New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Tongue Splitting

Tongue splitting is a body modification where the front part of the tongue is surgically split. With a bit of practice, a person can learn to control both sides of the tongue independently.

What do the people here think about it?
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Tongue Splitting

If this allows the person to say two things at the same time, I'm all for it.

Otherwise it just looks weird.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    Tongue splitting is a body modification where the front part of the tongue is surgically split. With a bit of practice, a person can learn to control both sides of the tongue independently.

What do the people here think about it?
    I'll sum up my thoughts in a single word.

Why?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like a fad from the late 1980's/early '90's ("Modern Primitives" et cetera).

I'm suprised it continues, but I suppose it's a big world and somewhere someone is doing most anything.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not into body modification personally (tattoos as an art form appeal, but I don't actually have any, let alone piercings, let alone tongue splitting), but it's been a part of human behavior for approximately forever, and this particular one seems harmless enough. It should be relatively reversible, and while it's a bit more extreme than most ear piercings (though not big gauges) it's not exactly foot binding.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

My opinion on body modifications of all kinds is "GAAAAAAH! WHHHHYYYYY! PUT THAT AWAY!". I find it painful and a bit nauseating to even look at a picture of a split tongue. Piercings, really, aren't much better, but I got at least used to seeing them. I also find tattoos both weird and a bit disgusting. Like, people stick needles in their skin and then pump it full of paint. Why would you even do that.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The thing I don't personally understand about tattoos is that, while the concept is cool, it looks like it would get boring real fast. I can't think of the deepest word, picture or reference in the world that wouldn't turn cheesy or boring after just a month, let alone a year.

Now, if they could be changed instantly like something out of a cyberpunk setting, that'd be actually pretty cool.

Though then there would be lots of tattoo ads, realistically. Hmph. Cyberpunk settings find a way to ruin everything.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

This is a lot of dedication for a lizardfolk cosplay.
    I can respect that.

AlsoI would guess everything tastes weird after that.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-06-06 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There is always a subset of people who are into body modifications. I find it pretty gross, but I assume that my natural ick factor is switched for people who like gauges/facial piercings/split tongues/tattoos and scars.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have pierced ears, but this feels like a whole different level of harm.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Honestly, I don't find it any more weird than gauges, prince alberts, subdermal implants etc.

I know/knew a couple people who had this and frankly it always just struck me as a party trick/attention getter for people who needed affirmation/self affirmation of a particular kind of identity.

Now that could have just been the raver crew I hung with but really it just seemed kinda try-hard

Also none of the people I knew with this were nice people so I may have negative connotations with it from that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Could be worse. I saw a book on body mutilation once that had an entire section dedicated to men who had split a certain .... other... appendage.

WHY?!? In the name of Zeus's butthole, WHY?!?

Don't get me wrong. I support the right of a mentally competent, fully informed adult to do that to themselves. But WHY would you WANT TO?!?
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'm agreeing with the WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!s. Then again I can get that way about 'normal' body modifications like piercings and tatoos.

You're not an Epideromancer, and so don't need this to get your charges. And unlike implanting rare earth magnets in your fingers there's no practical benefits (not that I'm doing that one either, I have enough problems with normal needles).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

My only objection to it would be a personal one, which is that I am strongly opposed to having any part of my body messed with on purpose unless absolutely necessary. You just never know what might go wrong.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TwoLegsArmchair View Post
    My only objection to it would be a personal one, which is that I am strongly opposed to having any part of my body messed with on purpose unless absolutely necessary. You just never know what might go wrong.
    Case in point....

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It's not really my thing, but as said by tomandtish, as long as they are fully informed adults, it's their body and they can mutilate it like they please. As long as it's a voluntary thing and it's not forced.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ew. Ew ew ew ew.

Just EW.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know, it might be kinda funny to kiss someone with a split tongue ones.

Aside from that little giggle it doesn't really do anything for me.

Plus, you know, if I wanted to get cosmetic surgery I'd have better places to start. And I'm not doing any of those things either.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I can see certain bedroom benefits that I won't get into because of the rules. Suffice to say a split tongue may allow some benefits to your partner if you use it well.

I dunno. I probably wouldn't split my tongue, but only probably. I can't say I've seen someone and felt they were less attractive upon seeing that their tongue was split (nor do I understand the visceral horror some here seem to feel about any form of body mod - honestly, I think the only people I've ever encountered to be that grossed out by all forms of body modification have been here).
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I can see certain bedroom benefits that I won't get into because of the rules. Suffice to say a split tongue may allow some benefits to your partner if you use it well.

I dunno. I probably wouldn't split my tongue, but only probably. I can't say I've seen someone and felt they were less attractive upon seeing that their tongue was split
    Well of course you would be the most receptive to tongue-splitting. You're a linguist.

What's that? Linguists are interested in a meaning of "tongue" different from the two mentioned here?
    (nor do I understand the visceral horror some here seem to feel about any form of body mod - honestly, I think the only people I've ever encountered to be that grossed out by all forms of body modification have been here).
    Some people just can't stand needles, or the idea of injecting poison into a person.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I dunno. I probably wouldn't split my tongue, but only probably. I can't say I've seen someone and felt they were less attractive upon seeing that their tongue was split (nor do I understand the visceral horror some here seem to feel about any form of body mod - honestly, I think the only people I've ever encountered to be that grossed out by all forms of body modification have been here).
    I think people who see body modification and recoil are people with a lot of physical empathy, and imagine it being done without anesthetics to them whenever they see it. I can't watch anything involving human eyes without recoil in horror for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

(nor do I understand the visceral horror some here seem to feel about any form of body mod - honestly, I think the only people I've ever encountered to be that grossed out by all forms of body modification have been here).
    As an autistic person, one of my hyperaware senses is touch, which normally isn't a problem (not a lot of touching over here in repressionland), but does cause me to dislike needles (it's literally the only reason I've never given blood, needles sting). Which is why I'll never get a tattoo, it's a needle going into you repeatedly so you can get ink in you skin.

