New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1125 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    By that logic, Elan's the one who triggered Miko's fall because he destroyed the gate, which made her chase down the Order. Or Roy triggered it by chasing Xykon and hiring Elan, who destroyed the gate, and Belkar, who set about to try and break her. Or Xykon is responsible because he occupied the gate, causing Roy to chase and find him there, and so on.
    And that was exactly the oracle's point: the term "cause" is so vague that it's often impossible to say whether A caused the death of B, so Belkar's question is at best poorly phrased and at worst bad. He was also critical of Roy's question.
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As was already discussed, every event has multiple causes, starting with the creation of the universe (widely regarded as a bad move). Remove any one of those causes, and something different happens. Belkar was somewhere in the causality chain for a whole lot of events.

Some people take responsibility for every event where they are part of the chain. Some people take responsibility only if caught red-handed. Both extremes are kinda neurotic in my layman's opinion.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Well, just to clarify, the question Belkar asked was whether he would cause the death of any of these people, not all of them.
    But he didn't say that Belkar wouldn't cause the death of all of them. In fact, he didn't say that Belkar wouldn't cause the death of everyone in the world. Therefore we can conclude that Hel's plan succeeds and it's Belkar's fault.
    Last edited by MartianInvader; 2018-06-23 at 10:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Imo, the problem with that thing is that Belkar was nowhere near the only cause of Miko's breakdown. The entire Order has a hand in it, and they're hardly the most responsible for it, so I really don't think imputing Belkar as the cause of anything concerning Miko is fair. The worst thing he did was provoke her to combat.
    And honestly, I highly doubt that killing Belkar at the end of their fight would have caused her to become Fallen.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    And honestly, I highly doubt that killing Belkar at the end of their fight would have caused her to become Fallen.
    After rereading the relevant comic I came to the same conclusion. If Belkar had pushed her to the brink then surrendered, he'd have stood a better chance of making her fall.

Wait a minute... How did we get here again?

6. - Top - End - #246

I don't know, but the whole thing is starting to remind me of the arguments that ended up getting 'morally justified' turned into a ban-worthy topic.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    The difference is intent. Belkar pulled Miko's string, setting her off.

If you light off fireworks, you're responsible for any fires they start.
    I don't disagree that Miko was responsible for her actions. I disagree that Belkar was not responsible. He did exactly the same thing as lighting a stick of dynamite and tossing it. Is he not responsible for the damsge it causes, even if someone else tosses it somewhere else before it explodes?
    Bullhonky. Belkar's actions towards Miko don't amount to anywhere near what you're crediting him with.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    After rereading the relevant comic I came to the same conclusion. If Belkar had pushed her to the brink then surrendered, he'd have stood a better chance of making her fall.

Wait a minute... How did we get here again?
    All roads lead to Miko or alignment arguments. It's this forums equivalent of Godwin's Law.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    All roads lead to Miko or alignment arguments. It's this forums equivalent of Godwin's Law.
    So how was Godwin responsible for Miko's fall?
    Last edited by 137beth; 2018-06-23 at 05:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So how was Godwin responsible for Miko's fall?
    She could only tolerate people calling her fascist up to a point.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #251

Only because Han shot first.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Okay fine, Miko, alignment arguments, or Star Wars.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

In this case, Belkar stabbed Blackwing because he was protecting V.

I'm wondering how much he's being manipulated by Ponchula and how much is him following Roy's order witb a new interpretation? Roy might have an opening here if he tells Belkar his original idea was better.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Clearly, the gods are responsible for it all, since they created the world upon which such crimes could be committed.

Agency is a lie.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

In this case, Belkar stabbed Blackwing because he was protecting V.

I'm wondering how much he's being manipulated by Ponchula and how much is him following Roy's order witb a new interpretation? Roy might have an opening here if he tells Belkar his original idea was better.
    “Kill the cleric” isn’t the idea you want in his head if you’re trying to get him to STOP blocking your clerics from healing people.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

16. - Top - End - #256

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Only because Han shot first.
    He only shot first because the Balrog didn't have wings.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay fine, Miko, alignment arguments, or Star Wars.
    I think we could have a metric of how good a strip is based on how long it takes for the forum to go offtopic.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    I think we could have a metric of how good a strip is based on how long it takes for the forum to go offtopic.
    We have already elevated Miko to Star Wars status. This is itself a metric of how good the strip is.

Now we need a name for base units. Let's say 1000 Annikins = 100 Leias = 10 Lukes = 1 Han. Miko would rate at least 8 Lukes and 7 Leia.

Belkar, fortunately, already has a scale for his personality, so we don't need to do a Greedo-Vader-Tarkin scale.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    The "Gusion Metric" calculates the quality of a strip by the following formula:

G=(P*N)/(1+S)

G=Gusion Metric
    P=Number of pages the thread has after a week
    N=Number of pages before arguments over alignment, Miko, gender identities, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings comes up. (equals P if never brought up)
    S=Number of pages the thread has that mention at least once one of the previous topics after a week.

