New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default The Yuan-Ti War [IC]

This is the In-Character thread for The Yuan-Ti War Campaign. More to come once all characters have been finalized.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-09-16 at 07:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: The Yuan-Ti War [IC]

You've all completed your basic training at Seven Paths Academy for Adventurers, and you're now on your way to the headquarters of the Enkiduan Army for your first assignment, riding a coach through the capital city.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-09-16 at 08:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nrin sits low into the coach seat, his left shoulder against the window ledge.

A small quill scribles directions within a leather bound journal in Northron Runes. Each turn and street is recorded, including visible markers of shops and tavern. The runic shorthand proceeds sharply across the pages at a very brisk pace.

The right page of each passage is reserved and recording the known associates riding with him. Every so often the passengers are casually observed and a sketch of the student made upon the upper right page. Runes record any information Nrin can obtain about their skills, traits and affiliations.

The journal bindings are latched by a small steel chain trailing back to Nrin's belt. On the opposite hip hangs a light crossbow outlined lightly by the soft grey cloak draping over his frame. The wide cloak drapes from loosely past his knees to his shoulders and the attached hood over much of his head.
    Last edited by Benejeseret; 2007-09-16 at 10:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eberek sits back, letting the coach ride the wagon to the city. This dwarf is, like most, stubby and a rather quiet. His combat gear -except his shortbow- seems old and that has seen plenty of combat, but his axe still looks sharp and his armor and wooden shield looks sturdy enough to retain blows. He keeps to himself, analizing his axe and observing the edge, looking at any flaws.

He looks at the other fellow adventurers and feels rather distant to them, but maybe in battle they won't be so different, thinks Eberek.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

You arrive at Army HQ. A dwarf wearing a major's rank tabs greets you.

You're the new Special Forces team from Seven Paths, correct?

6. - Top - End - #6

Ya' Sir

Nirn salutes from the window as the the practiced Schormein accent flows easily. He then jumps down from the carriage with a pause to grab up his backpack.

This be the lot of us we know of
    Last edited by Benejeseret; 2007-09-17 at 05:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Well, I ain't a member of the Seven Paths, to be honest, lad says Eberek, sheathing his axe But father Meinar, an old cleric of Bella gave the chance to prove myself as a worthy dwarf, sir.
    Last edited by ArqArturo; 2007-09-19 at 12:43 AM.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The major nods his understanding. Well, if you'll just follow me, I'll take you to your mission briefing.

9. - Top - End - #9

Very well, then says Eberek, as he gets down from the wagon.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Right then Major.

Face falls in behind the major while casually trying to get a sense of their surroundings.

Say Major, are you able to give us a sense a what we'll be seeing inside? Like ta know what we're heading for...and who.

And on that, I didn't catch yer name.

((Gather information check of 12 -
    http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1281127))

11. - Top - End - #11

As Eberek walks along side the Warforged and the other dwarf, Eberek watches the place and stretches his neck a bit So when's our first mission gonna start? asks Eberek, touching the hilt of his axe 'cause I'm ready to prove my mettle right now, lad.
    Last edited by ArqArturo; 2007-09-23 at 10:57 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

I'm Major Eisenhammer, and I'm taking you to meet General Streifer. He'll give you the details of your mission. It'll start very soon, that much I can tell you.

13. - Top - End - #13

Eberek's face changes from dour and serious into a wide smile Good, 'cause I've been bored out of my beard for hours now, lad. He accomodates his belt a bit and looks around So, before this mission, can we at least partake with something to eat? I'm getting tired of beef jerky and water all day, not to mention the dried fruit, bleugh.
    Last edited by ArqArturo; 2007-09-25 at 06:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gutrog

The tall well muscled orc walked silently with the others. He only nodded to the Major's question if they where from the academy. Gutrog was clad in a weather worn chainshirt and tradititional loose fitting desert clothing of the Orc tribes. The sword he carries looks used but is in good shape as is his spiked shield.
    Current avatar made by Kpenguin , more cool avatars in my spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

((Guess you guys are waiting for me, eh?))

Eisenhammer nods. You'll definitely have opportunity for real food before you depart. I agree, the rations can be tiring, but at least they're filling and healthy, which is the most important thing. He comes to a door. Here we are. He opens the door and motions you inside.

Inside the room, a human wearing an army uniform and a Brigadier General's rank insigniae is seated at one end of a table. A beautiful, white-robed elven cleric of Maia sits at his left hand. They look up as Eisenhammer opens the door.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-10-02 at 11:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gutrog

Gutrog looks at the elf and sees what his people could had been. He shrugs the thought and is proud of being an Orc from the Desert.

He walks in with confidence and salutes(as they where taught in the Acedemy) the General.
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

17. - Top - End - #17

Face comes to attention beside Gutrog.

"General Streifer, M'lady of the Gentle Mother,"
    a quick salute addresses the General while the cleric receives bow in reverence, "You called upon us?"

((During his bow while his gaze is downward, Face takes the opportunity to scan the table and spot/quickly read documents or the like if present.

Spot roll 10
    http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1297497))

18. - Top - End - #18

Eberek walks in last, sees the human and the elf, and simply nods to both of them.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

There are no papers that Face can read on the table, although the General does have a stack in front of him.

