New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Shadow of the Crimson Sun III

Alton the Axe blinks in surprise as the man turns visible. He really hadn't expected anyone to still be around to monitor the battle. He had asked Astar to check for evil simply because he was thorough.

He stows his vicious battleaxe at his belt and waves his hand at the stranger, adopting an insincerely cheery manner and voice as he smiles and says, "Hey, I'm Alton the Axe and these are my allies. Hope you enjoyed the show."

"Can I ask who you are? What do you want?"

As he talks in a sardonically friendly fashion, Alton looks to see if the masked man's hair is long, like a slave's, or short, like a freeman's.

If his hair is long, it's possible he's another gladiator, though the mask and invisibility make him very suspect.

If he's got short hair, he's a freeman and probable Sharran from outside the arena come to bear witness to the attempt to kill him.

Alton really wants to kill the guy on the suspicion that he's a Sharran, but he refrains. He doesn't want to continue a cycle of vendettas with the Church of Shar, not when he's in such a vulnerable position in the arena.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thanks. XP goes from 40625 to 41775.

2. - Top - End - #122

Drego Sarhainik "I'm Drego Sarhainik. Dark Watcher of Shar. All hail the Darkness of the Unseen Night.

I'm not here for a fight, i just watch. Unseen.

And it's totally my fault, I knew that guy was a paladin and I should have drank one of my potions of misdirection. But I forgot.

Drego Sarhainik does have long hair wrapped in a black thread 'pony tail' down his back.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe says, again sardonically, because Sharrans just tried to kill him, "Yeah, yeah. Hail Shar, Mistress of Night."

More sincerely, he says, "Nice to meet you, Drego."

Then he says, "So, what's it gonna be? You just gonna go and tell them that the thing they sent, the shadow sea serpent I reckon, didn't kill me?"

"Will they try again?"

Alton complains, "This is the second time that someone used a summoning against me. The arena wards must be full of holes. Either that, or someone is earning a fortune opening the wards."

"At least, I hope someone is earning a fortune. It would really toast my britches if someone was getting through cheap."

4. - Top - End - #124

Drego Sarhainik "I really don't know anything. I mean my faith is darkness and secrets. I'm just a Dark Watcher. I get told what to watch.

Really, though....I should get going.

Feel free to go back to sleep."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe looks extremely skeptical at this. He should have known better than to expect useful information from a worshiper of the Goddess of Secrets, but he couldn't stop himself from asking.

"Yeah, sure."

He tells the others, "You can go back to sleep."

Alton himself stays on watch. He observes what Drego does, or does not do.

6. - Top - End - #126

Drego Sarhainik nods and quickly moves around the corner.

Everyone else settles back down for the night.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe is much too keyed up and paranoid to sleep. Plus he feels he owes his allies for the trouble of helping to keep him alive.

He waits on guard until shortly before dawn when he can prepare his spells, hoping there is not another attack.

Show
    Assuming Alton gets Restoration cast on him noon.

Will he be able to prepare spells using spell slots he lost due to negative levels, or would that have to wait for the next day?
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2018-10-31 at 11:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128

The night is quiet enough. Anyone that was sleeping nearby moves away as soon as the attack happened.

Show

Alton just needs the full rest of eight hours of rest (technically not sleep...but it's simply best to combine the two as you do need to sleep anyway...and it's easy to rest when your asleep).

So the fight started at ''2 Am", so staying up till dawn...6AM, he'd need to rest until 2PM

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Before dawn, Alton the Axe kneels and prepares just one spell: Healthful Rest. Once prepared, he rises and casts it on himself and his allies.

As soon as the sun rises, Alton muzzily tells the others, "Guard me, please, while I sleep. I really need to sleep."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Prepare and cast Healthful Rest.

Try to sleep for 8 hours. With HR in play, Alton would regain 16 HP, raising him to 54/54 (74).

Show
    I had Alton prepare Healthful Rest because it would be complicated to have him prepare only some of his spells, not counting the higher level ones denied by negative levels. I'd rather prepare them en masse later.

When negative levels are removed via Restoration, does the missing HP return also, or does that have to be cured separately?

In other words, when Alton's HP maximum goes from 54 back to 74, does his current HP also go back to 74, or do they have have to be cured?

