New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 161 Does knocking a creature out prevent instant death from massive damage?
    A161: No.

Damage at 0 Hit Points. If you take any damage while you have 0 hit points, you suffer a death saving throw failure. If the damage is from a critical hit, you suffer two failures instead. If the damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum, you suffer instant death.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 161 To clarify what I meant, if a melee attack would deal enough damage to a creature to reduce it to 0hp and still have enough remaining damage to exceed the creature's maximum hp, would it matter if the attacker wanted to knock out the creature or not?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R161: Yes it would. (Emphasis below is mine.)

Knocking a Creature Out
    Sometimes an attacker wants to incapacitate a foe, rather than deal a killing blow. When an attacker reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack, the attacker can knock the creature out. The attacker can make this choice the instant the damage is dealt. The creature falls unconscious and is stable.

So the moment the attacker knows her blow will be fatal she can “pull her punch” and instead render the creature unconscious.
    A161. No it wouldn't.

A creature falling to 0 hp or below automatically falls unconscious. This rule says that when your damage causes this ('the instant the damage is dealt'), you can choose to not let it bleed out ("it becomes stable"), so it doesn't need to make death saving throws. The rule says nothing about negating excessive damage. The general rule of "taking damage at 0 hp" still applies: "If the damage equals or exceeds [the creature's] hit point maximum, [it suffers] instant death." (PHB p. 197).

This even matches common experience, for once. It is not uncommon that people try to knock somebody else out but their punch hits so unintendedly hard or in such an unfortunate location (it "crits") that the victim dies anyway.
    Last edited by terodil; 2018-12-09 at 09:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by terodil View Post
    A161. No it wouldn't.

A creature falling to 0 hp or below automatically falls unconscious. This rule says that when your damage causes this ('the instant the damage is dealt'), you can choose to not let it bleed out ("it becomes stable"), so it doesn't need to make death saving throws. The rule says nothing about negating excessive damage. The general rule of "taking damage at 0 hp" still applies: "If the damage equals or exceeds [the creature's] hit point maximum, [it suffers] instant death." (PHB p. 197).

This even matches common experience, for once. It is not uncommon that people try to knock somebody else out but their punch hits so unintendedly hard or in such an unfortunate location (it "crits") that the victim dies anyway.
    R161: Thank you for the correction! I’ve deleted that post.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q162 Is there a spell that makes you learn the information of or that creates a copy of a written non-magical document?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    No. The rules are very easy to understand here:

While climbing or swimming, each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain), unless a creature has a climbing or swimming speed.

If you have a Climbing speed you use that. If you don't, you calculate it based on your movement speed. Even if your Climbing Speed is 0 ft (how?), you still have a climbing speed.
    R 158

To clarify, I'm going to post exactly the rules I was referring to before:

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, p.182
    While climbing or swimming, each foot of movement costs 1 extra foot (2 extra feet in difficult terrain), unless a creature has a climbing or swimming speed. At the GM’s option, climbing a slippery vertical surface or one with few handholds requires a successful Strength (Athletics) check. Similarly, gaining any distance in rough water might require a successful Strength (Athletics) check.
    So, if I have 20 Climbing speed and 60 Walking speed, my question is whether I can climb 20 feet (using my 20 Climbing speed), and use the remainder of my 40 Walking speed to climb at double the cost.

The concern here is whether depleting my 20 Climbing Speed (to now be 0) counts as not having a Climbing Speed, in relation to the bolded line in my quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    R 158

To clarify, I'm going to post exactly the rules I was referring to before:

So, if I have 20 Climbing speed and 60 Walking speed, my question is whether I can climb 20 feet (using my 20 Climbing speed), and use the remainder of my 40 Walking speed to climb at double the cost.

The concern here is whether depleting my 20 Climbing Speed (to now be 0) counts as not having a Climbing Speed, in relation to the bolded line in my quote.
    A 158
    Speed is not depleted. Even after you've climbed 20 feet, you still have a climb speed of 20. But you've expended movement equal to your climb speed.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2018-12-10 at 02:16 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

8. - Top - End - #458

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A 158
    Speed is not depleted. Even after you've climbed 20 feet, you still have a climb speed of 20. But you've expended movement equal to your climb speed.
    R 158

Would this imply that someone with Climb Speed 20 and Walking speed 60 can only climb 20 feet,
    But someone with only Walking Speed 60 can climb up to 30 feet?
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

This rule says that when your damage causes this ('the instant the damage is dealt'), you can choose to not let it bleed out ("it becomes stable"), so it doesn't need to make death saving throws.
    R161

NPCs don't usually make death saving throws; only if the DM finds it appropriate to the situation. Normally, NPC opponents just die instantly at 0HP. The "knock unconscious" rule negates that effect.

