New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is George Lucas really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the Starwars fandom only seems to have become toxic, reactionary, and bitter in the last few years (and I suspect that this is more due to a current general cultural malaise, rather than being Starwars-specific).

I don't think it was like that at the time the Prequals came out (or other EU stuff that was released while Lucas was still in charge), and the criticisms aimed at the Prequals weren't "toxic" or "reactionary".
    When Disney purchased the franchise they made the deliberate choice to obliterate the canonicity of the entire EU - a franchise that had been developing for 35 years. A huge portion of the hardcore fans were angered by this (full disclosure, myself-included) and whether they ultimately forgave Disney or not, this move drastically reduced the charitable impulse felt among them towards the new material going forward, because everyone felt the ax take something in the EU that they cared about, ranging from huge things like Mara Jade and the entirety of SWTOR (still ongoing!) to little known things like Dawn of the Jedi.

This also meant that the biggest fans of the franchise were forever comparing new material to this alternative universe that had been ruled out. So TFA and TLJ get judged not only on their merits but in comparison to the (selectively edited, nostalgia-goggle induced) complements in the EU. So not only to does bitter old man Luke Skywalker in TLJ get compared to hypotheticals alternatives, he gets compared to the fully realized alternative that is Grand Master Luke Skywalker of the New Jedi Order. If you think that was the better version, and many fans do (again, self included) that amplifies the bitterness exponentially.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the Starwars fandom only seems to have become toxic, reactionary, and bitter in the last few years (and I suspect that this is more due to a current general cultural malaise, rather than being Starwars-specific).

I don't think it was like that at the time the Prequals came out (or other EU stuff that was released while Lucas was still in charge), and the criticisms aimed at the Prequals weren't "toxic" or "reactionary".
    Any starting point for toxicity in Star Wars fandom that is after the RLM takedown of the prequels is incorrect.

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I know there's a third anthology film coming up in two years time but do you have any source confirming it's a Kenobi, film?
    You mean beyond the official statement that it's in pre-visualization?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    When Disney purchased the franchise they made the deliberate choice to obliterate the canonicity of the entire EU - a franchise that had been developing for 35 years.
    Part of the problem is, they basically had no other choice--if they were going to use the Legends events 30 years after Endor, they would have been stuck with the Dark Nest Crisis, which would have been a straight-up terrible choice for the sequel trilogy. The Legacy of the Force novel series (set five years later) is actually conceptually a lot closer to what people were probably hoping the sequels were (i.e. Jedi Master Luke Skywalker has resurrected the Jedi Order, but Leia and Han's son has fallen to the Dark Side and leads what is more-or-less a resurrected Empire), but even that would have to be drastically re-written in order to work on the silver screen due to its ties with the previous 25 years of post-RotJ novels. That they would have to deal with Karen Traviss again (at the very least by giving her a line in the credits and possibly royalties for collaborating on the novel series) was probably another issue since she was a fairly controversial writer due to her developing Mandalorians into her own little pet characters, and made a break with Lucasfilm when she couldn't accept that George wanted to go a different direction with them in The Clone Wars.

No matter what Lucasfilm would have done to adapt those stories for film, they would have still drawn a lot of ire from the fanbase, so instead they chose to just make an explicit clean break from the old canon in order to give the screenwriters more room to work the story.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    "That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Since, oh, when you were born".
    I'm pretty sure the actual line is "Since, oh, *before* you were born". Which makes it even longer!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

It was. There just was less Internet to whine on. It's actually more causally correct to say the bad prequel movies caused internet toxicity through the angry fans than that internet toxicity caused angry fans ti think movies were bad.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, that's correct. What the original Star Wars opening crawl says about it is:

"Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR"

Seems pretty similar to what happened in Rogue One to me?
    Maybe the "steal secret plans", but the "won their first victory" bit becomes pretty farfetched considering that in Rogue 1 all the rebel spies died along a big chunk of the rebel forces, with Leia's vessel itself being a glorified escape ship trying to run away while the rebel fleet is decimated. If that's what the rebels count as victory, I don't want to imagine how their defeats looked like!

