New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Henchmen! 5e D&D

Wilfred investigates both the vase and the sculpture without touching them. He snips with his fingers after murmuring a few magic words. Then his left glove starts to shine in a bright light. My superior intellect will make investigating this house almost child's play! He approaches the sculpture - avoiding to step on the rug - and finds his vantage point is quite poor. Would....would someone help me to see the top half of this? You hear angry muttering and some words about how it's time he got to learn that levitation spell Rauric promised to teach him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Investigation: (1d20+7)[14]
    If ANY of this seems magical I try to recall any historical facts about it
    History (adv): (1d20+7)[11] or (1d20+7)[26]
    If anything here is worth its weight for an arcanist, I'd too like to know.
    Arcana (1d20+7)[13]
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-06-06 at 05:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

The room appears to be entirely mundane, at least to the extent of Wilfred’s investigation.

The vase is a typical piece of art of the Duergars, a subterranean race of dwarves. Perhaps a gift or ransacked treasure. All the items can be sold for a reasonable price, but the statue and rug are too big to fit in your backpacks.

ooc: check the map for the doors!

Spoiler: The Party!
    Show

Character HP/AC Race/Class Special effects Has Inspiration Purse
    Dawner Thunukalath HP:13/13, AC:16 Goliath Fighter none yes 10sp
    Wilfred Springgauge HP:9/9, AC:15 Rock Gnome Wizard Mage Armor yes 10sp
    Barry Dwark HP: 8/8, AC:14 Human Rogue none yes 15sp
    Gorin Hopsmith HP:10/10, AC:14 Hill Dwarf Druid none yes 10sp
    It is 9:35pm. Today is Mudsday, Chahari 30, in the 58th year of his magnitude, the Supreme Overlord.
    It’s late spring and the night is unseasonable hot for the time of the year.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Dawner Thunukalath
    Level 1 Fighter | HP: 13/13 | AC: 16 | PP: 13

Dawner watches as the bugbear is mangled to bits, "Well, better him than me." He steps inside the foyer illuminating the surroundings. Seeing three doors he scratches his head for a moment. Stepping off to the side as the others investigate Dawner leans against the wall crossing his arms and closing his eyes a bit, "Let me know which door we are going through. I'll just be here."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dawner will move to E4 and lean against the wall, waiting till the others make a decision.

Games I DM
    War of the Heavens: IC OOC - Map

Games I Play In
    The Godkiller's Will: IC OOC DOC - Raistlin - Master of Lore

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well I will check the vase and the doors for traps. If growing up on the streets has taught me anything it is be careful first and then take what you can.

Barry then moves in and looks for anything unusual.

Spoiler: Investigation checks
    Show
    Vase investigate (1d20+2)[3]
    E6 investigate (1d20+2)[17]
    E2 investigate (1d20+2)[12]
    B2 investigate (1d20+2)[15]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gorin

For a second, Gorin thinks about piping up about all the eyes scanning valuables. Then again this wizard guy kept a half-dozen hyenas in the space for about 2 regular dogs, so sod-em. While the others see to valuables and traps, the druid looks for something out of place... maybe a picture with eyes that move of something skulking around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+3)[15]
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #66

PirateGuy

The druid, Gorin, scans the room. Wise to the trickery of the arcane types, the dwarf stares intensely into an inconspicuous painting and concludes the eyes of the portrait are in fact not moving.

Except for the secret door, everything is disappointingly mundane.

The only question that remains is which path to take into the mysteryous house...

7. - Top - End - #67

AssassinGuy

Barry moves to the secret door investigates it and then will proceeds to open the door.

Spoiler: check for trap and unlock secret door if needed
    Show
    Check for traps (1d20+2)[11]
    Unlock secret door if locked(1d20+7)[8]

Once open Barry peers inside.

Here’s to getting this done. I sure believed this was going to be a lot different.

Barry chuckles audibly.

8. - Top - End - #68

PirateGuy

Through the secret door, Barry finds a small room that appears to be a study or a reading room of some kind. There is a huge book shelf, packed full of books, along with a desk and comfortable-looking sofa.

