New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 2D8HP's extended mea culpa and Random Banter #218

I couldn't see the avatars, and when I right-clicked and selected "open image in new tab" I got an "access denied" error, but when I deleted the "i." at the beginning of the URL, suddenly I could see them.

ION: You know what sounds delicious (to me)? Pancakes, bacon, hash-browns, apple cider, and coffee... with maple syrup in or on ALL of them.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2018-06-28 at 11:31 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

I've had to explain to a friend that you don't eat sweet scones plain. Also that cheese scones exist, but that's a minor footnote.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

An oldie but goodie Spongebob Squarepants scene:

*Telephone rang* Patrick answers the phone

Man: Is this Giant In The Playground Forum?

Patrick: No. This is Patrick.

Patrick hung up the phone.

*Telephone rang.* Patrick answers the phone.

Woman: Is this Giant In The Playground Forum?

"Patrick: No. This is Patrick.

Patrick hung up the phone.

*Telephone rang.* Patrick answers the phone.

Man: Is this Giant In The Playground Forum?

Patrick: No! This is Patrick!

Patrick slams the phone.

Spongebob: Patrick, Giant In The Playground Forum is the name of our forum.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

RE: imgur - Well, that's unfortunate. Guess I'm moving to tumblr for my image hosting, then - they seem to be okay with hotlinking/referencing for the moment, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've had to explain to a friend that you don't eat sweet scones plain. Also that cheese scones exist, but that's a minor footnote.
    This sounds like information I could use - I typically eat sweet scones plain (or with coffee). What should I be putting on them?
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    RE: imgur - Well, that's unfortunate. Guess I'm moving to tumblr for my image hosting, then - they seem to be okay with hotlinking/referencing for the moment, at least.

This sounds like information I could use - I typically eat sweet scones plain (or with coffee). What should I be putting on them?
    Jam, or fresh fruit in my opinion.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm confused. I thought you hated the concept of sweetness, yet you're saying that you eat scones with that property.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've had to explain to a friend that you don't eat sweet scones plain.
    I don't see why you can't? Heck, I'll eat slices of bread plain if the mood takes me...

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Traditionally jam and clotted cream. There's a fierce argument here in the UK over whether you put the jam on first or the cream on first (obviously it's the jam, otherwise you can't spread it without smushing the cream).

I mean, there's actually nothing wrong with eating them plain, I've done it, but the fact that you normally don't surprises some people.

And now for the traditional joke, what's the fastest cake in the world?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too late, it's scone!

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #459
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

And now for the traditional joke, what's the fastest cake in the world?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too late, it's scone!
    A joke which showcases the other great scone controversy, that being whether it rhymes with stone or gone.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I always say I love apple pies, but in reality, pecan pies are better in my opinion.

And scones alone ftw, innit.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Jam and cream. Raspberry is probably the jam I reach for most often but strawberry is ok and cherry makes a nice change. I probably wouldn't put blackburrant or blueberry jam on a scone myself, but if you fancy it then go for it.

Put the jam on first or the cream first; it's entirely up to you. Some people will tell you that there is a regional rivalry over which it is. This is true, but only between Devon and Cornwall and I'm not from either so I'm happy to leave them to it. What's more, they seem to disagree even internally over which is locally correct.

(Personally, I am a cream first, then jam man, on the basis that cream is taking the place of butter).

Have a nice cup (or pot!) of tea on the side.

Now, here is the point at which I get myself ostracised from society (although there is at least one sensible person out there who agrees with me). When it comes to the cream, most people will recommend clotted cream. They are wrong. The real winner is whipped cream: that is, actual whipped cream, not aerosol cream from a can, obviously. Having said that, clotted cream is a perfectly adequate substitute if you can't be bothered with the faff or you're on a picnic or something.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2018-06-30 at 07:08 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #462
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    A joke which showcases the other great scone controversy, that being whether it rhymes with stone or gone.
    Rhymes with stone, as anyone from Birmingham will tell you.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #463
    Barbarian in the Playground

good morning, its coffee tyme.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding scones: please clarify. American and British scones are fairly different, but I don't think I've ever heard either called "sweet scones". We may be thinking of different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #465

Literally the only mental image when I hear the word scone is a croissant and I know that's wrong so I second the "what's actually a sweet scone?" remark.

