New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: How to eat corn on the cob, and similar points of disagreement

Quote Originally Posted by Obscuraphile View Post
    I don't believe anyone would claim that an object covered in mercury is wet
    Conversely, I don't know why anyone wouldn't claim that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Speaking for myself, it's because the question doesn't come up very often.

Here's a more practical question: Brush first, or floss first?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Here's a more practical question: Brush first, or floss first?
    Are you saying you do them in a row?

I floss after eating dinner, brush after breakfast and before bed. You [joking] animal. [/joke]
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-05-29 at 10:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking for myself, it's because the question doesn't come up very often.
    Count your blessings. I've had to dispose a rag soaked in mercury from a broken (old style) thermometer. Of course, at the time the adjective that came to mind wasn't so much "wet" as it was "toxic" (with "poisonous" and "dangerous" jockeying for position), but in retrospect, I can most definitely affirm that "wet" was an appropriate adjective for the rag ("soaked", rather, but that's just "wet, but even more so").

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I do want to participate. I just don't want to have a boring "this is what a word ought to mean" discussion. It is also quite rich to suggest "water is wet" is a "commonly disputed issue".
    I don't know, I was having great fun with the conversation until you began splitting quotes in this most odious of manners. A simple google search will produce plenty of results from news outlets, scientific papers, and educational sources discussing this very issue.

Yes, it is. It is liquid water in suspension.
    Fascinating. With a single sentence you would deny an entire state of matter. I guess the air we all breath is just 78% liquid nitrogen in suspension, 20% liquid oxygen in suspension, 1% liquid argon in suspension, half a percent liquid carbon dioxide in suspension, and half a percent trace liquid elements in suspension.

Yes, I would.
    Point. I will change my argument. No liquid, water or otherwise is wet, albeit for the same reasons.

And again you are trying to redefine something. I've already addressed this and you continuing to insist otherwise is, as I said above, boring.
    Is water wet is a scientific question and often standard usages of words are insufficient to deal with scientific matters. Water does not become wet until you get enough water together, therefore if there can be not wet water then water on its own is not wet, only sufficiently large collections of water are wet.

It is the same in that it keys on how the word is defined. But unlike "chicken egg", "wet" does have a clear definition that does not allow for the debate to happen.
    That's not the point. The question posed by the chicken and the egg is "where does an extant cycle begin?" The answer being equally arguable at any step. It might equally be phrased as where is the start of a wheel.
    Last edited by Obscuraphile; 2018-05-29 at 11:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

That's not the point. The question posed by the chicken and the egg is "where does an extant cycle begin?" The answer being equally arguable at any step. It might equally be phrased as where is the start of a wheel.
    I always thought that question was rather dumb, personally. Unless you're positing that all cycles have always been in existence for an infinite length of time, extant cycles (temporal cycles, anyway) do, in fact, have a beginning. Whether that beginning is immediately apparent is a different story. The answer to such questions shouldn't be a quibbling about where the beginning is, it should be either an easy answer (because the answer is known and readily shown) or "I have insufficient information to answer that question."

"Where is the start of a wheel?" is fundamentally a different sort of question: it's not a cycle in the same sense; it's merely circularly shaped. In fact, it's much closer to "where is the start of a square" than "which came first: chicken or egg." And a square isn't a cycle in any sense.
    Last edited by Fiery Diamond; 2018-05-30 at 02:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I always thought that question was rather dumb, personally. Unless you're positing that all cycles have always been in existence for an infinite length of time, extant cycles (temporal cycles, anyway) do, in fact, have a beginning. Whether that beginning is immediately apparent is a different story. The answer to such questions shouldn't be a quibbling about where the beginning is, it should be either an easy answer (because the answer is known and readily shown) or "I have insufficient information to answer that question."

"Where is the start of a wheel?" is fundamentally a different sort of question: it's not a cycle in the same sense; it's merely circularly shaped. In fact, it's much closer to "where is the start of a square" than "which came first: chicken or egg." And a square isn't a cycle in any sense.
    I agree with you in the specific, but this is still not what I'm trying to get at, which could certainly be my fault for being inarticulate. What I'm driving at is that these questions fundamentally don't have answers in general. The original point of "which came first, the chicken or the egg" is that you pick a side and defend it. If you break it down to "well historically there were creatures born from eggs before there were modern chickens" then you have missed the point.