10. - Top - End - #130

Astar Stormsword "Of course"

Show

Removing a negative level has no effect on lost hit points, they must be regained separately.

Note Negative Levels:

negative level

A loss of vital energy resulting from energy drain, spells, magic items, or magical effects. A successful energy drain attack bestows one or more negative levels on the opponent. A creature takes the following penalties for each negative level it has gained.

-1 on all skill checks and ability checks.
    -1 on attack rolls and saving throws.
    -5 hit points.
    -1 effective level (whenever the creature's level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).

If the victim casts spells, she loses access to one spell as if she had cast her highest-level, currently available spell. (If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses.) In addition, when she next prepares spells or regains spell slots, she gets one less spell slot at her highest spell level.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe says, "Thanks."

Just before he drifts off, he mumbles, "Oh, and please wake me if Irella Kymeri comes calling."

Show
    Sleep for 8 hours, unless woken.

Show
    It is possible Irella Kymeri's information about where to get the magic item that Alton asked for and/or the potions and oils he paid for may arrive before Alton wakes up at 2 p.m.

If so, Alton will just have to interrupt his sleep just long enough to receive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frivolous View Post
    "Thanks, Irella. First of all, I need 2 more potions of Invisibility."

"I also need 3 doses of Oil of Darkness. I got the idea from the followers of Shar. They use Darkness they can see through, so they blind their opponents. Seems a great tactic, one I want to use."
    Quote Originally Posted by Frivolous View Post
    Alton tries to keep the frustration off his face and out of his voice. He nods respectfully and says, "I can cast Death Ward, yes. But I expect to be attacked by surprise, so I need something that is either permanent, like Soulfire Armor, or that can be activated swiftly, like a Talisman."

He bows again to show respect and adds, "So I would really appreciate any help you can give me in acquiring such an item. I've followed all the leads in this arena. They turned out to be dead ends."
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    "I take it you would not be above killing someone for your talisman? I could have a name for you by tomorrow after noon."

12. - Top - End - #132

Alton can sleep through the morning and mid afternoon. The arena is often quiet in the morning. And even people like Irella Kymeri don't come around until right before the games start at 6 PM. And even then, remember the first matches are the Green ones with no killing. So a lot of people don't really watch them all that much...but plenty of people do.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe wakes up. He spends about a minute lying on his back, remembering what had happened and what he needs to do, then gets up.

He says to Astar Stormsword, "You're the only one besides me who got drained, right? If anyone else got drained, come with me, I'll get you Restored."

Alton and Astar Stormsword go to the goblin store. They wait in line until at the counter, then Alton says to the goblin clerk on duty, "I want full Restoration for me and him. I'll pay for both spells. How much per Restoration?"

If it turns out anyone else had gotten drained, too, Alton pays for his Restoration as well.

14. - Top - End - #134

Astar Stormsword "I'm the only one that got bit by the serpent. Everyone else was just raked by the shadows."

Tomok Ghastsplitter "I'm a bit weak, but not hurt too much. I drank potions of healing, but it did not cure my weakness."

Astar Stormsword follows Alton to the store.

Goblin Clerk shrugs "sorry, no can do. We only had two restoration spell scrolls and I sold them both yesterday. They are not too popular on the shelf, we were happy to see them go. "

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe says to Tomok, "That might be the poison. That should be fine; the weakness will go away sooner or later. Just let me know if it doesn't, and I'll cure you."

Alton says to the goblin clerk, "What? You mean you don't have anyone who can cast Restoration instead?"

"Is your scroll maker here? Would he or she be willing to activate and cast a scroll on me? How much would it cost for him to do that?"

Show
    I honestly don't remember anymore if Tomok has a magic item that protects against poison. Alton has been donating those to his allies so that they are protected.

Alton's caster level right now is only 5. He needs a 7 to cast Restoration from a scroll without any chance of failure. He'd pay a level 7 caster with Restoration in his spell list rather than risk failure.

Alton has two 100 gp diamonds, bought in advance just for this purpose.

16. - Top - End - #136

Goblin Clerk "This is just a store. Our main shop is out in the city. We have plenty of scroll scribes. We can order you a scroll no problem. It will just take like three days. Did you want to order a scroll of Restoration? That would be 1,000 gold. "

Show

He does, so does Astar. But an easy Knowledge roll of 10 tells you shadows(the humanoid ones) damage strength when they hit.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton belatedly remembers that they had been fighting shadows last night. That must have been what caused the weakness.