There are no other doors or windows leading in or out of this room.

updated map!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

A HIDDEN DOOR! THIS MUST BE THE SECRET LAIR! Madness flares up in Wilfred's eyes. Magic was to be found. Tomes full of knowledge could expand his horizon, nurture his power. The gnome rushes into the secret room and looks around. The big shelf of books catches his attention quickly. Now what is this library about?

10. - Top - End - #70

PirateGuy

Ravaging through a seemingly endless pile of non-magical books, Wilfred finds an old dusty tome, black leather cover inscribed with purple arcane runes: A spellbook!

Quickly shuffling through the pages, the gnome realizes this to be not the spellbook of an accomplished wizard, but a novice’s of magical prowess not far from his own. Still, a magic book could always come in handy.

Nothing else in the room is worth of note.

Where will the group go next?

Will Wilfred keep the spellbook?

There are 10 spells in the book, of which Wilfred recognizes only one (Sleep).
    To comprehend one of the spells, Wilfred needs to study it for at least one hour.

The map

Show

It is 9:40pm. Today is Mudsday, Chahari 30, in the 58th year of his magnitude, the Supreme Overlord.
    Last edited by Caterpie; 2018-06-06 at 08:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Gorin

With Wilfred off exploring the secret room and nothing else of danger in the room, Gorin peeks his head into see what the gnome is up to "Oi, if that's a reading room see if he kept any of the good stuff ta drink with it. Then hurry up."

He makes an over-exaggerated gesture at the western door near the secret room.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Let's just hope these spells are written in a way I can use from the book the gnome murmurs. Wilfred continues to look around to maybe find the fine inks required to put these spells into his books.

13. - Top - End - #73

RedWizardGuy

Dawner Thunukalath

Dawner starts tapping his foot on the floor impatiently as he waits for a direction. He heads over the doorway of the opened room and peeks in. Not seeing a cat he then moves on to the door Gorin is gesturing at. "I swear if we don't find this cat soon I'm dropping this torch into that room full of books and calling it a night." Dawner declares before pulling the door on the west side open and peering inside.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception when peaking into secret room: (1d20+3)[12]
    Movement: Move to H10
    Perception looking into west room/area: (1d20+3)[8]

Games I DM

Games I Play In

14. - Top - End - #74

AssassinGuy

Barry shakes his head at the gnome as he looks through the book.

Hey there is time for reading later. Maybe you can show me a thing or two when it comes to magic. I have always had a fascination with it myself. But for now we need to find the cat. The longer we are here the more danger it causes for us.

Barry moves to the door to the north and opens it up.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Wilfred turns his attention away from the book. Bah, I can show you a few tricks but I don't think you will ever be able to grasp the lore of the infinite cosmos. The gnome pauses Right, the cat. You will probably get her to come home with a bit of food. Or Eusepius could hunt it down. Eusepius? The white ferret jumps down from the highest row of books onto Wilfred's shoulder. Go find the nearest cat!

Familiar Perception: (1d20+3)[10](1d20+3)[23]

Keen Hearing and Smell..The weasel has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

16. - Top - End - #76

PirateGuy

Sadly, the studyroom desk is not provisioned with any of the magical inks Wilfred was looking for.

Outside the secret door, Dawner’s disappointed to find yet another boring room filled with books. This appears to be some kind of guest room and it is very well maintained. The floors are clean and the furniture is properly dusted. The bed is huge and covered in very luxurious sheets. There are no other doors leading into or out of this room

Meanwhile, Barry opens the door north finding another small hall with a stairway leading to the second floor.

Following his master’s orders, Eusepius runs up to the second floor.

The map

(Where will the party move to?)