For creatures (including PCs) that would normally need to make death saving throws, that is also negated because the "knock unconscious" rule makes the attacked creature stable. Either way, we're not talking about taking damage while at 0 HP; that imposes death save failures (and renders the creature no longer stable).

The actual question is whether the text (quoted by E’Tallitnics) negates the clause about massive damage ("Massive damage can kill you instantly. When damage reduces you to 0 hit points and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum.") To me, by saying "rather than deal a killing blow", it does. It's a specific exception to the general rule (both general rules, actually: the one about NPCs dying when they hit 0 HP and the one about massive damage).

Powers &8^]

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

R 158

Would this imply that someone with Climb Speed 20 and Walking speed 60 can only climb 20 feet,
    But someone with only Walking Speed 60 can climb up to 30 feet?
    R158

That seems like a relatively rare case, but yes, by RAW that would be correct. I'm fairly certain it's not what's intended, though; either the character should be able to choose which speed to use to climb with (choosing between climbing 30 feet, or climbing 20 and then being able to walk another 40), or the character should be able to deduct additional climbing distance from his walking speed, at the usual ratio.

Powers &8^]

11. - Top - End - #461
    Banned

Planetar

Do you have a move speed?
    Yes
    You use that. If not, half move speed.

Very, very simple.

12. - Top - End - #462

Do you have a move speed?
    Yes
    You use that. If not, half move speed.

Very, very simple.
    I don't think it's very, very simple in this case.

If someone climbs up to their maximum climbing speed, is that person eligible to spend their normal walking speed at twice the rate to climb further?

5th Edition Homebrewery

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    R161

NPCs don't usually make death saving throws; only if the DM finds it appropriate to the situation. Normally, NPC opponents just die instantly at 0HP. The "knock unconscious" rule negates that effect.

For creatures (including PCs) that would normally need to make death saving throws, that is also negated because the "knock unconscious" rule makes the attacked creature stable. Either way, we're not talking about taking damage while at 0 HP; that imposes death save failures (and renders the creature no longer stable).

The actual question is whether the text (quoted by E’Tallitnics) negates the clause about massive damage ("Massive damage can kill you instantly. When damage reduces you to 0 hit points and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum.") To me, by saying "rather than deal a killing blow", it does. It's a specific exception to the general rule (both general rules, actually: the one about NPCs dying when they hit 0 HP and the one about massive damage).]
    1. The PHB states: "Most DMs have a monster die the instant it drops to 0 HP, rather than having it fall unconscious and make death saving throws." -- This is clearly descriptive, not normative, and furthermore describes a deviation ("rather than"). It thus has no bearing on the rules; it certainly isn't one.

2. We are indeed talking about taking damage while at 0 HP. Damage that exceeds the remainder of a creature's HP is half the reason why we have the rule about massive damage in the first place (the other half being the case where a creature already at 0 HP gets hit *again*, this time with massive damage). If your statement were correct in that damage exceeding the remaining HPs were not "damage at 0 hp", the ancient red dragon would need *two* attacks to kill a level 1 nobody (or a fluffy bunny for that matter), because the first attack would only send it to 0, making the remaining 48 damage vanish in a puff of smoke (and making the nobody/bunny unstable, but that's irrelevant).

3. The writers could easily have worded the situation like they did for certain class and monster abilities: 'You can choose to fall to n HP instead.' They didn't use such a wording, neither did they say anything about excessive damage being negated.

You are reading something into this passage that isn't there. There are no specific rules to override the general rule here, so that rule stands: Massive damage can kill a creature -- even if the attack was intended to "knock out".

Edit: Just to visualise: Imagine a giant using his club trying to knock a bunny out (because said giant has a pet bunny at home that is very lonely, so he's trying to catch it a friend to play with). I'd like to see how that'd work out. Or well... I'd rather not. Poor bunny.
    Last edited by terodil; 2018-12-10 at 07:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Banned

Planetar

I don't think it's very, very simple in this case.

If someone climbs up to their maximum climbing speed, is that person eligible to spend their normal walking speed at twice the rate to climb further?
    No.

Letters.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

No.

Letters.
    Instead of 'Letters' you could've said: 'Unless they use the Dash Action, which specifically gives you extra movement on your turn, at the cost of being unable to do anything else with your Action.'

Anyway, MOG: Different modes of movements do not stack; if anything, they overlap if/when relevant.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-12-11 at 12:51 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q162

If I am holding (not wielding, simply holding) multiple daggers/darts in my left hand and have multiple attacks and I attempt to throw them with my right hand is taking the dagger from my left hand to my right to throw them considered “object interaction”?

