New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Complex of Doom (IC) Thread 2

Previous IC thread

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5 edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game?

Standard 3.5, setting is listed above. Assume standard Greyhawk/Faerun pantheon, if it's relevant, with some exceptions (no Underdark means no Lolth, etc.).

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4 or 5, possibly 6 since PBP often loses a player or two early on.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Here on the OOTS boards.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    10,000 XP, bottom of 4th level. I may award XP as we go, or I may take a "everyone levels up now" approach. If people stick around and I can keep this going, we could run all the way to near epic.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    6500gp, no more than 4000gp on a particular item.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    No wizard, psion, cleric, artificer, druid, or archivist. I prefer spontaneous casters (or whole-list casters) over prepared, to reduce bookkeeping and help me keep track of what everyone can generally do. Spirit Shaman, Shugenja, Favored Soul, Healer, Warmage, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Ardent, Wilder, Sorcerer, etc., are fair game.
    No Tome of Magic classes, no Incarnum, no Anima Mage, no factotum.
    No undead PCs.
    No homebrew.
    No polymorph/shapechange/etc.
    No Leadership. Thrallherds have a negative psychic resonance with crystals in the complex that cause their heads to explode with no hope of resurrection.

Minionmancy is extra work. Extra work is not good. If you're going to play a minion-mancer character, keep it to one or two powerful ones instead of a horde of 1HD skeletons.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

PHB races, and most LA+0/LA+1 races. Drow, kobolds, goblinoids, and dragon-related species are not available. The draconic races were all smart enough to leave the continent millenia ago.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

4d6b3, rolled 7 times, pick the best 6. If you don't like the roll results, 32-point buy.
    Max hit points.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    No chaotic stupid. Alignment-related spells may be used at some point, and may affect diplomatic options. Calling yourself Lawful Good and acting Neutral Evil may result in Bad Luck.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    No multi-classing penalties. Some PRCs (such as Primeval from Frostburn) can have more reasonable entry requirements if needed.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    We will use group initiative; party goes, opponents go, repeat. I'll look at init score averages on both sides when determining who goes first, so don't dump initiative totally. Remember, you're flat-footed until you've taken your first turn in combat!

I will make passive rolls, and will probably take 10 for a lot of them unless there's reason to actively search. I plan to roll knowledge, spellcraft, and martial lore skills for identifying enemies to speed things up. It's not worth a 24-hour wait for everyone to roll K:Arcana to find out that a golem is a golem.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Improved Initiative gives a +10 since we're doing group init
    All classes get +4 skill points per level. I'll try to challenge almost every skill at some point.
    Martial Study is a Fighter bonus feat
    Unarmed swordsage replaces monk
    Dual-stat casters (Favored Soul, Paladin, Spirit Shaman) get the appropriate stat-consolidation feat for free.
    Feats at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, etc.
    Everyone has Weapon Finesse for free.
    Combat Expertise & Mobility are no longer prerequisites for anything. Dodge applies a flat +1 AC that's always on unless you're flat-footed. Other feat taxes may be removed on request.

No crafting. If you have specific items you will want, put a wish-list on your sheet where I can see it. Loot will be semi-random and will be mostly geared towards adventurers. Leftovers from the bodies of other fools who tried this.

I won't be tracking food and water very tightly, but if the entire group walks into the dungeon with no food and no water, I'll start paying attention to it.

Rolling a 30 on your Diplomacy check isn't going to make a bunch of paranoid hobgoblins decide that you should have a guided tour of their camp. I haven't decided exactly how to run the Diplomacy skill yet.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    A three paragraph length background, plus three types of people (species, cultures, beliefs, or occupations) your character likes, and three he or she strongly dislikes.

Example: Likes orcs, farmers, and nature-oriented faiths; dislikes catfolk, merchants, and excessively stringent legal systems.

Please put this on your character sheet.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Largely hack & slash, exploration with some environmental hazards and probably traps, and some diplomacy/rp.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    See allowed class/race list above
    3.5 content is generally allowed, plus non-updated 3.0 (BOED/BOVD).
    No templates or weird silliness.
    No Dragon magazine.
    Hexblade fix is allowed.

