New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1122 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chy03001 View Post
    Oh dear...This would be the worst possible time for V to get spirited away by the IFCC.
    Interesting, but they have designs on the gate. Hel's plans run completely counter to the IFCC.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by infomatic View Post
    Is Belkar not wearing his Protection from Evil thingy?
    That has to be physically activated and since he is evil he only uses it at the most crucial moments. Like when Count Durkula attacked him at Godsmoot.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love these back and forths

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

For everyone wondering why there was a cutaway before the memory showed: Maybe they're still watching the 20 minutes of washing up before dinner...
    (yes I know about speed of thought and all that, but I can foresee the first line of the next panel being something of the nature, "Finally, we can get down to the actual memory...")

So assuming that the Mind Blanks were either too high-level, or just didn't get dispelled, V is about to have a super-important move.
    Alright, if I were the order, and I were in this situation, planning beforehand, what would I do?
    I would put contingency spells on every PC to cast PoE on them if they got dominated. I would bet that within all of her riches, Haley had something that could work as the focus.
    Barring that, I'd just keep Belkar and Haley out of it. They're a bigger liability to the fight than asset, unless you have repeated ability to un-dominate them.
    Barring that, I would make sure Roy was hasted so he could dust the vamps that succeeded in dominating.

Really though, move-order is what is important now. "Un-mind-whammying" the next person in the order that can free someone else would be best. V frees Elan, Elan frees Haley, Hilgya frees herself, and then frees Belkar could set the whole process back to 0, with more vamps getting puffed by Roy in the process. Similarly, V frees Belkar, Belkar throws his clasp at Elan, Elan frees Haley, Hilgya frees herself could work. It pretty much just comes down to Haley being the end of the chain.

Not really sure though. There are definitely ways to deal with this situation.

Anyway, betting the next panel will be the memory, and that memory will be what actually fixes all of the "Mind-Whammy". That would be the best narrative.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Colossus in the Playground

More to the point, an item-cast first-level spell is easier, not harder, to dispel than a Hilgya-cast first-level spell.

I wonder how many people will post "why isn't Belkar immune to this? His ring*!" before the next strip is up.

*It's not even a ring.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aww, I was still kinda hoping that, when mas dispelling came, a certain lizard would be secretly around to return to full size...

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The gaze duplicates Dominate Person, not Dominate Monster. It couldn't work on Mr Scruffy anyway.
    And when ordered to kill his companions, and the one in front of him to kill is Mr. Scruffy.....

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Concept View Post
    Interesting, but they have designs on the gate. Hel's plans run completely counter to the IFCC.
    I dunno....the IFCC has interceded to ensure Roy destroyed Girard's Gate, Hel's plan to get the world destroyed would destroy Kraagor's Gate along with the world, and Hel's intent to displace the leadership of the Northern Pantheon in the next world would certainly tip the cosmic balance between Good and Evil.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by InOurHands View Post
    Hilga on her side probably started with 16 wisdom, put all of her class augments in that (19) and lets assume a +4 periapt of wisdom.

That gives us a base save of: Cleric 13: +8, a +3 resistance bonus on her cloak, +11, +6 wisdom, +17.
    You seem to be assuming too much. For all we know, Hilgya has a Wisdom of 17, and no magical items aiding her (remember that Durkon had an Amulet of Natural Armor instead of). Do we even see her wearing an amulet (which could be non-magical for all we know) or a cloak? She could have a Will Save of just +11.

Also, look at panel 12. That other high level cleric (who might be level 12 or higher) is also dominating. It seems likely to me that she dominated two and Greg dominated two. I don't think it's too unlikely that Hilgya rolled a 1 on her save, anyway (5% chance). Elan likely has a Will save around +6-7 or so, so it doesn't seem all that unlikely that he failed as well. Haley's could potentially be as low as +3. Belkar does have a +3 Vest of Resistance, but he also has a Wisdom penalty and classes with poor will saves, so him getting dominated isn't all that unlikely either.

Also the little cleric only has to cast circle of protection from evil to win this.
    It's a level 3 spell. It's fully possible that Minhra has run out of level 3 spells for today (she is implied to not be a high level cleric, after all), or that she never prepared it to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    Roy's more Dracula than Durkon right now, what with all the impaling going on.
    So should he be called "Roy the Impaler" from now on?

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by greenfunkman View Post
    What did Durkon* learn about the Order of the Stick in that memory, from years before Durkon Classic joined them?
    Absolutely nothing. The agreement is that the memory doesn't involve the Order at all.

