New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Jurassic Park movies have a bizarre morality

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think you mean ripped to shreds by like three prehistoric animals.
    I donno, my view is that if it's eating me, it's not really pre-historic. I mean I'm about to be historic, and since the beast seems set on outliving me...
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I donno, my view is that if it's eating me, it's not really pre-historic. I mean I'm about to be historic, and since the beast seems set on outliving me...
    I think you mean ripped to shreds by like three prehistoric animals in a historic event.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Technically they're birds.

4. - Top - End - #184

Actually, if they're talking about the scene I think they are, then the creatures in question actually are reptiles and not proper dinosaurs.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Technically they're birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Actually, if they're talking about the scene I think they are, then the creatures in question actually are reptiles and not proper dinosaurs.
    I think you mean ripped to shreds by like three prehistoric animals that are technically birds unless the scene in question is about different animals that actually are reptiles and not proper dinosaurs in a historic event.

6. - Top - End - #186

She was ripped to shreds by three creatures who are clearly stand ins for the director who didn't like that she got along better with his dog that he did.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think you mean ripped to shreds by like three prehistoric animals that are technically birds unless the scene in question is about different animals that actually are reptiles and not proper dinosaurs in a historic event.
    Pterosaurs are definitely not birds, and also not dinosaurs. They are reptiles, though. The Mosasaurus is also a reptile but not a dinosaur (and it's not a fish or anything silly like that).

Zara's (that's her name, guys) death was horrifying. But at least the Mosasaurus ended the torturous part. The Mosasaurus was the real hero of Jurassic World, btw, what with finally eating the I-Rex at the end. Happily, we'll see more Mosasaurus adventures in the next movie, as it goes surfing (and we'll follow more of Rexy's adventures as she roars at a lion and does other less interesting things).
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Pterosaurs are definitely not birds, and also not dinosaurs. They are reptiles, though.
    Even that's debatable. Reptiles are not a neat cladistic group because birds are excluded, so they make most sense as a descriptive group based on certain traits, like cold bloodedness. And there are some doubts as to which extent most archosaurs even fit that mold. But they are diapsids and they are archosaurs.

(Also: everything in the whole franchise could have been prevented by measures normal zoos have. Moats, walls, people sized doors, and if you absolutely have to run everything not only on electricity but on a computer system rather than using moats and walls, maybe a backup generator. So they had to hand out some failure balls to make any dinosaur attacks possible.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-06-08 at 03:43 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Also normal zoos don't tend to intentionally engineer bioweapons under the guise of entertainment. That's really where JW went wrong.
    Now with half the calories!

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Also normal zoos don't tend to intentionally engineer bioweapons under the guise of entertainment. That's really where JW went wrong.
    You clearly haven't been to zoos recently.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Richelieu is trying to defend France from the power of England's prime minister Buckingham.
    In the novel, Richelieu is barely even a villain. He's at best a designated antagonist. It starts out with D'Artagnan being told "Cardinal Richelieu's the man; you should do what he tells you" and ends with him appreciating that that advice was basically accurate. But in the middle he gets caught up in stuff he doesn't understand and falls in with a crowd who dislike the Cardinal on the grounds of little more than most football rivalries.

There is a film version which reflects this (the Michael Yorke version, I think). Somewhat surprisingly Dogtanian, of all adaptations, had a reasonable stab at it later in its run. But most films can't cope with that level of complexity and just make the Cardinal an outright villain.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #192

If there's an outright villain in the 3 Musketeers, it's Lady de Winter. It's just that most producers don't have the imagination for a female main villain.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    That's true. But even that one wouldn't have gone anywhere if their response to a dinosaur seemingly missing from its enclosure wouldn't have been to open up the dinosaur sized gate build for the express purpose of letting the dinosaur in and out. Or, you know, if the zookeepers would have been told that the species was designed to camouflage itself. Or even if anyone had payed attention to how intelligent the creature seemed. It's (not counting the Indominus itself, because the cloning science was always the science fiction element of the movies) more believable than the first movie (still a great film, but the message is rubbish because their "inevitable" disaster from messing with life was super preventable) but it's still not a great situation, and I would still super fire the person who designed those protocols.

No, if anything we would all die from ancient viruses preserved in the dino DNA, or even just parts of it that were incorporated by modern viruses. That's at least sort of feasible. We're way too good at dealing with large animals. We've been hunting tyrannosaurus sized creatures to extinction since at least the last ice age.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-06-09 at 03:41 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    That's true. But even that one wouldn't have gone anywhere if their response to a dinosaur seemingly missing from its enclosure wouldn't have been to open up the dinosaur sized gate build for the express purpose of letting the dinosaur in and out.
    That wasn't the "official" response, mind. That only happened because people (somewhat inexplicably, but through a human-sized door) went into the paddock to have a look around and found themselves trapped, then panicked and opened the main door to get out. HQ ordered the door closed almost immediately but by then it was too late.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    In the novel, Richelieu is barely even a villain. He's at best a designated antagonist. It starts out with D'Artagnan being told "Cardinal Richelieu's the man; you should do what he tells you" and ends with him appreciating that that advice was basically accurate. But in the middle he gets caught up in stuff he doesn't understand and falls in with a crowd who dislike the Cardinal on the grounds of little more than most football rivalries.

There is a film version which reflects this (the Michael Yorke version, I think). Somewhat surprisingly Dogtanian, of all adaptations, had a reasonable stab at it later in its run. But most films can't cope with that level of complexity and just make the Cardinal an outright villain.
    In the Michael Yorke version Richelieu, magnificently played by Charlton Heston, is clearly doing his best to defend France while it has an idiot on the throne. The plot to disgrace the Queen will destroy the Queen's influence but considering she's lovers with France's arch-enemy Buckingham this always seemed a good idea to me.
    D'artagnan even comments that Buckingham is his natural enemy ( to Buckingham's face to his credit) and he's only doing this at the request of his lover who is one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting. But she is Sophia Loren so you can kinda forgive him for working with one of his countries greatest enemies
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2018-06-09 at 09:25 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Awesome

ETA:
    Pterosaurs are definitely not birds, and also not dinosaurs. They are reptiles, though. The Mosasaurus is also a reptile but not a dinosaur (and it's not a fish or anything silly like that).

Zara's (that's her name, guys) death was horrifying. But at least the Mosasaurus ended the torturous part. The Mosasaurus was the real hero of Jurassic World, btw, what with finally eating the I-Rex at the end. Happily, we'll see more Mosasaurus adventures in the next movie, as it goes surfing (and we'll follow more of Rexy's adventures as she roars at a lion and does other less interesting things).
    I completely forgot about that one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1XF...ZqU2l&index=35
    It gives a pretty reasonable explanation why poor Zara character had to die.
    Last edited by Mightymosy; 2018-06-09 at 11:45 AM.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post

"We made them larger, more aggressive, and carnivorous"
    "Why would you do that?"
    "...Because I'm a scientist. It's what we do!"

(Bonus points to place the quote).
    Clue one: Dina Meyer.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    D'artagnan even comments that Buckingham is his natural enemy ( to Buckingham's face to his credit) and he's only doing this at the request of his lover who is one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting. But she is Sophia Loren so you can kinda forgive him for working with one of his countries greatest enemies
    Wrong sex symbol. It was Raquel Welch.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Yep. You're right. D'Oh
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    So, appearantly some ladies had fun wearing the Leia outfit
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000079/
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler: JW:Fallen Kingdom spoiler
    Show

Ah no, no we are not.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Or, you know, if the zookeepers would have been told that the species was designed to camouflage itself.
    This was really a grade-A balls-up across the board. Aside from the fact that it might be worthwhile to inform the people watching for escaping dinosaurs, not to panic when the IR seems to suddenly vanish, the ability to fundamentally turn invisible is an absolutely god awful trait to grant to a creature that’s intended to be the next main exhibit.

Granted that the military-grade enhancements of the IR were deliberately being kept quiet from the JW staff, but you would have thought they would have kept one eye on making sure it still fulfilled its role as an exhibit (since otherwise its going to raise questions along the lines of “why did you create a giant invisible monster that none of our patrons can actually see most of the time?” that might flag up to the JW staff that something is going on they aren’t being told about).

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

To be honest it sounded like the designer was as surprised as anyone else that the I-Rex could do that.

24. - Top - End - #204

IIRC, they gave it cuttlefish DNA in an attempt to speed up it's growth to full maturity and were surprised that it came out with camo, let alone camo better than the animal it got it from.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #205

PirateGuy

IIRC, they gave it cuttlefish DNA in an attempt to speed up it's growth to full maturity and were surprised that it came out with camo, let alone camo better than the animal it got it from.
    If only they'd read the first book they'd have learned that's exactly how fictional DNA splicing works.
    Now with half the calories!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

What's more ridiculous is that they then subsequently did not put the I-Rex down as a hatchling. Cloning is a messy process with a low success rate (in the Dolly the Sheep method commonly used now, it's something like 1-10% viability chance). It's going to spit out all sorts of weirdness. The point was even made explicitly in The Lost World novel.

'Hey, this thing's got chromatophores all over its skin' is something you'd notice very shortly after birth. The natural response to that as an unplanned outcome involves an injection, skinning, and a whole lot of extra DNA analysis, not letting the thing grown to adulthood; a process that, cuttlefish DNA or not, surely took years, which ought to have revealed the animal as a problem specimen to be euthanized much earlier.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

27. - Top - End - #207

Looking some stuff up and reviewing, apparently, Wu and Hoskins mistreated the Indominus on purpose expecting it to get loose and rampage.

Either as a demonstration of the Indominus' use as a terror weapon or else to demonstrate the effectiveness of trained raptors.

So making the Indominus was still stupid and impractical, but at least it's stupid and impractical in a logical way.

Also, even if they hadn't been deliberately making a monster and releasing it as a terror weapon, people might be hesitant to put down a live animal that they presumably spent millions* at the least to bring into the world, even for completely practical reasons.

*In EU materials, it's mentioned that the Embryos that Nedry stole were worst between 2 and 10 million USD a pop. Adjust for almost two decades of inflation, factor in that a hybrid like the Indominus is going to require multiple fossil samples and more advanced splicing technique... So yeah, Dodgson did cheap out offering him a million to steal a couple, and being underpaid was what made Nedry willing to shut down the park and steal the embryos in the first place, so Irony.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

people might be hesitant to put down a live animal that they presumably spent millions* at the least to bring into the world, even for completely practical reasons.
    40 millions. It's mentioned specifically as to why not bringing out the big guns right at the start.

It would seem the margins of the park are slim enough that tanking 40 million is gonna hurt. Which I guess is also ironic. They are not making money hand over fist as the Lawyer in JP1 predicted.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2018-06-12 at 03:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Hell.

Even if they could afford iit easily... 40 million is a lot.

40 million is probably several years worth of salary for the highest paid employees of the park. Hell, it's probably several years salary for the combined investors
    Even if you can afford it easily...

I don't care if you make several billion dollars a year, you're not gonna flush 40 million down the toilet.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hell.

Even if they could afford iit easily... 40 million is a lot.

40 million is probably several years worth of salary for the highest paid employees of the park. Hell, it's probably several years salary for the combined investors
    Even if you can afford it easily...

I don't care if you make several billion dollars a year, you're not gonna flush 40 million down the toilet.
    40 million is a lot. To those who do not have 40 million.

Actually the highest paid employee at the park would have been Claire (director or CEO or some such), and I wouldn't be surpised if she earned 40 million a year on her own. Then again she's a woman so I guess would only get 20. Interestingly though they are trying to sell the naming rights to some phonecompany. They also talk about mundanity of a dinopark and falling visitor numbers. So it's not such a smash hit as it once was. Which I thought was an intresting point made in JW1

You aren't an investor in JW if 40 million represents a lot of money. And if you are, get a better financial planner.

However what we should put that 40 million up against is this: How much money is an indemnity lawsuit gonna cost the park?
    JP1 tells us it is enough that the first movie happened. And that's just some noname worker.

Obviously they weren't expecting all of this to happen. But they have a point where they could try and kill the I Rex more easily but decide against it cause 40 million. Bad call. Obviously park was doomed anyway we find out later.