Show

It is 9:40pm. Today is Mudsday, Chahari 30, in the 58th year of his magnitude, the Supreme Overlord.
    Last edited by Caterpie; 2018-06-07 at 05:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Gorin

Knowing that little critters often have senses far beyond anything two-legged, Gorin begins moving towards the staircase to follow the thing. "Either the thing's crazy or it's on to something," the dwarf states before pausing for a moment. "Which one is it?" he adds raising his volume and trying to get Wilfred's attention.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

It has a name and it's Eusepius. And it might appear insane to you. But it is a fie...I mean fey creature with a less obvious body. You check upstairs. Here is arcane knowledge to be had.

Wilfred realizes the guest room probably doesn't hold insane magical secrets. But checking cannot hurt either. Maybe the wizard's mistress left her magical underwear lying about.

19. - Top - End - #79

AssassinGuy

Barry watches as the small creature moves passed him and runs upstairs. He immediately starts to follow trying to move silently as to not alert the cat if it is upstairs. As he moves he checks for traps of any kind on his way.

Spoiler: stealth and investigation
    Show
    stealth(1d20+7)[15]
    investigate for traps (1d20+2)[22]

20. - Top - End - #80

PirateGuy

With Gorin and Barry heading to the stairs while Wilfred looks around the guest room for magical underpants, the part hears the east-door on the hall opening and three creatures enter the hall!

Spoiler: speaking in undercommon
    Show
    “Hey!! Did you guys kill the guard? I hate mopping up bugbear entrails!”

They are short and bulky humanoids with dark grey skin, white hair and white beards. They wear grey jumpsuits with nametags on them and are carrying buckets, mops and brooms.

And they also carry weapons.

ooc: Everyone, roll initiative!

Map.

Show

It is 9:50pm. Today is Mudsday, Chahari 30, in the 58th year of his magnitude, the Supreme Overlord.
    Last edited by Caterpie; 2018-06-09 at 07:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81

RedWizardGuy

Dawner Thunukalath

Dawner is dismayed to find another empty room. Growing agitated be beings to turn around, thinking of making due to his torch threat, until his eyes meet three little creatures coming out of a door to the south entrance! With a roar of excitement, he gets ready for a fight!

Spoiler: Initiative roll!
    Show
    (1d20)[2] <---- Seriously.... ugh I'm going to start rolling initiative in the OOC now...
    Hmm what to do with this torch......

Last edited by Relkin; 2018-06-09 at 10:54 AM.
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

22. - Top - End - #82

PirateGuy

The sudden entrance of the three enemies takes most of the party members by surprised, expect for Barry “The Bumble” Dwark, who is always fast on his feet!

Spoiler: Battlemap + Initiative order + The Party!
    Show

Battlemap!

Initiative order – Round 1

Barry – 21 – it’s his turn!
    Belrot – 13
    Walla – 11
    Bordo – 7
    Wilfred – 3
    Gorin – 3
    Dawner - 2

It is 9:50pm. Today is Mudsday, Chahari 30, in the 58th year of his magnitude, the Supreme Overlord.

23. - Top - End - #83

PirateGuy

The small human known as the “Bumble” quickly draws his shortbow and shoots an arrow against Bordo.

(1d20+5)[25], damage: (1d6+3)[8]

24. - Top - End - #84

PirateGuy

Barry’s arrow pierces the humanoid’s flank and he lets out a very angry scream of pain! “AAARRHHH!!”

In response, the gray dwarf with “Belrot” as a nametag draws a lance! The tip of the weapon is burning red hot with a small flame coming out of it. He points the exotic weapon at the goliath Dawner and shoots an alchemical spray of fire!

(Dawner needs to pass a dexterity saving throw DC 12 or suffer (3d6)[6] fire damage, half if he passes)

The second gray dwarf, Walla, moves into close combat range with the scorched goliath, Dawner. She growls in a deep voice as her entire body begins to transform. She enlarges herself, ripping the gray jumpsuit into rags, she grows to a size much larger than Dawner’s, readying to attack him with an also enlarged warpick.

The last of the gray dwarves, critically wounded by Barry’s arrow, rushes to the small corridor where the rogue took cover and attacks him with the warpick!