Its the same with water isn't wet. Focusing on definitions and getting the "right" answer is the wrong way to look at the question. It's like Zeno's paradoxes, we can look at the world and say well obviously "this" but when we try to use the fundamental mathematical and logical systems that we base nearly everything upon we cannot logically prove what we perceive. They're all just fun little games that are interesting to argue.

I think water isn't wet and I've put forth my reasons why. Grey Wolf has said it's a dumb game, and he's entitled to that opinion, but I don't agree.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    only crazy people eat oatmeal raisin cookies
    Well call me crazy, then. I quite like them.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I always thought that question was rather dumb, personally.
    It's more boring than dumb. Lets solve it, right now: eggs predate chickens by millions of years, or billions, depending on how you define egg, since fish lay eggs, and they were around before any land animal evolved.

To which a pedant will then say "well, the question is about chickens, and chicken eggs", to which I recommend being pedant back and say "no, it clearly does not specify 'chicken egg'", and call it good enough. But if you want to be kind, you can then inform them that there is no definition for chicken egg. For example, if you choose to define it as "an egg laid by a chicken", then the chicken had to come first. If instead you choose to define it as "an egg from which a chicken was born" then the egg came first. It all comes down to the definition, which doesn't exist, so you are free to pick the one you like best.

The problem is that this question, like the omphalos debate, was thought up before evolutionary theory, and thus it was a question about the cycle of nature in an unchanging world. It came down to "did the supreme being create a grown chicken ex nihilo, or did they create eggs which hatched". Debating the question today is indeed quite boring, since it has been answered by science (except for the definitional bit mentioned above).

It's like Zeno's paradoxes
    It is indeed, and again you are right, but draw the wrong conclusions from it. Like the problem above, Zeno's paradoxes have been solved (in this case, by math)

Grey Wolf has said it's a dumb game
    No, I have not. I said that it is a boring game. FYI, misrepresenting your opponent's words is generally considered bad form.

Fascinating. With a single sentence you would deny an entire state of matter. I guess the air we all breath is just 78% liquid nitrogen in suspension, 20% liquid oxygen in suspension, 1% liquid argon in suspension, half a percent liquid carbon dioxide in suspension, and half a percent trace liquid elements in suspension.
    So what you read in my statement "water in 100% humidity air is a liquid in suspension" actually means "all air is liquid"? I'm not sure if you are intentionally misreading what I say or you are ignorant of basic physical reality, but I've had enough. Good bye.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-30 at 10:47 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It is the same in that it keys on how the word is defined. But unlike "chicken egg", "wet" does have a clear definition that does not allow for the debate to happen.

Grey Wolf
    Actually, that one is easy. Something that was ALMOST a chicken (99.999..% there) laid the egg that hatched into the first chicken. So the egg came first.

Now, at what point in the evolutionary cycle did that moment happen? (ie, WHICH egg hatched the first chicken)? That's another argument entirely.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Actually, that one is easy. Something that was ALMOST a chicken (99.999..% there) laid the egg that hatched into the first chicken. So the egg came first.

Now, at what point in the evolutionary cycle did that moment happen? (ie, WHICH egg hatched the first chicken)? That's another argument entirely.
    But was the egg a chicken egg or a proto-chicken egg that happened to hatch a chicken?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    But was the egg a chicken egg or a proto-chicken egg that happened to hatch a chicken?
    Keltest gets it (and took the words out of my mouth). As I said, it comes down to what you choose as the definition of "chicken egg". And since there can be as many definitions as people, we can all be right, we are all wrong, and ultimately it is boring because of it.

