New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1122 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricFellow View Post
    Why Belkars ring stopped working is a bit of a mystery to me
    It is an activated effect, and thus is possible to dispel it.

how 1 vampire can dominate so many so easily seems a bit of a stretch.
    It is not one vampire. It is every vampire giving it a go.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

I will be very surprised if the IFCC ever uses any of their time holding Vaarsuvius' soul to help Vaarsuvius.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    I don't think that IFCC wants Hel's side to win.... they would probably like the Order to win today's fight.
    Well the IFCC's stated goal is "And when the devils, daemons, and demons unite under our commission's logo someday, we will storm the gates of the Upper Planes and lay waste to all that is pure and holy.", and this would be a chance for them to immediately get all the evil aligned souls they are otherwise entitled to while ensuring that all the souls of the Dwarven people do not go to a good aligned plane. So I have to think they are with Hel on this one.

Also, if they want the world to be preserved, why did they want Roy to destroy the gate? They had to know the gods would destroy the world rather than let the Snarl out.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    A magic item has to be specifically chosen for a single-target dispel to be suppressed; area dispels only work on...well, spells. And owl's wisdom is only +4, so if a +6 is present it's almost certainly from a magic item (traditionally a +6 periapt of wisdom).
    Ah, OK, so more of the same "every hero of this level must be a Christmas tree of magic objects because that is how me and my friends play" argument. Don't buy it for the +x to the saving throw, and don't buy it for the +x to wisdom either.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

So unless I am mistaken there are only four vampires left.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    Bloodfeast is not a dinosaur-that-is-currently-kept-in-the-shape-of-a-lizard-through-magic. Bloodfeast is a lizard.

Polymorph and Baleful Polymorph transmute one thing into another. So there is no ongoing magical effect dispel magic to dispel or suppress.
    Actually that only applies to Duration: Instantaneous.

Baleful Polymorph has Duration: Permanent.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverv...s.htm#duration

Permanent
    The energy remains as long as the effect does. This means the spell is vulnerable to dispel magic.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-05-21 at 02:36 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Are we sure she was the one casting searing light at Roy in 1093?
    She's the best option, because there were three attacks, Daylight, Searing Light and Turn Undead, one for each of the Acolytes.

Rogo states he didn't prepare combat spells that day and Tinna states that she never does, so Minrah is the only one who would have been able to have cast Searing Light.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    So unless I am mistaken there are only four vampires left.
    I count at least five: Greg, Poncho & curly black hair at the back, and ponytail and short brown hair behind Roy (short brown hair survived V's fireball).

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-21 at 02:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

I bet Durkon* went straight for Hilgya, perhaps a made-up bonus to dominating her specifically, since they had an intimate time together once or something...

Easiest way for Roy to shut this down might be to kamikaze the remaining cleric vampires to try and dust them. Buuut, even if that might work, the easiest way to avoid that is simply turning into mist again. I think their domination will still hold. So this still isn't good.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I count at least five: Greg, Poncho & curly black hair at the back, and ponytail and short brown hair behind Roy (short brown hair survived V's fireball).

GW
    You're right, I missed the one behind Roy.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Ooooh hoo hoo hoo, what a flawless horror story jump reveal. Beautifully, creepily done!
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

Belkar gets his protection from evil from a magic item item. Dispel magic in 3.5 can suppress the effect of a magic item for 1d4 rounds. Now he is seen to visibly activate the item (causing him some pain), so it's unclear if the protection will spring back immediately when the dispel wears off or if he'd have to deliberately reactivate it (which he wouldn't if dominated.

1d4 rounds of Belkar control is nothing to sneeze at, but normally a dominate lasts for days, so it could be a fun little surprise.

It doesn't look like Durkon has that many vampires left, so he might not have had enough dominates to hit the entire party. The strongest cleric in the group would have been a priority target for the undead if they had any higher level vampire with an especially high dominate DC (maybe Durkon has ability focus and stuff and buffs to improve dominate). Belkar and Haley have classes with worse will saves hence targeting them and I'm guessing Durkon judged Elan to have a poor wisdom. The non-uber cleric might be considered too hard for lower tier guys. Also, there is luck.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

The one behind Roy isn't the one that dodged the fireball; they've got different boots. So six.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

I missed Ponchette's dominating eyes the first time around, as well as Durkon's in page 2 panel 2, so I was quite surprised to see half of them had been dominated because I thought it was all one single action by Durkon. I need to pay more attention.

