New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Default Hoard of the Dragon Queen (DM: Tamara) - IC

It's as peaceful a day as any for a traveler in the Greenfields. The sky is clear, and the day is warm, making for an easy journey across the rolling hills of the grassland. You all have your own reasons for your travels, but as you meet other travelers also trekking the Uldon trail you find yourselves traveling with a few more companions than you're used to.

Spoiler: (all) reasons for traveling
    Show
    please only read spoilers relevant to your character
    Spoiler: (Llyena) reasons for traveling
    Show
    The nature spirits spoke to you, speaking that something terrible would happen to greenest if you did not travel there to intervene. After hearing what happened to Thaelia earlier in your travels, you believe it may have something to do with the Cult of the Dragon. You are traveling alongside Thaelia and Bigly, and are already acquainted with them.

Spoiler: (Tarinel) reasons for traveling
    Show
    You heard rumor that the Cult of the Dragon was planning to cause trouble in Greenest. You told the city guard, and left with one of the guardsmen to search the grasslands for any of their camps. You haven't found anything yet, but you still have several more days of searching left. You are returning to the city to report back your (lack of) findings and continue the search in a different direction tomorrow. You have been traveling with Walce, and are already acquanted with him.

Spoiler: (Walce) reasons for traveling
    Show
    The elven ranger Tarinel came to the city guard with a worrying rumor about the Cult of the Dragon planning to do something to Greenest. The captain of the guard chose to send you into the grasslands alongside him to search for any potential camps nearby. You haven't found anything yet, but you still have several more days of searching left. You are returning to the city to report back your (lack of) findings and continue the search in a different direction tomorrow. You have been traveling with Tarinel and are already acquanted with him.

Spoiler: (Bigly) reasons for traveling
    Show
    You met up with Thelia and Llyena on the road one day, and they seemed to have some kind of mystical destiny stuff going on with the Cult of the Dragon. You figure you could make a good song out of that, and maybe get some fame out of it too, so you're traveling alongside them to see where this journey of theirs goes.

Spoiler: (Thaelia) reasons for traveling
    Show
    After hearing from Lyena that she thought something terrible was going to happen to Greenest, you fear that it may be the Cult of the Dragon attacking the town much like they attacked your village. You have been traveling alongside Bigly and lLyena and are already acquainted with them.

Among your group, there are two elves, a half-elf, a halfling, and a goliath.

The first elf is a woman in leather armor with brown hair reaching to her shoulders. She holds herself confidently and appears comfortable out here in the grasslands.

The other elf is a man in leather armor with a bow and quiver strapped across his back. He too holds himself confidently, and moves gracefully as he walks down the path.

The half-elf is a bored-looking man, wearing armor bearing the insignia of the Greenest watch. His gaze continually darts into the hills as if searching for something among them.

The halfling is a jovial looking man, wearing a smile on his face and playing a simple tune on his banjo as he walks. His fiery orange hair gives him a distinctive look and his simple presence seems to lift the mood of those around him.

The goliath is a plainly dressed woman with nothing but a sword on her hip and a pack on her back. She towers over the others, making even the elves look short by comparison.

Soon after meeting up, a conversation begins to spark. You quickly discover that you all share a common destination: Greenest.
    Last edited by tamara2903; 2018-08-04 at 08:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Hoard of the Dragon Queen (DM: Tamara) - IC

Walce keeps a steady lookout as they walk, but participates idly in the conversation. Anything to lessen the boredom of the long walk home I'll admit, I wasn't expecting so much company on the road home. Any of you been to Greenest before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The elven male looks up at the question, a small grimace on his face.

I spent a few years here, when I was much younger. The people of Greenest took my mother and I in when doing so put them at risk. They are worthy of protection.

With that, his eyes return to the horizon, scanning the surroundings for... something.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The elven female snaps out of the trance she was in from studying the wildlife around us.

Oh, no, I've been many places but my wanderings haven't lead me here before.. though I have heard some interesting tales from the...