GW

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also I don't believe anyone would claim that an object covered in mercury is wet, yet mercury is liquid at room temperature.
    Count your blessings. I've had to dispose a rag soaked in mercury from a broken (old style) thermometer. Of course, at the time the adjective that came to mind wasn't so much "wet" as it was "toxic" (with "poisonous" and "dangerous" jockeying for position), but in retrospect, I can most definitely affirm that "wet" was an appropriate adjective for the rag ("soaked", rather, but that's just "wet, but even more so").

GW
    I was going to interject that the reason I wouldn't call an object covered in mercury "wet" is because mercury adheres to itself much more strongly than it adheres to other things, and thus it tends to not "wet" things. (By which I am pointing out that a pipette full of mercury will have a meniscus pointing down while a pipette of water will have a meniscus pointing up). However, Grey_Wolf_c's example of a mercury soaked rag calls my worldview into question. I must therefore engage in a bloody crusade to cleanse the world of all things that challenge my worldview. Waaagh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I was going to interject that the reason I wouldn't call an object covered in mercury "wet" is because mercury adheres to itself much more strongly than it adheres to other things, and thus it tends to not "wet" things. (By which I am pointing out that a pipette full of mercury will have a meniscus pointing down while a pipette of water will have a meniscus pointing up). However, Grey_Wolf_c's example of a mercury soaked rag calls my worldview into question. I must therefore engage in a bloody crusade to cleanse the world of all things that challenge my worldview. Waaagh!
    Also, to be fair, I present water adhering to itself much more strongly than it is adhering to the other surface, yet we would still call that surface wet:

15. - Top - End - #45

Also, to be fair, I present water adhering to itself much more strongly than it is adhering to the other surface, yet we would still call that surface wet:[IMG]
    Burn the offending evidence! Wait, it is wet, so it will be hard to burn.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

16. - Top - End - #46

Burn the offending evidence! Wait, it is wet, so it will be hard to burn.
    Nah, it's just on the internet. That should be easier to burn, right?

17. - Top - End - #47

Nah, it's just on the internet. That should be easier to burn, right?
    The internet is mostly made of plastic-encased glass tubes. How well does glass burn?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #48

The internet is mostly made of plastic-encased glass tubes. How well does glass burn?
    It's even easier than that. Especially if it's made in Britain.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

What about a duck’s back? Does it ever get wet?

All numbers are grammatically correct

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
    What about a duck’s back? Does it ever get wet?
    Sure, when they're young ;)

But more back to the original question, with a forum name like yours, you should have the definitive answer ;)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

This may be the most wide-ranging and argumentative threads in so few posts I've every seen!

I'm in awe!

...a more practical question: Brush first, or floss first?

Floss, to get the food particles out of the way so more gets brushed.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    :Floss, to get the food particles out of the way so more gets brushed.
    No no no, you're objectively wrong because my mom taught me to brush first.

(Am I doing Internet arguments right?)
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post

Mostly. You need more capital letters, and I see a very sad dearth of personal insults.

24. - Top - End - #54

Mostly. You need more capital letters, and I see a very sad dearth of personal insults.
    I'm fairly certain she needs fewer capital letters, more spelling errors, and pretty colors!
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2018-05-31 at 03:35 PM.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #55

I'm fairly certain she needs fewer capital letters, more spelling errors, and pretty colors!
    I would expect as much from a PRETENTIOUS FOPDOODLE! BTW, love your avatar. Go Dragons!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

I would expect as much from a PRETENTIOUS FOPDOODLE! BTW, love your avatar. Go Dragons!
    Spoiler: Combination Approach
    Show

+

= Saucy Knave?
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

27. - Top - End - #57

Of all the insults I have received, "Pretentious Fopdoodle" is probably the best.

I love your avatar back. Dragons forever! Also, I think the last 3 people who have posted have dragon avatars.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #58

Of all the insults I have received, "Pretentious Fopdoodle" is probably the best.
    I aim to please.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post

Objectively?

Well I'm convinced.

PRETENTIOUS FOPDOODLE!

I've a lot of history with "2D8HP", but so very tempted to change to "PRETENTIOUS FOPDOODLE!"
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I've a lot of history with "2D8HP", but so very tempted to change to "PRETENTIOUS FOPDOODLE!"
    I hear it gives you an extra hit die.