Setting Information
    Spoiler: Overview
    Show

Underneath the continent of Hybora lies a great complex full of arcane and eldritch machinery. A number of great adamantine and mithril spikes, covered in runes, project upwards from it, through the skin of the world, and high into the sky, almost as high as the tallest mountains.

The origin of the great device is lost, along with much of the older histories. What is known is that it is constantly drawing power from the earth itself, and that when it reaches full charge, the spikes light with a terrible glow; indescribable colors coruscate up and down them for 5 minutes, and then death comes; random destruction covers anywhere from a tenth to a quarter of the continent, and the ocean around it besides. Sometimes death comes in fire from the sky; sometimes in the form of reversed gravity. Plagues, darkness, armies of strange twisted creatures, instant conversion to undeath, and other forms of doom have been observed. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the method, only that it always comes, and never in the same way twice in a row.

Circles of runes randomly appear in the air around the continent, forming doorways to the Complex; always one at a time, never more than two, and not in the same place for more than a week. It is those circles that have preserved life. Through them, daring adventurers have entered and explored. Tales come back of strange environments, dusty rooms, and lines of strange pulsing crystals that can be smashed to release some of the power stored in the machine. If enough people succeed, the machine can be kept at low charge. Over the last few centuries, it has only reached full charge twice.

Hyboria's soil, despite all this, is fertile, and rich in metals and minerals; it's a good place to live, as long as enough adventurers do their part to preserve the peace. As a result of the constant low-level drain on risk-takers and ambitious fighters, it's also a peaceful place. The hotheads already have something better to do than attack the species next door.

It is said that more species once lived on Hyboria; that some have chosen to migrate entirely within the complex, reasoning that destruction occurs only outside, and never inside.

Spoiler: The Previous Activation
    Show

The last activation was 161 years ago. It covered 13% of the continent with great clouds that descended in the middle of the night. The clouds possessed the following effects:
    -Consistent dispelling field as CL10 against all magic within the clouds
    -Cloudkill (Kills 3 HD or less; 4-6 HD save or die, 6+ HD take Con damage)
    -Blight (kills plants/plant creatures)
    -Fog cloud (obscured vision)
    -Still air (no wind)

The clouds remained for 8 hours and then combusted, dealing 4 fire damage to everything within and starting numerous fires (most of which were put out shortly due to lack of fuel).

Spoiler: Why Does Anyone Live Here?
    Show

Luckily there are many brave, heroic, profit-seeking, and/or "this or jail" adventurers willing to jump in any portals that pop up nearby in hopes of smashing crystals, delaying destruction, and acquiring magical items, power, respect, etc. Enough people have been doing it that the chance of a regular activation is quite rare.

The way things are going now, there's only a 1 in 2 or 3 chance of it going off during a human lifespan, and a 10-20% chance of dying if that happens... total risk is thus 3% to 10% of sudden(?) death, in exchange for the most fertile soil, productive mines, and lowest risk of death-by-warfare on the planet. It's a pretty good deal for races with shorter lifespans.

Hybora is the largest continent on the planet, representing over 60% of the temperate/tropical landmass available for life. Dwarves and some other races live underground, but there is no Underdark or equivalent - aside from the Complex, of course.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Complex of Doom (IC) Thread 2

Generally known information about the Complex
    Although old records have mostly been lost to random destruction, plus the usual ravages of time, enough groups make it in and out that many basic functions are known.

Portals & Teleportation
    Long-range teleportation spells do not function reliably inside or to/from the Complex. The probability of splinching is high in any case, but seems especially high deeper in the complex, and in the less-natural caverns.

Entry portals to the complex appear randomly, and do not stay active for long periods of time. Exit portals link to the same rune circles as entry portals, but seem to be 5-15% as frequent.

An active entry portal is blue, an active exit portal is red. Inactive portals do not glow, although the runes are still visible.