So, anything Minrah and V can do about this?
    ungelic is us

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    The one behind Roy isn't the one that dodged the fireball; they've got different boots. So six.
    "Ponytail" and "Short brown hair" were already being referred to as different dwarves. "Ponytail" has short pale red hair.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-05-21 at 02:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Hey, Roy finally got his ranged attack!

Also, his sword is known to be a two-handed sword, so it did take him 2 rounds to throw it twice, which I'm assuming is when everyone got dominated.
    At this point, I'm really hoping that they convinced Hilgya to give V her wand of protection from law, as it would let V start un-dominating the party. Greg would have no chance if V is just 1 for 1 tying up his actions while Roy takes out the other Vamps.

I would have to hope that the Order planned for dealing with gazes after dispels. They knew they were walking into a den of Vampire Clerics after all. Both of those were SUPER PREDICTABLE moves, so it would be pretty moronic for them not to be prepared.
    I think that personally, I'd try to make sure everyone had a method for freeing Elan, then he can always use his song of Freedom to try and mass-release other people.

Hilgya blowing her save doesn't really make a lot of sense for one reason: It was pretty dumb of him to TRY and dominate her. 4 out of 5 times that is going to waste an action at a pretty critical time.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nerdnumber1 View Post
    Belkar gets his protection from evil from a magic item item. Dispel magic in 3.5 can suppress the effect of a magic item for 1d4 rounds. Now he is seen to visibly activate the item (causing him some pain), so it's unclear if the protection will spring back immediately when the dispel wears off or if he'd have to deliberately reactivate it (which he wouldn't if dominated.
    The typical fashion for such an item would be that the activated protection from evil effect works as if the spell was cast, and thus can be dispelled as normal for a spell; Belkar could certainly activate it again (you have to explicitly target a magic item with a single-target dispel to suppress it) if he wasn't dominated before he had the chance.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #78
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bluepaw View Post
    Ooooh hoo hoo hoo, what a flawless horror story jump reveal. Beautifully, creepily done!
    Rich does have some horror genre chops, doesn't he? It doesn't seem to be his favorite genre, but when the story calls for it, he can deliver. I thought the "huh...so what if Durkon wasn't actually researching the spell we thought he was..." reveal was really deftly done as well.

Something about the undead seems to bring it out in him. Both the Draketooth mummies and the revealed Vamp Malack were rocking some good creep factor back in the pyramid too, and while I never found Tsukiko's wights particularly effective that way myself, they did inspire him to try a couple of classic horror moves (complete with Wes Craven call-out and everything) way back when.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post

SRD states that:

Special Attacks: A vampire retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those described below. Saves have a DC of 10 + 1/2 vampire’s HD + vampire’s Cha modifier unless noted otherwise.

So, assuming Greg is 15th level, his Dominate DC is 17+Cha modifier, which means 19, maybe 20.
    While charisma is usual for supernatural abilities:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...turalAbilities

Supernatural Abilities (Su)
    Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks. Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a supernatural ability is:

10 + ½ the creature’s HD + the creature’s ability modifier (usually Charisma).
    given that Durkon has a "terribly low Charisma" and Durkula's isn't going to be vastly higher, it might make sense to use his best casting stat instead. If The Giant allows vampires use their "best mental stat" for their powers, that would fix it a bit.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-05-21 at 03:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Ponytail" and "Short brown hair" were already being referred to as different dwarves. "Ponytail" has short pale red hair.
    The vampire Yendor is referring to is neither Ponytail nor Short Brown Hair. Presumably, it's the rightmost vampire here, judging from his boots, belt and clothes.
    ungelic is us

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

No, they are right. The second vampire behind Roy - the one I counted as a second appearance of the short brown hair one - has single-coloured boots, whilst the actual short-brown-haired vampire that dodged the fireball has two-colour boots (heel paler than the front), so they can't be the same vampire.

