quieter than she'd intended. Her hands were clasped respectfully in front of her as she petitioned the older gentleman. "I'm looking for a mask, specifically something ah...Masquerade-ish? Something that would make me more or less unrecognizable. I need it for...well, a party, and I've no idea where to get started, but your shop seems to carry a little bit of everything. Can you help me?"
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-07-11 at 10:29 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Zodiac

Show

Show
    - What are they up to

The Monkey's Den

Drake tries to keep his eyes fixed on the bottle, but finds himself watching as the old man retreats onto the sand. He clenches his teeth again as the air gets heavy between them. Even defiant as he was, he had to admit to himself that it was an impressive trick. He'd always blown it off when Grandfather chastised him for neglecting to train his qi, but maybe there was something in it that was worth paying more attention to.

He watches the wall panel slide aside, looks out at the storm. He listens sullenly when the old man finally talks. He'd never heard either the old man or his mother talk about the rift between them. Drake had never had to wonder much about it, the way Grandfather treated them both. He hadn't known that his mother had done so much to keep the old man away, but Drake didn't really blame her. The old man was controlling, even tyranical. He treated his family like peons, and his peons like, well... whatever was worse than a peon.

Maybe it was Drake's imagination, or maybe the room was amplifying things that might have been hidden, but Drake couldn't help but pick up on a note of sadness. No - regret. It didn't show in his voice, but it hung in the air, faintly, like the nearly invisible strand of silk from a worm. And he feels his defiance fade, just a little.

He doesn't respond. When he's dismissed, he takes the bottle and shuffles across the stone path to the door. As Miss Shu reaches to open the door, he pauses and turns to address the old man one last time. "I'll ask her. If she gives you a chance... don't waste it."

Once one the other side, he sighs and flashes Miss Shu a smile that doesn't reach his eyes. "I can show myself out, Miss Shu. Thanks."

Drake doesn't linger in the rooftop garden. Transforming, he takes off, slithering through the sky, headed toward the Bay Bridge with the bottle of Luzhou Laojiao clutched in one claw.

Atop the Bay Bridge

Drake sits at the top of the bridge, leaning against the gate on the top cross-bar. His left knee is propped up while his right leg dangles over the edge, swinging in the air. He gazes out at the storm and the sunset beyond, taking little swigs from his bottle. He holds his phone up, taps out a quick message to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    Team meeting tomorrow after school. Imprtant business
    He sends another one to Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    Time for you to meet the rest of the team. You free after school tomorrow?
    Sighing, he looks back out at the sea. The thunder rolls in across the water, a dull roar that reverbates through the bridge. Drake pops a pair of earbuds in and queues up a song - Red Hot Chili Peppers' Under the Bridge. He bobs his head and sings along with the chorus. Nobody can hear him up here.

"I don't ever wanna feeeeeel like I did that day!
    Take me to the place I looooove, take me all the way!"

As Anthony Kiedis croons about his romance with the city, Drake's eyes turn to the other side of the bridge, taking in San Fransapporo's skyline. Monsoon and the Wukong Industries tower stand in sharp relief, other ferrum-and-flora spires scattered behind them, like metal fingers reaching to grasp the sky. Some city of angels.

The Daily Herald's building stands off in the distance, now nearly repaired from the Bay City Beatdown. Memories flash through Drake's brain. Sarah shooting a flare off in Arachne's face. Getting smacked around by Lisson. A face full of feathers, Rook laughing at him from their scythe. "Always a harem around you eh, Zodiac?"

Drake lets out a burp, and the alcohol burns in his belly. Alex always talk about it like it's a good thing, but Drake isn't sure he likes it. Still, it's too late to stop now. He knocks back another slug and scrolls through the contact list on his phone. As he scrolls past 'Swan', bad ideas start whispering in his ear. Setting the bottle down next to him, he taps out a message to Odette.

Quote Originally Posted by Puff
    So about that Gala...

