New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default MFoV Homebrew base classes/archetypes balanced?

Hey, board. I’ve been paging through the Middle Finger of Vecna (MFoV from here) homebrew stuff and have found that I really enjoy a lot of what I’m seeing. My husband DMs most of the games I play in and he’s generally totally fine with homebrew. However, I don’t particularly like feeling overpowered or unfairly better than other players. Conversely, I don’t want to play something trash either. Haha

My questions are:
    1) In your opinion, are the base classes by MFoV balanced, overpowered, underpowered, etc.? Do any of them stand out as too good or garbage?

2) I won’t ask you to rate all the archetypes, but: Are their any archetypes for existing classes that you have perused, seen, played, or otherwise enjoy? Could you point me that way?

3) Are there any other fairly large databases of quality homebrew that’s well written like MFoV? I don’t care for the DnD wiki’s homebrew section. Half of them are unfinished or keyblade wielders for some reason.

Thank you so much if you decide to post a response. And thanks anyway for reading.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MFoV Homebrew base classes/archetypes balanced?

It depends alot on the base class and race combination i disallow craftsman dvati combos.
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'm clearly too biased to really contribute here but this is a topic that's come up before, so maybe have a leaf through some of the previous discussions we've had on this? Those are the two most recent, I sure you can find some more with a bit of digging.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    I'm clearly too biased to really contribute here but this is a topic that's come up before, so maybe have a leaf through some of the previous discussions we've had on this? Those are the two most recent, I sure you can find some more with a bit of digging.
    Speaking of which hey nails whats the rule on dvati craftsman.
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

5. - Top - End - #5

Also, while you're here, sorta..

I'm getting to try out the Warmage class (the latest version that was published, Complete edition), and... the DM is worried that it'll be too strong.
    Something about 'bonuses on bonuses'.
    I personally don't agree with it being super powerful, but.. I haven't been able to play it yet.

I said that we should see how strong it actually is in actual play, because white-room theorizing doesn't really do any kind of build justice.

I was hoping if you had anything I could relate to the DM in question to ease his worries.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sariel Vailo View Post
    Speaking of which hey nails whats the rule on dvati craftsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    I'm getting to try out the Warmage class...

I was hoping if you had anything I could relate to the DM in question to ease his worries.
    You'll have to ask Jay - the Craftsman and Warmage are both his work (Dvati is Mike's) and I don't get involved much in the playtesting because I'm on a different continent to everyone else... The other option, if you're on our Discord, is to ask the people on there. I know that several of the regulars have experience playing both of those classes in real games.

I do believe Jay's been tweaking the Warmage a bit recently. There were a few overpowered combos that needed nerfing; I don't know whether the changes have been pushed out onto the blog yet.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

7. - Top - End - #7

You'll have to ask Jay - the Craftsman and Warmage are both his work (Dvati is Mike's) and I don't get involved much in the playtesting because I'm on a different continent to everyone else... The other option, if you're on our Discord, is to ask the people on there. I know that several of the regulars have experience playing both of those classes in real games.

I do believe Jay's been tweaking the Warmage a bit recently. There were a few overpowered combos that needed nerfing; I don't know whether the changes have been pushed out onto the blog yet.
    I'm not on the Discord. Sounds like an option.
    I also check the blog every couple of days/week, and I haven't seen anything for the Warmage yet.

I'm making a Gnome Warmage, with the House of Pawns archetype.
    With some careful picking of Tricks, I've wound up with 50ft of movement/climb speed.
    I also didn't take all the damage things, kinda making myself more of a tank than anything.

I'm hoping it'll be a lot of fun. And not anymore OP than something like a Warlock or Cleric would be.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I actually started one of the previous topics linked to up there and here’s what I think.

I contribute to MFOV on Patreon so I leaf through their stuff pretty often. With few exceptions, they do a realy solid job. Most of their races are excellent. Most of their subclasses are terrific. I was really drawn to the Witch, I love the flavor, abilities, and the complete version has some REALLY cool archetypes.

...But I think it has some issues. If you look at the previous topic, you’ll see some adjustments I decided to make. A couple of features were just too damn good. Such as a Grand Hex that broke the capstone on Chariama- at level 11.

I glanced at Craftsman and Warmage a couple of times, but they aren’t very interesting to me as a concept so I haven’t really eyeballed the balance. I really like MFOV, abd most of their stuff is worth using, but be careful and take it with a pinch of salt. If something worries you, don’t be afraid to nerf/axe it. It’s also worth noting that Witch is one of their older works- and one of their first classes. They’ve gotten better and better as they’ve gone along.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Even if they don't have a Reaction, they can now talk through "brief utterances", which certainly includes stuff like "Help!", "Assassin!!", or "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!"

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    Also, while you're here, sorta..

I'm getting to try out the Warmage class (the latest version that was published, Complete edition), and... the DM is worried that it'll be too strong.
    Something about 'bonuses on bonuses'.
    I personally don't agree with it being super powerful, but.. I haven't been able to play it yet.

I said that we should see how strong it actually is in actual play, because white-room theorizing doesn't really do any kind of build justice.

I'll give you some more feedback on the craftsman soon, but I haven't personally seen much in the way of OP issues there.

Warmage still needs a BIT of love, since not all of its features really interact the way they are intended to. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you a breakdown of how it's supposed to set up.