Example 1, if a thread has 20 pages after a week, people started discussing Han after 10 pages, and mentioned him in 1/2 of the pages past that (5 pages), that strip has a G value of 33,33.
    Example 2, if a thread has 10 pages after a week, people never bring up any of those topics, that strip has a G value of 100.
    Example 3, if a thread has 30 pages after a week, people started discussing Han after 10 pages, and mentioned him in 1/2 of the pages past that (5 pages) for the next 10 pages, then came back on topic, that strip has a G value of 50.

I feel this formula undervalues P (or (P-S)), but I've wasted way too much time on it already XD
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

20. - Top - End - #260

Lizardfolk

G=(P*N)/(1+S)

G=Gusion Metric
    N=Number of pages before arguments over alignment, Miko, gender identities, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings comes up. (equals P if never brought up)
    S=Number of pages the thread has that mention at least once one of the previous topics after a week.

Example 1, if a thread has 20 pages after a week, people started discussing Han after 10 pages, and mentioned him in 1/2 of the pages past that (5 pages), that strip has a G value of 33,33.
    Example 2, if a thread has 10 pages after a week, people never bring up any of those topics, that strip has a G value of 100.
    Example 3, if a thread has 30 pages after a week, people started discussing Han after 10 pages, and mentioned him in 1/2 of the pages past that (5 pages) for the next 10 pages, then came back on topic, that strip has a G value of 50.

I feel this formula undervalues P (or (P-S)), but I've wasted way too much time on it already XD
    The Gusion metric is invalid if the comic involves Hilgya in even a passing way, as the arguments over whether she's really evil will subsume all other arguments up to the Miko point (the 'infinite vanishing point' of forum shouting, if you will)

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

)...but I've wasted way too much time on it already
    Since when has that ever stopped anyone here?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Here's how I think things will play out:

Spoiler
    Show
    Durkula will try to tell Hilgya what to do, only for Roy to remind her how much she hates Durkon, causing her to try and break free. Durkula will be stuck trying to play Shroedinger's Durkon, because he's either Durkon, so the dominated OOTS members will obey him, or he's not Durkon, so Hilgya will obey him. I imagine he'll get stuck trying to play both, and Hilgya will break free in the process (being a selfish, chaotic individual, having anyone order her around is something she finds offensive to her existence, Durkon doing so is merely especially so), and she'll end up casting a Magic Circle against Order to help her allies.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    The Gusion metric is invalid if the comic involves Hilgya in even a passing way, as the arguments over whether she's really evil will subsume all other arguments up to the Miko point (the 'infinite vanishing point' of forum shouting, if you will)
    Only in the presence of weirdos.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

G=(P*N)/(1+S)

G=Gusion Metric

Wow.

I'm impressed.

25. - Top - End - #265

If I were DM, I'd rule Hylgia to auto-save against domination gaze, because it is against her very nature to obey ANY commands.

Then again, I'm a mediocre DM ;-)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    If I were DM, I'd rule Hylgia to auto-save against domination gaze, because it is against her very nature to obey ANY commands.

Then again, I'm a mediocre DM ;-)
    The reason that Domination only gives an additional save chance for commands against their nature is because its magical mind control, not magical persuasion. The target is being magically compelled to do something whether they want to or not. Somebody weak willed like Belkar could still fairly consistently be forced to perform acts against his nature (like, I dunno, working to revive a drowning person), whereas somebody like Thanh who has above-average willpower has a much better chance of breaking free.

Regardless, "being a contrarian" isn't enough to be immune to domination, nor should it be.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #267
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Regardless, "being a contrarian" isn't enough to be immune to domination, nor should it be.
    Indeed. If it was, every player would play a pigheaded contrarian as a matter of course.

What?

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Zombra View Post
    Yep. Stabbing the Oracle resolved that plot hook rather definitively.
    This. I thought it was a given that the whole "caused the death" debate was only something the Oracle used to highlight how vague Belkar's question was phrased, the Oracle knew Belkar would kill him and wanted it to happen, so he had to come up with some kind of explanation to throw him off the scent (because if he had outright told him something like "Well there's still time", it's not impossible Belkar might have figured it out, I mean all he had to do was take one look out of the window before stabbing him). Whether or not the prophecy was actually resolved by the deaths Roy or Miko is really beside the point.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post

Also surely the inveterate contrarian has a very clearly advertised lever on which domination can work. I guess in game terms that is not how domination works, but if it was a real thing I bet it would be part of it.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

G=(P*N)/(1+S)

G=Gusion Metric

I'm really impressed with how much thought you put into that, but, as it has been said, in this forum, maybe I shouldn't
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"