Yellow stepping pads are spread infrequently throughout the complex in two-way pairs. They are 10x10 and can accommodate 1 teleport every 30 seconds. For them to activate, something must be resting on the pad, and nothing must be crossing the boundary of the teleport pad at either end (making it possible to hold or block a pad relatively easily).

Equipment Upgrades
    A few groups have reported finding what are dubbed "Runeforges." Resembling an altar or large box with a tray on top, they are surrounded by faintly-glowing runes. Magical items and/or gold can be transmuted to create newer or more powerful magical items. There is some energy loss in the process - magical items render out at 50% of their Standard Arcane Construction Valuation. Almost any type of magical item can be created, given sufficient inputs. It is believed that there is a psionic component to the runeforges, as even barbarians have been able to create sophisticated items with little difficulty. However, special materials such as adamantine or mithril, must be provided by the user.

There is some speculation that the 'energy loss' in the Runeforge process may be deliberate.

Runeforges are a powerful tool for anyone who can gain access to or control one.

Ecology
    Sages have attempted to map the functions of life on the surface, and talk about things like "deenay" and "heritable traits." All adventurers, however, know that magic does many things, and that what neatly fills a scroll in a study often differs from the physical reality.

Light
    Some areas are lit by vaguely luminescent fungus. Some areas are lit by magical torches or light-balls. A few areas have walls that simply glow, or reflect the tiniest amount of light like a mirror. Some areas are unlit.

Water
    Throughout the complex, water flows in and out from underground rivers and streams. Slow drips of water can also be found from aquifers and other sources, as would be found in a natural terrestrial caverns. No poisonous waters have yet been found. It is not known whether some natural mechanism keeps the water safe to drink, or whether a magical effect is in place.
    Many of the water sources are small, and obviously unsafe for any but the tiniest of creatures to swim through.

Food
    Several varieties of edible mushroom growing from organic matter as well as from certain veins of mineral and pulverized rocks. At least two mildly toxic varieties have been identified. The mushroom species are well-known enough that a Survival or K: Dungeoneering check against DC 15 is sufficient to gather food safely (Take 10 is available unless rushed).

Some groups have reported seeing groups with chickens as a source of eggs.

There are several small mammal and lizard species, filling the basic ecological functions of rabbits and squirrels.

Some areas of standing or barely-flowing water have species of fish and eels in them. Not all are benign.

There are also a number of large caverns with large artificial lights at the top. These lights seem to function with a modulated, permanent Daylight effect, and are sufficient to grow crops or even trees.

Passive Checks

To speed things up, I will make normal passive rolls, and will let players know the results if there's anything to know. I'll Take 10 on quite a few of these to speed things up.
    • Listen/Spot/Sense Motive
    • Passive Search (taking 10)
    • Spellcraft & Martial Lore to identify enemy spells and maneuvers.
    • Saves
    • SR & miss chances that players aren't aware of (this is better than the delay caused by saying "please also roll a X check.")
    • Knowledge skills: Unless players prefer otherwise, I'll publicly post results of knowledge checks, on the assumption that if Bob the Mage spots a Rust Monster, he's going to say "That's a Rust Monster!" instead of keeping quiet and letting the Fighter think it's a Giant Beetle.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The group rests overnight. You feel refreshed in the morning, although there are still a few sore muscles from the long battle with the velociraptors.

The Runeforge is still nearby, and Gyrris had spotted a spear sticking out of the marshy area to the west. The stream running through the raptor nest cuts through the high berms of rock and bone, feeding that marsh.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gyrris

Gyrris wasn't sure how to go about finding his friends, if they were even still alive. He decided to stick with this group for now for safety and information. "What was your plan after defeating the raptors?"

Gyrris gathers his gear. Surely they had a plan, only crazy men would attack such a large raptor nest for no reason.

Spoiler: OOC link, nothing to see here
    Show
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2018-05-02 at 12:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Shim, listening to Gyrris as he watches out over their surroundings, says "Don't know, ran into this group about the same time as you. My friends are all gone or... gone. Nout sure if I want to continue down this path or make for the surface. I guess it depends on what all you want to do. Can't imagine I'd make it very far by myself and I'd think that we all have a better chance of surviving together."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kricen

"I have no interest in returning to the surface anytime soon. There is too much to discover and learn here in the Complex. I've only joined this group a few days ago. Before that they found this journal. The Runeforge had us coming here." In no rush, he shows the newcomers the journal and gives them time to absorb its wisdom.