I will make a thrower work one way or another dang it.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Q162

If I am holding (not wielding, simply holding) multiple daggers/darts in my left hand and have multiple attacks and I attempt to throw them with my right hand is taking the dagger from my left hand to my right to throw them considered “object interaction”?

I will make a thrower work one way or another dang it.
    A162. I believe there is no RAW answer to this, but I think it would be similar to drawing and nocking an arrow before shooting. So, technically I see no reason to not allow throwing multiple daggers if you have multiple attacks. Besides, I don't see where's the harm anyway. A dagger deals 1d4 damage, and has a very short range when thrown.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-12-11 at 12:58 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

18. - Top - End - #468
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Instead of 'Letters' you could've said: 'Unless they use the Dash Action, which specifically gives you extra movement on your turn, at the cost of being unable to do anything else with your Action.'

Anyway, MOG: Different modes of movements do not stack; if anything, they overlap if/when relevant.
    Even then, no.

Letters.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Even then, no.

Letters.
    Did you even read the whole post? My point was that using Dash is the RAW way to accomplish what MOG asked.

Also, that was unnecessarily bitter and petty.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-12-11 at 03:51 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

Planetar

Using the Dash Action does not allow you to move at half your movement rate when climbing if you have a climb speed.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-12-11 at 04:00 AM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

1. The PHB states: "Most DMs have a monster die the instant it drops to 0 HP, rather than having it fall unconscious and make death saving throws." -- This is clearly descriptive, not normative, and furthermore describes a deviation ("rather than"). It thus has no bearing on the rules; it certainly isn't one.

2. We are indeed talking about taking damage while at 0 HP. Damage that exceeds the remainder of a creature's HP is half the reason why we have the rule about massive damage in the first place (the other half being the case where a creature already at 0 HP gets hit *again*, this time with massive damage). If your statement were correct in that damage exceeding the remaining HPs were not "damage at 0 hp", the ancient red dragon would need *two* attacks to kill a level 1 nobody (or a fluffy bunny for that matter), because the first attack would only send it to 0, making the remaining 48 damage vanish in a puff of smoke (and making the nobody/bunny unstable, but that's irrelevant).

3. The writers could easily have worded the situation like they did for certain class and monster abilities: 'You can choose to fall to n HP instead.' They didn't use such a wording, neither did they say anything about excessive damage being negated.

You are reading something into this passage that isn't there. There are no specific rules to override the general rule here, so that rule stands: Massive damage can kill a creature -- even if the attack was intended to "knock out".

Edit: Just to visualise: Imagine a giant using his club trying to knock a bunny out (because said giant has a pet bunny at home that is very lonely, so he's trying to catch it a friend to play with). I'd like to see how that'd work out. Or well... I'd rather not. Poor bunny.
    R161

1. I agree it has no bearing; you were the one that raised the topic of death saving throws. My point is that whether the creature would make death saving throws or simply die instantly at 0HP is irrelevant to the application of the "knock unconscious" rule.

2. No, we are not talking about taking damage at 0HP. In the massive damage case, when the creature drops to 0, the damage has already been taken. The only question is whether the excess damage exceeds the creature's maximum HP. That excess damage is not applied to the creature; the creature doesn't take it again after reaching 0HP. It's just a number that is compared to the creature's maximum HP to determine another effect. And I have no idea what you're talking about with "would need *two* attacks"; the massive damage rule is quite clear that it would only take one.

3. I'm not sure what your proposed parallel wording would look like, but the 5e designers aren't known for their consistency of phrasing anyway. All we can do is look at the text of the rule. And the rule says that "the instant the damage is dealt" the attacker can choose to knock the creature unconscious "rather than deal a killing blow". Death from massive damage is a killing blow, and is a state that is only evaluated after the damage has been dealt. So the attacker deals damage -- at that instant, he can decide to knock unconscious rather than kill the creature. Since the massive damage is what would kill the creature.... what else would be negated if not the massive damage?

Re: your Edit: This is RAW, not "how should 5e best model reality?". In reality, it should be very difficult to knock anyone out without killing her, but they put in a simple rule that allows it in order to make for better storytelling. The alternative (see earlier editions) was more realistic but a lot more frustrating.

Powers &8^]

22. - Top - End - #472
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    2. No, we are not talking about taking damage at 0HP. In the massive damage case, when the creature drops to 0, the damage has already been taken.
    Partially taken. You seem to read somewhere that the remaining part of the damage gets negated. Where?

The only question is whether the excess damage exceeds the creature's maximum HP. That excess damage is not applied to the creature; the creature doesn't take it again after reaching 0HP.
    I'm not arguing to have the creature take the excess damage twice, just once, which might trigger death from massive damage; whereas you are not having the creature take any of the excess damage at all, thus preventing the massive damage rule from operating in any case where the creature was not already at 0 HP and thus unconscious before the attack in question. Or am I not understanding your argument correctly?