16. - Top - End - #466

BlackDragon

British scones most often *are* sweet, but you can also get savoury ones--I assume that's why he felt the need to specify he was talking about sweet scones.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    This this the Birmingham that's pronounced correctly, or the one in America?

Although I'm still not convinced that Birmingham exists. People who claim to come from there also tend to believe in the Midlands, which as we all know are a hoax.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Regarding scones: please clarify. American and British scones are fairly different, but I don't think I've ever heard either called "sweet scones". We may be thinking of different things.
    British scones. Didn't even realise American ones existed, it's like their biscuits (which incidentally are not biscuits, they seem to be more of a knockoff scone).

For British scones there's essentially two types. Sweet scones, generally called scones, are the kind you'll normally see, although as pastries go they're fairly savoury. But they'll sometimes be called sweet scones to differentiate them from cheese scones, which are flavoured with cheese instead of sugar, and unlike sweet scones are not eaten with jam and cream (although butter is great on them).

A lot of people don't realise that cheese scones exist.

You'll also find sweet scones with raisins and the like in them. Unlike your standard sweet scone it is not considered impolite to eat them plain, although most Southerners (can't tell about those Northerners, like those people who live in Birmingham) will tend to have jam and cream anyway if they have it.

On whipped cream: blasphemy! Also I don't have a mixer, and I refuse to whip cream by hand just to try it.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2018-06-30 at 08:57 AM.

Show

18. - Top - End - #468
    Firbolg in the Playground

Scone rhymes with gone. Cream is bleh, just eat all scones with butter, jam optional. I went to Birmingham once with a choir, I'm pretty sure it was a real place. I seem to recall being told that Birmingham is the only self-acknowledged part of the Midlands, everyone else in England having their own differing ideas as to the location of the North/South divide. As I was born in London but subsequently moved to Newcastle (the proper one in the north, not the other one), my own views and allegiances in the North/South line debate are necessarily rather confused.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

British scones. Didn't even realise American ones existed, it's like their biscuits (which incidentally are not biscuits, they seem to be more of a knockoff scone).

For British scones there's essentially two types. Sweet scones, generally called scones, are the kind you'll normally see, although as pastries go they're fairly savoury. But they'll sometimes be called sweet scones to differentiate them from cheese scones, which are flavoured with cheese instead of sugar, and unlike sweet scones are not eaten with jam and cream (although butter is great on them).

You'll also find sweet scones with raisins and the like in them. Unlike your standard sweet scone it is not considered impolite to eat them plain, although most Southerners (can't tell about those Northerners, like those people who live in Birmingham) will tend to have jam and cream anyway if they have it.

On whipped cream: blasphemy! Also I don't have a mixer, and I refuse to whip cream by hand just to try it.
    Okay, yeah. Cream and jam, definitely.

Part of my uncertainty was that American scones have more sugar and more fat than British ones (they're denser, traditionally triangular, usually contain quite a bit of fruit or nuts, and are sometimes lightly iced), so I thought that might be what you meant by "sweet scones". In which case you'd be wrong, you don't put anything on those.

Personally, I was taught that American scones rhyme with stone and British ones rhyme with gone, but I'm not sure what portion of Americans would agree with that.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #470

This this the Birmingham that's pronounced correctly, or the one in America?
    Yes.

Although I'm still not convinced that Birmingham exists. People who claim to come from there also tend to believe in the Midlands, which as we all know are a hoax.
    Well, their city did once use our city's skyline to encourage civic pride, so....
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-06-30 at 10:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm confused. I thought you hated the concept of sweetness, yet you're saying that you eat scones with that property.
    You are mistaken - I tend to not prefer overly-sweet things (for example, I usually cut soda with seltzer, when that option is available), but that doesn't mean I won't eat something that's got a little sugar in it.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't see why you can't? Heck, I'll eat slices of bread plain if the mood takes me...
    I'm in the same boat - a good bread (especially pumpernickel or sourdough) stands on its own, and the same goes for (american) biscuits and other pastries.