Under the bridge downtown
    I gave my life awaaaay
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2018-07-11 at 11:16 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

BlueWizardGirl

Alex, the Bull
    Conditions: Angry, Afraid, Guilty

Tessa didn't lie about the world of hurt she'd be in. Alex didn't even find a small opening, some small window of opportunity to rally herself, she was completely at Tessa's mercy. Her world was one of pain, rapid movement and her face crashing into a brick wall, glass shattering, she flew in a chaos of debris into a classroom, smashing into a table and destroying it beneath her.

Alex had a moment to catch her breath. Stupid stupid Alex, move! Get up! Get up! Get ready! Fight back! Or do you wanna die? A shadow filled the hole she had just crashed through and Alex looked up, just barely on her feet again. It was Tessa predatory grin on her face, dangerous spear she pulled from ****whoknowswhere. So this how I die..., Alex thought and wished some blood, her own blood, off of her lip, ready to fight to the last drop of it. Then another figure appeared suddenly behind her, hitting her on the head with a powerful blow and sending her into the dust.

For a short, very stupid moment Alex felt angry at her savior. Tessa was hers to fight not some stupid rando with a metal arm, but then she let herself fall back into the rubble of the desk and gave a bloody grin. "Player 3 entered the game", she said and spit out a bit of blood, sometime during the fight she must've bit her tongue, at least Alex hoped that was where the blood was coming from. She didn't know when the last time had been she had received such a beating, probably never. Not even the fall from the Herald had been this bad. Ok there was always the car crash, but that hardly counted.

She turned her attention to her savior, "Hey thanks man...my name's Alex...I really shouldn't have missed her there huh? Don't suppose you got a smoke or something?"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Terrene, The GM
    Pool:

Alex, Dauntless, Tessa: Inside

Tessa is blown clean off their feet with a solid oof, sent into a few desks with a clatter and clang which gives Alex enough time to stand and get their bearings. The weapon also goes flying though after a moment or two as it bounces off the floor it dissolves into red light. Further pleasentries however ought be shared elsewhere and some other time as Tessa is quick to stand. Battered, furious and wild the teen crouches low. "This didn't involve you." The words are torn between teeth. Feet grip against the ground, the maniac setting to charge before their phone starts to go wild. Some tribal beat blasting into the room as footsteps quickly approach from outside.

Tessa lets out a scream, red energy fluxing about them and for a moment it's almost as if they have horns. "Next time." They snarl louder and like a shot they bust through the wall, another hole for you to explain if you don't high tail it out of the scene of the crime. The footsteps are in a full run by this point and shouting can be heard headed your way. School's out but Alex, you've a favor to repay. What do you both do, where do you go? Do you go together? Separate? Give me the details.

Nuisance, Mr. Rodgers: Curio

The old man continues to watch through tired, gray eyes until you approach. He stands, not much taller than you, and lets you give your piece with a little astonishment and a great deal of annoyance as you Nuisance up all over him. "Course I'm here, it's my shop" he snaps back wryly though a hint of a smirk forms at the corner of his mouth. "Lots of masks in this town. They're all out there." He waves a hand in further annoyance though hobbles out from behind the counter as a cane clacks against the dusty floorboards. "Let me look at you, let me look at you." he mutters, a calloused and firm hand very suddenly on your face.

"I don't give charity." He finally says as he maps out your face, grunting as he gives a few good sounding prods at you with his cane. "You sound poor." With that, Sangha hobbles back behind his counter, glaring at you even. "And you're already wearing a mask, why do you want one of mine?"
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-07-12 at 12:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Zombie

Nuisance
    Conditions: Afraid, Insecure, Hopeless

Sarah froze again as Mr. Rodgers' hand shot to her face. Her eyes bulged and darted around, unsure where to look as he began his rather impertinent examination. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Sarah was vaguely aware that this man's hands had beaten several criminals to a rather nasty pulp as part of his career. Even with that, it still felt like an old dude was suddenly getting a little too familiar. Thankfully, he didn't start looking at her teeth or Sarah would've begun freaking out properly. This was perhaps the most awkward moment of her life aside from the time she had an impromptu elevator ride with Hive. Or maybe that time when she left her computer unlocked and her dad discovered she'd left the internet open on some rather risque fanfiction. Ok, maybe nothing was as embarrassing as that had been.