She winces and looks away, cutting herself off mid-sentence and goes back to studying the greenery.
    Last edited by Nyvia; 2018-08-04 at 08:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

The halfling idly fingers his banjo

I ain't ever been but that just means I'll have some new material to work with when I write my songs

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

The goliath turns back and shrugs.

I'd never heard of it until I met Lleyna.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The half-elf chuckles Well, prepare to be unimpressed. Nothing interesting has happened there since well before I was born. He directs his words to his three newest companions I'm Walce by the way. Walce Firahel. I'm with the local guard. He motions toward the insignia on his armor.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Impressive! Got any good stories you'd like to share? I'm Bigly by the way, I don't remember much before becoming a famous bard but it must not be important.

Bigly pulls out a piece of parchment in the hopes of getting more material for his songs but can't find anything to write with.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarinel looks around at the group, his eyes lingering on each of them for just a moment. "Perhaps we should understand a bit more of the skills each of us brings to the table, so that we can more effectively work as a team. The Cult of the Dragon is a tricky foe, and they bring a unity of purpose to all they do that we will have a difficult time countering if we do not act in concert.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

A fair point. I'm a trained warrior and prefer to fight with precision and swiftness. I've learned how to spot a crook and talk down a few drunks since joining the guard. My father also taught me what he could about magical theory, though I admit I'm not really practiced in its application.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

She laughs and nods along

I use the skills and spells I learnt over the years, and I'm also pretty good at communicating with animals and...other forces, and I know alot about the wilds. I also stab things

She walks along, listening intently to each one of the party

12. - Top - End - #12

Daemon

Spoiler: (Llyena, Tarinel) Passive Perception
    Show
    As you are walking along, you notice smoke rising in the distance around where Greenest would be

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The wood elf suddenly stops in her tracks and points in the direction of some smoke rising in the distance
    Do you see that? Is that not where the town of Greenest is? We should hurry

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Walce follows Llyena's finger and his eyes widen. He takes a barely audible breath in shock and then moves into a run towards Greenrest.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Bigly sprints off after him, banjo on his back and parchment in hand.

Wait for me! I don't want to miss any action!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarinel, sewing the smoke over Greenest, also takes off running. His ground eating stride quickly allows him to outpace the others, except Llyena. As he runs, he thinks of what he intends to do to any Dragon Cultist he runs across...

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Daemon

Tarinel and Llyena, you arrive at Greenest first. The now-setting sun behind you and the many small fires that have been started across the city creating striking shadows that dance around wildly making it difficult to spot anything off of the main paths. You hear a roar, and look up into the sky to see a dragon attacking the keep in the center of the city. As you enter Greenest, it becomes clear that this is a raid from the Cult of the Dragon.

Five humans dash out from between two buildings on your left. A limping man and three young children race across the street into more shadows, and a woman carrying a round shield and a broken spear turns and faces back in the direction from which they came. Seven kobolds stream out of the alley on the family’s heels and fan out around the woman, who looks determined to delay the creatures for as long as possible.

Spoiler: battlemap
    Show
    https://i.imgur.com/vZElfUM.png
    Last edited by tamara2903; 2018-08-13 at 10:03 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Daemon

One of the kobolds (J5) takes a swing at the woman with its dagger, but she dodges out of the way as the dagger scrapes across her shield.

Tarinel, the kobolds seem focused on this woman, giving you an easy opening. It's your turn.

Show
    Last edited by tamara2903; 2018-08-13 at 10:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarinel strings his bow as he slides to a stop. Taking a deep breath, he nocks an arrow and takes careful aim at the closest kobold, making sure the woman is not in his line of fire. He releases the breath at the same time he releases the arrow. He doesn't watch the flight, already turning to find his next target as he begins drawing another arrow...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Longbow: (1d20+6)[11] for (1d8+6)[10] piercing damage.

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Daemon

Tarinel's arrow just misses the Kobold (J6), flying close enough to scratch its skin, but not enough to do any real damage.

A kobold (I5) takes another swing at the woman with its dagger and slashes her leg just below the knee. She cries out in pain and drops to one knee, but still appears determined to stop these creatures.

One of the Kobolds (I7) takes notice of Tarinel and hurls a stone at him with its sling. The stone nearly makes its mark, but hits a padded spot of his armor instead.