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Part of the problem is, they basically had no other choice--if they were going to use the Legends events 30 years after Endor, they would have been stuck with the Dark Nest Crisis, which would have been a straight-up terrible choice for the sequel trilogy. The Legacy of the Force novel series (set five years later) is actually conceptually a lot closer to what people were probably hoping the sequels were (i.e. Jedi Master Luke Skywalker has resurrected the Jedi Order, but Leia and Han's son has fallen to the Dark Side and leads what is more-or-less a resurrected Empire), but even that would have to be drastically re-written in order to work on the silver screen due to its ties with the previous 25 years of post-RotJ novels. That they would have to deal with Karen Traviss again (at the very least by giving her a line in the credits and possibly royalties for collaborating on the novel series) was probably another issue since she was a fairly controversial writer due to her developing Mandalorians into her own little pet characters, and made a break with Lucasfilm when she couldn't accept that George wanted to go a different direction with them in The Clone Wars.

No matter what Lucasfilm would have done to adapt those stories for film, they would have still drawn a lot of ire from the fanbase, so instead they chose to just make an explicit clean break from the old canon in order to give the screenwriters more room to work the story.
    Agreed, there was just too much EU material to be able to handle it in a sane way.

Plus they're bringing back the best pieces like admiral Thrawn.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-05-18 at 04:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I see the film goes over the making of the original trilogy with some scenes from the PT thrown in. It doesn't really tell us what we want to know in 2018, like how the Disney deal went down, or even what it was like to make the Prequel Trilogy.
    The follow up is here. Can't remember exactly what SFDebris covers in it, but I'm pretty sure the last part focuses on post-prequel times. (Rynjin actually post all 3 parts earlier.)
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2018-05-18 at 04:38 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #99

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Maybe the "steal secret plans", but the "won their first victory" bit becomes pretty farfetched considering that in Rogue 1 all the rebel spies died along a big chunk of the rebel forces
    If you consider getting the Death Star plans at all to be a victory then it still works, and let's be honest, they did destroy a major Imperial base--albeit with the assistance of said moon-sized battle station!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you consider getting the Death Star plans at all to be a victory then it still works, and let's be honest, they did destroy a major Imperial base--albeit with the assistance of said moon-sized battle station!
    They also took out 2 ISD, which isnt chump change. The first time the Rebels actually took them out in open combat.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    They also took out 2 ISD, which isnt chump change. The first time the Rebels actually took them out in open combat.
    Unless you ignore the Rebels series.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post

Even in Rebels, the few Star Destroyers that have been destroyed by the Rebellion, have never been destroyed in "straight fights" - not bombing runs, not turbolaser attacks, etc.

Nearly always, it has been from the inside that the ship was destroyed. A lightsaber falling into an engine. A superweapon going off inside it.

Or, in one case, a Death Star Kyber Crystal exploding near it.

Hence the "open combat" proviso.

Purgills (space whales) seem to be more efficient though - doing massive damage to the hulls - though I don't think we've seen an ISD crash or explode due to purgill attack.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-05-18 at 08:36 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Which episode do Rebel ships defeat ISD in a straight fight?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Which episode do Rebel ships defeat ISD in a straight fight?
    What about the finale?

Yes Yes I know squids. But they had fought Star destroyers before and you know that there are other books and things with them being taken out. It's the problem that they're too iconic to not have them shown. And What really constitutes a " straight fight " anyway.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-05-18 at 09:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Even in Rebels, the few Star Destroyers that have been destroyed by the Rebellion, have never been destroyed in "straight fights" - not bombing runs, not turbolaser attacks, etc.
    Well, they did take out an Interdictor by ramming it in season 3...OK, not quite an ISD, but it blew up nice all the same.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

The main thing is that in order for rogue one to count as a first victory you have to ignore a bunch of stuff.

17. - Top - End - #107

Or for it to mean something other than a straight combat victory. Something like a strategic intelligence victory.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

The original text says the plans were a bonus spoil from winning the battle. But rogue 1 shows the rebel forces being completely routed, with only the plans to show for their effort. And Darth Vader is in hot pursuit right in there. Claiming victory feels really weird when the battle did not end and your enemy is right at your heels while you try to run for safety.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the actual line is "Since, oh, *before* you were born". Which makes it even longer!
    Of course, that means the prequels screwed it up first, since Obi-Wan is called that after the twins are born.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Leia put all her skill points into the 'Personal Spaceflight' force talent tree instead of the 'Plot Shield' talent tree. All the other Force-sensitive characters laughed at her.

Love this! Just perfectly caputeres an RPG Players take on that stupid scene ^^

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post

Agreed, there was just too much EU material to be able to handle it in a sane way.

Plus they're bringing back the best pieces like admiral Thrawn.
    Indeed.

However, a lot of the slightly pre to say 10 years past BoY EU Stuff was above average to great.
    It got really bad with Young Jedi Knights and reailly wird with the Vong onwards....
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The full line is "I haven't gone by the name Obi-wan since, oh, before you were born."