But as soon as it started, Mr. Rodgers was already done with his inspection and Sarah let go of a breath she didn't know she'd been holding. She rubbed her cheeks unconsciously as she reexamined the short hero. What was his deal? How did he already know she was a superhero? Why did she even bother with a secret identity if everyone she met already knew what she was? And why did he insist on poking her with his cane? That was...almost degrading. Mostly just irritating.

"I'm sorry I 'sound poor'." Sarah remarked, woundedly holding her arms. Mr. Rodgers wasn't as cool as she'd first hoped, but that seemed to be a recurring theme with the heroes she looked up to. Was this all there was to heroism? Did Mr. Rodgers and Looking Glass go to the same hero academy or something? They just never outright said anything without trying to lead you somewhere. It always felt like she was being talked down to. No one had the decency to treat her like someone worthy of respect.

Fine. Just let it be. Stop getting so down over this stupid stuff. Don't let him push you, not again.

"I came here looking for a mask because I'm going to a fancy party that I have no business attending and meeting more people like you who probably don't want to see me. I just wanted to look nice and fit in for one night. I wanted to dance and have fun and feel like I actually belonged in the hero community. I was going to put a mask on for once, ok? I just wanted to fit in. This, right here?"

Sarah pointed to her face.

"This is what I am. A poor sounding girl, doing what she can. If this is a mask, it's a really crappy one. Just about everyone sees right through it the moment I start talking with them anyways, so that's why I came here. I didn't ask for charity, and I'm not going to steal from you. If you want, I could work for the stupid mask. Your shop looks like it needs to be cleaned, and I'm at least pretty good at that. My mom used to be in the military, and she made sure I knew how to keep my room tidy. I've also got years of experience in shelving and merchandising for this kind of store. My dad's shop has never been cluttered. Not once."

The basement was, but that was Mr. Matthews' workshop. He tended to like the mess, and so she left it alone.

Taking on a second part-time job for a single article of clothing seemed extreme. This whole Gala thing was a task and a half just to show up to, but Sarah was determined now. If it required more effort on her part, then she was going to give it all she had. She was going to this party, and she was going to enjoy herself.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2018-07-12 at 12:33 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Hive, the Transformed
    Conditions: Guilty

"Oh." Sam looks at the AI blankly, staring at it without really seeing it. It's words seem, in some indefinable way, too big to swallow, like wrapping your jaws round a mountain. She blinks several times, looks down at her hand as if expecting to see some answers written on her palm, then back up at the ship.

Her anger run away like water, Hive stands in the middle of the chamber, emptiness pooling in her gut. "Oh," she says again, the word bringing no more meaning than last time. With a suddenly menacing sound, as if a swarm of bees had fled the nest, the nanite cloud above her reshapes itself, spreading out across the ceiling of the cavern. Hissing clouds of steam spit into the air as they eat away at the ice, cutting deep gouges into the roof.

For a moment it remains in place, steam filling the entire room, before, with a roar loud enough to deafen anything the AI might say, the roof plunges inwards. Chunks of ice as big as her slam into Sam's armoured form, splintering into frozen shards as they strike steel. Drumming like a waterfall, a thundering roar of fragments passes around her like a river, before slowly coming to a halt. The cavern is utterly destroyed, shards of ice blanketing the ground, except for the lake behind her, which remains as still and black as before, no ripple shaking it's mirror-like surface. Standing alone, surrounded by the destruction of her own making, Hive looks around with the same blank expression as before, then slowly raises her eyes to gaze at the city on the distance.

Legs slightly apart, arms hanging limply by her side, she seems not to notice as her nanite swarm slowly seeps out from under the avalanche, returning to her pods on her shoulders with faint hums and whistles. Not far, yet far away, the city sparkles in the afternoon sunlight, rays of light reflecting off glass windows in a spray of glowing flickers. It is a spectacular sight, Hive thinks vaguely, staring intently at the distant buildings.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-07-13 at 03:22 AM.