Attack on Barry: (1d20+4)[15], damage: (1d8+2)[10] piercing.

With a strong hit to the chest, Barry falls to the ground bleeding. The life slowly fading away from his eyes.

ooc: it's Wilfred's turn!

Show

Battlemap!

Barry – 21 – already went
    Belrot – 13 – already went
    Walla – 11 – already went
    Bordo – 7 – already went
    Wilfred – 3 – it’s his turn!
    Gorin – 3
    Dawner - 2

Barry Dwark HP: 0/8, AC:14 Human Rogue dying yes 15sp
    Last edited by Caterpie; 2018-06-11 at 04:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Sleep you imbeciles! Wilfred almost screams while frantically waggling his fingers. The subtle art of illusion is lost on him

Spoiler
    Show
    formatting when i am home.
    (5d8)[18] HP of people affected starting with the minion with the least health.

26. - Top - End - #86

PirateGuy

The druid Gorin heals the fallen rogue back to full health!

Bordo is fast asleep.
    Two of the enemies remain up and fighting: The giant-sized Walla and the fire blower Belrot.

ooc: it's Dawner's turn! (Dawner can act too)

Show

Battlemap!

Bordo – 7 – fast asleep
    Wilfred – 3 – already went
    Gorin – 3 – already went
    Dawner - 2 - it's his turn!

Barry Dwark HP: 8/8, AC:14 Human Rogue prone yes 15sp
    It is 9:50pm.
    Last edited by Caterpie; 2018-06-12 at 01:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Gorin

Well that resolves a problem of whether that guy needed a bashin' before or after Gorin solves the other's "bleeding to death problem". After saying some Druidic words, the dwarf channels the healing power of the primal into the downed Barry. It's refreshing, like a summer rain... mixed with visions of gruesome death.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure wounds Healing - (1d8+3)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

PirateGuy

The druid Gorin heals the fallen rogue back to full health!

Bordo is fast asleep.
    Two of the enemies remain up and fighting: The giant-sized Walla and the fire blower Belrot.

ooc: it's Dawner's turn!

Show

Battlemap!

Bordo – 7 – fast asleep
    Wilfred – 3 – already went
    Gorin – 3 – already went
    Dawner - 2 - it's his turn!

It is 9:50pm.
    Last edited by Caterpie; 2018-06-12 at 01:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

RedWizardGuy

Dawner Thunukalath
    Level 1 Fighter | HP: 7/13 | AC: 16 | PP: 13 | Second Wind 1/1 | Stone's Endurance 0/1

Dawner takes the fire bolt and roars in response. Just then the smaller Walla steps forward and grows to meet the challenge of the large goliath! "Yes a real a challenge!!!" Dawner roars as he tosses the torch behind him and wields his maul forward! He slams it towards Walla, hoping to land a deadly blow!

Spoiler: Round 1 OOC
    Show
    Dexterity Saving Throw: (1d20)[7] vs DC 12 = FAIL Dawner takes 6 Damage!
    Free Action: Toss torch behind him

Attack Action: (1d20+6)[19]

Damage: (2d6)[3][6](9) + 4 = 13 bludgeoning damage!
    If a 1 or 2 on either d6 then reroll:
    1st: (1d6)[4]
    2nd: (1d6)[6]

Last edited by Relkin; 2018-06-12 at 05:07 PM.
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

30. - Top - End - #90

PirateGuy

Dawner hits fast and hits hard!! The giant-sized grey dwarf howls in pain and curses at the fighter!

Walla looks severely hurt, but still stands.

ooc: It’s Barry’s turn!

Show

Battlemap!

Initiative order – Round 2

Barry – 21 – it’s his turn!
    Belrot – 13
    Eusepius - 11
    Walla – 11
    Bordo – 7 – fast asleep
    Wilfred – 3
    Gorin – 3
    Dawner - 2

Dawner Thunukalath HP:7/13, AC:16 Goliath Fighter none yes 10sp
    Last edited by Caterpie; 2018-06-13 at 07:07 AM.