"We've had incredible battles the past few days. The battle here worthy of a bard's tale. The war against the raptors won. A day or two of respite here would be well earned. I'd like the time to study the Runeforge, this area, and to try to retrace your steps through the wall to the machinations that run this place. Waiting for those buried raptors to awaken would be beneficial to us too."

"For now, let's see about that spear sticking out of the marsh? I have rope. Someone more skilled try lassoing the spear and pull it and whatever is attacked out? The zombie can help pull."
    Kricen pulls a rope with grappling hook out of his handy haversack and heads to the edge of the swamp, demon turned-zombie following along. Kricen hands the grappling hook end of the rope to the zombie to hold while he starts to make a loop on the other end, until someone else steps in to help.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Journal
    Map
    J-H, maybe you could update the journal post with the new map?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Shim ponders for a few moments on Kricen's words. "Like I said" as he scratches at his stubble before running his hand through his hair "we stand a better chance together. But, truth be told, I'd hate to leave empty handed. Not just coins but a great ballad to tell that will be sung for the ages. Alright, what's next? I have very little memory of this place?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Kricen approaches the marshy area alone except for his zombie. It looks like there are actually a number of weapons lying on and around the algae, lily pads, and stunted trees in the brackish water. He'll have to wade into the water to get them, though.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kricen calls out to the rest of the party. "Hey. Looks like an armory from their victims. Come give me a hand. No idea what lives in the water."

He orders Babs to grab the nearer weapons and bring them out, making a pile at Kricen's feet while Kricen keeps a lookout for water movement not caused by Babs.

Show
    Keener eyes would help.
    (1d20-5)[-3]
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Shim looks skeptical but nods. "You know, these boots are probably ruined, anyway." he says as he lifts one foot before putting it down and then lifting the other before going with Kricen to look around.

Spoiler
    Show

I guess slightly keener is better than less...
    Spot
    (1d20)[5]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The zombie babau approaches the first weapon and tugs on it. As it does, a large area of the swamp explodes with movement. Weapons rise out of the water, held by large tentacles! An axe slices across the top of the water towards the babau, but misses.

Surprise Round
    Spoiler
    Show

Greataxe attack (1d20+8)[9] for (1d12+3)[12] damage, slashing, magic

Based on the number of weapons held and his knowledge of aberrations, Kricen thinks he may be looking at a “Darktentacles,” an uncreatively named creature known to eat carrion and unwary creatures. The cunning thing has some magical abilities, and can attack multiple targets at a time with its many limbs.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Nobody made their spot checks...

=>Party wins initiative, Party goes next!
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-05-16 at 07:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

"Lookout!" Kricen dashes back away from the water while the zombie follows suit.

"That's a... Darktentacles. It can hit with all those weapons it has, but more importantly has magic abilities too. Keep back. Kill it quick."

Kricen summons protective magic around him.

Show
    Move 30' to just west of Torlak. Babs moves 30' towards me, attracting an AoO. I don't know how much the water slows it down.

Cast False Life (1d10+6)[9] temp hp for 6 hours.

No Auto/Pum
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the water erupt with slimy, slithering tentacles and slashing weapons, Shim leaps back as Kricen calls out. Quickly pulling out the bow he borrowed, he edges backwards as he fires at the creature. "What kind of magic does this creature posses?"

Spoiler
    Show

Shim the Charming
    AC = 17 ; Current = 17
    HP = 56 ; Current = 56

Move Action
    Pull bow

Standard action
    Fire at Darktentacles
    (1d20+9)[13]

Damage
    (1d8+5)[8]

Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+9)[15]
    (2d8+10)[15]

Effects ~
    Borrowed equipment:+2 bow, 56 Arrows, 5 Manifester Bane, 3 acid.