Yes, come in, and sit down, the General says, waving to the other chairs at the table. This is Initiate Hanae. She's going to be providing you with healing and general support. She's a noncombatant, though, so don't expect her to do any fighting. Streifer introduces the elf, who smiles at them. Initiate Hanae, this is Face, Gutrog, and Eberek.

It's a pleasure to meet you, and there's no need for you to be so formal, she says, as Major Eisenhammer comes in after Eberek and closes the door behind them.

Now that we've gotten the introductions out of the way, I'll tell you what your first mission is going to be.

Now, as you no doubt already know, last year the Yuan-ti forced us off the eastern peninsula, and we've spent most of this year recovering from that defeat, while they've been busy consolidating their conquests.

They know that we are eventually going to come back and try to push back, so they're constructing fortifications and artillery positions all along the coast, including one...
    He slides a map onto the table, right here, at the place where the Crookt Mountain Range juts out into the Straits of Enkidu. That's where we're sending you.

Your job will be to disrupt the supplies headed for that artillery position, so that it will be weakened when the time comes for our invasion.

I won't lie to you; this is a very dangerous mission. There will be no way for you to contact us if you get in trouble; you will receive little, if any, support from headquarters once you have been put in place. Ultimately, you are expendable; we won't waste men to get you out of a pickle should you get yourselves into one, so make sure you don't get into one. Do I make myself clear?
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-10-08 at 10:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Face scans the map, his analytical computational matrix silently swirling behind glass eyes.

A single supply convoy or a more permanent blockage such as destoying bridges and mountain trails? The more we disrupt roadways and the like, the slower our own troops can move once they arrive.

Face opens his journal and begins scribbling down quick map sketches, ideas, and details once again in the Northron Runes. He snaps to a new page and fires three more questions towards Streifer.

Are we arriving by land or sea, and more importantly how do we retract ourselves?

Is there any intel of who is moving these supplies...Yuan-Ti themselves, slaves, allied enemy races?

Are any additional supplies or provisions available to us?

As he awaits the answers with quill in hand, he glances numerous times toward the vibrant elf. He offers a smile in her direction to attempt and hide his unease at her presence. Face once again focuses on the General.
    Last edited by Benejeseret; 2007-10-08 at 09:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

((here's the map. Just imagine that it says "The Principality" instead of "The Province"))

((I'll wait for the others to post before responding IC, Ben. Hope you don't mind.))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gutrog

Gutrog nods, knowing that few plans survive the touch of reality. He studies the maps, but he ain't the brightest or fastest thinker around. He was propably chosen for this mission to support the others.
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

23. - Top - End - #23

Eberek glances at the map while he listens to the other companions opinions. He looks rather bored and continues to tap his fingers at the table.

Finally, he looks up to the general and clears his throat I hafta agree with me comrade in arms, sir. says Eberek the more debris we leave behind, the harder the move. But still, how much time do you think we have before the supplies reach the place?.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I see that I didn't make myself entirely clear. This is a long-term mission. We're not going to be ready to invade for at least another season. Besides the obvious goal of weakening this particular fortification, we're trying to keep the Yuan-ti on their toes, make them worry about their interior. You're to hit any convoy you can without unduly jeopardizing the mission. There are currently no plans for your extraction, and we expect you to make sure they know at least one of their convoys was taken out by our forces. We want them looking over their shoulders, gentlemen. We want them to keep more forces covering their supply lines, so they have less opposition on the beaches when the invasion force lands.

As for how you'll be inserted, we have a teleportation circle set up that will take you to the general area. Youll have at least a nineday to scout the area and select a base of operations; I'm told the area has a lot of caves, so that shouldn't be too difficult.

You're authorized to use whatever means you can to keep supplies from getting to the base, with the provision that they know we're responsible for at least some of their losses.

You'll be able to take along some munitions, in case you want to set up a landslide or something similar, and some extra food and other supplies, but we expect that you'll be able to sustain yourselves on what you can capture from the enemy's supply train.

This time, have I made myself clear?

25. - Top - End - #25

Y'Sir

Face slowly closes the journal. It seems there is little use for notes and questions at this point. (internal thoughts: They do not have more details. Details take time, take resources....and they have only scheduled us for a one way trip. Personal note, record everything - their spy networks are clearly lacking.)

With his quick assessments lingering through his thought processors, Face turns to his peers.

Seems clear enough eh?

If this is all then I believe, Major Eisenhammer, you promised Eberek here some food.

Face turn round again to the table.

Would ya accompany us M'lady?
    Last edited by Benejeseret; 2007-10-11 at 07:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gutrog

Gutrog nods that he understood

Atleast this will prove their worth when they survive.
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

27. - Top - End - #27

Seems clearer now, sir. says Eberek.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Good. He stands up. I know I said you're expendable, and ultimately, you are, but I personally would much rather have you play this smart and survive to be of further use to us. He offers to shake their hands.

Yes, thank you. And I told you not to be so formal, Hanae gets up, smiling.

Major, show them the way to the mess, would you?

((Is Hanae's speech too hard to read for you guys?))

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gutrog

Gutrog nods and waits for the Major to lead them to the mess.
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

30. - Top - End - #30

Ah, finally! says Eberek as he walks along with them to the mess hall, he looks at Gutrog and raises his left bushy eyebrow tell me lad says Eberek Why so quiet?.

Spoiler
    Show