Llyena, you spot an opening in the chaos. It's your turn.

Show
    Last edited by tamara2903; 2018-08-13 at 09:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Llyena assesses the situation and fixes her eyes on the kobold straight ahead of her. She quickly raises her arm and casts a Thorn Whip, and a long whip covered in thorns appears and violently lashes out at the Kobold
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thorn Whip for (1d6)[3] and pulled 10 feet
    Last edited by Nyvia; 2018-08-14 at 06:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Daemon

Llyena chants the incantation and points her druidic totem at the kobolds. A long vine-like whip covered in thorns lashes out towards the kobolds ... and becomes lodged in the wall of one of the buildings instead.

The kobold (J6) that Tarinel nicked with his arrow turns around and rushes towards him. The woman that it was previously attacking attempts to take advantage of its back being turned, but the kobold proves swifter than her spear as it quickly runs out of her reach. As it reaches Tarinel, it draws its dagger and lunges at his throat, but as it launches its attack it seems blinded by the setting sun and Tarinel is able to swiftly dodge the blade.

The woman, grievously injured and surrounded by kobolds, braces herself preparing to block any attacks that she can.

unfortunately it is not enough, as the kobold (K5) lunges at her and its dagger meets its mark. The woman collapses to the ground and will clearly die without immediate help.

Another Kobold (J7) rushes forward to Tarinel to make an attack, but trips and falls flat on its face in front of him (G7). Tarinel, make an attack of opportunity!

Show
    https://i.imgur.com/JNjmrz7.png

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the kobold on the ground, Tarinel steps forward and draws his shortsword. He takes the opportunity provided and stabs at the clumsy dragon-kin.

Spoiler: Opportunity Attack
    Show
    Shortsword (1d20+6)[23] for (1d6+6)[7] slashing damage

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Daemon

The kobold proves an easy target as your blade easily separates its head from its shoulders.

One of the kobolds (L6) throws its dagger away, trading it for the fallen woman's spear and begins to root through her pockets as she starts bleeding out onto the cobblestone path.

Walce and Thaelia, you now make it into town as you see this battle unfolding. Roll initiative.

Show
    https://i.imgur.com/MJTav86.png
    Last edited by tamara2903; 2018-08-15 at 09:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarinel arrests the forward motion of his sword, pivots, and slashes across at the other Kobold in front of him.

Spoiler: Shortsword
    Show
    Attack (1d20+6)[10] for (1d6+6)[12] slashing damage.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Daemon

The kobold (G6) gains its wits just in time as it ducks under Tarinel's swing.

another kobold (L5) hurls a stone at Thaelia. She tries to dodge out of the way, but is just a moment too late as the blow connects for 5 bludgeoning damage.

Despite this blow, you are not phased Thaelia. It's your turn.

Show
    https://i.imgur.com/UMR6FGC.png

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Time seems to slow down for Thaelia as she focuses only on her blade and the creature in front of her. She thrusts herself forward at the closest kobold, blade in hand.
    Spoiler: Shortsword
    Show
    (1d20+6)[14]for (1d6+3)[7] piercing damage

28. - Top - End - #28

Daemon

Thaelia's blade easily pierces the creature, and it falls limp to the ground with a sputter.

The Kobold on L7 runs forward (to G7), thrusting its dagger forward at Walce. The armor prevents the blade from going too deep, but it still rips through and cuts the flesh below for 4 piercing damage.

Llyena, the kobolds seem to have shifted focus onto your newly arrived allies, giving you a chance to fight back. It's your turn.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Llyena spots the woman injured through the rabble and raises her hand, and whispers Healing Word as an attempt to save her.

Spoiler: Healing Word
    Show
    (1d4+6)[10]Edit: That should be a 4 not 6, heal for 8
    Last edited by Nyvia; 2018-08-19 at 09:59 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Llyena then fixes her eyes on the Kobold in K5 and mutters the spell Thorn Whip once again, and thorns erupt from the ground and wrap around it
    Spoiler: Thorn Whip
    Show
    (1d20+6)[23](1d6)[1]