For other stuff I can understand modifications with a practical benefit done under anesthetic. But once either of those are out, what's the point?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    For other stuff I can understand modifications with a practical benefit done under anesthetic. But once either of those are out, what's the point?
    Traditional forms of body mutilation are wealth signifier: you are so rich you can 1) afford to get it done (or more commonly, afford to have a wife who had it done) 2) do so because it will tell anyone that sees that you are rich enough to get it done and 3) in some extreme cases you are so rich you can afford to permanently cripple your (or rather, their) ability to perform certain forms of labor.

Think foot binding in China ("I'm so rich my wife will never need to walk, we have servants for that"), the Kayan neck stretching, but also western medieval preference for wives with no practical skills, etc. It is hard to say if these can be considered voluntary mutilations, though (foot binding definitely wasn't, I'm not familiar enough with Kayan society to say how much girls are compelled to follow the tradition).

Many forms of tattooing are also social signifier - not unlike being given the right to wear sword in public or a specific number of pips on the shoulder of your clothing (outside of a military context), it told other members of the society what your social rank was even when they didn't know you personally. Again, I'm not qualified to comment on how voluntary these mutilations are.

So circling back to the original topic, the point is to transmit an impression of the individual even to those that don't know them. In this case, "I am the kind of person capable and willing to split my tongue". What social impact that has is hard to predict, not being a common mutilation at this time, but it would certainly signify something to most people that encountered it.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-06-26 at 08:56 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    As an autistic person, one of my hyperaware senses is touch, which normally isn't a problem (not a lot of touching over here in repressionland), but does cause me to dislike needles (it's literally the only reason I've never given blood, needles sting). Which is why I'll never get a tattoo, it's a needle going into you repeatedly so you can get ink in you skin.

Well the thing is that for a person getting a tattoo there is a practical benefit. That's the catch. If I get a tattoo it signals all kinds of things about me to others, that can certainly be a practical benefit. I can appreciate the artistry there, and that artistry would be difficult to take from me.

I mean a woman who gets her ears pierced is going to have a practical benefit in that there are more ways that she can enhance her appearance. She has more options for accessories, and can demonstrate her wealth or creativity or good taste to a wider audience (the same holds true for men getting their ears pierced, but that has a lot of other social baggage associated with it).
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I support the right of a mentally competent, fully informed adult to do that to themselves. But WHY would you WANT TO?!?
    Question: Can you do this and still be considered mentally competent? In all my training, mutilating a functioning part of your body is one of the biggest red flags for mental illness.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Question: Can you do this and still be considered mentally competent? In all my training, mutilating a functioning part of your body is one of the biggest red flags for mental illness.
    is it mutilated if it still functions? For some bedroom application it is probably considered an improvement (the promise/thought of which was certainly part of those I knew reason's for doing so-even if it mostly a seduction tool/peacocking)

and an earlobe that is pierced is not be considered mutilated even if one does so with a potato? How about a pierced tongue?

where is that line and who gets to draw that line?

as is forming an identity in part defined by being trangressive being mentally ill?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

What signal does putting a grommet in one’s earlobe send? Everday I see folks who have done so, and just can not fathom why.

All numbers are grammatically correct

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
    What signal does putting a grommet in one’s earlobe send? Everday I see folks who have done so, and just can not fathom why.
    It says something in their own particular subculture. A lot of these kind of symbols are not General cultural things but rather kind of Niche subculture things.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I should be clear. 99% of body piercing, etc. doesn't bother me. Want gauges in your ears? Bars in your nipples? More power to you. Not something I'm personally interested in or find attractive, but more power to you.

Tattoos in general don't bother me. I question the concept of fully tattooing your face, but from a "You realize you're stuck with that" point of view, not a "the horror" POV.

The things that freak me out are the major body alterations that 1) Stand a chance of disabling a body part AND 2) have little to no chance of being reversed.

Tattoo your eyeballs? Risking blindness? No thanks.

Split a certain male appendage? And risk there being some form of dis-function? And then I also imagine the pain involved in the healing process. I may be overestimating it, but my mind still shuts down at the thought.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    is it mutilated if it still functions? For some bedroom application it is probably considered an improvement (the promise/thought of which was certainly part of those I knew reason's for doing so-even if it mostly a seduction tool/peacocking)

and an earlobe that is pierced is not be considered mutilated even if one does so with a potato? How about a pierced tongue?

where is that line and who gets to draw that line?

as is forming an identity in part defined by being trangressive being mentally ill?
    The gray area between eccentric and crazy has always been difficult to define; which is one reason mental illness in teens often goes untreated until it's severe.

However, most of society knows appropriate and inappropriate when we see it. A teen may not do alot of damage when they cut themselves, but the fact that they're doing it at all tells you there is a real problem.

Someone who cuts off their finger because they identify with Frodo is the very definition of insanity, even if the hand still functions. If you see crazy behaviour, call it for what it is.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett