New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Spectral Hands and Class Features

Hello great minds of DnD! I saw a post on another site talking about using spectral hand with charnel touch (dread necromancer). This was interesting to me as I have a paladin of tyranny and was thinking of taking a few levels of battle sorcerer for the buffs (and his cha is 22). I immediately thought about using spectral hand with deadly touch as it seemed from the other posts that you can use it with class feature (charnel touch). However, upon reading the spell (spectral hand) it refers to being used with spells of 4th level or lower. It seems to me that it could not work with class feature (supernatural, spell-like, etc). However, the writer seemed pretty convinced it would (handbook build for dread necromancer). Am I missing something that allows it to work?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Spectral Hands and Class Features

Indeed you are missing something that would allow it to work with Charnel Touch:
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroes of Horror
    Charnel Touch (Su)...
    A dread necromancer can use the spectral hand spell to deliver this attack from a distance.
    Otherwise, in general terms, you're correct.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-06-04 at 05:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Spectral Hands and Class Features

This would be an "ask your DM" scenario. The Dread Necromancer class feature specifically states that it works with Spectral Hand, whereas any class that gets touch attacks as a class feature isn't going to mention it on their page unless the spell is on your spell list.
    Since a Paladin does not natively grant the spell, by RAW you don't get to combine the two.
    By RAI it is not unreasonable at least at first. Since you're still expending a more or less spell-equivalent resource.
    The problem might come from the fact that if you are charisma focused, Touch can scale faster than spells do. By tenth level or so you're reliably doing more damage than a 4th level spell. As a DM I might allow you to use the two together but put a cap on how much damage you can deal with one use of it through the Hand.
    Or you could just walk up and touch them yourself. You have all that heavy armor for a reason.