He allows his lips to curl in derision at the goblin clerk. 1000 for a scroll of Restoration? He can get the same from Kialla Lanzhir for just 800.

He says to the goblin clerk, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Then Alton remembers that he was supposed to be given information on soulfire armor or some other magical device to protect him regularly from energy drain.

He goes to the arena guards at the entrances to the arena and asks them, "Has Irella Kymeri come to the arena today? Is there any word for me from her?"

Show
    Thanks. I'd forgotten about the shadows.

Alton slept through the time of rendezvous with or receipt of message from Irella Kymeri, which was supposed to be high sun (noon).

Irella Kymeri "Well, just be ready tomorrow at high sun, and you will have your target. "
    Kialla Lanzhir "Silence 200, death ward 700 . restoration 800 . A waterproof scroll case is 5 gold."

Everything looks like it is there.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2018-11-21 at 02:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138

Goblin clerk just shrughs and goes to help the next person in line.

The guards check with each other.

Guard "We have not seen her today. She is a regular, I'm sure she will show up sooner or later.""

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe sighs in relief. He really didn't want to offend his owner's representative by missing their meeting, even if he could claim a reason for doing so: sleeping and resting after a big energy-draining battle.

"Please let me know if and when she or someone from my owner comes. I'm Alton the Axe, and my owner is Lady Vesorianna Lorimor."

Having spoken to the guards and reassuring himself, Alton goes to find the cleric of Mystra Izora Deendra.

If she's having a consultation with some other gladiator, he waits. If not, he goes directly to her and asks, "Izora, I need help. Can you cast the spell of Restoration? Do you have it prepared right now?"

20. - Top - End - #140

The entrance guard nods.

Izora Deendra is found walking around alone.

Izora Deendra "Well again. Yes, I deal with undead daily and it's not always on friendly terms. You need it cast? What do you need help with?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe explains, "I fought what I think was a shadow sea serpent last night. I got energy drained."

"I need Restoration cast on myself. If you can cast it and if you have it prepared."

"If you don't have it prepared but you can cast it, I have a scroll of Restoration. I need it cast from the scroll on me. I'm not competent at the moment to do it reliably."

Then he asks, "How much for the service?"
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2018-11-28 at 12:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Izora Deendra "I really don't think any payment is needed. Business is one thing, but draining of life force is a bit serious. What could be worse then loosing some of your connection to your god. And, you know, I do think you'd help me if I needed it....but I don't want to be as low to say you owe me one or anything."

Izora Deendra casts Restoration and removes all of Alton's negative levels.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe gasps as his connection to his god, weakened, surges and returns to normal. The Restoration makes him aware of his injuries that being energy drained had masked.

"Thank you!"

He bows low and says "Cleric of Mystra, thank you for your generosity. Can I at least pay you for the material component of 100 gold of diamond dust?"

After talking to Izora, Alton goes back to the defensive spot. He says to Astar, "I am Restored. I will begin praying for the power to Restore you, too."

"After I Restore you, could you use your power as a paladin to cure my wounds? I have a fight pending today."

Alton gets down on his knees and begins to prepare spells. He rejoices at his new power. According to Tempus, god of Strength and War, Might is Right, and by becoming so Mighty, Alton is more Righteous than ever before.

If and when Alton finishes preparing spells, he casts Healthful Rest on himself and his allies. He then crushes one of his 100-gp diamonds and casts Restoration on Astar Stormsword.

Show
    Sleeping for 8 hours was enough to heal Alton back to 54/54.

Restoration made Alton effective level 9 again and made his HP 54/74.

Spells for the day:

0th: Detect Magic x3, Guidance, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic.
    1st: Divine Favor, Healthful Rest, Liberating Command, Magic Weapon*, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith.
    2nd: Aid, Bull's Strength*, Extended Divine Favor, Resist Energy, Weapon of Awe.
    3rd: Darksight, Magic Circle Against Evil, Magic Vestment*, Extended Delay Poison, Vigor.
    4th: Divine Power*, Freedom of Movement, Restoration.
    5th: Extended Divine Power*, Extended Death Ward.

Cast Healthful Rest and Restoration. The 100-gp diamonds in Alton's possession goes down from 2 to 1.