Since the massive damage is what would kill the creature.... what else would be negated if not the massive damage?
    Becoming unstable from hitting 0 HP, for one, which, depending on the DM, might mean instant death for random mooks.

The only thing the rule prevents is the creature becoming unstable, i.e. having to make death saving throws. For reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by Knocking a creature out
    The creature falls unconscious and is stable.
    The rule does not negate any damage, whether massive or not. If you still want to maintain the opposite, please point at the text that says so. This is a discussion about RAW.

Edit: Maybe an example is in order. Creature has 10 HP out of 50 HP max, incoming damage is X, attacker tries to knock victim out.

X<10 : creature lives, not unconscious.
    X=10 : creature lives, unconscious, stable. === KO rule prevented death*.
    X>10, X<60 : creature lives, unconscious, stable. === KO rule prevented death*.
    X>=60 : creature dies from massive damage. === KO rule does not negate damage, so victim is killed. A dead, but stable creature is still dead.

*: As you pointed out, some DMs would have creatures die immediately without any saving throws. In this case, the KO rule prevented a guaranteed death. In the other case, the KO rule prevented a potential death from failing three death saving throws.
    Last edited by terodil; 2018-12-11 at 01:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe it is time to take Q161 to its own thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 161
    I guess my question wasn't so simple. In case there's further debate, I've started a dedicated thread on the subject.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Using the Dash Action does not allow you to move at half your movement rate when climbing if you have a climb speed.
    It appears I may have misread some of the MOG's question, and given partially misleading information as was proven. The latter part of my response still applies: Different Movement Modes do not stack for your turn and they are not interchangeable. They only overlap with each other, when relevant.

For example, if you have a Climb Speed of 30 ft. you don't get this 30 ft. in addition to your normal walking speed. In other words, you can't trade your walking speed for more climb speed.
    Alternatively, if you have a Flying Speed of 60 ft. you can move up to 30 ft. on ground (or Climb 30 ft. using your Climb Speed), and then fly the remaining 30 ft.

However, you can use the Dash Action to gain extra movement, even with a Climb Speed, because it isn't restricted to any specific movement mode. After all, it's 'extra movement' at the cost of your Action, while standard movement doesn't take any actions. As was pointed out elsewhere, "movement != speed".
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-12-11 at 03:41 PM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

26. - Top - End - #476

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    It appears I may have misread some of the MOG's question, and given partially misleading information as was proven. The latter part of my response still applies: Different Movement Modes do not stack for your turn and they are not interchangeable. They only overlap with each other, when relevant.

For example, if you have a Climb Speed of 30 ft. you don't get this 30 ft. in addition to your normal walking speed. In other words, you can't trade your walking speed for more climb speed.
    Alternatively, if you have a Flying Speed of 60 ft. you can move up to 30 ft. on ground (or Climb 30 ft. using your Climb Speed), and then fly the remaining 30 ft.

However, you can use the Dash Action to gain extra movement, even with a Climb Speed, because it isn't restricted to any specific movement mode. After all, it's 'extra movement' at the cost of your Action, while standard movement doesn't take any actions. As was pointed out elsewhere, "movement != speed".
    With that interpretation, though:

Someone with Climb Speed 10 and Walking Speed 30 can climb up to 10 feet.
    Someone with Walking Speed 30 can climb up to 15 feet.

By having a Climbing Speed, that character is worse at climbing.

This is a rare case, but is possible with something like a Tabaxi with a Boots of Speed (which double walking speed).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-12-11 at 04:38 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

27. - Top - End - #477
    Banned

Planetar

That is not "an interpretation" but quite literally what the rules say. Feel free to houserule otherwise.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-12-11 at 04:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seems appropriate that some creatures would be much better at walking or running than climbing. Like a hippo for example.

29. - Top - End - #479

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    Seems appropriate that some creatures would be much better at walking or running than climbing. Like a hippo for example.
    At the same time, though, climbing with a climb speed generally doesn't require Athletics checks, but climbing without a climb speed does.

So the hippo with a climb speed can climb better than a courier without a climb speed, but the hippo can't climb as far?
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-12-11 at 06:20 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

30. - Top - End - #480
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q163
    If I was a level 2 Druid and a Level 1 Barbarian, can I wild shape into an animal and then rage or alternatively rage and then wild shape? The wild shape rules seem to say that you lose all abilities when you wild shape, and it also says you can concentrate on a spell. So does it mean you can rage then wild shape or is it only for spells, or am I just completely wrong and you retain you abilities when wild shaped?