GW

22. - Top - End - #82

No, they are right. The second vampire behind Roy - the one I counted as a second appearance of the short brown hair one - has single-coloured boots, whilst the actual short-brown-haired vampire that dodged the fireball has two-colour boots (heel paler than the front), so they can't be the same vampire.
    I didn't even notice that there was a second vampire behind Roy on first viewing.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcanon View Post
    And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.
    Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    Hoo boy. I do wonder how Roy will get out of this one. Does the domination end if the vampires are killed?
    Yes, it generally does, though I suspect that's in the FAQ rather than in the rules that I can find. (Unless Giant has chosen for that not to apply, for the above cited reason. )

Not sure about the rules here but since you cannot hypnotize children or madmen then I can see why Kudzu is safe
    Aah, wasn't aware of that, is that a RL thing or an in game thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Well, it looks like The High Priest of Hel knows them well enough to know that would work.
    Well yeah, in Belkar's case, he's done it before at least twice ...

Commentary on Today's Strip, top to bottom.
    Like the shadow effect on Minrah's face in the last panel.
    Like V's fireball
    Like Belkar's line "What? "No way, we should be going after the clerics!"
    I think that there are two vamps behind Roy, so he can cleave them two and drop at least two dominates?

By the way, Thank You Giant; the pacing and action in this strip are both much appreciated.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-05-21 at 04:40 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    Bloodfeast is not a dinosaur-that-is-currently-kept-in-the-shape-of-a-lizard-through-magic. Bloodfeast is a lizard.

Polymorph and Baleful Polymorph transmute one thing into another. So there is no ongoing magical effect dispel magic to dispel or suppress.
    Not true! Baleful Polymorph's duration is Permanent, meaning he IS a dinosaur being constantly held in check by magic forces that can be dispelled.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Mayflower View Post
    Just when my heart falls for Hilgya, Durkon mind controls her! The only person who should be dominating Hilgya is me!

Maybe I should just go back to Jake (Malack).
    Well, you are a high level prophetess. I'm sure there are lots of other cute dwarven clerics who would love to be dominated by you.
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I did call it, that Braidella would be the first to die.
    We have to assume that the vampires that could cast Greater Dispel Magic, did so. Therefore only Ponchella and DurkonT have 13 cleric levels.

Put me down as surprised that Hilgya failed her Will save against the Dominating Gaze, while Minrah made hers.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh... I won't cast predictions on what will happen next... never been good with that. Maybe Order prepared for this eventuality, maybe they didn't. I would like to think they did, but me wanting it doesn't make it so. So yeah, lets wait and see.

But maybe this is a good time to show Belkar's fake character grow isn't so fake after all. Nale ordered him to kill his team mates some few hundreds comics back and Belkar was all too happy to oblige. Now, if memory serves, that was a lower level spell(I want to say Command, but I'm too lazy to check). Domination is a higher level and may not have that "won't do anything that target opposes to personally" clause(again, too lazy to check), but yeah...

What I'm saying, I guess... maybe our vampire, as well as Order itself and some readers at least are in for surprise.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It is an activated effect, and thus is possible to dispel it.

It is not one vampire. It is every vampire giving it a go.

GW

I don't really understand the rules, but every time Belkar activated the ring, he got a yellow light glowing around him causing him some kind of damage. Oddly , this hasn't been shown in this attack by the order.

I was thinking so far that Belkar had not activated his Protection from Evil at all, due to not taking any damage from it or not showing the same signs he showed before.

EDIT

Plus, in the comic where everyone is activating defenses, he's sayign 'cat's disgrace':

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1116.html

EDIT 2:
    Wouldn't it be preferrable for him, if possible, that Hylgia cast Protection from Law on him? If that happened, would it have a similar effect to that of Protection from Evil?
    Last edited by Turin_19; 2018-05-21 at 03:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    Does the domination end if the vampires are killed?
    Yes, it generally does, though I suspect that's in the FAQ rather than in the rules that I can find.
    The FAQ suggests the opposite, in fact:
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 FAQ
    If a spellcaster dies after summoning a monster, does the monster continue to fight?
    A summoned monster continues to carry out your last command as best it can, or it attacks your opponents (whoever they were when you died) failing that.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

While charisma is usual for supernatural abilities:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...turalAbilities

given that Durkon has a "terribly low Charisma" and Durkula's isn't going to be vastly higher, it might make sense to use his best casting stat instead. If The Giant allows vampires use their "best mental stat" for their powers, that would fix it a bit.
    Vampires get a +4 bonus over the base creature for Charisma, so +2 is +2. The Dominating Gaze works like a Dominate Spell with a caster level of 12, so presumably it uses the Vampire's "casting stat".
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)