Show
    Alton would prefer to have Astar use his paladin curing power rather than expend any of his own resources on his healing.

24. - Top - End - #144

Izora Deendra nods and accepts the payment.

Astar Stormsword "Of course" After bring restored:

Spoiler: Cure
    Show

Astar heals 20 damage to Alton.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe pays Izora 100 gold. "You also have my gratitude. Call on me whenever you need help."

After he is healed, he smiles at Astar. "Thanks."

Fully healed, Alton the Axe goes back to the goblin store. Once at the counter, he says, "I'm tired of depending on temporary magic for improved resistance to effects. It's not enough. I want something permanent."

"How much do you charge for a Cloak of Resistance, starting with the second-weakest grade up to the strongest you have for sale?"

Alton is determined not to be caught off guard again.

Show
    HP is 74/74 again.

On-hand gold goes from 11,033 minus 100 to 10,933.

Show
    Alton is asking how much Cloaks of Resistance cost starting at +2 up to the maximum the goblin store sells.

26. - Top - End - #146

Goblin clerk "A cloak of resistance? They are common magic items, standard prices. 1,000 gold for the weakest, 4,000 for the weak, 9,000 for middle, 16,000 for powerful and 25,000 for most powerful."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe grimly considers the exorbitant cost of the most powerful Cloak of Resistance.

He needs gold so that, once he is free, he can buy out his allies and give them their freedom, too. He shouldn't be spending so lavishly.

On the other hand, he can't do that if he dies first. And he came far too close to dying last night, drained by the terrible shadow sea serpent of Shar.

So he tells the goblin clerk, with a sigh, "I'll buy the most powerful Cloak of Resistance you got."

He takes out 10,000 from the funds on his person and lays them on the counter, and he also says, "I'll withdraw 15,000 from my credit account with your store. Total 25,000."

He asks, "Can I have the cloak in blood red? If I'm gonna spend that much gold, I want it in Tempus' colors."

Show
    Give the goblin store clerk 10,000 from on-person gold, going from 10,933 to 933.

Reduce credit from 76,665 by 15,000 to 61,665.

Show
    Alton would have made all his saves if he had a +5 cloak of resistance on him.

I'm assuming you don't have any problem with me optimizing Alton's saves.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2018-12-05 at 10:46 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Goblin clerk "No problem"

Goblin clerk does the transaction, has you make the notes, with draws the money....and gives you a a blood red cloak
    Show
    Of Resistance +5

Spoiler: OOC 2
    Show

Of course not.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe holds up and admires the blood-red cloak for a moment, then puts it on.

He immediately feels more durable and resilient, like he could withstand even dragon breath. Even better, he's accoutered in the correct garment for a high-ranking cleric of Tempus.

Alton considers going to look at Einbon and see if he's wearing the Helm of Rage these days, but decides that he had better lie low instead. He's caused so much ruckus lately, and suffered greatly as a result.

So instead of searching for Einbon, Alton goes back to the defensive spot and casts Delay Poison on himself.

Then he goes to the entrance and waits in hope for Irella Kymeri or a message from the same.

Show
    Cast Delay Poison on self at defensive spot.

Go wait for Irella Kymeri.

Show
    Thanks. I gathered you don't have a problem with making the best of available resources.

Given that, I decided to go big on the Cloak, since my luck in rolling saving throws is so poor.

Spoiler: Stat block
    Show
    Alton the Axe
    Male Chaotic Neutral Human Cleric 7 / Divine Disciple 2, Level 9, Init 7, HP 74/74, Speed 30
    AC 21, Touch 11, Flat-footed 20, Fort 16, Ref 8, Will 16, Base Attack Bonus 6
    +1 vicious battleaxe +13 (1d8+6, x3)
    +1 dissolving club +12 (1d6+6, x2)
    +1 venomous dagger +12 (1d4+6, 19-20/x2)
    Leather Armor of Death Ward, Heavy wooden shield (+8 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 11
    Condition None

30. - Top - End - #150

It takes a couple hours, but Irella Kymeri does eventually come through the entrance. She sees you and comes over.

Irella Kymeri "Well again. Well, I have had quite a exciting time. In the last day I was attacked in quite a direct way. It was close, but as you can see I survived. It did disrupt my day a bit, and I even missed the games last night."