Which is correct, more or less. He makes no mention of when the last time he heard it was other than "a long time", which is also correct.

There is no error, you guys just remember wrong.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    However, a lot of the slightly pre to say 10 years past BoY EU Stuff was above average to great.
    It got really bad with Young Jedi Knights and really weird with the Vong onwards....
    Frankly, after a while the only EU stuff I bothered with was Zahn, Stackpole, Allston and depending on mood Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy. It was enough to fill out our games without bogging down everything in canon vs fanon wars.

23. - Top - End - #113

I tend to the view that the "downhill slide" for the post-ROTJ EU was after NJO - began with Denning's Dark Nest Trilogy and continued from there.

While there were plenty of entertaining moments - the era itself wasn't up to the same standard.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The full line is "I haven't gone by the name Obi-wan since, oh, before you were born."

Which is correct, more or less. He makes no mention of when the last time he heard it was other than "a long time", which is also correct.

There is no error, you guys just remember wrong.
    Do you remember the part of RotS where Obi-Wan stopped going by that name before Luke was born? I don't. That's the most minor of errors, to be sure.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Do you remember the part of RotS where Obi-Wan stopped going by that name before Luke was born? I don't. That's the most minor of errors, to be sure.
    Its only an error if you parse his statement overly literally and ignore the context surrounding his interactions with Luke. Luke's birth was the event that precipitated his going to Tattoine and answering to Ben. He could have said "since you were born, almost exactly to the day." but that would be A: unnecessarily precise and B: raise a lot of awkward questions.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a retcon we all know it's a retcon do we really have to jump through hoops to rationalize it. It's just like the whole shoots first thing. We may hate it. But until it's changed Han didn't shoot first. Because these movies have had themselves retconned since ESB and onwards.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Its only an error if you parse his statement overly literally and ignore the context surrounding his interactions with Luke.
    I agree. Which is why I've framed my problem with it* as he is suddenly being pulled back into his old life after leaving it behind almost two decades ago, except for fighting an full on former Sith lord just a few years prior. It shouldn't be nearly the shock that it's played as, given the new events.

*it, of course, being the fight with Maul on Tatooine to begin with.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I agree. Which is why I've framed my problem with it* as he is suddenly being pulled back into his old life after leaving it behind almost two decades ago, except for fighting an full on former Sith lord just a few years prior. It shouldn't be nearly the shock that it's played as, given the new events.

*it, of course, being the fight with Maul on Tatooine to begin with.
    I mean, he knew that day was going to come eventually. That's why he stayed to watch over Luke in the first place, instead of becoming a nomad, or joining the rebellion, or finding some rock to sit on like Yoda did, or any other number of things that didn't involve becoming a desert hermit. Darth Maul was maybe half an hour of excitement at most, followed by a lot of contemplation, reflection and nostalgia. It wasn't a particularly uprooting event compared to the Rebellion coming to him for help and Luke starting to need active mentoring.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I mean, he knew that day was going to come eventually. That's why he stayed to watch over Luke in the first place, instead of becoming a nomad, or joining the rebellion, or finding some rock to sit on like Yoda did, or any other number of things that didn't involve becoming a desert hermit. Darth Maul was maybe half an hour of excitement at most, followed by a lot of contemplation, reflection and nostalgia. It wasn't a particularly uprooting event compared to the Rebellion coming to him for help and Luke starting to need active mentoring.
    Neither of which he knew about when his world was shaken by hearing "Obi Wan." Knowing the day would come and being surprised when the day comes don't really mesh that well, especially if he was watching over Luke.

The series gave Kenobi a world-shaking moment, and then later undercut it severely. That's all I'm saying, and nothing that I've heard against it has been all that good a rebuttal.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-05-18 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Corrected by hamish
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #120

Before the prequels ruined everything, I always figured Obi-wan Kenobi had staked out a chunk of Tatooine as his personal fief long before he met anyone by the name "sky-walker". 20 some years before one side or the other of the Clone Wars had come to him for help. Along the way he dragged local tramp pilot, Anakin Skywalker out of the rut he and his brother/friend Owen had been in and off on an idealistic crusade to restore peace and prosperity to the Galaxy. When it failed, he returned to his home in the desert (no, this makes no sense considering that Darth Vader supposedly knew where he came from, but I was 12).

Since the prequels, I have assumed that Obi-wan stayed on Tatooine because it was out of the way and it was as easy to hide on Tatooine as anywhere else.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.