New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RIP TotalBiscuit

You underestimate the urge of young teenagers to draw attention to themselves in a consequence-free environment. The anonymity of the internet gives all the upsides of pretending to be someone you're not with very few of the downsides, particularly on a website whose culture has evolved so it very much has your back without question.

It's also not just people pretending to be trans, it's the "otherkin" (which I haven't seen much of recently, guess the trend died down) that got most of the flak. Self-identifying as animals or fantasy creatures and coming up with their own pronouns to be used. That's how the whole "I sexually identify as an attack helicopter" meme started, and is the context involved in this tweet.

I have no doubt you are correct: most people would not even think to pretend to be trans...in real life. But everybody has their own little personas they put on on the internet, especially at a younger age. Hell, this user name essentially used to be my alter ego, a mantle I put on when I went online that let me be someone more confident and cool than I really was, so I even get where it comes from, and it really was a very strong trend in certain niches of a website for a good few years.

Mocking it may be in poor taste, sure, but shouldn't be something thrown in a man's face years later. Particularly not a face with eyes closed and body interred.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-05-26 at 01:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Moving away from TotalBiscuit's cultural politics, his consumer advocacy standpoint nonetheless was greatly impactful in the industry, as was his dedication to finding non-AAA gems and bringing them to light.

He will be missed.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

The Winged Mod: Locked for review.

EDIT: Thread will remain locked after review.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2018-05-26 at 10:46 PM.