Traditionally jam and clotted cream. There's a fierce argument here in the UK over whether you put the jam on first or the cream on first (obviously it's the jam, otherwise you can't spread it without smushing the cream).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    (Personally, I am a cream first, then jam man, on the basis that cream is taking the place of butter)
    While I don't typically use regular cream on my bread/pastries (which is liquid at room temperature), I do prefer to put cream cheese on first, followed by jam. (It's damn near impossible to spread the cream cheese once you already have jam on there anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Personally, I was taught that American scones rhyme with stone and British ones rhyme with gone, but I'm not sure what portion of Americans would agree with that.
    I'll have to agree with my fellow Americans here - it rhymes with stone.

You'll also find sweet scones with raisins and the like in them. Unlike your standard sweet scone it is not considered impolite to eat them plain, although most Southerners (can't tell about those Northerners, like those people who live in Birmingham) will tend to have jam and cream anyway if they have it.[/color]
    I think a lot of confusion between British and American pastries comes down to us using different words for the same foods. An American cookie and a British cookie are usually the same, except sometimes they're also British biscuits. American biscuits are British scon(e)s, typically with extra butter (and occasionally cheese), while American scones are sweet, crumbly pastries that rarely need anything extra.

Now that we're talking about the same thing - yes, biscuits/scon(e)s are best with jam or butter. (Or, to start another argument, gravy )
    A few odds and ends.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

While I don't typically use regular cream on my bread/pastries (which is liquid at room temperature), I do prefer to put cream cheese on first, followed by jam. (It's damn near impossible to spread the cream cheese once you already have jam on there anyway).
    "Cream" in the context of scones is clotted cream, not liquid.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #473

yummmm .. .. .. biscuits and sausage gravy.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

In the UK, it's a regional, and possibly also a class, thing. There seems to be relatively little consistency regarding a north/south divide, but I think in general rhyming with "gone" is more common in the south, and with "cone" more common in the north. Both pronunciations are common, and I think in Scotland they might even call them "scoons".
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

25. - Top - End - #475

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    .. .. .. .. .. Both pronunciations are common, and I think in Scotland they might even call them "scoons".
    obviously, the Scotts have it right.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

I went to check the Finnish word for scone and I'm disappointe. Just skonssi.

Profiterole/cream puffs however literally translate to wind hat. That's way more amusing.

ION: I've returned 2/4 essays for a summer course I'm doing, and I began my work on Thursday. One of the remaining ones is half way done and I'm ripping my hair out because how straining it is. Gonna be exciting tomorrow to finish up this essay (on sponsorship & making a sponsorship plan) and figure out the last one as well (which is on crowdfunding and I'm supposed to make a freaking 4 page crowdfunding plan). Yeah. Deadline is tomorrow at 23:59. Why can't I just work on stuff at a more reliable and sensible timetable...
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

I think a lot of confusion between British and American pastries comes down to us using different words for the same foods. An American cookie and a British cookie are usually the same, except sometimes they're also British biscuits. American biscuits are British scon(e)s, typically with extra butter (and occasionally cheese), while American scones are sweet, crumbly pastries that rarely need anything extra.

Now that we're talking about the same thing - yes, biscuits/scon(e)s are best with jam or butter. (Or, to start another argument, gravy )
    It's not our fault if you lot can't remember what things are called

In all seriousness, unless it's a cookie (those things with chocolate chips in) calling a biscuit a cookie will annoy a Brit. How are we supposed to have biscuits with our tea if you lot keep using the wrong word?

Also, gravy with scones? Gravy's for your roasts and Yorkshire puddings!

Show

28. - Top - End - #478

It's not our fault if you lot can't remember what things are called

In all seriousness, unless it's a cookie (those things with chocolate chips in) calling a biscuit a cookie will annoy a Brit. How are we supposed to have biscuits with our tea if you lot keep using the wrong word?

Also, gravy with scones? Gravy's for your roasts and Yorkshire puddings!
    Brown gravy, yes. White gravy? That stuff is great on American biscuits.

Also, I hear tell that if you annoy a Brit, they will, in very British fashion, do absolutely nothing.

Also, I'm now sad to think that may not have actually happened. I choose to believe it did.

29. - Top - End - #479

BlackDragon

You mean, when an American talks about biscuits and gravy, they aren't referring to this?

30. - Top - End - #480

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You mean, when an American talks about biscuits and gravy, they aren't referring to this?
    Ah, the fabled British cooking I've heard so much about!

Look, biscuits and gravy, tasty as it is, still isn't as good as chicken fried steak. You don't even need to add "and gravy" to that one, it shouldn't ever come without gravy.