14. - Top - End - #14

"The exact magics I don't know, but they aid in the beast trapping its prey so that it can use all those weapons to carve up dinner for itself. Like the raptors, better to kill it from a distance."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak shrugs. "....Why fight it?" He asks. "Just pull back; If it follows you out of the water, I can help... but as it is, I can't get close enough to freeze it, and since it is in water, I doubt fire will do much."

16. - Top - End - #16

Gyrris

"Easy enough to handle it from back here." The dwarf steps back onto higher ground and quickly fires three arrows.

Show
    5' step back. Rapid Shot.

(Rolls pasted from OOC)
    Shot1: (1d20+9)[24] crit: (1d20+9)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[9] + (1d6)[6] Acid
    crit: (2d8+4)[15] + (1d6)[5] Acid

Shot1: (1d20+4)[13] crit: (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[4] + (1d6)[5] Acid
    crit: (2d8+4)[16] + (1d6)[2] Acid

Shot1: (1d20+9)[10] crit: (1d20+9)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[7] + (1d6)[2] Acid
    crit: (2d8+4)[10] + (1d6)[6] Acid
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1, Part 1

Gyrris fires a flurry of arrows; one connects (hit for 15). Shim fires an arrow, but it misses.

Kricen moves back, casting a spell, while the zombie babau slogs through the water after him. A greataxe swings at the babau as it moves, but only cuts water.
    Spoiler
    Show

AOO
    Attack (1d20+8)[9] miss
    Damage (1d12+4)[7] slashing, magic

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Kricen +9 temp hp
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-06-07 at 09:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1, Part 2

The creature swims through the water, moving closer more rapidly than you’d think – right up to Shim. Kricen feels its foreign will pressing against his mind as he moves back… he tries to fight it, but freezes in place as something squeezes his nerves. The necromancer stops moving.

Spoiler
    Show

Hold monster, Will DC 16.
    Kricen Will (1d20+9)[10] fail
    Hold monster is as Hold Person, but with a wider list of applicable species.
    "The subject becomes paralyzed and freezes in place. It is aware and breathes normally but cannot take any actions, even speech. Each round on its turn, the subject may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. (This is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.) "

Spoiler: Map & Status
    Show

Kricen +9 temp hp, Held until Round 10, Part 2

=> Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-06-07 at 09:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Gyrris

"Umm Shim, get out of there!" The dwarf fires three more arrows at the creature.

Show
    Rapid Shot
    Shot1: (1d20+9)[28] crit: (1d20+9)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[4] + (1d6)[1] Acid
    crit: (2d8+2)[8]+ (2d6)[9] Acid

Shot2: (1d20+4)[24] crit: (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[7] + (1d6)[5] Acid
    crit: (2d8+2)[9]+ (2d6)[7] Acid

Shot3: (1d20+9)[26] crit: (1d20+9)[20]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[6] + (1d6)[6] Acid
    crit: (2d8+2)[12]+ (2d6)[5] Acid

Side Note: Gyrris being replaced, in place, by Kish's dwarf Matai.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2018-07-23 at 09:58 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Kricen moves back from the water's edge as the zombie slowly follows and arrows fly. As he is about to cast a spell he inexplicably freezes in place. After several frustrating seconds he begins moving again.

"Cursed thing, that must have been some kind of hold spell."

Show
    Will save made in OOC. (1d20+9)[16]
    Spellcraft to ID affect: (1d20+15)[16]
    Babs moves to BF152
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Shim curses as he is shocked by the speed of the creature. Dropping the bow, he shuffles back while retrieving his polearm.

Spoiler
    Show

Shim the Charming
    AC = 17 ; Current = 17
    HP = 56 ; Current = 56

Free Action
    Drop Bow

5 foot step to BC-151

Move Action
    Pull Guisarme

Standard action
    Attack Darktentacles using Vanguard Strike
    (1d20+8)[13]

Damage
    (2d4+4)[10]

Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (4d4+8)[21]

Effects ~
    Stance = Iron Guard's Glare
    Vanguard Strike O
    Mountain Hammer O
    Douse the Flames O
    Leading the Attack O
    Tactical Strike O

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak shrugs as he moves forwards, bathing the creature in slowing breath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dc 18 fort save, on success, slowed for one round. on failure, slowed for two.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Matai hurries forward, activating a wand, then grabbing his axe as he grows to ogre-sized.

