New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Captain America gestalt build help

While i have seen multiple builds for this character they all have levels in TOB classes, which are not available to me in this game. like the topic says this game is gestalt and so i was thinking fighter for one side for the entire build. i don't know enough about 3.5 to suggest classes, feats, magic items and such, to make this this work. i ran across the shield sling feat in PHB2 and thought it would do just fine but in looking for other builds so many of them say that it is not the way to go. there is a magic item that allows you to throw items and they have the returning property on them so that could be my next step.

any suggestions for a non-TOB Captain America?

Edit: not looking to be really close to the original, but i want someone who can throw a shield have it return and fight unarmed preferably in mithral armor of all sorts.
    Last edited by LordWolfKnight; 2018-06-13 at 10:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Captain America gestalt build help

Quote Originally Posted by LordWolfKnight View Post
    any suggestions for a non-TOB Captain America?
    Huh. No ToB. Well... the issue with that is not that you lose access to Warblade/Crusader or the various shield-related maneuvers. There are a few things in ToB that would be important for a Captain America build that don't necessarily involve maneuvers:

1) Bloodstorm Blade. In particular, Thunderous Throw and Lightning Ricochet. Thunderous Throw allows you to treat your thrown weapon attacks as if they were melee, so you can add Power Attack and other related feats to your throws. Lightning Ricochet brings your thrown weapon back to your hand *after every throw*, which is an improvement over the whole Throwing/Returning properties.

2) Superior Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick. The first feat gives you unarmed damage that scales up by character level. The second gives you an extra unarmed attack whenever you'd get at least one attack. While these aren't necessarily make-or-break feats that make unarmed combat viable, they do at least make it more interesting.

Ok. So, that being said... without ToB... hmm... I'd try something like:

Fighter 20//Monk 6/Marshall 4/Kensai 10

The Fighter levels give you plenty of feats for Shield Charge/Shield Slam/Shield Sling, the Weapon Specialization/Melee Weapon Mastery/Weapon Supremacy line, Ubercharger stuff, maybe some Combat Focus stuff. I'd also look at fitting in Agile Shield Fighter and TWF/ITWF/GTWF, since the -2 primary/-2 offhand penalties *replace* the typical TWF penalties, although you might want to check with the DM if that applies to ITWF/GTWF penalties as well. Monk gets you some unarmed damage, Evasion, Wis/Int to AC, and a little movement increase. Marshall gets you Diplomacy stuff, grant a move action, couple minor auras and a major aura. Kensai 10 allows you to enchant your shield so it does Cool Stuff.

In place of Thunderous Throw, you can use Power Throw (Complete Adventurer), although it isn't quite the same as Power Attack: no two-handed multiplier, and doesn't exactly work with Shock Trooper.

The Ranged property (+1 enhancement, MIC) is essentially Throwing + Returning just for shields, and works the same way: you get it back at the beginning of your next turn. If you need it back sooner, you can add a Lesser Crystal of Return (1000 GP, MIC) to get it back as a move action.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

so i had this build that had a bunch of things combined to be awesome at unarmed strike, at shields, had divine casting, full bab, but then I closed the tab on accident when i went to update the build a bit more. remember to always type up full builds in a word document or something.

Anyways cliffnotes because i'm not typing the whole thing up again:
    Fighter/monk/pally and a psychic warrior level
    had 2 levels of ardent fist, a bunch of levels in fist of zouken
    used spontaneous cloistered cleric, ordained champion, and the feats: Improved Trip, Awesome Smite, and Shield Charge
    used deadgrim and sacred exorcist to advance turning and casting

Basic premise was that you would charge in with shield charge, if you hit something you got a free trip attempt, if you succeeded you got a free attack against them
    Whenever you used a smite attack you got a free trip attempt, if you knocked them down you got another free attack
    whenever you used smite evil and stunning blow you added 2 to your DC
    You gained your shield and armor bonus vs touch AC, and kept wis to AC from monk (even in heavy armor and heavy shield)
    You had full unarmed damage progression
    You had up to 5th level divine spells and psychic warrior powers, and through the use of Holy Warrior + spontaneous cleric as long as you had 5th level spell slots you got +5 to damage on all attacks, and you were a 15th level cleric for turning
    Finally you could use your turn undead attempts to Smite gaining cha to hit and +15 damage. It was pretty fun until I deleted the whole thing with a stupid missclick
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

4. - Top - End - #4

SamuraiGuy

i really wish i could have seen it as that sounds perfect for what i was looking for thanks for responding though you both suggested some nice builds i will try to recreate the second one, though i have no clue how.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

fighter 4, monk 5, cloistered cleric 1, pally 2, fist of zouken 10, ordained champion 5, deadgrim 5, sacred exorcist 4, psychic warrior 1. I dont remember the rest, and the order of levels was extremely important at the beginning
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

thank you i will try to figure it out