What's happened is that the vampire has finally figured out that everything is diving for the Abyss and he needs a new game plan.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by infomatic View Post
    Is Belkar not wearing his Protection from Evil thingy?
    Apparently, those things don't prevent getting hit by dominate, but a prot from evil suppresses it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Vampire may be an overpriced template for PCs ... But on a villain, that at-will dominate can wreak havoc.
    Yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    Hoo boy. I do wonder how Roy will get out of this one. Does the domination end if the vampires are killed?
    Apparently not.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Indeed. Yes, it generally does, though I suspect that's in the FAQ rather than in the rules that I can find. (Unless Giant has chosen for that not to apply, for the above cited reason. )
    Obviously, I was mixing editions in my head; my "it generally does" is incorrect. The dominate lasts for quite a while even if the vampire is destroyed, per the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The question would seem to be whether or not the death of the person that issued the telepathic order frees the dominated person from continuing to obey that order. The link continues after the order is given, but it is far from clear whether or not the death of the caster at one end of the link affects the victim at the other.
    It would appear that the dominate instructions remain until a new save is made, or 12 days has elapsed.

Wow, that's powerful.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Absolutely nothing. The agreement is that the memory doesn't involve the Order at all.

What's happened is that the vampire has finally figured out that everything is diving for the Abyss and he needs a new game plan.
    I read it that the agreement was that none of the Order of the Stick would be IN the memory.

If Durkon* didn't learn something about the Order of the Stick, why did the Giant lead with 'I best not act on this information'?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

I read it that the agreement was that none of the Order of the Stick would be IN the memory.

If Durkon* didn't learn something about the Order of the Stick, why did the Giant lead with 'I best not act on this information'?
    If you are referring to panel 1, I suspect that Durkula is referring to all of what he has harvested from Durkon's memories up to this point, which he might have deemed useful in figuring out how to fight Roy and his team. I don't think that remark refers to what memory Durkon is about to show him in re his mom and the kitchen. (at least I didn't take it that way).
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, that's powerful.
    Yes. Kind of why having it at-will is rated so highly; a vampire only needs to spend some time to get someone else to do just about any non-suicidal task for them. The out-of-combat potential is staggering....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Ah, crap. Now, does HPoH understand his targets well enough to avoid triggering the "against their nature" clause of domination?
    Nope. He thinks everybody is who they were at their worst remember? He thinks Belkar still cares foe absolutely no-one, V values magic above everything else n

2 if you assume the sidekick but its a stretch to assume all 4 of their dominate was effective with such low odds of success.
    [...]
    So at most there should be 2 people dominated, 4 is if every vampire remainign is activaly dominating instead of doing something else, and you'd kinda notice faster.
    THere are half a dozen vampires left not just two. I could totally buy that the redhead fighter was the one who dominated Elan for example.
    once again, why no one else does something is beyond me
    Some of them are busy getting dominated, at least.

Also the little cleric only has to cast circle of protection from evil to win this.
    20 gp and one internet say did not prepare it today.

Because that's the logical response to failing to predict their actions?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    If I was in Durkula's shoes, the order I'd give Hilgya would be something like, "Attack the nearest Lawful Good person". That wouldn't go against her nature, I don't think.
    If Durkon for some reason has been feeding him carefully edited memories (or, actually, unedited memories would do), it is very possible that Durkula might think "Hilgya, protect me from the OOTS gang!" is an order that would not go against her desires.

That would be funny.

17. - Top - End - #227

Neither those words nor a personal appearance of Rich are in the comic, so I'd suggest fewer assumptions.

If by that you mean, why did Greg say "We'll be better off if I ignore what I know about them and just fight like they were any other high-level party," Greg's reactions for the fight thus far hinged on assumptions which proved disastrously wrong for him: "They're just going to charge in without a plan," "Vaarsuvius will be unprotected and their sole source of significant offensive output," "They have no cleric anywhere close to our level." No reference to the memory Durkon is currently showing him is implied.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm assuming V will get whisked away by the IFCC now, just for the sake of protecting their toy. Because otherwise, he's in very real danger now
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I should say that this is a great comic. I mean, the entire fight so far has been pretty awesome, but multiple twists in this one - all the dispells, then roy surprising durkon with the sword return thing and then "whoops!! Swirly eyes!!"

very enjoyable. You know a story is great when you A) know the heroes are in mighty trouble B) they are going to get out of it because plot and C) you are still on the edge of your seat, cause you don't really know how.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    I'm assuming V will get whisked away by the IFCC now, just for the sake of protecting their toy. Because otherwise, he's in very real danger now
    This is something I've been thinking about-- if the IFCC uses one of their chits on Vaarsuvius, it won't be to throw the fight to the vampires; it'll be to protect V from being killed by them.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have not read all of the posts, so maybe someone has already addressed this.

Didn't V also have a quickened Fireball? Or was that already cast?

If not then we ought to have another one coming.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    If they take V away, Roy and Minrah are likely done for, and V can later go back to a hall full of hostile vampires and no allies. Bad idea if they want to protect their toy.
    ungelic is us

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obscuraphile View Post
    But is Belkar still Chaotic Evil? He seems to be undergoing some significant character changes. He cares about Durkon and the others...

Also do we have any sourcebooks that describe the mechanical effects of Roy's weapon bond or is it Giant homebrew?
    I agree, it seems like he is moving toward Chaotic Neutral, at least IMHO.

24. - Top - End - #234

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jokem View Post
    I have not read all of the posts, so maybe someone has already addressed this.

Didn't V also have a quickened Fireball? Or was that already cast?

If not then we ought to have another one coming.
    Quickened Fireball is a level 7 spell. It might have been one of the spells drained by the level loss after the forcecage went down (restoration restores level loss but not the one spell you lose per level drained, from highest level first).

V is likely limited to level 6 or even level 5 max spells right now, due to high level slot drain. Even if V still has L7 slots left, V might have chosen to sacrifice the fireball in favor of saving something else, since V knew that the opposition would be fire resistant for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by Seward; 2018-05-22 at 01:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Quickened Fireball is a level 7 spell. It might have been one of the spells drained by the level loss after the forcecage went down (restoration restores level loss but not the one spell you lose per level drained, from highest level first).

V is likely limited to level 6 or even level 5 max spells right now, due to high level slot drain. Even if V still has L7 slots left, V might have chosen to sacrifice the fireball in favor of saving something else, since V knew that the opposition would be fire resistant for the forseeable future.
    Disintegrate is level 6... and great against undead.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither those words nor a personal appearance of Rich are in the comic, so I'd suggest fewer assumptions.

If by that you mean, why did Greg say "We'll be better off if I ignore what I know about them and just fight like they were any other high-level party," Greg's reactions for the fight thus far hinged on assumptions which proved disastrously wrong for him: "They're just going to charge in without a plan," "Vaarsuvius will be unprotected and their sole source of significant offensive output," "They have no cleric anywhere close to our level." No reference to the memory Durkon is currently showing him is implied.
    In the previous strip Durkon* says he will "Let you try your trick, knowing it's a trick, and that I should ignore it." Then 5 panels later, on the next page, after Durkon Classic shows him a memory he says "We'll be better off if I ignore what I know about them and just fight like they were any other high-level party".

The word choice of 'ignore' twice in such quick succession, bracketing the memory, implies a connection to me.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Apparently, those things don't prevent getting hit by dominate, but a prot from evil suppresses it.
    Yeah.
    Apparently not.
    Obviously, I was mixing editions in my head; my "it generally does" is incorrect. The dominate lasts for quite a while even if the vampire is destroyed, per the rules.
    It would appear that the dominate instructions remain until a new save is made, or 12 days has elapsed.

Wow, that's powerful.
    The link you give is to one DM's opinions - those are not RAW. Also, even allowing for that, the RAW require a daily "refresh" of the control or a saving throw is granted. From SRD:
    If you don’t spend at least 1 round concentrating on the spell each day, the subject receives a new saving throw to throw off the domination.
    High level adventurers have at least some chance at saving.

I retain the opinion that we don't know what happens when the vampire dies. My Warblade was dominated by a vampire spawn a few years back, and the DM ruled that I was free when the Paladin destroyed the spawn with a good turning roll.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Do you think Hilgya failed her Will save because clerics of Loki cast spells with their Charisma stat instead of Wisdom?

29. - Top - End - #239

I think she just rolled badly, for my part.

Anyone fails a save on a natural 1. And as far as pure mechanics go, Roy should have a lower Will save than Elan and only marginally better than Haley's, so I'd say Rich is treating "I'm writing this character as strong/weak-willed" as more important than the pure D&D mechanics.
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-05-22 at 02:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think she just rolled badly, for my part.

Anyone fails a save on a natural 1. And as far as pure mechanics go, Roy should have a lower Will save than Elan and only marginally better than Haley's, so I'd say Rich is treating "I'm writing this character as strong/weak-willed" as more important than the pure D&D mechanics.
    Dashing Swordsman has a weak Will save, so Elan's Will Save isn't as good as it would be if he'd stayed a pure Bard.