Show
    Moving 20 feet toward the zombie babau and enlarging myself.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2, Part 1

Matai hurries forward, enlarging himself. Torlak also advances, breathing a cone of magical energy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Slow for 1 round, Fort DC 18 or slowed for 2 rounds
    DT Fort (1d20+6)[20] save

Shim steps back, pulling out his guisarme and slashing with it, but he misses his strike.

Kricen’s minion moves to shield him as he breaks free of the Hold spell.

Show

DT slowed until Round 3, Part 1 begins

Kricen +9 temp hp
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-07-24 at 10:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2, Part 2

The mass of writhing tentacles moves slightly away from Shim, while assailing his mind. He ignores the mental assault.

Spoiler
    Show

5’ squelch away, Hold Monster…
    Hold monster, Will DC 16.
    Shim Will (1d20+8)[26] save

Spoiler: Map & Status
    Show

DT slowed until Round 3, Part 1 begins

Kricen +9 temp hp

=> Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-07-24 at 10:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

"Don't let it get away. We don't want it to surprise us at the wrong time later on." Kricen casts a spell and a black ray projects out at the darktentacle. The zombie holds its position with orders to defend against the swamp creature if it comes back onto land.

Show
    Ray of Exhaustion. Ranged touch attack.
    "The subject is immediately exhausted for the spell’s duration. A successful Fortitude save means the creature is only fatigued."
    Fort DC 18.

Attack: (1d20+3)[20]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Shim hesitates for a moment at Kricen's comment just as the assault begins on his mind.
    Shrugging off the assault, he looks at the creature and says "Well, bad news for you, buddy." as he stands his ground and begins to inspire his allies with his words.

Spoiler
    Show

Shim the Charming
    AC = 17 ; Current = 17
    HP = 56 ; Current = 56

Swift Action
    Cast Inspirational Boost

Concentration check in case he is in range
    (1d20+11)[15]

Standard Action
    Begin Inspire Courage

Effects ~
    Inspire Courage = gain a +2 morale bonus to saving throws against charm and fear effects; and a +2
    morale bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls.
    Stance = Iron Guard's Glare
    Vanguard Strike O
    Mountain Hammer O
    Douse the Flames O
    Leading the Attack O
    Tactical Strike O
    Last edited by razorback; 2018-07-26 at 11:07 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak, more conventionally, spews flames over the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    (4d6)[13] Fire damage! DC 18 reflex for half.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Matai steps forward and raises his axe.

Spoiler
    Show
    5-foot step west and ready an attack. If the Darktentacles comes into Matai's currently-10-foot threatened area, he'll use Mountain Hammer on it. He's in Island of Blades stance.

Mountain Hammer ignores any DR or hardness: (1d20+6)[10] Critical threat check: (1d20+6)[15] Damage: (2d8+3)[14] Bonus maneuver damage: (2d6)[5] Critical damage: (4d8+6)[19]

Final maneuver, Cruader's Strike, is automatically granted at the end of his turn.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Round 3, Part 1

Matai steps west, ready to defend. Torlak breathes a line of flames at the many-tentacled beast, while Kricen fires a black ray at it.
    Spoiler
    Show

13 fire damage, Ref DC 18 half
    DT Reflex (1d20+5)[23]

Ray of Exhaustion, exhausted or Fort DC 18 fatigued.
    DT Fort (1d20+6)[21] save, 7 damage

Shim offers encouraging words, magic granting sureness and clarity to the group’s strikes.

Show

DT 7 damage, fatigued

Kricen +9 temp hp
    All PCs: Inspire Courage, +2 saves vs charm/fear, +2 morale to AB & damage
    Last edited by J-H; 2018-08-02 at 10:33 PM.